Type keyword(s) to search

S12.E08: Week 7

• Start Topic

JoJo goes on hometown dates with the four remaining bachelors.  First, she visits a family who has been affected by divorce.  Next, she visits a suitor's high school and learns he's not as confident as he seems.  Gossip surrounds one guy; and one bachelor takes her to an old-fashioned barbecue.  At the rose ceremony, JoJo is blindsided by a surprise confession from one of the men.

For me, Chase is by far the hottest. But wow, he has issues from his parents divorce. He is a work in progress and that never turns out well. 

When I see her with the 4 guys, I'd be all in for Luke. No question in my mind. But clearly she was all in for Jordan. She was very nervous meeting his family. 

I still do not get the Robbie appeal. I'm so confused by her interest and attraction for him.

• Love 13

The show is so boring that they have to resort to the old, "To Be Continued" in order to get viewers to hopefully tune back in.  But based on the comments, clearly, most of us don't give a pluck. 

• Love 3

Come the fuck on, you're shedding tears over four guys, Jojo. One of them will pop the question and then break up with you on the plane ride back, two of them will go have normal lives and Jordan Rodgers will never leave the public spotlight. He was on the Bachelorette and his brother is Wisconsin's idea of a canonized saint.

• Love 5
(edited)

[Insert your hometown here] is the perfect place to fall in love!

Chase gets hypothermia walking through snow in loafers and picnicking in wet pants. But, fear not, he hangs his legs off a cliff to dry them off. How does he have a CO without a railing on that stairwell? This guy likes living on the edge...literally. Yet, I like that we see where HE lives rather than just where the PARENTS live.

In an interesting twist, Mr. Chase is interrogated to prove that HE's Here for the Right Reasons, deadbeat dad! A case study of adult children of divorce by the Chase family. JoJo has taught him how to open his heart and made him ready to express love--after a perfect single teardrop. So if he's not F1, this hometown is the audition reel for The Bachelor. 

Jordan's got his Members Only windbreaker on, and he's ready to go...back to high school? Sigh. This move means a) he peaked in high school, b) there is NOTHING in this podunk town, or c) all of the above. Option A is definitely a given; the herd of deer might also imply that C is the correct answer. Family therapy sibling edition with the Rodgers family.

JoJo is begging Jordan for reassurance that it will be forever, so unless he gets hit by an asteroid or HE ends up leaving on his own, they can't even try to pretend it's NOT Jordan. This will probably be the first time that when the lead says "it's always been you," I will be sitting on my couch nodding that yes, yes it has always been Jordan. 

I missed where Robby is from, and I'm even more confused trying to solve it with context clues...palm trees and people walking around in colonial garb (not the Victorian carriage driver, but two people walking in the background with those three-pointed revolutionary hats). Colonial Florida? That's not right. Virginia couldn't possibly have palm trees. And I miss the entire date trying to reconcile early American history and regional climates, perking up just as they go into commercial break to hear Robby ominously saying, "Nothing can go wrong tonight" because OMG that means that everything is going to go SO WRONG! And then after the commercial break I see they're in Jacksonville, FL!! Ok, Florida!! But that was not one of the original 13 colonies, so I'm still confused, but Jacksonville looks lovely; I always pictured it like Tampa.

Robby has a purple plastic wineglass inside of a clear plastic tumbler and I'm even more confused--when you want to look fancy, but you're too drunk to handle delicate stemware. But, focus, Jen! Here comes the drama! A Not Here for the Right Reasons accusation! Everyone drink from your wineglass tumbler sippy cups! Ok, he sort of survived with a half-hearted, "I trust you, but I don't know" from JoJo because she's just not that into you, Robby.

JoJo meets FIFTY of Luke's "closest friends," which means maybe everyone but the only three "uncool people" or recluses in Burnet, TX. Luke's I love you background music has WORDS! Is this Luke's song, or did we miss a surprise performance date and they're squeezing in a pre-paid song? But, I think a background song with words has to have even greater significance than the "love's sweeping journey" instrumental song because then they could play this song after the proposal IF it's Luke! But if it's not Luke, then the producers are all damn it, Chase had a single tear and an emotional breakthrough! If we want Luke to be The Bachelor, then we need a candle path, a flower heart, and a sappy country song!!!

JoJo tells us she's going to get rid of Luke. Luke tells her he's in love with her. That country song was TOTALLY overcompensating!! And now she's in hysterics because there's apparently some difference between whatever he did tell her about having his heart (who could hear over that music?!) and "officially" saying I'm in love with you. Yadda Yadda. Chad on Tuesday! I cannot wait for TMTA!!

Edited by JenE4
  • Love 17
1 minute ago, FlyingEgret said:

If a bachelor doesn't live in a scenic locale, do you think they film the hometown date in front of a green screen?  Also, what was with those funky plastic wine glasses at Robby's house??

Waiting for the day that someone's hometown is some Midwest town with eight houses and a yet-to-be-demolished empty strip mall.

• LOL 1
  • Love 8

Having spent time in J-ville, I was pretty certain we weren't there for the start of Robbie's date.  Turns out it was St. Augustine, which is a little more than an hour south of J-ville.

3 minutes ago, VanSensei said:

Waiting for the day that someone's hometown is some Midwest town with eight houses and a yet-to-be-demolished empty strip mall.

Wasn't that the farmer's hometown date????

• Love 7
4 minutes ago, VanSensei said:

I take it you didn't see Chris Soules' season.  Sorry, couldn't resist.

• Love 7
(edited)

I sure hope that was not Luke's usual "I'm deeply involved with this woman" kiss. TBH, it came over more like a "She has bad breath but I don't know how to tell her" kiss. Or even an "I'm thinking about another woman" kiss.  I've complained about this before with Luke. Although he looks so masculine, so intense, he simply doesn't swoop in and claim Jojo like Jordan does--or like even the other guys do, to one degree or another. Luke's kisses look pretty chaste, and while I originally thought it was because he might have problems with PDAs in front of a bunch of cameras, I don't think that now. 

Was that a photo of young Jordan--the teen with the almost psycho looking eyes?

To me, Jojo's visit with Jordan was the only one where *she* seemed really nervous about coming off well to his family. With the other dates, she seemed very in charge of the situation and not all that nervous.

Can you imagine what Luke's handler/producer must have said to him after his hometown date? "You've got to say it, Bro!! You've gotta put it out there before it's too late! You think the other guys haven't already told Jojo they love her? Of course they have! If you don't tell her ASAP, you're toast!" 

Edited to add one more thing: I was amused when Luke looked around his back yard in little ol' Burnett and could picture Jojo there perfectly, while I was thinking that Jojo must be telling herself "No way could I live in a small town where we have a barbecue and toss bean bags for fun."

Edited by adhoc
I had more stuff to say.
  • Love 6

I have the memory of a gnat when it comes to Bachelor/ette seasons, but why is it now such a thing to peruse the old high school as a part of the date? Ben's season was approximately five minutes ago and had repeated high school visits. It's such a sad and boring thing to do. 

They won't do it, but it is past time to actually cast a Bachelor for next season rather than picking the supposed 'fan favorite' in the Bachelorette's reject pile. Even for the eager fans who would never dream of hate-watching this garbage, it would be a refreshing change of pace to have a completely new character. It's not likely the people vying for their "love" had any idea of who the Bachelor/ette would be anyway when they went through the cattle calls; the next season's casting is well underway already. At this point, it's just blandness perpetuating itself. The top five of most seasons are usually nearly identical slices of day-old white bread. They always immediately connect with their vacuous counterparts, and the ones with any shred of personality and charisma either end up cut early or get bored/drunk and go the zany route, which ends in Paradise, not handing out roses. Cast someone dynamic, and new to the audience and their harem, and it would inject a lot of liveliness into the proceedings. I mean, preferably not yet another white unfortunate-coifed clone, but I'm not going to ask for the world here. Just to not have to see one of these boring ass dudes again all next season.

• Love 13
16 minutes ago, bosawks said:

Those empty chairs at the end of the Rodgers table were the best.

My only disappointment is that they weren't draped in black and surrounded by lit candles....

You just know there were two other people at that dinner who were kicked out so they could film the two empty chairs

• Love 6
(edited)
23 minutes ago, JenE4 said:

How does he have a CO without a railing on that stairwell? This guy likes living on the edge...literally.

I missed where Robby is from, and I'm even more confused trying to solve it with context clues...palm trees and people walking around in colonial garb (not the Victorian carriage driver, but two people walking in the background with those three-pointed revolutionary hats). Colonial Florida?

OSHA is on their way to Chase's house right now to do an inspection. He should expect hefty fines. ;-)

Robby & JoJo were in St. Augustine for their date, though he lives in Jax.  Gorgeous there and a great Old Town area.  

Edited by leighdear
  • Love 3
(edited)

I am liking Chase more and more. He's solid -- low drama, has a real job, is tight with his mom and sister, wipes his feet on the doormat, shakes Robby's hand upon seeing him at the Rose Ceremony. His downfall is that he may not be flashy enough for JoJo - or for America if he is in the running for TB.

Robby's hometown could not finish fast enough. Who really cares about his ex-girlfriend at this point. If there's that much doubt, just cut him (and his pastels) loose. And props to JoJo's ability to whistle. I love that she can be both gorgeous and also a tomboy. 

Aaron's hometown featuring Jordan was cringe-inducing. I like how Jordan made it clear that the situation with Aaron wasn't something they talked about, yet it was all that was talked about. Again, if the guy's relationship with his brother is that big of an issue, just cut him loose. His little snark about Luke's timing when he asked to speak with JoJo at the Rose Ceremony was off-putting. Sadly, I don't think there's anything stopping him from F1. JoJo is SO into him. His swagger at the Rose Ceremony said it all.

Luke. Sigh. What happened. They were hot and heavy in Argentina, on the last one-on-one. I wonder if it was one of those situations where you see someone out of context, and they're no longer who you envision them to be. So, while Luke clearly stood out in the Bachelor crowd, maybe he seemed more commonplace in his comfort zone. Personally I found him even more endearing seeing him interact with his family and friends, but I'm #teamluke. JoJo was very obviously not as into him as he was into her this week. We'll see what happens next week. 

Really liked JoJo's natural charm. She exudes warmth, and the families all seemed to be taken by her. 

Edited by kazza
typo, syntax
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, Armchair Critic said:

Even Jordan's brother and mother had that swoopy hair! 

Yeah, and the dad had the tall head and close set eyes. It all makes sense now!

• Love 8
(edited)

I'm a bit different than the rest of you-I find both Chase and Jordan to be handsome and fun and don't think much of Luke or Robby.

Every season there is a high school date. I'm pretty sure Jordan would not have picked that out himself; who wants to be reminded of high school. I'm sure TPTB pick out the suitor who best fits the athlete role and that is the date no matter what. Chase seems pretty hung up on his parents divorce. Not sure I would bring that up so soon, then again things have to go pretty fast here.

I like JoJo but she annoyed me by constantly talking about Aaron during her hometown date with Jordan. At some point, I expected Jordan to just say " Do you like me or my brother?". Jordan appears to have a loving, close family and that should be good enough. Lots of people don't talk to different family members; it probably will be resolved at some point.

Robby's family seems nice, but i can't deal with his plastic looking hair and he looks like he is going bald. And, unlike the rest of you, I don't find Luke handsome at all and find his personality bland as all hell. I can't imagine someone with an outgoing personality like JoJo spending her life with Luke, but stranger things have happened. Actually, they are all pretty much nice guys and JoJo must be getting a kick out of having four different guys telling her they love her. 

Edited by Madding crowd
  • Love 5

It's definitely Jordan.  she was most nervous meeting his family.  Luke will get his heartbroken and will be the next bachelor.  They can't resist a Texan, horse riding, bow legged veteran who sings.  too good to be true.

1 hour ago, leighdear said:

Well, Aaron Rodgers should be happy to know that his season of The Bachelorette is going pretty well so far.  

It's like the contestants spending their 1:1 time complaining about others.  why spend the family time talking about people who aren't there?  It's like the brother's lack of flying in to tape the bachelorette is a black mark against the family.  Perhaps he couldn't care less.  anyone know if they really are estranged, or if that was for the show?  

1 hour ago, FlyingEgret said:

If a bachelor doesn't live in a scenic locale, do you think they film the hometown date in front of a green screen?  Also, what was with those funky plastic wine glasses at Robby's house??

Ha  I was wondering the same!  What if it's a small apartment in a dumpy part of town? 

1 hour ago, Adeejay said:

I take it you didn't see Chris Soules' season.  Sorry, couldn't resist.

Haha. I was going to say, yeah they did do that! Cornfield in the middle of nowhere with a dead downtown. 

• Love 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, haje said:

Aaron Rodgers probably can't be bothered to watch the show but if he did he'd probably be all like:

tumblr_na1zxrAw0r1tx89wko1_250.gif

Also, if he's estranged with his family now I'm pretty sure them bringing up his name every chance they get and milking this drama for all its worth will only make him even more estranged from them. Jordan bring JoJo to his old High School is pretty much everything you need to know about him. He's the classic "peaked in High School QB who wants to relive his glory days who also happens to be stuck in the shadow of his more famous, more talented older brother" type. 

And I'm pretty sure that Aaron's sitting at home thinking, "wait....this is all my fucking fault?"

The only one I didn't get the "poor pitiful meeeee" vibe from was Mom. Could Jordan and LukeR look any more like younger versions of Big Ed? And yeah, can we talk about the pageant hair on full display? Yowza.

Here's another thing. There was snow on the ground in Colorado. When were these home visits filmed? If it was in the Spring, then Aaron legitimately stayed away, and even if he was on good terms with the rest of the family, who's to say that he wouldn't have bowed out anyway? I mean, the visit was all about him when he wasn't even there! If he was there, Jojo and the audience would be like, "Jordan....who's Jordan?

But, if these visits were filmed in late fall, or early winter, any time from October through January, Aaron was playing ball and he would have been occupied with his JOB, thus, manufactured drama.  

Edited by ChicksDigScars
  • Love 5

Man, was that boring.  And the ending with Luke might be the most staged reality tv thing I've ever seen.  She announces she's going to cut Luke?  Sure.  And right before she does, he feels free to stop production to tell her he loves her.  Talk about a coincidence!  Even the ole "to be continued" didn't create any suspense.

She has no chemistry with Chase at all.  They were acting like they were on their first date the whole time they were together.  Robby?  Please.  The stuff with his ex is just an out for JoJo to use.  She was trying so hard to pretend that she was into them, but she's not that good of an actress.  Aaron, I mean Jordan, is the only one she's into.  Which has been the case since ep. 1.  Too bad he's so sleazy.  This is not going to end well.

• Love 12

If Robby broke up with his girlfriend three months before the hometown dates, is it even possible to do the planning, application process, audition, etc. before the show started taping? How much time passes between the beginning of taping to hometown dates? Robby said he broke up with the girlfriend in December and I don't see how he could have started the process AFTER the breakup. So I do think he broke up with her for the show. Not JoJo, mind you, but the show. I'm not sure how JoJo can't figure it out considering she went through the same process herself. Maybe I'm wrong but I don't see how this adds up.

• Love 7

I'm glad that they talked about Aaron Rodgers during Jordan's entire hometown visit, because I am completely unable to recognize any of these guys without the context of seeing them all together. It didn't help me figure out which one Chase is, but it made things much easier for the rest of the show. I could have wrote myself notes before I watched the episode, but I can't think of any identifying features for Chase and Robbie so it wouldn't have helped.

(edited)

Remember when Lauren and JoJo went to meet Ben's parents and Mrs. Higgins fell in love with JoJo and made it all too clear who she wanted him to chose?  Yeah, I had put that awful situation out of my head, too, until last night when all the moms just absolutely loved JoJo to death and thought she fit right in and was so beautiful and had such a wonderful laugh. What the heck?  Does she smell like hot caramel or something?  I'm older generation myself and most hair like hers reminds me of my natural blonde friend who's hair went dark at the scalp if she didn't wash it often enough.  I wouldn't like all her cuddling and kissing at the table and her shallow conversation and if one of my sons had disconnected from the family it would definitely be heartbreaking to me and not  something I wanted to talk about with a chick I had just met. We need to see more potential MILs from hell, here!

Luke's friends!  I love that they all got to be on TV whether they overwhelmed JoJo or not.

Why didn't we get to see JoJo pet that bulldog since that's her special thing?  Did he snap at her?

Edited by JudyObscure
  • Love 13

Even Jordan's brother and mother had that swoopy hair! 

for some reason, all I could think about tonight was some of the past seasons REALLY BAD hometown visits, there were so many, and so many that the siblings or parents put a damper on the romance, most famously Meredith when she met Lanny's Mom. I wonder if there are you tubes out there of that. I LOVED Lanny but she couldnt ditch him fast enough afterwards. All these Moms seemed to really like Jo-Jo and she does make a very nice impression.

• Love 2

Well, I am in love with Luke. Luke has my heart. I was all ready for her to say she was going to have to cut Robby for obvious reasons or, as she has no taste, poor Chase, so when she said "cut Luke" I didn't hear it for a second and then said out loud to the TV, really loudly, "What?"

The woman is an idiot. What she sees in that cocky little duck in the tight pants, who is smirking his way through all his classic love-lines. Sheesh. Plus he looks like he's got a nappy on under those pants.

Or Robby? With the interesting veins pulsing on his forehead as he tries to make his lies of omission and fudging sound convincing...

Poor Chase's eyes have just lit up. After so many weeks, his little eyes are full of human emotion and it is beautiful. So he'll be next to go, I guess, because he's not enough of a creep, a lying cheating creep, for her taste.

Meanwhile Luke! LUUUUKE! is about to be cut.

• Love 17
2 minutes ago, violet and green said:

The woman is an idiot. What she sees in that cocky little duck in the tight pants, who is smirking his way through all his classic love-lines. Sheesh. Plus he looks like he's got a nappy on under those pants.

Don't forget coyly looking up through his lashes and biting his lower lip after every kiss.

• Love 12
1 hour ago, nlkm9 said:

for some reason, all I could think about tonight was some of the past seasons REALLY BAD hometown visits, there were so many, and so many that the siblings or parents put a damper on the romance, most famously Meredith when she met Lanny's Mom. I wonder if there are you tubes out there of that. I LOVED Lanny but she couldnt ditch him fast enough afterwards.

Lanny! I adored him. 

So she was always letting Luke go, but then he made his heartfelt confession (producer influenced?? Naw, never from those guys!), and then we get the dreaded To Be Continued!! We all know Luke probably leaves. 

This had to be the most boring HTD episode ever. Nothing fun happened. Not even one mom drank out of a bottle!!

• Love 4

In the last insurance ad I saw with the prodigal Rodgers it did not look like he had the floppy hair.  I think I just got to the (hair) root of the family discord.  

Aaron grow out your bangs and save your family!

• Love 7

The moms were all so nice and loving that I started wondering if I'm affectionate enough with my adult sons.  I would be a snark fest if Jojo showed up at my doorstep and hung all over one of my kids at dinner while guzzling wine and talking about herself.   My family is so snarky we text each other at family gatherings when someone says something particularly funny or egregious.   

Where do they find all these nice accepting "I'm so happy my son is in love with you and that you'll f*** one or two other people besides him next week" mothers?  

• LOL 1
  • Love 18
9 hours ago, ChicksDigScars said:

And I'm pretty sure that Aaron's sitting at home thinking, "wait....this is all my fucking fault?"

The only one I didn't get the "poor pitiful meeeee" vibe from was Mom. Could Jordan and LukeR look any more like younger versions of Big Ed? And yeah, can we talk about the pageant hair on full display? Yowza.

Here's another thing. There was snow on the ground in Colorado. When were these home visits filmed? If it was in the Spring, then Aaron legitimately stayed away, and even if he was on good terms with the rest of the family, who's to say that he wouldn't have bowed out anyway? I mean, the visit was all about him when he wasn't even there! If he was there, Jojo and the audience would be like, "Jordan....who's Jordan?

But, if these visits were filmed in late fall, or early winter, any time from October through January, Aaron was playing ball and he would have been occupied with his JOB, thus, manufactured drama.  

The hometowns were filmed in late April so no work conflict for Aaron.   He wasn't there cause he didn't want to be there and the fact that he wouldn't even allow his image to be shown in a family pic is well just sad. 

(edited)

Why is Chase even on this show? He comes off like a regular, nice enough dude that appears to be gainfully employed and live in a nice house that isn't his mother's. Kind of boring sure, but there are plenty of other boring, nice women in the world he could date. Why has he tangled himself up with this debacle of a show...I'm confused. I did feel bad for him with the divorce because it clearly hurt him a lot. 

As for the Rodgers.... I didn't think there could be another person as bitter as Jordan about how much Aaron rules until we met Luke. Yeesh, dude. Get a grip, and a life, and a girlfriend that uses less hairspray. The fumes have gotten to you. Nice to see them all so cozy in their house built for them by that errant brother whose name they won't even say out loud. As for the high school date...seems like every season one dude does that, and maybe there was nothing else to do. Mr. Wovenloaf is from Northern California and tells me Chico is a dump without much going on. He can be unreliable about whether places are a dump or not...but I'm inclined to believe it after we heard Jordan tell us that he used to go hang out in that random ass field every morning as a child? Like wtf was he talking about? Was I just not paying attention? I tend to tune out everything Jordan says that isn't whiny crying about how he isn't Aaron.

Edited by wovenloaf
  • Love 5

JoJo is begging Jordan for reassurance that it will be forever, so unless he gets hit by an asteroid or HE ends up leaving on his own, they can't even try to pretend it's NOT Jordan. This will probably be the first time that when the lead says "it's always been you," I will be sitting on my couch nodding that yes, yes it has always been Jordan. 

I agree--and really, I just feel very done with Jojo. Her wanting to let go of Luke says it all to me, as he was clearly the only one who might have had a chance other than Jordan. I think part of her might even want to send him home for that precise reason--so that she can eliminate any confusion she has about her golden boy that gets stirred up when a guy who might actually be good for her is around. Other B'ettes have been attracted to the player-type guy who is oozing with charm but have managed to get themselves around that and ultimately pick a good or genuine guy. Jojo seems like she decided on day 1 that it was Jordan for her. She has disregarded or explained away everything that has come up suggesting that he's less than a great guy and has eaten up everything kind or complimentary he's said like ice cream. It's not hard to see why she has been in previous relationships with guys who weren't honest or didn't treat her well. It's sad, because Ben might have actually been her best shot at a fairly decent guy, one whom she did not pick herself. As soon as the power to choose is back in her hands, she chooses badly--all the while probably patting herself on the back for creating such a wonderful love story for America to enjoy. I really do believe this is Andi and Josh all over again and will turn out the exact same way, if not worse--because I think Josh did like Andi and wanted to make a go of it, and I think Jordan is not particularly into Jojo beyond the hype and exposure. 

On a shallow note, Jojo's roots looked pretty awful in HD. I'm shocked the stylist hasn't insisted on a touch-up on her highlights. 

• Love 12

God this is so frikkin BORING.  Boring guys, cute but boring bachelorette.  Where's the fun?  Where's the humor? Where's the snark?  How about some sarcasm?  How about some eye rolls?  Chad was a douche but at least he breathed some life into this nonsense.  Enough with the self flaggelation, sobbing uncontrollably about how this is the most difficult decision of your life.

Yes, they are all interchangeable Ken Dolls.  Yes, to whoever said the guys would be in love with whichever girl was on the show, not with JoJo because she's JoJo.  Love?  please. This is so stupid. yet I continue to watch.

• Love 5
12 hours ago, FlyingEgret said:

Also, what was with those funky plastic wine glasses at Robby's house??

IKR?  They're like sippy cups for adults.

Last night I noticed Luke's prominent brow.  This morning on the radio they were talking about Chinese face reading, which says a prominent brow means a man is in control but can also be controlling.  Interesting, given that I felt his BBQ with 50 friends was definitely a test that Jo Jo needed to pass.

• Love 1