Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggalos: Jinger and the Holy Goalie

Message added by cm-soupsipper,

Closure Notice: This Thread is now closed due to the name (and much of the posting within it). Please be mindful going forward by naming topics in a way that invites a healthy community conversation. If you name something for a cheap laugh, this thread may be closed later because it encourages discrimination and harm. 

• Start Topic

Green velvet dresses are in this season. I think it all depends on the cut and style, bc I loooove velvet/velour and don't think it's childish. Here is the one I bought for Christmas this year:

NMkCD4d.jpg

And here it is on me if anyone wants to see. :P

I think Jinger's dress would look great without the ruffle, and depending on the length it would look a lot like the one in @Christina87's post.

Edited by Valerie
  • Love 14
19 minutes ago, Valerie said:

Green velvet dresses are in this season. I think it all depends on the cut and style, bc I loooove velvet/velour and don't think it's childish. Here is the one I bought for Christmas this year:

NMkCD4d.jpg

I think Jinger's dress would look great without the ruffle, and depending on the length it would look a lot like the one in @Christina87's post.

It looks really cute on you!!! I love it! It reminds me of a 1940's era silhouette, which is a time period I LOVE. 

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Valerie said:

NMkCD4d.jpg

Taking it to the prayer closet!

2 hours ago, Valerie said:

NMkCD4d.jpg

I like it. It has a forties retro vibe.

• Love 1
15 hours ago, Churchhoney said:

And when the powers that be in the fashion industry push those dresses back into fashion -- and they will because literally everything out of fashion is brought back into fashion in some form and at some point -- they're just aren't enough options otherwise -- everybody'll be wearing that stuff all over again. They must keep changing fashion drastically enough to keep us buying ....

And while with women's fashion, we can be deluded into thinking that today's clothes express something kind of essential about our time and the women of our time, by and large that isn't really true.

To see how meaningless it all is, just think about the shifting fashions in men's ties. .... How one five-year period absolutely requires narrow ties and guys who continue to wear broader ones get scorn heaped upon them.... And then, after everyone has been so shamed and embarrassed about their broad ties that they've thrown them out and own only narrow ones, oops! The broad ones suddenly reappear and become the only style that doesn't make you look like an old man or a teenager or a bum or something.... And shame is now heaped on those who keep wearing their narrow ones. 

Lather. Rinse, Repeat. (EMLTA: Another bullshit commercial mantra to get us to buy and use more stuff than is good for us and our environment, too, I might add!)

Our herd-animal nature costs us a ton of money, virtually all our individuality, and in the case of the garment industry -- a whole helluva a lot of our wild and clean environment as well, unfortunately. 

Thought provoking, (about the patriarchy part) since I just read a hilarious Twitter thread about women's low-rise jeans coming back.  If you get a chance, read it. 😂

20181224_045529.jpg

• Love 6
13 hours ago, DangerousMinds said:

It's her own choice to put pictures of herself out there. I would never want to be scrutinized so I don't do the same.

Oh, I agree.  That's why I'm posting on an anonymous forum!  I just meant that if I were scrutinized, I'd definitely come up short fashion-wise to many people.  Fortunately for me, I've reached the age where I'm mostly invisible and expectations are not high. :)

• Love 16
21 minutes ago, Madtown said:

Spending Christmas with Jeremy's family...

2 pictures..

So....... what is going on at the church Jer is supposedly the pastor???????    Again, he posts a silly picture of his call, yet abandons them whenever.

And, how many different costumes is that child going to wear for the endless photo shoots this weekend???

• Love 10
1 hour ago, fonfereksglen said:

So....... what is going on at the church Jer is supposedly the pastor???????    Again, he posts a silly picture of his call, yet abandons them whenever.

And, how many different costumes is that child going to wear for the endless photo shoots this weekend???

Jeremy preached at GCC yesterday. I watched about five minutes before my brain glazed ovet. I think the Vuolos are in Laredo. 

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, fonfereksglen said:

Yes, he apparently left his own congregation on Christmas. Not surprised.

• Love 4
Just now, Sew Sumi said:

No he didn't. He was there yesterday. They had their Christmas celebration last Friday.

and there I've done it....defended a Duggar adjacent.

Is it common to celebrate Christmas on a day other than the 25th?  I realize that December 25 isn't Jesus' real birthday, but, us heathen Catholics always have Christmas services on the actual day (or the Eve of in the case of Christmas).  Having Christmas services on the 21 of December makes no sense to me.

• Love 7

It was more a musical thing last Friday. He may well conduct a service tomorrow. If they flew out to PA, they did so late yesterday. That's why I think the elder Vuolo's are in Laredo. 

I get alerts from GCC. I'll let y'all know if there is a Christmas service and if so, who is preaching. 😊

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 6
4 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

Is it common to celebrate Christmas on a day other than the 25th?  I realize that December 25 isn't Jesus' real birthday, but, us heathen Catholics always have Christmas services on the actual day (or the Eve of in the case of Christmas).  Having Christmas services on the 21 of December makes no sense to me.

It's not uncommon in the Protestant church to have special Christmas services a few days (or even weeks) before Christmas.   We are big on children's Christmas programs, and with families traveling on and around Christmas itself, having them early may be the only way to get the entire cast there.  

• Love 10
1 hour ago, doodlebug said:

Exactly! Once Catholic here, Christmas Day is 12/25, period.

• Love 2
10 hours ago, TVFAN said:

It's not uncommon in the Protestant church to have special Christmas services a few days (or even weeks) before Christmas.   We are big on children's Christmas programs, and with families traveling on and around Christmas itself, having them early may be the only way to get the entire cast there.  

Well, I get that. We have Christmas concerts with the choir and children’s Christmas programs in the days leading up to the holiday, too.  I thought you were talking about the actual Christmas church service.  I can see Jeremy as the sort of preacher who would schedule holiday services at his convenience so he could do his own thing on the actual holiday. 

• Love 9
11 hours ago, doodlebug said:

Well, I think one fairly common Protestant pattern is to celebrate both a sort of "Christmas Sunday" -- the Sunday before the 25th -- and then also have services on either the 25th, the 24th or both (or a midnight Christmas Eve service.) ... The four Sundays before Christmas are the four Sundays of Advent, of course -- so celebrating each of those, with the fourth Sunday completing the Advent wreath (with the Christ candle in the middle as yet unlit) and thus qualifying as kind of a bigger deal than the other three candles. Protestants, as you know, are all over the map on everything,  though, because everybody's his own church. 

10 hours ago, beagletime said:

Maybe I'm missing something.   I don't see anything wrong with Grandma Vuolo's profile.

I would think anyone going into the ministry would know it requires a certain amount of time and family sacrifice.  Holidays are usually shared with your congregation.  What if a parishioner is feeling depressed and could use some prayer and pastoral time.  They must have to wait until Jeremy gets back from his travels.  

I'm not sure Jeremy is too big on pastoral time. You certainly never hear about it. (Although me may do it and just not mention it.) He is pretty obsessed with sermons, though..... His church must be pretty well stocked with additional passing pastors all sent out by the parent church in San Antonio since they do have to cover a lot of Sundays when he's away, and I noticed on the website in the past that there were regular meetings of some kind on, I think, Wednesdays and Fridays, so somebody's covering those, too, and you don't hear from Jer about those either -- although maybe he does them but just lacks interest because they aren't big-sermon occasions or something..... I do wonder whether some of those other young guys sent out from the parent church aren't more interested in the pastoral-care track so they take care of most of that or something? 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, Churchhoney said:

Well, I think one fairly common Protestant pattern is to celebrate both a sort of "Christmas Sunday" -- the Sunday before the 25th -- and then also have services on either the 25th, the 24th or both (or a midnight Christmas Eve service.) ... The four Sundays before Christmas are the four Sundays of Advent, of course -- so celebrating each of those, with the fourth Sunday completing the Advent wreath (with the Christ candle in the middle as yet unlit) and thus qualifying as kind of a bigger deal than the other three candles. Protestants, as you know, are all over the map on everything,  though, because everybody's his own church. 

I'm not sure Jeremy is too big on pastoral time. You certainly never hear about it. (Although me may do it and just not mention it.) He is pretty obsessed with sermons, though..... His church must be pretty well stocked with additional passing pastors all sent out by the parent church in San Antonio since they do have to cover a lot of Sundays when he's away, and I noticed on the website in the past that there were regular meetings of some kind on, I think, Wednesdays and Fridays, so somebody's covering those, too, and you don't hear from Jer about those either -- although maybe he does them but just lacks interest because they aren't big-sermon occasions or something..... I do wonder whether some of those other young guys sent out from the parent church aren't more interested in the pastoral-care track so they take care of most of that or something? 

Catholics do the Advent wreath, too, with a candle for each Sunday leading up to Christmas.  That's why I can't picture doing a Christmas service on the Sunday prior to Christmas; that's the fourth Sunday of Advent.  Catholics follow a pretty strict liturgical calendar, you can't just shove Christmas services into Advent so that more people can attend.  Then, of course, unlike these tiny Protestant groups, the Catholic church really is worldwide and, virtually wherever you travel, you can attend a Catholic Mass where the structure of the liturgy including the readings for the week, are the very same the world over.  I subscribe to a Catholic missal and receive a monthly publication with Masses for every day of the month in it including the readings and responses which are unique to that day.  I have attended Mass in Italy, Peru and El Salvador and, despite not speaking the language, was able to follow the readings and prayers in my missal because they were just the same.  It's kinda reassuring, to be honest.

• Love 17
41 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

Catholics do the Advent wreath, too, with a candle for each Sunday leading up to Christmas.  That's why I can't picture doing a Christmas service on the Sunday prior to Christmas; that's the fourth Sunday of Advent.  Catholics follow a pretty strict liturgical calendar, you can't just shove Christmas services into Advent so that more people can attend.  Then, of course, unlike these tiny Protestant groups, the Catholic church really is worldwide and, virtually wherever you travel, you can attend a Catholic Mass where the structure of the liturgy including the readings for the week, are the very same the world over.  I subscribe to a Catholic missal and receive a monthly publication with Masses for every day of the month in it including the readings and responses which are unique to that day.  I have attended Mass in Italy, Peru and El Salvador and, despite not speaking the language, was able to follow the readings and prayers in my missal because they were just the same.  It's kinda reassuring, to be honest.

Well, you know, that's the real difference. And the essence of Catholicism vs. Protestantism, to my mind. One is "The Church." The other is -- faith as an individual-soul phenomenon and therefore, of course, an individual church phenomenon. (Not that there isn't deviation from both of these in both groups, of course, but -- in essence this is it. ...........

And with the fundies and evangelicals this individualism is even more pronounced, since many fundie churches don't even have a "denomination"-type church the way the mainline and some evangelical churches do. The very idea of a denomination that has a national or international name and an office somewhere or any kind of standard liturgy or hymns or anything coming down from above is anathema to some/most fundie/evangelical groups. As a Catholic, you have "the Church." Protestants do not. At all. And the more fundie you get the more that's true. So things morph a lot and vary hugely from place to place and over time.

(Ironically, of course, in response to this you also develop these one-man (or woman) cults (many of them) where one loony like Gothard or Doug Phillips etc etc takes over the whole "the Church" function and gives people back the top-down domination that Protestants were generally fleeing in the Reformation....You get one loon's thinking as a replacement for an institution. It's kind of delicious revenge, I suppose.) 

What I was trying to say about the Advent Sundays is that in fact that since the fourth Sunday is the final Advent Sunday, in some Protestant churches -- since they're all different -- has basically morphed into a Christmas service in some places because Protestant "traditions" morph like crazy over time and among groups, including among individual congregations, and local traditions change things. Because that's the nature of Protestantism -- in which, unlike in "the Church," you can CALL that Sunday anything you want. ... So since some people don't go to the Christmas service, it just becomes "the Christmas service" in some places.  

And in the early days of America -- up into the early 20th century, even -- few Protestant churches outside of large towns had anything but circuit preachers. Those guys had all they could handle just covering Sundays, I expect, so many small far-flung places didn't even have a pastor showing up on Christmas day, I'm sure. A Catholic church is an institution, with a standard practice. And a Protestant church just isn't, especially as you move further along the evangelical/fundie end of the spectrum. ... Note the name '' Independent Free Baptists," for example -- a big rebellion against the institutional type name of the Southern Baptist Convention and the National Baptist Convention, for example. They are not an institution -- they are independent and free. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
13 hours ago, DangerousMinds said:

Exactly! Once Catholic here, Christmas Day is 12/25, period.

Ahem.......my Christmas was yesterday;-) Today is the first and tomorrow second day of Christmas Bank Holiday. The Christmas season lasts until 6th January - another Bank holiday here, where by tradition you then take down all your ornaments (and not a day before, bahahaha)

• Love 8

Most Protestant churches don’t have services on Christmas. So, I can’t knock them for heading out to spend Christmas with family, especially since this is the 1st Christmas for the baby. My church did their big Christmas service Sunday since it’s so close to Christmas. 

• Love 4

Jeremy's church adheres to "Jeremy's Travel Schedule" plain and simple. No attachment to anything other than his airline ticket dates from what I have seen.

No explanation as to why it's ok for him to miss so many Sundays and who, exactly is taking his place. Do they simply cancel services or have some church member handle the whole thing? Pretty up in the air if you ask me if that's what they're doing.

• Love 13
On 12/11/2018 at 7:04 PM, BitterApple said:

I think Jeremy's a tad full of himself, but I don't think he's a narcissist. My late grandmother was a raging narcissist and she was a verbally and emotionally abusive person. I don't know what goes on behind closed doors, but I don't see any of the negative qualities in Jeremy that I experienced with her.

I agree. A narcassist thinks they have the ability to trick everyone around them so they don't generally have the need for self-preservation in crowds. So what we see in front of the camera, is likely way Jeremy is. 

• Love 2
37 minutes ago, floridamom said:

Jeremy's church adheres to "Jeremy's Travel Schedule" plain and simple. No attachment to anything other than his airline ticket dates from what I have seen.

No explanation as to why it's ok for him to miss so many Sundays and who, exactly is taking his place. Do they simply cancel services or have some church member handle the whole thing? Pretty up in the air if you ask me if that's what they're doing.

Have a question - not Christian so don't know - is it possible that Jeremy is a preacher sometimes but serves some other function in the church, so that the preacher-ing was never intended to be a full time gig?  Also, what is the difference between a preacher, a pastor, a minister, etc.  I think I know what a priest is and how that is different, but, maybe not.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, irisheyes said:

Most Protestant churches don’t have services on Christmas. So, I can’t knock them for heading out to spend Christmas with family, especially since this is the 1st Christmas for the baby. My church did their big Christmas service Sunday since it’s so close to Christmas. 

My Methodist church did the same.  They're more concerned with accommodating the needs of their congregation than adhering to a changing-day holiday like Christmas.  Holidays like Easter, Mother's Day and Father's Day keep their traditional Sunday celebrations, but others are adjusted.  It works for my community.  

And it's obvious that Grandma and Grandpa V. are thoroughly delighted with that little dumpling.  That's nice to see after so many years of fake Duggar smiles and gestures.  

• Love 11

I have to ask, for all those saying Jeremy wasn't at his church today, what time did your church have services today? I'm atheist, so I wasn't attending, but I passed like 6 churches on my way to my mom's house today, on the road 10-10:30, and these were Methodist, Lutheran, Protestant, and Apostolic churches that I know of and 1 looked to have like 8 cars in the lot, and the rest were completely empty. I feel like if all these religions are holding a Christmas service on Christmas Day, there should be some signs of life that I would have seen. I went back home and past these at about 2:20- 3 this afternoon, and saw even less, the one that I saw a few cars at still had a few, but they turned out out to be church vans just parked there. Did I just miss the service times? I didn't pass any Catholic churches, I went the other way, so I can't speak about their lot. 

• Love 4
4 hours ago, irisheyes said:

Jeremy didn't preach the Christmas gospel this past Sunday. He just picked up where he left off last week in the book of John. 

I didn't get a FB alert from GCC this morning, so there was no Christmas Day (or eve, for that matter) in Laredo.

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, MunichNark said:

Ahem.......my Christmas was yesterday;-) Today is the first and tomorrow second day of Christmas Bank Holiday. The Christmas season lasts until 6th January - another Bank holiday here, where by tradition you then take down all your ornaments (and not a day before, bahahaha)

Where I live, the locals believe that having you Christmas tree up on New Years Day is bad luck.  I grew up with a Ukrainian Catholic family that used to celebrate Christmas according to the Russian Orthodox calendar, so we always left up our decorations until at least January 6th.  I will have one of the few houses with decorations up past December 31st.

• Love 5
27 minutes ago, Fostersmom said:

I have to ask, for all those saying Jeremy wasn't at his church today, what time did your church have services today? I'm atheist, so I wasn't attending, but I passed like 6 churches on my way to my mom's house today, on the road 10-10:30, and these were Methodist, Lutheran, Protestant, and Apostolic churches that I know of and 1 looked to have like 8 cars in the lot, and the rest were completely empty. I feel like if all these religions are holding a Christmas service on Christmas Day, there should be some signs of life that I would have seen. I went back home and past these at about 2:20- 3 this afternoon, and saw even less, the one that I saw a few cars at still had a few, but they turned out out to be church vans just parked there. Did I just miss the service times? I didn't pass any Catholic churches, I went the other way, so I can't speak about their lot. 

This was a unique year because of Sunday being the last Sunday of Advent and then Christmas Eve and then Christmas.  Our large Lutheran Church had the normal two services on Sunday morning, Christmas Eve had two different  early evening children programs based on age of the child and today one service 9am, for those who need the comfort of a Christmas Day service.  

I actually did a check through our local newspaper listings of religious services within out community of 350,000. EVERYBODY had a least one service on Christmas Eve. The large churches regardless of specific denomination also had services today, though many chose to have an early evening service tonight.

That said, my point all along is an entirely untrained, inexperienced pastor given a congregation, abandoned his flock at his convenience. Especially odd after posting that carefully posed photo of his devotion to his call.

• Love 7
6 hours ago, doodlebug said:

I think that's why the Protestants call us "Robot Catholics".

(Instead of Roman, if you didn't see that)

Edited by SongbirdHollow
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, MunichNark said:

Hee! I'll see your 6th January and raise you another week. Christmas is on the 24th. Christmas Day is is for vegging and/or clubbing and Boxing day is for more vegging and eating yourself stupid on leftovers and chocolate. Christmas is not truly over until the 13th of January when the Christmas tree is plundered and Christmas danced out.

• Love 6

I think it is funny that over on the Dillard thread some people think Evangelicals are too stupid to know that Christmas is not actually the date Jesus was born, and over here the Vuolos are being criticized for not being in church on Christmas day.

As an Evangelical myself, I can say that I have never been in a church that had services on Christmas day unless it was on a Sunday, and some have even cancelled Sunday services if that day was Christmas. Christmas Eve service is usually singing, candle lighting, and maybe a short homily or some readings. Christmas day is seen as a family holiday. I've celebrated with family as early as Black Friday and as late as January 6, depending on availability and travel schedules.

• Love 11
10 minutes ago, Vaysh said:

Hee! I'll see your 6th January and raise you another week. Christmas is on the 24th. Christmas Day is is for vegging and/or clubbing and Boxing day is for more vegging and eating yourself stupid on leftovers and chocolate. Christmas is not truly over until the 13th of January when the Christmas tree is plundered and Christmas danced out.

So are all businesses closed on Boxing day?

• Love 1
Just now, crazycatlady58 said:

So are all businesses closed on Boxing day?

Sort of. It is an official holiday but Boxing Day is also when the Christmas Sales start (essentially Black Friday on steroids) so the poor bastards working retail or have essential jobs like cops and nurses and the like still have to show up for work. They get payed extra though at least. It used to be a lot more strict in the past with closed shops on all holidays and all but then capitalism happened.

• Love 2

From what I have read about Jeremy's church in Laredo, they haven't listed any other pastor/minister/preacher at that church other than Jeremy as far as I know. This is why I am wondering just what his role there is? Are there others who are already 'graduated and qualified' to be at the church. Is Jeremy really a preacher ' in training'? I'd like some real clarification from the Vuolos about these things.

As far as Roman Catholics go, there always is church 'on the day'. Exceptions are smaller holy days; the Epiphany is celebrated usually on the Sunday before or after Jan 6th depending what day of the week it falls; whichever Sunday is closer. The larger holy days, Christmas, Easter,  there are the usual scheduled masses. The 'day before the holiday' masses that count as the holiday masses are only said after sundown.; ie Easter Vigil high mass is after sundown on Holy Saturday. 

A pastor in the Catholic church is the 'head priest' who runs the parish; finances, spiritual practices and leads the parish. The associate pastors, pastoral vicars are the other guys under him. A preacher, we really don't have that I'm aware of. It's a Protestant term and position (?) help, Protestant posters) A minister is a clergical person who is not a Catholic priest, but of another Christian Protestant faith. I think I'm correct. Please correct me if I'm missing something here guys. 

• Love 4

I just can't imagine that Jeremy didn't have a Christmas Eve service. I live in the Bible Belt, but every church in town had at least two services. My Methodist church had three! There was a children's service, candlelight service, and 11 pm service. Maybe Jeremy just doesn't have a service because he can get away with not scheduling one? Idk. I just find it a little strange. 

ETA: I agree with the above poster who said that ministers sign up to make sacrifices, such as doing services on holidays. It's the same way teachers make sacrifices, like staying after school to sponsor clubs / sports and not getting anything for it. Maybe it's not totally desirable or fair, but you know that you're doing it for the good of other people. At least pastors (in an established denomination; idk about Jeremy) are fairly compensated for what they do, unlike teachers. 

Edited by Christina87
  • Love 8
52 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

I thought Boxing Day was for boxing up the gifts you didn't like and returning them! 😂

LOL! Could be, could be.

We don't actually use the term Boxing Day in Sweden but I don't know what else to call it in English. It's "Annandag jul" in Swedish which I suppose could be translated to Second Day of Christmas. Even though it's the third day. Which really only makes sense if you consider the old way of measuring days when a new day began at sundown, not at midnight. We actually are celebrating Christmas on Christmas Day, it's just that around these parts Christmas Day used to start sometime in the afternoon on the 24th. Which technically makes Boxing Day the second day of Christmas. Somehow. Aaand here endeth the random history lesson.

To keep this somewhat on topic, I'm kind of with @doodlebug on the oddness of Jeremy the Pastor not spending Christmas with his flock, at least part time. I think most churches here, Lutheran or Evangelical, have specific Christmas services on both Christmas Eve and Day. It's just such an important part of the liturgical year. For most people it is the only time they go to church if they ever do. Though perhaps Jeremy's church isn't quite so established that it has become a tradition to go there on Christmas just yet. If there's nothing especially Christmas-like about the service and hardly anyone else is attending I wouldn't want to waste family time going there either and if no one is coming, why would Jeremy bother with a service?

Edited by Vaysh
  • Love 1