Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, Colleenna said:

The latest Limu commercial  --- the emu wedding.  Ugh.

The only thing stopping me from going into a rant is that I read they use CGI and not real emus, at least most of the time. I liked the running one, this one is awful. I really hate when they put clothes on animals. I don't even like it when people dress their pets for Halloween.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, dgpolo said:

The only thing stopping me from going into a rant is that I read they use CGI and not real emus, at least most of the time. I liked the running one, this one is awful. I really hate when they put clothes on animals. I don't even like it when people dress their pets for Halloween.

At least now we know his name is Kevin.

There's two Invisalign commercials I can't stand. One has a kid standing in front of a school bus saying "don't worry about it girlfriend" except when he puts his Invisalign on he sounds all muffled. Why would I wear a device in my mouth that makes under people not understand what I'm saying?

The other one has a girl with braces eating popcorn and they zoom in on her braces full of popcorn and that is something I don't need to see. Popcorn was the one thing I stopped eating when I had braces because getting one of those shells stuck between your gum and the bracket is the worst.

• Love 7

The other one has a girl with braces eating popcorn and they zoom in on her braces full of popcorn and that is something I don't need to see. Popcorn was the one thing I stopped eating when I had braces because getting one of those shells stuck between your gum and the bracket is the worst.

Oh gross!

• Love 2
On 4/27/2022 at 8:07 AM, Colleenna said:

The latest Limu commercial  --- the emu wedding.  Ugh.

My only hope is that Mrs. Limu will nag Mr. Limu to stop doing commercials

• LOL 11
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, katalizt said:

There's two Invisalign commercials I can't stand. One has a kid standing in front of a school bus saying "don't worry about it girlfriend" except when he puts his Invisalign on he sounds all muffled. Why would I wear a device in my mouth that makes under people not understand what I'm saying?

It only makes you sound muffled until you get used to it being in your mouth and you adjust to talking with it in. Takes 3-4 days to sound totally normal, but even day 2 is noticeably less muffley. I suspect they advertise with muffle because there's some subconscious thing where people seeing it in but not hearing a difference would find that less believable.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
13 hours ago, theatremouse said:

It only makes you sound muffled until you get used to it being in your mouth and you adjust to talking with it in. Takes 3-4 days to sound totally normal, but even day 2 is noticeably less muffley. I suspect they advertise with muffle because there's some subconscious thing where people seeing it in but not hearing a difference would find that less believable.

That makes sense about taking a few days to get used to it realistically but the entire appeal of Invisalign is that you don't notice it like braces so I guess I just don't understand the marketing strategy of making it seem more noticeable.

• Love 2
On 4/25/2022 at 1:53 PM, Tom Holmberg said:

This isn't new.  I can remember many 50s and 60s sitcoms with the episode where men have to do housework and destroy everything instead.  Often its the clothes washer pouring a tsunami of suds across the room and obviously they burn anything they try to cook..

YWr6SnW.jpg

• Love 6
On 4/25/2022 at 11:53 AM, Tom Holmberg said:

This isn't new.  I can remember many 50s and 60s sitcoms with the episode where men have to do housework and destroy everything instead.  Often its the clothes washer pouring a tsunami of suds across the room and obviously they burn anything they try to cook..

One time my mom was abroad and I went over to visit my dad, and he was like, "tell me if I've been doing laundry right" and proceeds to show me how much detergent he'd been putting in. Scoops and scoops. Total strategic incompetence.* My first thought was that I wondered whether he was disappointed that it didn't bubble out of the machine so he could show me what a mess he'd made of it.

*This is someone who always reads the instructions thoroughly.

• LOL 6
  • Love 5

I don't know if this is even relevant, but I was reminded of it regardless: once, my dad wanted to make ramen noodles (from a package; he wasn't, like, crafting fresh Asian food). Anyway, seeming to be baffled as to how to neatly break up the dry noodle clump, he got a plastic shopping bag with handles, put the unopened package of ramen into it, and proceeded to swing the bag around and slam it against the counter top. 

• LOL 15
  • Love 1

The Geico diner lady — the one who thinks she’s an introvert — is so annoying that I think I am actually impressed with the actress! She is so good at being “that person” that I despise her!

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • LOL 4
  • Love 14

Talking about old commercials. The one most women hated, even back then, was about Geritol (basically an energy potion back in the olden days). Guy says, "My wife, I think I'll keep her."

Hardy har har. Now, you die!

• LOL 10
  • Love 3
20 hours ago, Crashcourse said:

That Mike Slocumb dude advertising his law firm.  I wish I could punch him in his face. 

The amusing part of moving two hours away when I retired was I thought I would leave Mike behind, and the local social security disabiliity lawyer.    I was so wrong, they both followed me here.    The list on the commercial where Mike practices is really bizarre.   

I find it hysterically funny when they show all of the injury and other attorney ads in the two hour Judge Judy block they run where I live, and they run the same commercial two or three times in a row.   

The disability firm is a woman who specializes in SSD claims,   For years I thought her name was Vicki, but I finally saw a pop up with it spelled out, and her name is Micki.        

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 3
7 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

What?

Oops!   I thought her name was Vicki, but it's really Micki.   

Corrected to: The disability firm is a woman who specializes in SSD claims,   For years I thought her name was Vicki, but I finally saw a pop up with it spelled out, and her name is Micki.       

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
On 4/28/2022 at 5:15 PM, katalizt said:

So did I.   I had braces for about a year and a half when I was in my early 20s so I was highly motivated to take good care of my teeth such as flossing once a day, even with the braces.  Getting food stuck was one of my major concerns then. 

Anyway, about the Invisalign commercial with the woman reminiscing about her braces experience back in the day and we see her younger self struggling with rolling down a car window … what does that have to do with anything?  To tell us how long ago it was?

• Love 1
43 minutes ago, Cobb Salad said:

Anyway, about the Invisalign commercial with the woman reminiscing about her braces experience back in the day and we see her younger self struggling with rolling down a car window … what does that have to do with anything?  To tell us how long ago it was?

Before they show the mom struggling, she says to her daughter about how easy things are today - remotes to roll down blinds, no braces (Invisalign) compared to what she went through - therefore we see her braces, and struggling to roll down the car window. She's comparing how things are now to when she was younger. Advances in technology she didn't have.

• Love 1
(edited)
On 4/24/2022 at 12:16 PM, dleighg said:

speaking of Goldman Sachs (sort of), Morgan Stanley are apparently now the "owners" of the eTrade baby. And "he's back" as I see the ad with the helicopter about 300 times per day.

Is the eTrade baby going to DO anything? What is the point of having him "back" if he's not doing anything?

But he is doing something, or maybe we're talking about different commercials.....he's coming out of retirement, getting his onesies, and going back to help investors NOT manage their money by memes!!!!!

Edited by MaryPatShelby
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
On 4/28/2022 at 5:24 PM, peacheslatour said:

Oh gross!

I gotta say, getting  popcorn  hulls trapped under your denture totally sucks. I never needed braces as a child, but now I can totally understand your pain.

• Love 6
On 4/29/2022 at 1:24 PM, 2soon2tell said:

The Samsung ad with some young woman jogging at 2 in the morning really makes me feel creeped out.

I've read about some of the reaction to that one, but honestly it doesn't bother me at all.  Maybe because I know women who jog late.

On 4/29/2022 at 3:26 PM, Crashcourse said:

That Mike Slocumb dude advertising his law firm.  I wish I could punch him in his face. 

Yeah, the commercials with William Shatner were bad enough, but the real guy?  Ugh.

On 4/27/2022 at 6:13 PM, Prevailing Wind said:
On 4/27/2022 at 1:52 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

Yes, Limu is the commercial star, Kevin is just an annoying Emu buttinski at the wedding.  

And Doug must be the company's emu wrangler.

And Doug is an officiant as well.  Yeah it's time for Lime Emu and Doug (and Kevin) to see their way out.  The commercials were funny 3 years ago but they are just tired and stale.  

Oh and the wedding cake made in the design of Liberty Insurance?  No. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 4

"Jenna" for Balance of Nature annoys me no end. 

"I eat really healthy, smoothies, solids" (I know she says "salads" but I hear it as "solids" as a counterpoint to "smoothies" and can only think of babies starting to eat solid food) and...

"It's just impossible to eat enough fruits and vegetables"

NO IT IS NOT IMPOSSIBLE

and a stupid pill is not the same as really eating fruits and vegetables.

• LOL 1
  • Love 17
1 minute ago, KLovestoShop said:

The Bingo game commercial where the girl with two muffins on her head talking nonsense.  Who the hell talks like “It all bout da game, bout da game”. It like an ice pick in my brain. 

The original song on which it's based was an ice pick in MY brain. 

• LOL 6
  • Love 2

Some lady on a Klondike commercial pronounces the word “eyebrow” as “eyebrowl.” Is that a thing I don’t know about?

Also, a thing that really annoys me in commercials for food is “mmmmm, [name of food].” I really don’t know why, but it gets on my damn nerves.

• Love 1
16 hours ago, dleighg said:

"I eat really healthy, smoothies, solids" (I know she says "salads" but I hear it as "solids" as a counterpoint to "smoothies" and can only think of babies starting to eat solid food) and...

NO IT IS NOT IMPOSSIBLE

and a stupid pill is not the same as really eating fruits and vegetables.

I yell at all the people pushing this crap.  Eat veggies, people!

13 hours ago, KLovestoShop said:

The Bingo game commercial where the girl with two muffins on her head talking nonsense.  Who the hell talks like “It all bout da game, bout da game”. It like an ice pick in my brain. 

That's Meghan Trainor.  She wrote the song.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 4/30/2022 at 6:47 AM, Ms Lark said:

Talking about old commercials. The one most women hated, even back then, was about Geritol (basically an energy potion back in the olden days). Guy says, "My wife, I think I'll keep her."

I forgot about Geritol!!!

• Love 1
On 4/30/2022 at 7:47 AM, Ms Lark said:

• Love 4
On 5/3/2022 at 5:40 PM, dleighg said:

NO IT IS NOT IMPOSSIBLE

And I heard a new ad for this product on the radio just now. The guy says that he's asked nutritionists about this product, and they tell him "no, no, you should eat actual fruits and vegetables."

He then says "well I don't like fruit, and there are only a few vegetables I like, so I'm going to take this product instead."

So I guess the product has the balls to actually put out that nutritionists (that is, people who have training in the subject) basically think you shouldn't take the product LOL.

• LOL 1
  • Love 6

There's another one for this product that starts by asking "When is the last time you went through a drive through.." for fast food. 

Ummmm..at least 8 years ago.  

I guess if you spend all your time/money on fast food, you probably DO need these pills. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
On 4/26/2022 at 1:43 PM, TattleTeeny said:

If it helps at all (and I am sure it won't), it appears that the so-called "drawers" are actually regular drawstring basketball shorts? To be honest, what I hate most about that commercial is the Flashdance theme. I hate that movie and I hate that song too! And I hate the miming of water falling on the man! 

I am apparently so hateful today! Maybe because I saw that stupid-ass Fairlife milk and cereal commercial that is just so stupid.

No that doesn't help much. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 1

I remember the burning nuns, too!  And still use that phrase on occasion.  Do y'all remember the strudy tube?

As far as annoying commercials, the Universal Studios one with the crash test dummies (possibly all the Universal Studios ads) annoys me with how they spell "Whoa" at the end.  It's not "woah", it's whoa.  (Otherwise, it's a good ad.)

• Love 5

Spectrum sucks…both their lousy internet sevrice..I work from home and have issues fairly often..and their terrible commercials. The one with the monsters dinner is super annoying and on constantly and now it appears the monsters are back in a new ad on a baseball field. Also, the actor/actresses in the previous small business ads were smug and annoying.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I remember the burning nuns, too!  And still use that phrase on occasion.  Do y'all remember the strudy tube?

As far as annoying commercials, the Universal Studios one with the crash test dummies (possibly all the Universal Studios ads) annoys me with how they spell "Whoa" at the end.  It's not "woah", it's whoa.  (Otherwise, it's a good ad.)

Thank you!  "Woah" is like nails on a chalkboard.

• Love 2