Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggalos: Jinger and the Holy Goalie

Message added by cm-soupsipper,

Closure Notice: This Thread is now closed due to the name (and much of the posting within it). Please be mindful going forward by naming topics in a way that invites a healthy community conversation. If you name something for a cheap laugh, this thread may be closed later because it encourages discrimination and harm. 

• Start Topic

3 hours ago, Girl in a Cardigan said:

To be fair, it looks like one of those city souvenir mugs you buy at Starbucks (I know some people - okay their parents - who makes sure they get one from every city they visit).

I think Jinger does collect those.  Or one of the girls does...they worship at Starbucks.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
43 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

This is a picture from the listing when they put their Texas house on the market. Many mugs......

1A9EB1EA-63B5-432A-BB43-FEE769091FFF.jpeg

That's just weird.  How many mugs do two people need?  There are somewhere around 50 mugs hanging on that wall.  Who thought that looked good or interesting?  I've worked in places where there was a wall rack for everyone to keep their own mug, but who would do that in their home?

• Love 8
12 minutes ago, CalicoKitty said:

I have several friends that collect mugs.  They are an easy item to pack, and remind my friends of good trips and travels.  It's no different than collecting spoons or salt and peppers.  And mugs are more useful than either of those.  I don't find it strange at all, and theirs are displayed nicely.  I have a couple of mugs from trips that remind me of good friends and special times.  Only a couple, though.  I don't drink coffee, and I don't have any use for a lot of mugs.  But I do understand collecting them.

I don't have a problem with collecting mugs or anything else.  It's the weird wall display of dozens of them.  Get one of those 4 or 6 mug racks for the kitchen counter and rotate the display.  I collect salt and pepper shakers and snow globes.  But, once I got a goodly number of them, I rotated the ones on display (the salt and pepper shakers) or quit collecting (snow globes).

I just don't think a bunch of mugs collected from Starbucks are all that interesting visually and it makes their dining room look like a truck stop cafeteria to me.

• Love 6
2 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

I don't have a problem with collecting mugs or anything else.  It's the weird wall display of dozens of them.  Get one of those 4 or 6 mug racks for the kitchen counter and rotate the display.  I collect salt and pepper shakers and snow globes.  But, once I got a goodly number of them, I rotated the ones on display (the salt and pepper shakers) or quit collecting (snow globes).

I just don't think a bunch of mugs collected from Starbucks are all that interesting visually and it makes their dining room look like a truck stop cafeteria to me.

True, items you collect should have meaning, not just something to have.  If you ever get to Traer, Iowa, check out the salt and pepper museum.  I saw the collection when it was still in the original woman's home (and two sheds), but the town bought the entire collection, and it is now housed in a building down town. (Down Town is only two blocks, so you can't miss it).  I had never seen so many salt and peppers, ever.  Thousands of sets from all over the world, and many antique ones, too.  Salt and peppers are one thing I don't collect, but I found the collection very interesting.  It is a collection to behold!!  I'm hoping Jer and Jing's "collection" of mugs are not just dollar store items, but are actually from a place or event that means something to them.

• Love 2
1 minute ago, CalicoKitty said:

True, items you collect should have meaning, not just something to have.  If you ever get to Traer, Iowa, check out the salt and pepper museum.  I saw the collection when it was still in the original woman's home (and two sheds), but the town bought the entire collection, and it is now housed in a building down town. (Down Town is only two blocks, so you can't miss it).  I had never seen so many salt and peppers, ever.  Thousands of sets from all over the world, and many antique ones, too.  Salt and peppers are one thing I don't collect, but I found the collection very interesting.  It is a collection to behold!!  I'm hoping Jer and Jing's "collection" of mugs are not just dollar store items, but are actually from a place or event that means something to them.

I had rules about salt and pepper shakers to make collecting them more of a challenge.  First, they have to be something living: pigs, dogs, people, horses.  They have to have faces, so no slot machines or sea shells.  Second, they cannot cost more than 10 bucks.  It makes the hunting more fun.

• Useful 3
  • Love 7
43 minutes ago, CalicoKitty said:

I have several friends that collect mugs.  They are an easy item to pack, and remind my friends of good trips and travels.  It's no different than collecting spoons or salt and peppers.  And mugs are more useful than either of those.  I don't find it strange at all, and theirs are displayed nicely.  I have a couple of mugs from trips that remind me of good friends and special times.  Only a couple, though.  I don't drink coffee, and I don't have any use for a lot of mugs.  But I do understand collecting them.

So did my family the whole time I was growing up. When ever we went on vacation always picked up at least one mug, more depending on if like going to California picking up mugs from Sea World. Disneyland, one that said San Diego on it, LA mug etc. The first time Mom went to a city on her business trips she always brought back a mug. It was fun. Any sports event we went to. It was fun. But we also used them. Coffee, tea, hot chocolate and soup. 

• Love 10
3 hours ago, BigBingerBro said:

q1jjs8auqfl51.jpg

Wow, this is the randomest thing that I've seen in a long time.

It looks like a big red Lego that the other guy has.

I have no issue with the collection of coffee mugs. I have a massive shot glass collection.

• LOL 1
  • Love 8
9 hours ago, doodlebug said:

That's just weird.  How many mugs do two people need?  There are somewhere around 50 mugs hanging on that wall.  Who thought that looked good or interesting?  I've worked in places where there was a wall rack for everyone to keep their own mug, but who would do that in their home?

I'd guess they regularly have large groups of people over from church.  And in her case, if the family comes to visit, it tends to be in large groups.

• Useful 2
11 hours ago, ginger90 said:

This is a picture from the listing when they put their Texas house on the market. Many mugs......

1A9EB1EA-63B5-432A-BB43-FEE769091FFF.jpeg

What's next, Hummel figurines?

I'm surprised anybody Jingle's age would get such a fetish for that kind of "collectible." (on the understanding--perhaps inaccurate -- that those are all the Starbucks mugs; if they're a different kind of mug collection, then okay...)  Or maybe I just run in the wrong circles? Is that common among 20-somethings?

10 hours ago, doodlebug said:

Maybe they're planning on producing more children than we realized. 😁

Edited by Churchhoney
  • LOL 5
10 hours ago, CalicoKitty said:

But didn't somebody say that the Duggarling sisters "collected' Starbucks' mugs? .... I don't know if that's true. Maybe Jingle's doing a much more thoughtful collection.

But if the truth is that these are the mugs Starbucks puts out, that's down on the really really dumb end of collecting. Especially since, to my recollection, those really aren't very interesting mugs. If there was truly something fascinating about each Starbuck mug, that'd be one thing. But if not, then it's just a silly waste of cash (and a lousy wall decoration), if you ask me.

The good thing about a collection is that each member of the collection gives you something when you look at it as time goes by and that others besides you can enjoy looking at because of that. With each piece being unique and interesting in some way or an example of a certain variety of the collected object that you had to look hard to find or being linked to a memory for you of a certain year or a certain vacation or a certain person or something.

Worthwhile collections start conversations. People who come to your house enjoy browsing them just on their own. None of that is true if this is just a wall of damn Starbucks mugs. (and I may be dead wrong about this....but my impression of the Duggars is that they're the kind of idiots who'd "collect" a wall full of absolutely undistinguished Starbucks mugs, unfortunately.....)

EMLTA: Treating mugs the way her parents treat their children. Poor Jingle. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 9

I like variety.  To me, those mugs all look the same, at least from that angle.  My late MIL had a coffee cup collection, but they were all different.  The problem was, they were dust catchers, and to use one, we had to make sure and wash it first.  

What's the deal with the red Lego picture?  I don't get it, Jermy.

• Love 7

I don't mind their mug collection.  I do mind THEM, haha.  I have collected things on and off over the years for various purposes and not much of them really had any true "meaning".  For example, I collected and fixed up vintage sewing machines.  Just because.  Now I am tired of them and too lazy to find them new homes.  I have some crystal because I like it.  Only a few pieces have meaning.  The rest are just pretty.  I could ditch them now too but, you know, lazy.  I guess I'm okay with having things just because and no great attachment to most of them.

• Love 15

The only thing I really "collect" (though I don't have a lot of them because Mr Jyn doesn't think they make for a very aesthetic display) are hedgehogs. Most of my cousins do as well, as it was sort of a pun on our last name, which was very unusual in England, and became a nickname for most of us in school. My daughter has inherited a bunch of mine, and has accumulated some of her own, so the tradition continues, even if the last name was never hers. That makes me happy. 

As far as the mugs, I think it's fine as long as they got them because they provided meaning and memories, and are not just as some sort of "Mugs of 50 States" collection. A but bulky, maybe, because that's about as many already as one can really put on a wall, and they were only just starting out, but fine if they made them happy. I sort of hope the collection doesn't grow too much more, or it will take over the house in a few years.

• Love 7

All decorations, tchotchkes and collections are pretty much dust collectors. At least with the mugs you could throw them in the dishwasher. I love odd wall pieces and art, even if its not something I'd hang/put in my own home. Certainly much better than the words dining room hanging on the wall.

• LOL 3
  • Love 8

I would have done a mug collection or something similar when I was in my twenties.  I agree with GeeGolly, now I try to reduce anything that can collect dust.  

I just wonder if they are Jermies or Jingers or did they collect them together?

• Love 3

Coffee mugs would just be something I would have to dust to me. I collect Christmas ornaments on my trips.  I love Christmas and like to have multiple trees. It is fun to remember our special trips as we hand the ornaments and they are hidden away in the basement the rest of the year, so I don’t have clutter or have to dust them!

• Love 17

Starbucks has cups from every city with some landmark from that city on them. I've got a couple myself. She might have those. But it's nice to see that she's decorating something that hopefully means something to her.  I collect refrigerator magnets from everywhere we've been. I'm pretty sure I get one more, and my refrigerator will change the earth's magnetic field.

And wtf Derelict. What. The. Fuck. Is. That. 

Edited by QuinnInND
  • Love 10
11 hours ago, QuinnInND said:

Starbucks has cups from every city with some landmark from that city on them. I've got a couple myself. She might have those. But it's nice to see that she's decorating something that hopefully means something to her. 

I suppose it's my concept of Duggar brains that makes me see it this way, but I envision her collecting the cups not because they mean anything at all to her but just because she was always walking into Starbucks and they were always for sale. The cups looked like a buying trend -- which the Duggars clearly love, even though they pretend they don't -- and her favorite thing is buying stuff so she kept buying them.... 

Despite what Jingle used to say about wanting to live in a city, I feel as if we've seen her show little real interest in any actual places or cities.....

Now if each cup depicted a different retail establishment (or casual-dining restaurant?), then I can see her making a collection she'd find meaningful. 😁

EMLTA: To be fair, though, I do think that a retail habit by a Duggarling is likely to be more self-medicating than anything else. Almost nothing is allowed. But buying stuff that's relatively cheap and sold in one of the few places they're free to go is an exception. 

I'd be happier for Jingle (and her children) if I thought she really liked city cultures and photography more than Starbucks next-to-the-register impulse-buy items, though.....Maybe someday? 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 13
On 9/8/2020 at 9:50 PM, HooHooHoo said:

Coffee mugs would just be something I would have to dust to me. I collect Christmas ornaments on my trips.  I love Christmas and like to have multiple trees. It is fun to remember our special trips as we hand the ornaments and they are hidden away in the basement the rest of the year, so I don’t have clutter or have to dust them!

I'm right there with you -- and double down on the fact that it's a collectible I don't have to dust and don't have to make space to display.   It happens organically once a year, no dusting required.    

• Love 7

I cannot believe that everyone has forgotten they use the mugs thoughtfully as a part of their brand and business.  It's only back one page that you can peruse what must be one of the most prized pieces in the collection, because it's featured in the birthday waffles ad.  Clearly the Las Vegas mug must be one of the most meaningful pieces in the collection.

• LOL 10
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, QuinnInND said:

You can win a pretentious pen! 

A 156-dollar fountain pen....lol 

It just seems like a bad idea for someone who's not yet rich and may never be rich (outcome way uncertain, for numerous reasons) -- and who's still in school and has almost two kids already -- to be quite so wrapped up in celebrating and satiating their champagne tastes.....I'd think that waiting to get your first real job post-degree to see how the income is working out and what kind of life you can afford in addition to the kids' tuition would be a good idea. .... I know he's trying to fund his love of expensive stuff through influencer gigs. But still....I doubt this is bringing in all that much cash....I hope it's bringing in more than just a few new pens, though. 

That particular expensive pen looks kind of tacky and hilariously frou frou for a Calvinist pastor, to me. ... 😈

https://www.gouletpens.com/products/esterbrook-estie-fountain-pen-lilac-chrome

Edited by Churchhoney
  • LOL 2
  • Love 13
9 minutes ago, galaxygirl76 said:

Is that super fast drying ink because this leftie used to have fountain pens and they were not my friend.

I was wondering that, too. The Internet tells me that today's fastest-drying fountain-pen inks are still not drying that fast, although I've found one that's said to dry in just over 3 seconds. I still don't know how a lefty writes much if that's really true. Three seconds doesn't sound like much until you have to spend three seconds waiting for something you want to do immediately, like write down the next word before you forget what it was supposed to be. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Useful 1
  • Love 6

I can remember my dad having fountain pens (I believe they were Shafer/Schafer pens?)  But, he was also employed full-time in a decently paying job, and no way were they as costly as what RFP is hawking.  Well, I guess if one has no housing payment and lives off of his wife's nest egg, why not (?!?)

This kind of crap post money grab makes me glad I grew up well before social media, and before 'men of the cloth' expected to preach to mega-churches for MEGA-bucks.  What a pretentious asshat.

• Love 16

The last “giveaway “ they did, didn’t last long. Remember, it was removed, they said,  because they didn’t read the post beforehand? 🤦‍♀️

They said they would be doing something to “give back”. Oh my. 🖊 

Edited by ginger90
  • LOL 4
  • Love 1