Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

The latest commercial that irritates me is the one for Nurtec. This is a medication for migraines and I had migraines when I was younger a lot and I know deep down the only thing that really bugs me about this commercial is the fact that they're using one of the Kardashians to sell it and it's personal but I would never buy anything ever recommended to me ever by a Kardashian. The commercial even appears to have Kloe at a photo shoot (but what other skills do they have?) Then we see her do sthe pose face and purse the lips. Ugh.  The entire time the ad is on, all i can think is maybe you wouldn't have gotten migraines if you didn't spend all your time putting collagen and Botox and whatever other chemical into your face!  I know this ad is probably only irritating to me, but just putting it out there and hoping im not alone makes me feel better. Otherwise i would have to take the damn migraine meds everytime i see the ad.

• Love 16

The current commercials that ENRAGE me the most are all of the ones claiming to help seniors enhance their Medicare. It is all one just big con trying to get you to allow them to contact you and offer you all of this stuff they say you're entitled to but then they're trying to sell you life insurance or they're trying to sell you something "additional or supplemental card", nothing is for free but these ads are very deceptive.  I am fortunate enough to have a social worker and a person who works with insurance all day long in my family and even they were fooled by one of the ads that came to my house. The letter  listed as was presented as an update on your Medicare and your Social Security and the next thing you know you have people at your door with all of these packets trying to get you to get this card but you have to turn this over & this here for your new life insurance policy and they will hound you.  I got it all to stop by calling BBB and other agencies.

I am fortunate to have help and as a retired teacher i can spot and put a stop to BS, but it makes me think how many seniors are out there who don't have helpful friends like that and are easily taken in by this it's just infuriating and I get even more angry at the celebrities who are doing the commercials.  I recommend the AARP for help in dealing with these people.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

I hate the commercial where the race guy and his dad are all over the place and all the dad wants to do is find reasons to drive the car hey how bout get the hell outta my life and let me enjoy myself..he comes to find him in a bar sees ONE beer and says "im driving" GET OFF MY GOD DAMN KEYS 

I hate that commercial with the four old hens sitting around the table playing cards and discussing life insurance.

Not sure if it's the same one, but many years ago there was a commercial with two old couples sitting around the table when the phone rings.  Man picks it up, then announces, 'It's Patrick.  He's bought life insurance' all excited like he'd won the lottery.

• LOL 5
12 hours ago, cinsays said:

Goodness, are you unaware there are poor people in the country? 

You don't even have to be dirt poor to kind of poor or barely above poverty line.  You can be a regular middle class working stiff who has a budget to keep to.  One false move and you can be in an ER, Urgent Care, or doctor's office for a mild to moderate malady and the prescription(s) you go home with are through the roof.   Not every drug is a cheap generic either.  Even with insurance, the co-pays can add up.  Anymore info would have to go to small talk.

As a result, I really don't mind the GoodRx commercials I've seen.  I do remember crotch-grabby boy though!  You think they would've re-shot that one with better direction from the director.

• Love 10
9 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

Yup, a bunch of gossiping gabby gurdies, probably auditioning to be the next Gladys Kravitz.  I hate that commercial as much as you do. 

Link?  Just kidding.  😛  I don't know what channel(s) you're watching but I remember some old biddy life insurance convo commercials from a long time ago.  Also one where the friendly over-the-hill waitress at the local diner drops in on a conversation to advise getting Colonial Penn.  No doubt the ladies are discussing their husbands and what will happen to them if and when the old coot croaks or falls off the roof cleaning the gutters, Again!  But this time he doesn't get up.  OR, we have to make sure our children will have a inheritance.  After paying off their final expenses and the grand funeral costs, of course!

• Love 2
17 hours ago, Crashcourse said:

No, they really are chickens!  You should have seen them chicken wings! 

When Sally told her dad that she was going to train the chickens to play poker, he scoffed and said that would never get her off the farm. Now it's Hello Hollywood!

• LOL 11
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

It is listed as a poker commercial.   I seriously doubt those four old ladies are playing poker.   Canasta?   Maybe.  Poker?  I don't think so.   If it is poker, I just hope it isn't strip poker, I don't think I could handle that.

Hey now, old ladies can totally be playing poker!  I resemble that remark.  I doubt it for that commercial only because there are no chips or anything to bet with in sight.  

• Useful 1
  • LOL 4
  • Love 6
3 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

Why did they pull all of the Colonial Penn, Alex Trebek commercials?  Yes, I know he died not that long ago.   Jimmy Dean died a little over ten years ago and his annoying ass commercials are still playing with his voice over and that damn harmonica.   I believe there was a holiday version on not that long ago.

Jimmy Dean's name is on the product. Trebek's isn't on Colonial Penn's. They don't solely rely on AT's fame to sell insurance. Besides, perhaps they respect AT.  We can guess how much respect Dean's company has for him.

• Useful 2
  • Love 7
25 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Jimmy Dean's name is on the product. Trebek's isn't on Colonial Penn's. They don't solely rely on AT's fame to sell insurance. Besides, perhaps they respect AT.  We can guess how much respect Dean's company has for him.

Plus, it's life insurance.  A dead person selling life insurance just doesn't come across as right, if you know what I mean. 

• LOL 11
  • Love 6

For a while they've been building up Johnathan as their spokesperson, even going so far as to have one commercial go into his background.   They showed a mix of Alex and Johnathan commercials and I thought even before Alex passed away the intent was to have someone else established before that happened do they could pull Alex's ads. 

• Useful 6

I love my big screen TV or otherwise I would smash it with a baseball bat every time I see Tom Selleck's jerk salesman face. ARRRGGGGGHHHH! I HATE the ads with him!

HATE! I don't only hate the ads, I hate him! So smug, so condescending, such an utter asshole.

I guess I don't need to elaborate further.

• LOL 2
  • Love 6
On 12/16/2020 at 5:21 PM, chessiegal said:

What's got me wondering about this commercial is the little boy grabbing his crotch as they walk to counter, I have to think it was deliberate, otherwise I'd think they'd reshoot it. Seems like strange stage direction. And all the GoodRX commercials show the same initial price - $67.

Does your child have painful crotch itch and need an expensive ointment? Is crotch rot spreading through his nether regions?  Did your child roll naked in poison ivy?  Get GoodRx so you can treat him for less! 

12 minutes ago, Ashforth said:

I love my big screen TV or otherwise I would smash it with a baseball bat every time I see Tom Selleck's jerk salesman face. ARRRGGGGGHHHH! I HATE the ads with him!

HATE! I don't only hate the ads, I hate him! So smug, so condescending, such an utter asshole.

Tom Selleck has become the new Wilford Brimley only with an addition of smugness.  He sounds like a bloated walrus.  And he's using "old timey" phrases to appeal to older people.  Why, he's been around long enough to to know what's what.  He has no time for your shenanigans!  Don't be newsy.  Now get off his lawn, youngsters! Just a bunch of hooligans . . . . Next thing you know he'll start speaking in the Pepperidge Farm remembers voice. 

• LOL 18
6 minutes ago, Bruinsfan said:

My dream life insurance ad campaign would be Angela Lansbury as Jessica Fletcher advising viewers that you never know when your time might suddenly be up, so be prepared. She could walk through settings/situations like Dennis Quaid does for Esurance, only someone in the background dies in every commercial.

...okay, this needs to happen now. That'd be awesome. 

• Love 11
33 minutes ago, PrincessPurrsALot said:

Tom Selleck has become the new Wilford Brimley only with an addition of smugness.  He sounds like a bloated walrus.  And he's using "old timey" phrases to appeal to older people.  Why, he's been around long enough to to know what's what.  He has no time for your shenanigans!  Don't be newsy.  Now get off his lawn, youngsters! Just a bunch of hooligans . . . . Next thing you know he'll start speaking in the Pepperidge Farm remembers voice. 

This isn't his first rodeo! (breathes heavily). This isn't a scheme to take your home (shifty eyes). Don't you dare question him!

36 minutes ago, Bruinsfan said:

My dream life insurance ad campaign would be Angela Lansbury as Jessica Fletcher advising viewers that you never know when your time might suddenly be up, so be prepared. She could walk through settings/situations like Dennis Quaid does for Esurance, only someone in the background dies in every commercial.

This is simply brilliant.

Edited by Ashforth
when using the word brilliant, one should spell it correctly
  • LOL 3
  • Love 7
4 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

Alex Trebek may have had it in his contract that they couldn't show it after he died.   

This is what I was going to say about icemiser's post.  Does that mean I resemble this remark?  😀  Seriously, though, I'm sure it was in his contract.  Showing Alex Trebek selling life insurance after he passed away would be too traumatic for his fans and WTH for anyone else who's aware of who he was.

7 hours ago, cynicat said:

Hey now, old ladies can totally be playing poker!  I resemble that remark.  I doubt it for that commercial only because there are no chips or anything to bet with in sight.  

Probably Crazy 8's or Old Maid.  😛

• LOL 5
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

Perhaps not, but I have seen worse commercials.  I am surprised his widow didn't take over his role on the commercials.

He has definitely changed since his Magnum PI days.  Yeah, it was a long time ago.  I liked him as Magnum.

I don't like the commercials, I don't know if it his acting or if his plumbing is clogged.   He talks as if he is incredibly constipated.   Some might say, full of shit.

Now that would be super creepy!  "You know, when my husband Alex recently passed on, I hit the jackpot with his Colonial Penn life insurance payout.  Now, I don't have to worry about a thing!"

2 hours ago, Annber03 said:

...okay, this needs to happen now. That'd be awesome. 

Angela is 95 years old now!

• Love 7
23 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I saw the Ford commercial where all of the Santas are stealing SUV's, and I hate that.   What would Rudolf say about Santa being a thief? 

Yeah, I lost all interest in that commercial when they revealed that the Santas were converging on a Ford Dealership.

• Love 2
11 hours ago, Ashforth said:

So do I. I know its mostly due to how much I hated his character on Bluebloods along with pretty much everyone else on that show. I can't see him anymore as anything but that pompus ass.

5 hours ago, Ubiquit0us said:

Yeah, I lost all interest in that commercial when they revealed that the Santas were converging on a Ford Dealership.

I loved it until the end when that's where they all went to. What a crappy and boring end to that commercial.

Edited by andromeda331
  • Love 3
23 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

To say nothing of the late Mr. Dean's heirs who evidently seem to view his vocal non-singing, recycled pitches as their  current cash cow. BTW, I wonder how much they're getting for that compared to whatever song royalties and publishing copyrights he may have had re his initial singing career. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

Given his long career as an MC/host that goes well beyond Jeopardy, I would imagine that she (his widow) is pretty well off financially.  That said, if they were able to sign her up as a pitch person for life insurance, they probably would get a mother load of people to sign up.  If they were able to work  Jeopardy into the mix, they would probably get even more people to sign up.

I did see Alex on an old episode of Vega$ the other day when he used to have that full head of curly hair which I think also goes all the way back to his High Rollers game show days.

Alex Trebek's net worth: 75 million.

• Love 2
40 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Alex Trebek's net worth: 75 million.

So since he was hardly a 'starving artist', why did the late Mr. Trabek bother to pitch those ads instead of telling him to find someone else to shill insurance? As much as I liked him as a person and admired his contributions to learning and intellect, it's tough to think of any other reason than sheer greed instead of any actual need. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

Are you saying people should only take jobs if they 'need' the money?  Who gets to decide when you don't need any more?  Maybe Alex liked to work.  Maybe his friend was the company president and asked him to do it.  Maybe he donated 100% of the proceeds to his favourite charity.  Maybe he wanted to make sure his wife and children would always be looked after, even after he was gone.  I don't think it's appropriate to call it 'greed' because someone who has more money than you decided they wanted to make money, especially when you know nothing of their motivations.

Edited by bankerchick
  • Useful 3
  • Love 20
21 hours ago, Ashforth said:

You need to learn to tell us how you really feel!  Kidding, of course, but I am in agreement with you!!!!  And the commercial goes on and on and ON........shut up Tom.

• LOL 4
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, Blergh said:

So since he was hardly a 'starving artist', why did the late Mr. Trabek bother to pitch those ads instead of telling him to find someone else to shill insurance? As much as I liked him as a person and admired his contributions to learning and intellect, it's tough to think of any other reason than sheer greed instead of any actual need. 

especially for this questionable product

• Love 3

Every time I think some company can't think up a new piece of exercise equipment, that seems totally stupid,  here comes the Aerotrainer.

It's like, let's come up with something for people who don't really want to exercise anyway. 

4 hours ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

You need to learn to tell us how you really feel!  Kidding, of course, but I am in agreement with you!!!!  And the commercial goes on and on and ON........shut up Tom.

I posted something similar a while ago. 

I disliked him so much as Richard on Friends that I've never watched those episodes again. 

• Love 2
9 minutes ago, tres bien said:

Every time I think some company can't think up a new piece of exercise equipment, that seems totally stupid,  here comes the Aerotrainer.

It's like, let's come up with something for people who don't really want to exercise anyway. 

I posted something similar a while ago. 

I disliked him so much as Richard on Friends that I've never watched those episodes again. 

Yeah, that was creepy.

• Love 1
On 12/19/2020 at 11:04 AM, bankerchick said:

Are you saying people should only take jobs if they 'need' the money?  Who gets to decide when you don't need any more?  Maybe Alex liked to work.  Maybe his friend was the company president and asked him to do it.  Maybe he donated 100% of the proceeds to his favourite charity.  Maybe he wanted to make sure his wife and children would always be looked after, even after he was gone.  I don't think it's appropriate to call it 'greed' because someone who has more money than you decided they wanted to make money, especially when you know nothing of their motivations.

Yes, no doubt that the late Mr. Trebek liked to work-especially considering his dedication to Jeopardy while fighting to stay alive. 

I suppose Mr. Trebek might have been friends with the company president and he might have worried that he wouldn't get any more Christmas cards from him if he didn't do the ads (and the  company president might have had no contacts with anyone else to pitch for him). I suppose that it's possible that he wasn't able to spare anything for his favorite charity/ies with the only the monies he'd earned in his multi-decade television career in his coffers . I suppose it's also possible that, even though he started making these ads long before he had any diagnoses  ,he might have been worried that his wife and grown kids not being sufficiently provided for in the event of his demise without the monies of those commercials despite having a $75 million estate. 

Yes, I admit that I'm being quite sarcastic and snarky (not to you personally, but to the arguments presented) and we can each term what his possible motivation/s re whatever we each believe is the most logical conclusion.

It somewhat pains me to have to make the above statements concerning the late Mr. Trebek since he was one of my fave folks on TV and, aside from these commercials, I liked him a great deal as a person. I suppose I'll have to accept that this is one ding in his halo. 

Edited by Blergh
  • Love 3
49 minutes ago, Madding crowd said:

I like Pete Seeger but can’t stand the commercial where he sings “”Every morning at half past four, hard times at the mill”. It has nothing to do with the commercial and is just annoying.

Ah, thanks for the ID. I leap for the remote as soon as I hear the ultrasound heartbeat the commercial starts with. If I'm not fast enough his singing makes me feel like someone is trying to pick me up by the ears. Ack.

• Love 3

All burger king commercials bug me.  

And this is over years and years.  Decades.  They have always sucked.  

I'm not a big mcdonald's fan, never go there but their commercials generally are very well done and they've made many classics.  

It is such a contrast to burger king where they all are dumb, low budget, weird, bad writing.  Their mascot is weird and off putting, against in direct contrast to ronald mcdonald.  

• Love 4

What the fuck is a Rumchata and what do I have to do to get this chirpy fool wearing a big ugly gold lipstick cap off my TV?

I keep thinking they're saying "rumspringa" and I expect to see a bunch of Amish teenagers running around acting crazy.

• LOL 14
  • Love 1
On 11/20/2020 at 5:53 PM, KLovestoShop said:

I find the new Xfinity commercial with the bike riders to be totally irresponsible.  The bikers are speeding out of control, through traffic, coming close to hitting pedestrians, all so the one guy, without a helmet, comes screeching to a halt in front of his apartment and opened a new gadget.  Where I live, we continue to have disagreements between bicyclists, and car drivers and pedestrians because quite a few of the bikers tend to not follow the rules of the road.  

This x100. And I thought the prior one - with a selfie-taking horse ride down a city street and a motorcycle doing doughnuts in the street - was bad. Both seem to be so self-consciously cast and scripted to be quirky/alternative, or at least some advertising executive’s vision of same. 

• Love 6