Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

• Start Topic

On 11/8/2021 at 10:55 AM, TheCrankyCreative said:

Wow, the new campaign for Marcus by Goldman Sachs is terrible. Not only does it manage to make Rosamund Pike completely unappealing - something I thought was surely impossible - but that tagline - "You can money" - makes me want to knock the smug, stupid smile off the ad creators' smug, stupid faces.

I just saw this one for the first time and was just completely flummoxed about how tone deaf it is.  

• Love 3

The newest one to earn my undying hatred is the Kohls holiday commercial that uses a cover of the Beatles' "From Me to You" sung by Ane Brun in a voice so quavery Stevie Nicks is somewhere going "damn, girl, get some throat lozenges!"

• LOL 14
  • Love 5
On 11/8/2021 at 10:55 AM, TheCrankyCreative said:

Wow, the new campaign for Marcus by Goldman Sachs is terrible. Not only does it manage to make Rosamund Pike completely unappealing - something I thought was surely impossible - but that tagline - "You can money" - makes me want to knock the smug, stupid smile off the ad creators' smug, stupid faces.

Yeah, if GS was intending to make their brand more relatable to the unwashed masses, they failed.

• Love 3

I hate the Flo commercial where she cancels the filming with all of the cute animals.   Progressive really screwed up with that one. 

Before this commercial I only found Flo irritating, but now I really can't stand her. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 7

Has anyone seen the one with a Christmas morning scene, where the grandmother is sitting on the couch, and then the young teenage son holds out his hand to her to dance? The grandfather puts the record on and they dance to the Beatles' "With Love From Me to You? It's not obnoxious but it makes no sense. The grandmother didn't know what the kid wanted when he put out his hand, and if it was the grandparents' song, why didn't they dance together, which still seems an odd thing to do on Christmas morning. It is sweet, but just kind of odd.

• Love 10
8 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I hate the Flo commercial where she cancels the filming with all of the cute animals.   Progressive really screwed up with that one. 

Mittens is still pissed.

• LOL 18
  • Love 5
10 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

IMO, that company 'really screwed up' the 2nd time Uno Wutt appeared despite a good number of viewing public despising and sick of her after her initial appearance.

Still, maybe just maybe they may get enough flak over that ad to FINALLY dump Uno Wutt (and lump a severance payment to the performer). 

• Love 2

this one has been around a while, didn't see it for some time, but I've always hated it and now it's back in rotation. It's from Discover Card, young woman says "I can get ma maonnee!" I want to smack her upside her head. Thank goodness for the mute button.

And along similar lines, it's for Everlywell or Everlyhealth or something. I remember the Everly part because I'm a big Everly Brothers fan, may they rest in peace. Young woman lists all the things she could be allergic to and that she could take them all out of her diet and put them back in one at a time or she could find out what's actually the problem. "I'm gonna do that!" It the smug way she says that, that makes me want smack her upside the head.

• Love 8
On 11/4/2021 at 2:59 AM, cynicat said:

Since this subject comes up in here about this time every year, it's probably worth bookmarking this SNL commercial.  

You beat me to it!

My response to these ads is: Who are these people who can afford to give cars as gifts...and will they adopt me?

Edited by Scout Finch
  • LOL 11
12 hours ago, susannah said:

Has anyone seen the one with a Christmas morning scene, where the grandmother is sitting on the couch, and then the young teenage son holds out his hand to her to dance? The grandfather puts the record on and they dance to the Beatles' "With Love From Me to You? It's not obnoxious but it makes no sense. The grandmother didn't know what the kid wanted when he put out his hand, and if it was the grandparents' song, why didn't they dance together, which still seems an odd thing to do on Christmas morning. It is sweet, but just kind of odd.

That's the one I mentioned above. I don't mind the commercial narrative so much, but that song has earwormed me terribly and with my car in the shop (along with my ABBA Gold CD in its glove compartment) I think I may have to resort to watching Mamma Mia! tonight to clear it out.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Bruinsfan said:

That's the one I mentioned above. I don't mind the commercial narrative so much, but that song has earwormed me terribly and with my car in the shop (along with my ABBA Gold CD in its glove compartment) I think I may have to resort to watching Mamma Mia! tonight to clear it out.

Yes it's in my head too. Out! Out, I say!

Old Navy has annoying and irritating commercials all year long, but now we have the dancing fools jumping around in their holiday plaid and patterned PJs.  I have to mute it as soon as I see the plaid-clad bitch coming out of the chimney.  More dumb dancing, then they move to an outdoor scene where everyone had piled onto some kind of trolley cart and a grandma is out in the street wearing her pajamas with a big smile and arms held out for a hug, from someone.  Makes no sense.

17 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

Before this commercial I only found Flo irritating, but now I really can't stand her. 

I don't understand why Flo is such a buzzkill about the cute animals.  Even Mara loves the animals and she's supposed to be the snarky one.  Makes no sense.

• Love 7
13 minutes ago, CrystalBlue said:

I don't understand why Flo is such a buzzkill about the cute animals.  Even Mara loves the animals and she's supposed to be the snarky one.  Makes no sense.

I think the whole ad is a set up so Jamie can say "Someone needs to tell Mittens. She's a Diva.", which cracks me up every time.

Edited by chessiegal
  • LOL 4
  • Love 4
6 hours ago, Blergh said:

IMO, that company 'really screwed up' the 2nd time Uno Wutt appeared despite a good number of viewing public despising and sick of her after her initial appearance.

Still, maybe just maybe they may get enough flak over that ad to FINALLY dump Uno Wutt (and lump a severance payment to the performer). 

Okay, I think I must have missed something but which one is Uno Wutt?   We’re talking about the Progressive  ads, right?

• Love 4

The NHL  is airing a commercial during hockey games talking about the addition of the Seattle Kraken to the league.  The guy at the end screaming "Release the Kraken" is on my last nerve.  I wish the friggin' Kraken would eat him.

• LOL 9
  • Love 2
4 minutes ago, Gramto6 said:

I even googled and binged the name and came up with nothing!! No clue who that is...

I think it might be referring to Mara and her too busy/bored/bitchy/bothered to care attitude.

• Useful 2
21 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I think it's Flo.

I thought it was Flo too but nothing on searches...

Searched Flo and she is Stephanie Courtney...

Mara is Natalie Palamides..

Edited by Gramto6
who the heck is Uno Wutt???
9 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

9 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

Okay, I think I must have missed something but which one is Uno Wutt?   We’re talking about the Progressive  ads, right?

Sorry, folks! I just am so SICK of the one who name is spelled F-L-O that I've termed her 'Uno Wutt' (You Know What) so I can avoid having to type that character's name. 

Edited by Blergh
  • Love 2

I just saw an ad that is not only gross, it makes NO sense. A grandfather sneezes at the dinner table, and then everyone at the table starts these huge sneezes...I sure wouldn't want to eat that dinner! then I see that the ad is for a cleaning product for CPAP wearers, which treats sleep apnea. WHAT does that have to do with everyone sneezing on their dinner?

12 hours ago, madmax said:

The NHL  is airing a commercial during hockey games talking about the addition of the Seattle Kraken to the league.  The guy at the end screaming "Release the Kraken" is on my last nerve.  I wish the friggin' Kraken would eat him.

• LOL 4
  • Love 2

Huh. That's the only reference to a Kraken I've seen outside of the episode of the tv show The Wild Wild West titled "The Night of the Kraken" where the villain (Ted Knight) creates one to terrorize seamen in the San Francisco Bay. Pretty good representation. 

• Love 2
33 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

Huh. That's the only reference to a Kraken I've seen outside of the episode of the tv show The Wild Wild West titled "The Night of the Kraken" where the villain (Ted Knight) creates one to terrorize seamen in the San Francisco Bay. Pretty good representation. 

I only know it from the movie Clash of the Titans.

• Love 4

This Humira commercial with the two chicks doing (I assume) a podcast annoys me for no good reason (other than I am a mean impatient asshole this week). First, the way the bowel-issue lady gazes sadly and longingly at the other woman’s onion ring is a bit much. Then, at the end, they’re outside being ladylike ladies with tea near a fire. For whatever dumb reason, I felt annoyed that they weren’t having a beer or something instead, haha! Also, mean me assumes their podcast is so boring! It’s probably about the best places to buy a “Live, Laugh, Love” wall hanging! 

Oooh, I am being such a jerk about this! Maybe I need a beer by the fire.

I hate this one too. Especially the way bowel-issue lady pretends to eat her hamburger at the end of the ad. Maybe the podcast is about her bowel issues. Maybe she's all, "Oh, my God. If I had a dollar for every time I went to the bathroom yesterday, I'd have enough money to buy a Mercedes with a big ass red bow on top."

• LOL 7
  • Love 2
On 11/11/2021 at 8:33 AM, friendperidot said:

And along similar lines, it's for Everlywell or Everlyhealth or something. I remember the Everly part because I'm a big Everly Brothers fan, may they rest in peace. Young woman lists all the things she could be allergic to and that she could take them all out of her diet and put them back in one at a time or she could find out what's actually the problem. "I'm gonna do that!" It the smug way she says that, that makes me want smack her upside the head.

While the everly whatever ads annoy me, the one that really gets me is the extra special woman who eats "clean" and learned from the test that she is sensitive to AAAAHHHHH-maaaaaands.  For the rest of us, those are almonds.  She talks likes she is exhausted getting the words out.  Maybe she should see a doctor regarding her diminished energy and lack of affect?  

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
4 minutes ago, PrincessPurrsALot said:

While the everly whatever ads annoy me, the one that really gets me is the extra special woman who eats "clean" and learned from the test that she is sensitive to AAAAHHHHH-maaaaaands.  For the rest of us, those are almonds.  She talks likes she is exhausted getting the words out.  Maybe she should see a doctor regarding her diminished energy and lack of affect?  

I have the same problem with the "medical school is very stressfu....snrk...snore..." woman.

• Love 8
9 hours ago, mmecorday said:

I hate this one too. Especially the way bowel-issue lady pretends to eat her hamburger at the end of the ad. Maybe the podcast is about her bowel issues. Maybe she's all, "Oh, my God. If I had a dollar for every time I went to the bathroom yesterday, I'd have enough money to buy a Mercedes with a big ass red bow on top."

But   ,thanks to her bowel issues, wouldn't she have already gotten so sick of dealing with her own backside on the seat  so as not to need require said bow?

2 hours ago, Ghost of TWOP Past said:

I just assumed it was some rapper. It's no stupider than some of their real names. 

Well, my term for the one in the Progressive ads with the name starting with F and ending with O with an L in the middle evidently wound up being Google proof so I guess that's something.   

• LOL 3
1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

Yep.

And this woman is supposedly a doctor and here she is pushing snake oil in the form of “all natural” hair growth stuff - and says “you can’t argue with clinical proof” but doesn’t give a single example.  I know MDs push herbal snake oil all the time but this example is especially annoying!

• Love 6
18 minutes ago, OldStandard said:

And this woman is supposedly a doctor and here she is pushing snake oil in the form of “all natural” hair growth stuff - and says “you can’t argue with clinical proof” but doesn’t give a single example.  I know MDs push herbal snake oil all the time but this example is especially annoying!

Everything about her gets on my nerves. Her flat affect, her awful hair, her air of superiority and her lack of any discernible personality. What nitwit thought she'd be a good spokesperson for their product?

• Love 7

OMG I HATE the Facebook commercials where they "interview" employees about their "jobs" and how fabulous Facebook is.  Because A) Facebook is not fabulous (not that I know this since I'm not connected), and 2) those people are AWFUL!  

And it's such an obvious ploy to get us to not hate Facebook.  

Blech

• Love 8
19 minutes ago, ebk57 said:

OMG I HATE the Facebook commercials where they "interview" employees about their "jobs" and how fabulous Facebook is.  Because A) Facebook is not fabulous (not that I know this since I'm not connected), and 2) those people are AWFUL!  

And it's such an obvious ploy to get us to not hate Facebook.  

Blech

Facebook: Not even once.

• LOL 4
  • Love 5

I posted several weeks ago about the Volkswagen Taos commercial that was playing incessantly during the World Series.  You know the one.  The people that sing off key, cuts from situation to situation, the worst guy is the one who sings "grab a taco because it's late".  

Now apparently there is a NEW Taos commercial, with the same kind of tune.  But with different people who sing even more off key.  Makes me wish for the original one.  

What's with Volkswagen inundating sports events with these commercials?  I guess perhaps they've determined the viewing demographic could use a Taos?

• Love 2

I don’t know if this is a local or national company but the series of commercials with people laying flat on their new floors and seeming to be unable to function because they love their new floors so much makes me wonder if they were already near to passing out or whether the floor emitted some hallucinogenic drug that renders their brains useless!

• LOL 18
  • Love 1
On 11/11/2021 at 1:22 AM, susannah said:

I have to admit, I much prefer that version of the song to the original.  (I actually thought it was Dolly Parton; it sounds a lot like her.) Of course, I'm not a Beatles fan.

On 11/11/2021 at 4:16 PM, chessiegal said:

I think the whole ad is a set up so Jamie can say "Someone needs to tell Mittens. She's a Diva.", which cracks me up every time.

She's so adorable in her little band uniform.  Although I would not have wanted to be the cat wrangler who got her into it.

On 11/11/2021 at 9:24 AM, Blergh said:

I think there are plenty of viewers who like Flo as dislike her, probably even more.  Hell, I like most of the Flo commercials. This thread is hardly an objective sample.  (Uno Wutt?)

On 11/11/2021 at 11:33 AM, friendperidot said:

this one has been around a while, didn't see it for some time, but I've always hated it and now it's back in rotation. It's from Discover Card, young woman says "I can get ma maonnee!" I want to smack her upside her head. Thank goodness for the mute button.

I keep telling her to go to her doctor instead, but does she listen to me?

On 11/11/2021 at 3:26 PM, susannah said:

Yes it's in my head too. Out! Out, I say!

I actually like that version of the song and am not yet tired of it.  I imagine I will be by the time the neverending Christmas season is over, though.

• Love 8
On 11/12/2021 at 12:10 PM, peacheslatour said:

I only know it from the movie Clash of the Titans.

For me, it's that movie (the cheesy original, not the stupid remake) and Game of Thrones.

On 11/12/2021 at 2:46 PM, PrincessPurrsALot said:

For the rest of us, those are almonds. 

Pronunciation of that word varies greatly.  I, for one, don't really say the 'l'.  It is more like "ahmonds" when I say it.  That commercial is annoying as hell, though.

• Love 3
On 11/9/2021 at 8:38 PM, Maverick said:

So the Medicare Martha commercial.  She's a cranky, hateful old biddy....and I'm so here for this bitch!  Seriously, she is so over the top and campy I can't help but laugh every time she's on.   I hate the Medicare ads but I'll take her over "IT"S FREEEE" anyday.  

I'd rather watch Joe Namath or Jimmie Walker that freaking Martha.  I don't want to watch them either, but they're better than Martha.

• Love 5