Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggalos: Jinger and the Holy Goalie

Message added by cm-soupsipper,

Closure Notice: This Thread is now closed due to the name (and much of the posting within it). Please be mindful going forward by naming topics in a way that invites a healthy community conversation. If you name something for a cheap laugh, this thread may be closed later because it encourages discrimination and harm. 

• Start Topic

I think she looks good without the makeup (although basically a mini-me of Michelle), but the expression on her face makes me think she's feeling about DONE! Could still be the bad air quality, but the tense/weird "smile" makes me think she's just exhausted and ready to get this kid out of her. And by "kid," I mean Jeremy.

• LOL 5
  • Love 6

I think Jinger looks fine. This pandemic is wearing on us all in different ways. Even for those of us that are healthy, physically and financially comfortable this is getting fucking BORING with lots and lots of time looking at the same damn people. 

I couldn’t imagine being pregnant during this pandemic, having a small child to care for and having to look at my husband’s face all the time. Jinger doesn’t even have a WFH job to thrill her or break up the monotony. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 15
3 minutes ago, DangerousMinds said:

I don't think Jinger's life was much different before the pandemic.

At least she could go shopping, to restaurants and chat with strangers. People wanted to hang out in large groups, there was church etc. Now she’s HOME, all the time. 

• Love 6

Most of the guys in my life do not have any type of doodad with their keys because they carry them in their pockets when not in use. I can't figure Jeremy out. Its almost like he lived a lower income childhood and is buying things now, because he didn't have them then. He's 33 years old and not only did he buy a keychain, he posted it on SM for all to see. 

• LOL 13
  • Love 8

I mean...I read an article once that indicated that one difference between the middle class and the rich was that the middle class had more of a tendency to buy various items as kind of a "wannabe" effort to appear rich, whereas the rich save their money, invest, and do not buy excessive things (a house is different, as that is an investment). 

I do kind of question Jeremy's showing off a keychain though, as that would normally not be something to brag about. I think it is more the kicks than the actual keychain.

• Love 8
9 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

Most of the guys in my life do not have any type of doodad with their keys because they carry them in their pockets when not in use. I can't figure Jeremy out. Its almost like he lived a lower income childhood and is buying things now, because he didn't have them then. He's 33 years old and not only did he buy a keychain, he posted it on SM for all to see. 

Yeah, a grown man adding charms to his key chain is a little odd.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 9
  • Love 9
22 hours ago, emmawoodhouse said:

🙄

I don't understand one of the keychains in the background. I can see "The Steeple_____199". I have no idea what that is about. Anyone know or can fully make out what it says or what the picture is on top? (It looks like a ladle to me).

Edited by MaryAnneSpier
Spelling correction
2 minutes ago, MaryAnneSpier said:

I don't understand one of the keychains in the background. I can see "The Sheeple_____199". I have no idea what that is about. Anyone know or can fully make out what it says or what the picture is on top? (It looks like a ladle to me).

Looks to me like it says "The Steeple People" 199.  Can't tell if that's a ladle, or some kind of racket, or a skeleton type key above it.  I clearly need to get a life, because I googled "the steeple people" but only came up with ads for businesses that make steeples.  

• LOL 1
4 minutes ago, MaryAnneSpier said:

I don't understand one of the keychains in the background. I can see "The Steeple_____199". I have no idea what that is about. Anyone know or can fully make out what it says or what the picture is on top? (It looks like a ladle to me).

Searching "The Steeple los angeles," I found a link to a coffee house inside Grace Church in Sun Valley, CA, whose pastor is John MacArthur. The coffee shop is listed as closed on Google and the link I found on Eater LA goes to an unknown page on the Grace website.

• Useful 12
  • Love 2

i first thought it was a motel key. the steeple people offers so many fun options in a search. various thrift shops across the US. I sort of hoped it was steeple people member tag for 5 churches brewing in CT

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
58 minutes ago, crazy8s said:

i first thought it was a motel key. the steeple people offers so many fun options in a search. various thrift shops across the US. I sort of hoped it was steeple people member tag for 5 churches brewing in CT

I definitely thought it was a members' club tag as well (it was my first search) that he was "casually" showing off too, but didn't turn up anything. It does seem like a weird keychain for a church coffee house, but maybe students at the Masters' Seminary get free coffee with it or something? I'm also not saying my search turned up the right thing, but the MacArthur angle is too on the nose for it to be anything else IMO.

• Love 3
47 minutes ago, emmawoodhouse said:

Look at the Vuolos watching tonight's basketball game. 

So will Lissy be allowed to play team sports? Definitely something the Duggars never did. IIRC Meechelle said it would be too difficult to get everyone to practice etc. Especially on Duggar time.

• Love 8

I have no doubt that Lissy will play sports. I'm also willing to bet my eye teeth that she has about a fourth or a fifth of the siblings her mother has so the "get everyone to where they need to be" excuse won't be needed.

• Love 8
9 hours ago, ozziemom said:

So will Lissy be allowed to play team sports? Definitely something the Duggars never did. IIRC Meechelle said it would be too difficult to get everyone to practice etc. Especially on Duggar time.

This is the kind of thing that pleases me about the (very few) Duggarling marriages that involve a husband, especially, from outside the fold.

Jer played a team sport all his life, and so did his father, so I expect that'll definitely override their antediluvian views of woman's place when it comes to Jer's kids. Similarly, Der was a university mascot and loved it, so his list of approved activities for his kids will also outstrip JB's and M's list by a mile.

Much as those two guys annoy the hell out of me (and worse), their kids will nevertheless see more open doors in their lives than is likely for their cousins who have fewer real outside influences. Unfortunately, I expect JB and M realize this now, too, and from here on out will be much more leery of allowing any spouses in who come from outside the hive-mind. 

• Love 17
4 hours ago, Churchhoney said:

This is the kind of thing that pleases me about the (very few) Duggarling marriages that involve a husband, especially, from outside the fold.

Jer played a team sport all his life, and so did his father, so I expect that'll definitely override their antediluvian views of woman's place when it comes to Jer's kids. Similarly, Der was a university mascot and loved it, so his list of approved activities for his kids will also outstrip JB's and M's list by a mile.

Much as those two guys annoy the hell out of me (and worse), their kids will nevertheless see more open doors in their lives than is likely for their cousins who have fewer real outside influences. Unfortunately, I expect JB and M realize this now, too, and from here on out will be much more leery of allowing any spouses in who come from outside the hive-mind. 

I think Felicity will absolutely be able to play sports including on teams- as long as her father, and, eventually, husband, says it is ok.  Jer is less conservative than the Duggars on kids playing organized sports; but he is absolutely right with them on the notion that the female is ask permission from her headship for anything she wants to do. And her headship doesn't have to give a reason, if he doesn't allow it, she cannot do it.

• Love 4

I think she'll be allowed to play sports, but I hope she isn't pushed into it.  She won't necessarily have the interest or aptitude for athletics just because her father did.  Jer seems to be very concerned that his family reflects the image he wants to portray, and I can see him pushing all of his kids to be star athletes, whether it's what the child wants or not.

• Love 14
27 minutes ago, MonicaM said:

I think she'll be allowed to play sports, but I hope she isn't pushed into it.  She won't necessarily have the interest or aptitude for athletics just because her father did.  Jer seems to be very concerned that his family reflects the image he wants to portray, and I can see him pushing all of his kids to be star athletes, whether it's what the child wants or not.

There’s a lot of that going around these days, even among parents who were not pro athletes. If she’s pushed into sports, she’ll certainly meet a lot of other kids in the same situation.  And you never know, she may love it. 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, MonicaM said:

Yep, certainly is a danger.

On the other hand, at least if she did she'd be out of the house and among some different people. So it might be a danger with a small upside, to me, anyway. 🙂

1 hour ago, xwordfanatik said:

Ugly jacket and tie combo.  Is Jin blocking the ubiquitous pocket square?

I don't think Jer has the greatest sense of color....But maybe he realizes that the tie combined with a printed pocket square might be a little bit too clashy?!

• Love 5

Even if she's not into sports, it wouldn't surprise me if she'd take any chance to be out of the house when she gets older. I'm not sure many kids would enjoy the Vuolo life, which seems to consist largely of posing for pictures, going to gourmet coffee shops, and kissing MacArthur's ass. 

• Love 18
2 hours ago, MonicaM said:

IMO better that than being imprisoned in the TTH at the SOTDRT.   To me any chink of light for this generation is hope for their future.

• Love 8

What an ugly tie.  I wonder if he's allowed to wear such daring fashions to class...  don't they have a pretty strict conservative dress code?   I hope they don't push Publicitee too hard in terms of sports.  I was a tall teenager and many tried to force me to play basketball.  I said FORGET IT - I had no interest but the pressure was nonstop.  It made me hate sports even more.

• Love 9
3 hours ago, Zella said:

Even if she's not into sports, it wouldn't surprise me if she'd take any chance to be out of the house when she gets older. I'm not sure many kids would enjoy the Vuolo life, which seems to consist largely of posing for pictures, going to gourmet coffee shops, and kissing MacArthur's ass. 

3 hours ago, Tikichick said:

IMO better that than being imprisoned in the TTH at the SOTDRT.   To me any chink of light for this generation is hope for their future.

The difference between Felicity and the grandkids being raised at the TTH is Felicity is going to be exposed to other life styles. She'll know that other kids are not constantly posing for pictures or being dragged around the city to watch their parents be pretentious. The kissing MacArthur's butt thing is probably going to seem normal, though. Her TTH cousins aren't going to be aware that their life is stilted and doomed, everyone they know is has the same restrictions. Those who have the intelligence or desire for more are going to think they're the problem, not their actual circumstances.

• Love 10

Another good thing about girls playing sports is that it teaches them that they’re physically strong and capable. That their bodies are for *doing* things — not just for men to look at and do things to.

It’s also great socially. Sports teach leadership skills, teamwork skills, grit, etc.

I am not athletic at all, and come from a long line of unathletic people, but I got SO much out of playing sports in high school. I really hope Felicity has that opportunity.

• Love 15
On 10/12/2020 at 8:59 PM, rue721 said:

Another good thing about girls playing sports is that it teaches them that they’re physically strong and capable. That their bodies are for *doing* things — not just for men to look at and do things to.

It’s also great socially. Sports teach leadership skills, teamwork skills, grit, etc.

I am not athletic at all, and come from a long line of unathletic people, but I got SO much out of playing sports in high school. I really hope Felicity has that opportunity.

I hope that she is at least interested and coordinated enough to give it a good try...I was always horrible at team sports, and actively feared anything to do with them. I was the kid who managed to get a D in PE. And it's not that I was necessarily a couch potato...I rode my bike a lot, and liked hiking, and swimming in season, but hated organized sports, and have less than no interest in them to this day. I was invariably picked dead last for any teams, and had an insurmountable tendency to cover my face and duck at the merest hint of a ball coming anywhere near my general direction. High school sports were hell. My daughter is much like me in that respect, but was lucky enough to latch onto Tae Kwon Do pretty early in life, and excelled at that. There was nothing like that in my day and age, though, knowing myself, I'm not sure that would have worked out any better, as I have always had a bit of antipathy toward structured discipline. Given that I never could be persuaded to genuflect coming down the aisle in a Catholic church, I really doubt that I could have found it in myself to bow at the start of a Tae Kwon Do class either. But that's just my personal bit of unreasonableness.

Edited by Jynnan tonnix
  • LOL 2
  • Love 12

I stared too long at that picture of Jer in the suit and tie, not because he's so dapper but because I was trying to figure out what was clipped to his shirt under his tie. Microphone for spontaneous monologues? Nope. Too big. Surveillance camera? No. Wrong shape. Tie clasp? Nah. Completely missed the tie. 

I think it's one of his fancy fountain pens! He's probably stopped multiple times during each outing to sign autographs for his legions of admirers, so he wants to be ready to whip out a $600 pen to impress the fans.  

Please let that thing leak all over his fancy shirt and tie. If not today, then the next time. 

• LOL 19