Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

To me, CKD means chronic kidney disease (which used to be called CRF, chronic renal failure) because that's a common condition in older cats.  But I have no idea what's being referred to in the commercial with the megaphone speaker, as I've never seen it.

• Love 4
(edited)

Yeah, it's supposed to be Chronic Kidney Disease that 40% of people with Type 2 diabetes are susceptible to. Be very happy you haven't seen the commercial. She STALKS the woman she's yelling at. Megaphone Chick says to ask your doctor for a test (another series of initials - this time, 4) so I don't think it's promoting a drug; it's promoting taking care of yourself, apparently. She writes the initials really large on the glass doors of the freezer section in the grocery store.

ETA: It's a commercial for KidneyAlert.com

Edited by Prevailing Wind
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4
On 5/30/2022 at 5:29 PM, Browncoat said:

How is it that I only just noticed that that stupid "Unstopables" is spelled with only one "p"?  

13 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

And they (whomever is the manfacturer) claim it's on purpose too!

`Probably makes it unique for for trademark reasons.

• Like 1
  • Love 2
14 hours ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

What's CKD?

Something else that's very annoying on commercials is identifying every disease/condition by its initials.

• Like 1
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
2 minutes ago, Haleth said:

Something else that's very annoying on commercials is identifying every disease/condition by its initials.

Every second counts in recording a commercial and saying the name of the condition every time would eat them up.  Been there.

• Fire 1
  • Useful 2
20 minutes ago, cynicat said:

Every second counts in recording a commercial and saying the name of the condition every time would eat them up.  Been there.

Yes, but if you weren’t paying attention and only looked up because of the annoying skyrizi or ozempic song, you are now annoyed and have no idea what the condition being treated is.    At least repeat it again at the end of the commercial - “skyrizi, for itchy hair syndrome.”

• Applause 2
  • LOL 3
  • Love 1
(edited)
On 5/9/2022 at 9:18 PM, SunnyBeBe said:
On 5/27/2022 at 12:24 PM, cinsays said:

i don't really hate the commercials, but does Daisy really sell enough cottage cheese to air their commercials every 5 minutes?

I just bought Daisy cottage cheese for the first time (trying different ones since what I've bought for years is going downhill quality control-wise) and it SUCKS. It has a sweetness to it that is not cottage-cheesy in any way. 

On 5/27/2022 at 8:39 PM, CoyoteBlue said:

I hate the smarmy guy with the hybrid car who rolls into the gas station to use their squeegee and gets smug and pissy when the attendant RIGHTLY POINTS OUT that the squeegee is a free benefit FOR CUSTOMERS. 

If you're saving that much gas money, use it to buy your own damn squeegee, sir, and quit blocking a pump.

I actually like this commercial, because the gas station attendant actor is so good. I totally buy him as the guy he's playing!

On 5/29/2022 at 11:38 PM, Bastet said:

I don't think they're both for her, I think there's a bonus milkshake to be split between the two of them.  I haven't seen the commercial in some time, though, and am too lazy to look -- because, either way, as long as it's a spending the day together treat like presented and not a regular habit, good for Grandma.

What I hate about this commercial is that the grandma slurping through her straw is supposed to be awesomely cute. I disagree. I'm old enough to be a grandma, and I hope my kids would be appalled if I did that. 

Edited by MaryPatShelby
  • Love 4

I wish I had the ability to crawl through my TV to smack the crap out of people who do irritating commercials.  Right now I want to smack that idiot woman for JC Penney’s.  I don’t need her screaming at me that “shopping is back, baby”.   

• Fire 1
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 4
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, KLovestoShop said:

I wish I had the ability to crawl through my TV to smack the crap out of people who do irritating commercials.  Right now I want to smack that idiot woman for JC Penney’s.  I don’t need her screaming at me that “shopping is back, baby”.   

I wish I could shout back at her," And YOU'RE why I'm sticking to local mom-and-pop shops or catalogs instead of jumping back to chains & malls!" 

• Applause 5
  • Love 2
(edited)
6 hours ago, MaryPatShelby said:

What I hate about this commercial is that the grandma slurping through her straw is supposed to be awesomely cute. I disagree. I'm old enough to be a grandma, and I hope my kids would be appalled if I did that. 

I am no fan of eating/mouth sounds (like seriously hate them with a fury), but straws just sometimes make that noise no matter who is using them, especially at the end of the drink. I’m confused as to what the grandma did wrong (not criticizing your annoyance, just curious).

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, chessiegal said:

Hershey's commercial with the family making s'mores: I find the way the young girl is directed to distort her face to be creepily disturbing.

I actually just noticed this and laughed. I thought she was just being a goofy-ass kid at the beginning when they are all coming outside.

• Love 2
13 hours ago, 2soon2tell said:

Yes, but if you weren’t paying attention and only looked up because of the annoying skyrizi or ozempic song, you are now annoyed and have no idea what the condition being treated is.    At least repeat it again at the end of the commercial - “skyrizi, for itchy hair syndrome.”

Or not, depending.  I don't want to hear "... for erectile dysfunction, or ... for vaginal infections."  Having a crew singing about diarrhea-aa" is enough for me!

• LOL 7
(edited)

A Panera commercial just told me that some chicken sandwich features a “secret aioli.” Not a secret-recipe aioli, mind you, just a secret aioli. TBH, it’s funnier to me than it is annoying.

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • LOL 7

I don't like a series of commercials for Gametime (a secondhand ticket marketplace) where they have someone who bought tickets for a sporting event at the last minute taunting the person next to them for having bought tickets in advance and paid more.  The guy is just minding his business, not being a jerk or anything, and they keep rubbing it in his face, even changing the setting so that they're taunting him about paying too much for concert tickets too.  (That one has a woman, and there's another one where the guy catches a T-shirt shot from a cannon and the guy next to him gets a bag of cash and starts yapping about how little he paid.)  It is very rude, and it probably bothers me because I would usually get tickets for things ahead of time.  If there are tickets available that need to still be sold and they get them cheaper, good for them.  But it could be promoted in a less annoying way.

• Love 9
On 6/4/2022 at 10:35 AM, KLovestoShop said:

Isn't that Melissa Villasenor from Saturday Night Live?  Not that you can't think she's annoying in the commercial, I was just curious.

15 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

A Panera commercial just told me that some chicken sandwich features a “secret aioli.” Not a secret-recipe aioli, mind you, just a secret aioli. TBH, it’s funnier to me than it is annoying.

Is a "clean secret aioli" or a "dirty secret aioli"?  Inquiring minds want to know.

• Wink 1
  • LOL 8
(edited)

Just saw a commercial for a windshield replacement company that touts its ability to show up when someone needs help — even while a customer enjoys a “morning walk.” But when she gets her confirmation text that says something like, “we’ll be there between 4 and 4:30 pm,” she gleefully says to her friends, “I have a few more minutes.” I don’t know how I even caught that, but come on now!

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/bOQe/safelite-auto-glass-service-that-fits-your-schedule

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 1
(edited)

Fiji water. Ancient volcanic rock. Double the electrolytes. Not just water. Laughing is supposed to be good for your health.

Edited by nokat
  • LOL 3
  • Love 2

Now that the Chrisleys have been found guilty on federal charges that should make their Nutrisystem commercial finally go away. Their surgically and whatever other way altered faces especially his creep me out and the two of them are awful people.

• Love 8
16 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

Isn't that Melissa Villasenor from Saturday Night Live?  Not that you can't think she's annoying in the commercial, I was just curious.

Aww, that's a shame, I love her deadpan delivery on SNL, I think she is funny.

I do think it is interesting they found the one JCP that is still open and not just an online store.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Baltimore Betty said:

Aww, that's a shame, I love her deadpan delivery on SNL, I think she is funny.

I do think it is interesting they found the one JCP that is still open and not just an online store.

The one at Christiana Mall in Delaware is still open but I doubt they filmed the commercial there.

55 minutes ago, Bruinsfan said:

I'm just glad that if one celebrity is going to be hawking EVERYTHING on TV, at least he's not one I find problematic.

Yeah, I find him inoffensive enough even if he does seem to be everywhere.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
47 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

The one at Christiana Mall in Delaware is still open but I doubt they filmed the commercial there.

Yeah, I find him inoffensive enough even if he does seem to be everywhere.

yeah, there are 15 JCP stores open in Georgia, the one near me is fairly busy

and, yeah, much prefer to see Shaq to some of the others you see all over

• Love 1
1 hour ago, proserpina65 said:

I pass that mall on my way to Philadelphia and never stop to shop.  The JCP's in my neck of the woods are all dark now.

• Sad 1
  • Useful 1
(edited)
2 hours ago, cinsays said:

yeah, there are 15 JCP stores open in Georgia, the one near me is fairly busy

and, yeah, much prefer to see Shaq to some of the others you see all over

I'll take ten Shaq ads over one J.J. Walker commercial any day of the week.

Now that the Chrisleys have been found guilty on federal charges that should make their Nutrisystem commercial finally go away. Their surgically and whatever other way altered faces especially his creep me out and the two of them are awful people.

USA is still flogging their show like nothing's happened.

Edited by peacheslatour
  • Like 4
  • Sad 1
  • Love 3
23 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

I'll take ten Shaq ads over one J.J. Walker commercial any day of the week.

I'd take Shaq, J.J. Walker and Joe Namath and put them in a sack and throw them in a river.

• Fire 3
  • LOL 5
  • Love 1
On 6/4/2022 at 12:49 PM, chessiegal said:

Hershey's commercial with the family making s'mores: I find the way the young girl is directed to distort her face to be creepily disturbing.

I'm sure my dislike for the little girl has something to do with my loathing of Hershey's (I subscribe to the "Hershey's tastes like vomit" school of thought), but I find her sadly unprepossessing (trying to be gentle here, in case her parents are reading).

More on commercials that annoy etc:

I can't stand the one with the woman in the supermarket getting orgasmic over Gain scent beads - whatever the hell those are.  I've told my family that if they ever find me acting like this over a cleaning product they can go ahead and shoot me.

How can something be called "Just Egg" if there's no egg in the product?  You'd think there would be some egg regulatory body that would be crying fowl foul.  (Sorry, couldn't resist, and I'm not even a dad.)

• LOL 7
  • Love 2
17 hours ago, LexieLily said:

Virgin Cruises.

What exactly is this commercial promoting about this cruise line? It's for parents of bratty, always-get-their-way kids that they have to take an exclusive adults-only cruise to get away from them?

Ah, but if they'd stayed virgins, they could have just stayed home and save their monies! 

Shouldn't the cruise line and airline change the name to 'Virginity Tolerated'?

• Fire 1
17 hours ago, LexieLily said:

Virgin Cruises.

What exactly is this commercial promoting about this cruise line? It's for parents of bratty, always-get-their-way kids that they have to take an exclusive adults-only cruise to get away from them?

Okay, as a parent and as a teacher, I can guarantee you there is a waiting list to get on that boat.  We went out for happy hour a week ago and we led into an area that had two kids and mom and dad.  Kids (8 and 10?) were bickering over the Ipads, loudly as Mom and Dad ignored them.  I was like hold up, we can not be seated here.  We listen to that for six hours a day and I can't listen to it after work.  The server was very understanding and placed us elsewhere.

Waaaay too many kids today run the household.

744cf1ec1cfbd36613efb8d6dcf0fd1b.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Useful 2
  • Love 7
19 hours ago, LexieLily said:

Virgin Cruises.

It's promoting that there will be no children on board, which I suspect will be a huge plus for them.  I fully endorse child-free cruises.  If I were inclined to take a cruise, Virgin Voyages just might get my money on that basis.  The kids in the commercial are horribly bratty.  Reminds me of why so many species eat their young.

5 hours ago, Leeds said:

How can something be called "Just Egg" if there's no egg in the product?  You'd think there would be some egg regulatory body that would be crying fowl foul. 

Yeah, that would seem to be intentionally misleading.  (I loved the joke, though.)

• Like 3
  • Love 7

Virgin seems to be working on expanding the consumer base for adults only cruises from folks without children to those with kids who are vacationing without them.  Makes sense as a marketing strategy.  In terms of the commercial, I'm not sure if we're supposed to read that the kids were brats to start or if they are acting out because their parents are going on a cruise. However, I see the emphasis as being on the parents getting a break.  Plenty of parents who like their children would still enjoy an adults only vacation. Kids go to camp or to visit grandparents - why not a cruise for adults?  OK, I think I just wrote a more positive version of the commercial for them. 

• Like 5
  • Love 8
9 hours ago, Leeds said:

How can something be called "Just Egg" if there's no egg in the product?  You'd think there would be some egg regulatory body that would be crying fowl foul.  (Sorry, couldn't resist, and I'm not even a dad.)

They could at least have called it "I Can't Believe It's Not Egg".

• Applause 2
  • LOL 5
  • Love 1

I can't stand the way Christina Haack-El Moussa-Anstead-Hall uptalks in the Jacuzzi bath remodel commercials. Every sentence sounds like she is constantly asking questions.

"Jacuzzi bath remodel? combines safety and style? so you don't have to compromise, because wherever you're at in life, you deserve to start? and end your day? in a spectacular space? designed just for you." 😖

• Applause 5
  • Love 5
5 hours ago, shoovenbooty said:

I can't stand the way Christina Haack-El Moussa-Anstead-Hall uptalks in the Jacuzzi bath remodel commercials. Every sentence sounds like she is constantly asking questions.

"Jacuzzi bath remodel? combines safety and style? so you don't have to compromise, because wherever you're at in life, you deserve to start? and end your day? in a spectacular space? designed just for you." 😖

Yeah, if the person shilling for the product isn't sure of its alleged benefits, why should any customers be willing to consider the claims to buy it?

• Love 2

I totally detest the Uber Eats commercials. The one with the woman eating a tube of lipstick and the one with the guy eating a roll of tape because they were delivered by Uber Eats.  I really hate them.  I get it.  Uber Eats now delivers stuff other than food.  Just say it and quit acting stupid.  These commercials do NOT entice me to use Uber Eats to deliver anything.  Ever.   And they are on so often.  Enough already.

• Love 13

There's a new commercial out which I hope will die an early death. I don't know what it's for, but it begins with a loud smoke alarm! What is wrong with these people? They just alienate me.

• Sad 1
  • Love 2

The credit card commercial where they change their category, to get more rewards irritates me.    The one where the woman sets the smoke alarm off, every time I think my alarms are going off, and soon all of them will trigger.