Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

9 hours ago, Ubiquitous said:

9vzYQwj.jpg

I love this so much!

3 hours ago, iMonrey said:

There's a Subaru commercial that shows a grandfather and his grown grandson going surfing. It's supposed to be all cute and everything - the grandson asks gramps if he told grandma he was "going fishing" and then they're both in full wetsuits heading out surf. Which is fine. But . . . they appear to be walking into a very rocky cove, which is nowhere near a place to actually surf. Even if they plan to swim out of the cove and into the ocean, why? Couldn't they park anywhere near the beach?  I mean, there are all these sharp rocks sticking up out of the water they're walking into. Dangerous! It's like the people who made the commercial couldn't spend the money to go anywhere where you could actually surf and just figured "Eh, ocean is ocean, right?"

I'm glad I'm not the only person that this commercial bothers. I feel like such an old lady for getting my proverbial knickers in a twist about it, but how would "Grandma" (who wasn't told where Grandpa was going) feel if Grandpa and grandson drown and their bodies were lost for days? I know that's morbid, but dammit, Grandpa, we love you and want you to be at Christmas Eve dinner! You're supposed to cut the turkey. You promised Johnnie you'd show him your trains after dinner. You promised! GRANDPA!!!

• Love 19
18 minutes ago, WritinMan said:

Normally, I like Geico commercials, but this is horrible on so many levels.

I, too, am not at all pleased to see the stupid "bros" commercial is back.  It seemed like at least a year since it polluted the airwaves, and lately it's everywhere again.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Bastet said:

I, too, am not at all pleased to see the stupid "bros" commercial is back.  It seemed like at least a year since it polluted the airwaves, and lately it's everywhere again.

I looked up from this comment and there it was on TV...

• Love 2

@Jaded - 

Really sorry to hear about your health challenges.  I can certainly understand why you're not excited about sedation or anesthesia!  

As for the Elizabeth Smart commercial - I am pretty creeped out by it..  I would imagine the teevee paycheck is a difficult one to pass up.  Only explanation I know for wanting to bare your soul, yet again, on something so damaging.  ymmv

• Love 1
On 10/21/2017 at 10:16 PM, TexasTiffany said:

I realize it's addressing a serious issue, but I found myself laughing to this. You said it so funny! Probably someone out there is kinky enough to like getting a colonoscopy. It's not on my list of things I want to do. Mailing a sample is wayyy easier.

This reminds me of those catheter ads aired in the overnights. Their happy sales pitch is so good that I found myself thinking what a good idea. Um, I don't need it. 

The test detects blood in the stool and DNA changes.  Forgive for OT, but as an FYI, this link explains the Cologuard and other oscopy alternatives.

understanding-tests-that-screen-for-colon-cancer

7 hours ago, Ms Lark said:

Sad that she has to do commercials, but a girl's gotta eat!

I'm never sad when I see a beloved character actor doing a commercial; I think "Yay! huge money and security in your old age! Congratulations!!" It's the best money-per-minute in the biz.

• Love 6
20 hours ago, bilgistic said:

I'm glad I'm not the only person that this commercial bothers. I feel like such an old lady for getting my proverbial knickers in a twist about it, but how would "Grandma" (who wasn't told where Grandpa was going) feel if Grandpa and grandson drown and their bodies were lost for days?

Wouldn't their bodies still be missing if he told her?

I got the impression he didn't explicitly say "I'm going surfing with my grandson!", but she knew what they do.

• Love 3

How are they different from capri pants or cropped "skinny" pants? I'm asking honestly, since I know you all are used to my sarcastic remarks. Even that sounded sarcastic!

Edited by bilgistic
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, bilgistic said:

How are they different from capri pants or cropped "skinny" pants? I'm asking honestly, since I know you all are used to my sarcastic remarks. Even that sounded sarcastic!

1 hour ago, Brattinella said:

Pedal pushers have a much snazzier name.

I think Brattinella is correct. For your viewing pleasure, vintage pedal pushers (the model with the flower in her hair) vs contemporary cropped jeans (they are pretty much identical). And in case you have not seen the ad, here's Chase's bubble-headed booby:

d616763ff9bb9be0ea45a62622d08164.jpgDP1027201618050397M.tif?wid=178&hei=178&

• Love 2
1 hour ago, bilgistic said:

Yeah, I thought that "capris" was a replacement word for the old-fashioned pedal pushers.  They are the same thing to me....!

• Love 5

There's a new entry in that Chevy douchebag campaign in which the focus group leader basically claims that you have to buy five or six cars to get all the features in a new Chevy. Umm, no, you just buy the option packages with those features...

• Love 9
3 hours ago, Ubiquitous said:

There's a new entry in that Chevy douchebag campaign in which the focus group leader basically claims that you have to buy five or six cars to get all the features in a new Chevy. Umm, no, you just buy the option packages with those features...

I actually watched one today for Silverado trucks (usually I tune them out). Ginger beard was walking around with a clipboard, being filmed from overhead, telling his surprised focus group that they were seeing Chevy trucks!

1. Why the clipboard? To remind him which commercial he is doing?

2. And why have him doing the voice over? It's not like we know for sure it's him, he's being filmed from some distance overhead.

• Love 3
On 10/8/2017 at 2:56 PM, kirinan said:

The Audible.com commercial where the one woman is laughing over a hilarious audio book while another woman is listening to her boss's unfunny story and literally screams with laughter because she's going crazy? Painful. That woman's scream--especially combined with the look on her face--are like someone rat-a-tat-tatting on my teeth with metal forks. Plus the audio book woman's laugh expressions are just so bad and fake.

I can't turn it off fast enough, and it makes me want to never have anything to do with Audible.com, ever. EVER.

I find that commercial puzzling. If you're carpooling to work with you boss, you're not gonna be listening to your Audible audiobook no matter how funny it is.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, legaleagle53 said:

OK, that's just...weird.

I know right? kind of a Shinning type thing I guess and that toy looks babyish 4 his age 

I wonder if it a real mom & son they look so much alike 

• Love 1

Okay, Burger King.  This ad where you compare flame-broiled to flat-top cooking, WTF is that girl saying, with FOOD falling out of her mouth while she is SPEAKING??  Come on, now.  She was just STARVING and couldn't wait to cram her mouth full?  GROSS.

• Love 10
10 hours ago, Eliot said:

I find that commercial puzzling. If you're carpooling to work with you boss, you're not gonna be listening to your Audible audiobook no matter how funny it is.

Two different women - one with her boss, 2nd in another car listening to the audible book.

10 hours ago, chessiegal said:

Two different women - one with her boss, 2nd in another car listening to the audible book.

Yes, I am aware of that. But the commercial implies that if the woman in the car with her boss had an Audible audiobook, she wouldn't have to listen to her boss's annoying story. I was commenting that it wouldn't have mattered whether she had an audiobook; she still would have been stuck listening to the boss.

• Love 7

I don’t drink beer so this is a completely empty threat but I am now boycotting Heineken because of the absolutely horrific cover of “Heroes” they use.

David Bowie deserves better than that man.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 10
3 hours ago, mojoween said:

I don’t drink beer so this is a completely empty threat but I am now boycotting Heineken because of the absolutely horrific cover of “Heroes” they use.

David Bowie deserves better than that man.

That's Postmodern Jukebox, so I give them a pass.  On pretty much anything.

• Love 1

There's an ad that's run for a few years at this time of the year, I guess it could be considered a seasonal ad, but hardly a holiday one. It's about open enrollment for Medicare. There's one woman who says, "I have complicated questions." Not really any more complicated than any one else's questions, lady, you just don't comprehend how it works. There's one of you in every insurance meeting I've ever been in at work. And you extend the meeting an extra half hour because of your questions when everyone else grasped what was needed an hour ago. Just let me fill in the forms and be on my way. Yes, there are some changes every year, but there's also one of "those" in every meeting. Stay after the meeting and ask your questions, please and let the rest of us out of here. And I am aware, things are rapidly changing in this country for insurance, we're either going to all have it or only the very rich will have it and the rest of us are screwed. I vote for all of us.

• Love 16
10 minutes ago, friendperidot said:

There's one of you in every insurance meeting I've ever been in at work. And you extend the meeting an extra half hour because of your questions when everyone else grasped what was needed an hour ago. Just let me fill in the forms and be on my way. Yes, there are some changes every year, but there's also one of "those" in every meeting. Stay after the meeting and ask your questions, please and let the rest of us out of here.

I know!  I had to suffer through folks like that every year!

• Love 5

Every stupid commercial for every car that has the automatic braking. I'm so glad that everyone can now drive looking at their phones or whatever because their car will stop for them. And screw all the idiots who just blunder out in front of cars. You deserve to get hit.  "Pedestrian detection".. Yes. It's called your eyes and paying attention! The feature may be helpful, but the Commercials piss me off. 

• Love 20
1 hour ago, QuinnInND said:

And screw all the idiots who just blunder out in front of cars. You deserve to get hit.  "Pedestrian detection".. Yes. It's called your eyes and paying attention!

I guess I'm just old enough to remember when one crossed at the crosswalks, staying on the sidewalk until the light changed or the road was clear, and you taught your children to do the same.  Remember when those big, bulky, heavy and solid things called "cars" had the right of way and you hung back until it was safe to cross?  Now it seems everyone just steps off the curb wherever they desire and it's up to the drivers to stand up on their brakes - or in these new wonder days, to hope their automatic braking kicks in on time - nearly putting themselves through the windshield or strangling themselves with their seatbelts.  Hmmm...150 lb. fragile, breakable, bleedable human being vs. 3,500 lb. ship of steel with no heart.  Who's going to hurt more?

• Love 16

My mom rants all the time about people who don't take the time to use the crosswalk. 

Yeah, I'm all for technological advances and whatnot, but I share the concerns over self-driving cars and people not paying attention to where they're going, be they in the car or on the road. 

Edited by Annber03
  • Love 10

I am easily startled and I feel like automatic braking is a disaster waiting to happen.

In the ads when the car brakes, the driver gasps and tenses up.  Much like people tend to over-correct in a skid, I can see the same thing happening when your car suddenly stops for no reason and you grip the wheel thinking something’s happening.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

I swear, I' *this* close to watching nothing but TCM. I am so sick of commercials for Medicare, life insurance and identity theft protection. God, it's depressing.

AND prescription drugs, and OTC drugs, and back braces and hip replacement, ad nauseum.

• Love 14

1 HOUR AGO, PEACHESLATOUR SAID:

I swear, I' *this* close to watching nothing but TCM. I am so sick of commercials for Medicare, life insurance and identity theft protection. God, it's depressing.

AND prescription drugs, and OTC drugs, and back braces and hip replacement, ad nauseum.

welcome to Old People TV Network! Ha! I understand, I watch the same channels. I probably would watch nothing but TCM if I didn't have to have a cable subscription to do so. It is available through Prime, but only on my Kindle. I am not watching movies on a 5" screen. I want it on my Roku so I can watch it on a tv I can actually see...I'm old.

• Love 9