Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggalos: Jinger and the Holy Goalie

Message added by cm-soupsipper,

Closure Notice: This Thread is now closed due to the name (and much of the posting within it). Please be mindful going forward by naming topics in a way that invites a healthy community conversation. If you name something for a cheap laugh, this thread may be closed later because it encourages discrimination and harm. 

• Start Topic

1 minute ago, GeeGolly said:

If my read on Jeremy is correct, what might be seen as a lack of commitment or passion, is really a lack of confidence. Don't get too close to anyone, including parishioners, because if he does he may be found out. Don't look too studious, because if he fails, he'll be found out.

Posers are so superficial, they fear one wrong move will blow their cover. Probably one of the reasons Jeremy dresses as a GQ grandpa - he needs to look the part, using his pocket squares as a shield of protection.

Yeah, I totally agree. I think that also has something to do with his suck-uppie-ness and what I see as a real hunger to be mom and dad's golden child, too. 

And the experience he had in pro sports didn't do anything for his confidence. That's a dangerous area for somebody who's hungry for success and approval and has a bunch of self-doubt deep inside somewhere. 

• Love 10

Jeremy and I are close in age and his life trajectory reminds me of a lot of people I know, myself included. There was a singular focus from a young age, in his case it was soccer, and that focus would be the all fulfilling career. By the time it was painfully apparent he couldn't make a career out of it, he did a 180 and switched gears completely. 

He probably did enjoy preaching and all that initially but he's backed himself into a corner now. I don't feel any passion for it whatsoever from him. He's not even half assing it anymore. He's the equivalent of the student who shows up with 5 minutes left in lecture because they know attendance isn't taken until the end.

He'll probably bounce around for a bit if/when this preacher gig doesn't work out for him. He may end up as a professional student at this rate.

• Love 15
1 hour ago, laurakaye said:

I see Jeremy as a preacher who cares far, far less about his message than he does about his brand.  He probably takes twice the time to choose just the right pocket square than he does putting together a sermon.  And when he does get up to the pulpit, his eyes are constantly scanning the congregation for those dastardly women who might find his brand of pretention "hot."  And all the while, he's trying not to lock eyes with Aunt Cade in the third row, second from the end, who came to hear him preach and whose hair looks particularly fetching that day.

Surely not.  That doesn't sound at all like the man who up above on this very same page I saw a social media post from casually mentioning his daughter's "craft" Bible reading coincidentally coinciding with his own scriptural studies.  That doesn't sound forced or try hard or curated in the least.

ETA   This is precisely what made me comment recently on one of Jill and Derrick's videos where they were putting the kids to bed I think the night before Israel's first day of school where Derrick sort of fumbled and stumbled through the prayers.   I said it then and I'll say it again, while not smooth oratory it at least felt authentic -- and not at all what I'd expect to see posted from Jessa and Ben or Jeremy and Jinger.  

Edited by Tikichick
  • LOL 8
  • Love 8
18 hours ago, Churchhoney said:

"Mr. Jeremy Vuolo's: bio blurb == 

"The youngest of three chil­dren, Jere­my was born in Philadel­phia, Penn­syl­va­nia to Charles & Diana Vuo­lo. Two of the god­liest peo­ple he has ever known, his moth­er and father raised him and his sib­lings faith­ful­ly in the dis­ci­pline and instruc­tion of the Lord.

"Although he is uncer­tain as to the exact time of his con­ver­sion, Jere­my was saved from a life of hypocrisy and hid­den sin dur­ing his child­hood years.

"Fol­low­ing his life­long pas­sion, Jere­my pur­sued a pro­fes­sion­al career as a soc­cer play­er, play­ing in Fin­land, New York, and Texas. How­ev­er, just four years after sign­ing pro­fes­sion­al­ly, the Lord called Jere­my out of sports and into the pas­toral ministry."

Is it just me or is it kind of unusual for someone who's 33 years old and married with kids to focus a professional biography on being "the youngest of three children"?

Also -- He "was saved from a life of hypocrisy and hidden sin." Interesting choice of transgressions there, Jer. It almost makes me wonder if you doth protest too much? 

Also -- "The Lord" called you "out of sports" by arranging for you to sit on a bench for two seasons......Interesting way of calling somebody. 

I find this blurb kind of odd all around. (And what's with this indeterminate date of salvation, Jer? Your wife and David Waller both know their dates! Are you sure you were paying enough attention? 😈 )

Wait a minute...doesn't Jeremy have the standard I-liked-to-party-in-college-with-an-occasional-wine-spritzer conversion story? So he was saved in childhood and then...re-saved? Unsaved and then saved again? His childhood salvation didn't take?

• LOL 12
  • Love 6
16 hours ago, awaken said:

“saved from a life of hypocrisy and hid­den sin dur­ing his child­hood years.“ 

What the hell kind of hidden sin and hypocrisy could a child have? These people are full of crap.

• LOL 4
  • Love 11

Jeremy saw an opportunity in Jinger, with her television exposure, and since he loves an audience he just jumped in and decided to go bigger than his father. He's just a poseur and will be exposed one day and poor Jinger will be the heart broken wife left behind, not a bit like Mrs. Falwell hopefully.

• Love 14
4 minutes ago, awaken said:

I refuse to watch it. What sins does he say he was a slave to? 

He doesn't really specify, other than to mention drinking in high school and college. He also mentions lust, but doesn't elaborate on how he dealt with it.

Edited by emmawoodhouse
  • Useful 4
1 minute ago, emmawoodhouse said:

He doesn't really specify, other than to mention drinking in high school and college. He also mentions lust, but doesn't elaborate on how he dealt with it.

Lust really seems to be a big thing for him. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 4
7 hours ago, awaken said:

Lust really seems to be a big thing for him. 

Which is kind of sad, unless he was a cheater back in the day. Having crushes and thinking others are sexy is part of being a sexual being. Acting on those feelings with another person if you're in a relationship isn't cool though.

• Love 11
2 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

Which is kind of sad, unless he was a cheater back in the day. Having crushes and thinking others are sexy is part of being a sexual being. Acting on those feelings with another person if you're in a relationship isn't cool though.

He’s probably talking about masturbation, which is a real source of anxiety and even outright terror for many Fundies. Remember how he lectured the Duggar boys about it. I always that was strange and out of left field.

Edited by Albanyguy
  • Love 17
5 minutes ago, Albanyguy said:

He’s probably talking about masturbation, which is a real source of anxiety and even outright terror for many Fundies. Remember how he lectured the Duggar boys about it. I always that was strange and out of left field.

Just another lie all these Fundies hide. No way, no how, are all these Fundies making it to marriage without having self-made orgasms.

• LOL 5
  • Love 16
23 hours ago, laurakaye said:

I live near Calvin University in Michigan.  And yes, they are overwhelmingly Dutch. 🙂

I live in Michigan, and spent a great deal of time in Grand Rapids. as a teen (my brother went to Grand Valley, and live in G.R. after college).  But I have never heard of Calvin University!  This forum is so informative.  I swear I learn multiple new things everyday.  I love it here.  🙂

• Love 9
32 minutes ago, CouchTater said:

I live in Michigan, and spent a great deal of time in Grand Rapids. as a teen (my brother went to Grand Valley, and live in G.R. after college).  But I have never heard of Calvin University!  This forum is so informative.  I swear I learn multiple new things everyday.  I love it here.  🙂

FYI - it just became a university.  Maybe you knew it as Calvin College? 🙂

• Useful 1
34 minutes ago, CouchTater said:

1 minute ago, laurakaye said:

FYI - it just became a university.  Maybe you knew it as Calvin College? 🙂

Lifelong Michigander and I went to high school with many kids headed for Calvin after graduation, this is the first time I've heard it referred to as a university as well.

• Love 4
8 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

Just another lie all these Fundies hide. No way, no how, are all these Fundies making it to marriage without having self-made orgasms.

Yep, they all do it, and then once they settle down in Godly, righteously-fulfilled wedlock, they judge and shame anyone else who does it.

• Love 8
28 minutes ago, Albanyguy said:

Yep, they all do it, and then once they settle down in Godly, righteously-fulfilled wedlock, they judge and shame anyone else who does it.

Because that's what Jesus wants! 

It's insanity. 

And, yeah, I realize that back when a slight drop in fertility combined with a couple years of drought could wipe out everybody's genes in the neighborhood, those same genes formulated this kind of rule to keep their strains strong and dominant and pumping out babies to be sure that diarrheal diseases didn't wipe out all of them. That's the biology of it.  

But we're no longer in a good place for producing a baby every damn time any guy over age 12 squirts. Yet we have these very strong urges. We really need to use our brains to figure out what makes sense in the current circumstances. And teenage masturbation does not constitute betraying one's future spouse. Honestly, they might as well all cut off their heads because they never think at all. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 12
52 minutes ago, Zella said:

Am I alone in thinking there is something weirdly Oedipal about this? It's literally a dick-comparing contest with his dad. Over a fish. Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar, but. . . .

I think Jer's whole life is pretty much a dick-measuring contest. 

That's not necessarily what I read on Chuck's face. But it is what I read on Jer's. So I guess it's possible they're both in measuring mode here...I can't tell. though. As has been noted before, I don't think Jer comes off as a secure person just living his life. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • LOL 1
  • Love 20

30 minutes ago, ouinason said:

why can't they CLOSE THEIR MOUTHS?  Like, every picture, there is a gaping face hole.  Can Jeremy not breath through his nose?  Do they think that looks cute?  Ew.

They look excited and happy! Or so they think. 

• LOL 1
On 9/22/2020 at 9:38 PM, emmawoodhouse said:

I am sure he slept around like most other guys his age. I would imagine this is a sore subject for him and Jinger. ( or maybe just Jinger) . Nothing wrong with doing so, unless youre a fundie. 

• Love 7
31 minutes ago, lascuba said:

8 weeks to go? Did they announce really late or am I experiencing an extreme case of 2020 Time Derangement Syndrome? I though she wasn't even near 30 weeks yet.

She announced around 15 weeks, IIRC. She didn't announce to her own family until she was past the first trimester (per what she said on the last episode). But yeah, this is the first Duggar pregnancy that doesn't seem as if it's gone on and on and on...

Edited by emmawoodhouse
Autocorrect strikes again!
  • Love 7
On 9/23/2020 at 5:11 AM, GeeGolly said:

I highly doubt it was that. Not that think Jeremy was above cheating on a girlfriend, but he likely hooked up with girls (consensually) at parties (like plenty of college kids) or girls he knew and no emotional attachment to them. Just because they were hot and game- which HAPPENS. It doesn’t make someone evil. 

• Love 11
9 hours ago, emmawoodhouse said:

She announced around 15 weeks, IIRC. She didn't announce to her own family until she was past the first trimester (per what she said on the last episode). But yeah, this is the first Duggar pregnancy that doesn't seem as if it's gone on and on and on...

She didn't post endless belly-selfies-with-tight-shirts. Which just goes to show: those shirts really do help them draw attention to themselves. Negative attention, but attention nonetheless.

• Love 9
On 9/22/2020 at 10:33 PM, awaken said:

I refuse to watch it. What sins does he say he was a slave to? 

I won't watch it either, but I think these are all possible based on the way he presents himself: pride, greed, wrath, envy, lust, gluttony, and sloth. 

• LOL 8
  • Love 8
5 hours ago, skatelady said:

She didn't post endless belly-selfies-with-tight-shirts. Which just goes to show: those shirts really do help them draw attention to themselves. Negative attention, but attention nonetheless.

She also somewhat tried to draw attention early on to her pregnancy. She barely had a bump so it was to tell. Joy, for example, is showing more at the same time. 

• Love 2