Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggalos: Jinger and the Holy Goalie

Message added by cm-soupsipper,

Closure Notice: This Thread is now closed due to the name (and much of the posting within it). Please be mindful going forward by naming topics in a way that invites a healthy community conversation. If you name something for a cheap laugh, this thread may be closed later because it encourages discrimination and harm. 

• Start Topic

(edited)

I wonder how many of Jer's seminary classmates are living large in LA. You know, dining at trendy Beverly Hills eateries, attending professional sporting events, promoting expensive pocket squares on social media, and showcasing their  baby wearing a customized personalized soccer jersey. 

Hey, I could be wrong, but I suspect that at least some of those seminarians are driving old cars, eating a lot of ramen, and following their favorite teams on TV. And shopping for baby clothes at Goodwill.

Way to impress your classmates, Jer. 

OTOH I suppose Jer doesn't have to give a damn what his fellow seminarians think of him. He seems to be the flavor of the month in the head office so the little guys don't matter.

What could possibly go wrong?

Edited by Jeeves
  • LOL 7
  • Love 16
12 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

The influencer era is rather annoying isn't it? It also encourages an entitlement mentality. I fear it's here to stay though. Giving away a $50 product is still cheaper than any ad, whether print or televised. It's a crazy, crazy time that we're living in.

Maybe I'll start a boring lady instagram account and influence folks to by reader glasses, hair dye, supportive bras and comfy reading chairs. I could take a picture of me with my shiny blonde locks and perky boobs, reading my Kindle! #paymeforbeingme

Jitterbug, Life Alert , and Fixodent need promotions like any other products. I'm not sure social media is the right place, but you never know. Or you could just walk around the neighborhood and talk to folks. 

• LOL 8
  • Love 4
(edited)

iThe bow on that poor baby's head is idiotic.  I did a quick search and discovered that infant's MLS jerseys WITHOUT personalization are on sale for 40 bucks.  If they didn't get it on sale, it was at least twice that. Who in their right mind pays that for a shirt a baby can only wear for a couple months before outgrowing it?

I make a decent living as do many of my friends, but the idea of paying that kind of cash for baby clothes is appalling to me.  Most of the people I know, even those making mid 6 figures or better, buy their kids' play clothes at Target or Kohl's or Old Navy.

Of course, Jeremy is showing signs of being grifty as hell and the move to LA is probably part of his mission to grab as many freebies as possible so I suppose he found a way to get the kid's shirt for nothing.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 24

I will say that the true influencers--the ones who make a career out of pimping stuff on Instagram and earn tens of thousands of dollars a year--are not the people who walk into a business and demand something for free.  The real influencers have businesses contact them about sponsored posts.  The goal is actual income and not a one-time freebie like ice cream or a dinner.   They also put time and effort into their posts--their carefully crafted social media personalities, extra equipment and software to get the best pictures, writing and editing the body of their posts to get the correct message across, scheduling their posts so that there is variety in them to keep people interested, deciding what companies to partner with, etc, etc.  

I do wonder if Jeremy and Jinger are savvy enough to understand how to truly monetize their social media.  I think they are especially compared to the rest of the Duggars.  We may snark about Jeremy's pretentiousness, but he is crafting a social media presence that could be used to make money.  The Vuolos definitely think more about their posts than Jill who just slaps any old picture up on Instagram without thinking about the consequences.  

• Love 19

My kids are only a few years older than Felicity. The giant bows were not in style yet, but headbands with giant fake flowers were. For the girls, part of the reason to put headbands on them was to train them to get used to having their hair styled. I can't stand to wear headbands or hats because I never wore them growing up, and I wanted my daughters to have a tolerance to having things on their heads so they can wear a style if they like it.

I know that might sound strange, but I do not force them to wear anything they don't want to keep on. The oldest mostly keeps her hair loose, but likes hats and clips. Middle daughter keeps her hair buzzed in back and about 1.5 inches on top, but wears lots of bows and headbands. Youngest loves ponytails and bows. 

As long as Felicity doesn't mind the bows, I have no problem with them. Jojo Siwa and her giant bows hit the preschool crowd around a year ago, so it's a pretty mainstream trend. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 12
On 7/2/2019 at 10:00 PM, Spencer Hastings said:

. Oops, ^^^ (disregard)

Regarding the huge hairband  bow, it's not even a kid size bow/band. It looks like an adult size hairband by the way it's angled on her head.  Poor thing having to have that thing on her head.  

• Love 8
1 hour ago, GeeGolly said:

My kids spent much of their toddlerhoods trying to get naked. One was a fricking Houdini and could get naked in a 5 minute car ride, strapped in a car-seat. A bow on any of their heads? Forget it.

That is so funny.  I've heard of stories where the parents have resorted to duct tape to keep diapers on.  

• LOL 7
  • Love 2
7 hours ago, BitterApple said:

I think it's tacky for Jinger and Jeremy to be posting pictures of themselves whooping it up at soccer games while her sister is in the hospital weeping over her dead child. I'm not saying they shouldn't have gone, but it's tone deaf. I'd be on the first plane home if it was my sister. They certainly have plenty of money to spend on clothes, custom baby jerseys and expensive dinners. Surely an airline ticket isn't out of the question. It seems like those two live in their own world, and that world is becoming increasingly self-centered.

I find it interesting that you (and others) have suggested that Jinger and Jeremy come home. I’m not saying youre wrong but the thought wouldn’t have crossed my mind. Joy has a husband, and a gazillion other relatives in spitting distance. If she were ALL by herself (as in Austin was out of town for work or she was a single mom) and she had one other sibling I could see them flying to be with her. I think Jill is the only one that actually wants to be with her right now (of the siblings I mean- Jill does love her very much). 

I knowledge that my opinion may be skewed as I have a very large extended family that all lives in the chicago land era (practically) and a very small nuclear family- with my sister’s disability I think like an only child in a lot of ways, but I wouldn’t expect anyone to get on an airplane to see me because I had a pregnancy loss. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 18

Hunger may have already spoken with or texted Joy privately with her condolences. Not everything needs to be for public consumption. 

Now... I want to see Jinger and Jeremy’s house in So.Cal! 

• Love 3
(edited)

If it were my sister, I would have been on the first plane, train, or automobile going 88 mph down the highway. But I have just one sister and we are extremely close.  I took care of her as a teenager while my mom worked and she still sees me as a mother figure. It would make sense if Joy’s many other siblings didn’t make it to the hospital or to their house, or if Joy requested Jill specifically.  For every negative aspect of her personality, it doesn’t escape me that she loves and takes care of her buddies like a mother. Jill not being there would be weird, the others, not so much. 

Edited by Spencer Hastings
  • Love 13

As someone who lives in a soccer country I know many kids with customized soccer jerseys. At least here a jersey like that isn't something special.

I hope they really let Felicity play soccer when she is a little bit older. I would love to see her run around in little shorts and a jersey surrounded by other little kids and have fun like any "normal" child.

• Love 11

Joy waited a week or so to post the end of the pregnancy didn't she?   She was home by the time the Vuolos went to the soccer game.  Perhaps Jinger offered to go, but Joy said Carlin was enough.  Joy may easily be closer to Carlin than to Jinger.  I see disentangling from the homebase Duggars as a good thing although I guess it could also be selfish.  

• Love 12
1 minute ago, BitterApple said:

I guess I'm looking at it from the standpoint of two adults who don't work, have plenty of disposable income and don't think twice about flitting all over the country for the fun stuff. I don't even think Jeremy needed to go. Felicity could've stayed with him for a couple days while Jinger went to be with Joy. I guess it's one of those things where mileage will have to vary. There's no right or wrong opinion, I'm just saying what I would've done if my life circumstances mirrored Jinger's 

No I understand. You’re coming from a place of love towards a sibling! That I get, but there are so many damn Duggars, humans only have so much emotional bandwidth for close relationships. They may “love” all of their family members in a superficial way, but as far as deep emotional bonds, I think Joy has that with Jill (and the rest of that buddy team), and likely Joe/Josiah....and that’s it. I could absolutely see Jill flying back to comfort Joy, but the rest of them? Nah. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 16
(edited)
7 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

I think I'm looking at it from the standpoint of two adults who don't work, have plenty of disposable income and don't think twice about flitting all over the country for the fun stuff. I don't even think Jeremy needed to go. Felicity could've stayed with him for a couple days while Jinger went to be with Joy. I guess it's one of those things where mileage will have to vary. There's no right or wrong opinion, I'm just saying what I would've done if my life circumstances mirrored Jinger's. Twenty weeks is pretty deep into a pregnancy to miscarry. I'm surprised they don't appear more affected.

I don't think any of them are particularly close.

And I don't think even the ones that are close by their definition -- like Jill and Joy -- are likely to have much comprehension of how one another feels or even thinks.

There were no rewards in a Duggar childhood for expressing thoughts or emotions or for welcoming the expression of anything honest from anyone else, either, I would imagine.

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 5
(edited)
26 minutes ago, Dirndl said:

As someone who lives in a soccer country I know many kids with customized soccer jerseys. At least here a jersey like that isn't something special.

I hope they really let Felicity play soccer when she is a little bit older. I would love to see her run around in little shorts and a jersey surrounded by other little kids and have fun like any "normal" child.

Hard to tell about the cost. 

That's an official MLS Red Bulls jersey. And according to the Red Bull website, one of those in a children's size customized with a player name is $94.99........And a toddler-size official jersey without a name is $44.99. 

So somewhere in that range is the price, I would assume.

I'd think it was a freebie. But Jer hasn't played in New York since 2013 or thereabouts and he only played there one year. So I doubt the team would be giving him free official jerseys for life or anything.....(although it's certainly possible Jer bought jerseys in multiple sizes at a discount when he was there.  Seems like something one might do...)

31 minutes ago, PradaKitty said:

Hunger may have already spoken with or texted Joy privately with her condolences. Not everything needs to be for public consumption. 

Now... I want to see Jinger and Jeremy’s house in So.Cal! 

Interesting that "Jinger" corrects to "Hunger." 😃

Edited by Churchhoney
  • LOL 14
  • Love 3
7 minutes ago, leighdear said:

Smart they got a jersey with "Vuolo" on it instead of "Felicity".  When the next one comes along, they can wear it too, at the same age.  As many kids as they have can wear it, as a tradition.  I think it's pretty damn cool.  A bond with dad each child can have through a special jersey.  

From the website it looks like you can only get these with a player's name.

Best guess is that he realized just what you say here -- that he'd likely want some kid-sized jerseys down the line -- and bought them before he left the team....when he probably got some break on the price. 

• Love 3
11 minutes ago, Churchhoney said:

From the website it looks like you can only get these with a player's name.

Best guess is that he realized just what you say here -- that he'd likely want some kid-sized jerseys down the line -- and bought them before he left the team....when he probably got some break on the price. 

I think the Jersey may have been a gift from Luis Robles (former Red Bulls goalie). He could personalize a jersey.

• Useful 3
  • Love 2
38 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

I think the Jersey may have been a gift from Luis Robles (former Red Bulls goalie). He could personalize a jersey.

Yeah, I was also thinking it was the kind of gift Luis (or Jeremy’s parents) would be thrilled to get for them, because it’s so perfect for their kid specifically. And if there aren’t sites to personalize those particular jerseys, then it clearly was either gifted or facilitated by a former teammate or something Jer or someone in his family had the foresight to grab when his name was already on the jerseys for sale. I’m not discounting their springing for it, but people close to Jer would absolutely go for that as a gift, too.

• Love 1
(edited)

I don't know the exact timeline involved, but I also think it is possible that Jinger was in the midst of moving, maybe expecting the van to arrive with their stuff or needing to get the keys to the new place at the exact moment Joy had her loss.  Maybe Jeremy was involved in something at school and couldn't leave.  It could be that they offered to come and Joy told them not to or they arranged another time to visit.

I don't have a problem with Jinger and/or Jeremy not immediately dropping everything and returning to Arkansas because 1) It looks like Joy had multiple people surrounding her who were closer to her and supportive and 2) Jinger is also in the midst of a major life change, albeit a happier one and it was probably not practical to put the brakes on the move to California right in the middle of the process.

I guess I am also speaking from personal experience.  I had a close friend who always needed to be right there for everyone at all times.  Whatever happened, you could count on her to call to see how you were doing, send cards, drop by with cookies, just hang around 'in case you need me'.  Quite frankly, she was exhausting and it seemed like it was an ego boost for her more than actual empathy for the plight of others.  After my nephew died, I finally had to tell her to stop leaving cards and notes on my desk at work; it was too much to deal with.  And, of course, she turned it all around and told me how much I'd hurt her feelings by not loving the attention.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Useful 1
  • Love 18

Yeah, I think Joy had plenty of support. 

I don't know how Joy feels, but I am a very quiet person and would prefer just to be with my husband and maybe my parents in a situation like this.  It would overwhelm me to be with lots of people.  When I'm grieving I can't handle people displaying pity toward me.  It just makes me uncomfortable.

• Love 20

The Vuolos also seem to have a camera crew filming their first moments in LA and Jinger flying back to Arkansas would have messed up the filming schedule. 

• Love 6
7 hours ago, BitterApple said:

I think it's tacky for Jinger and Jeremy to be posting pictures of themselves whooping it up at soccer games while her sister is in the hospital weeping over her dead child. I'm not saying they shouldn't have gone, but it's tone deaf. I'd be on the first plane home if it was my sister. They certainly have plenty of money to spend on clothes, custom baby jerseys and expensive dinners. Surely an airline ticket isn't out of the question. It seems like those two live in their own world, and that world is becoming increasingly self-centered.

While I personally would go back home to see Joy, I can see why maybe they wouldn't ( Maybe they aren't close at all, Joy told her not to, they can't get out there for whatever reason ect)

However- if i my sister did just lose a child and we were both reality tv personalities infamous enough to have forums dedicated to our social media posts....i'd probably cool it on the posts for a week or two...it isn't a good look IMO. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 19

They continue to not bother me. I don't share the vast majority of their beliefs, and that's ok. I think that they love each other and their kid, and I just want them to keep posting her pictures because she's so cute and lively. I do find it a bit funny that they are hated for their beliefs and intolerance and yet those who dislike them the most seem equally as intolerant in their own way. 

• Love 8
(edited)
3 hours ago, leighdear said:

Smart they got a jersey with "Vuolo" on it instead of "Felicity".  When the next one comes along, they can wear it too, at the same age.  As many kids as they have can wear it, as a tradition.  I think it's pretty damn cool.  A bond with dad each child can have through a special jersey.  

Don't give JerJer and Jing any credit.  This is TLC.  It is all being filmed for the next season.  Which will be full of LA glam and Arkansas tragedy.  And all the fans will suck it up.  😬😬😬😬😬.

Edited by fonfereksglen
  • Useful 2
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, Lunera said:

The Vuolos also seem to have a camera crew filming their first moments in LA and Jinger flying back to Arkansas would have messed up the filming schedule. 

Or made for “excellent special footage” and drama. If it were Jessa, I’d be more surprised, but Joy’s closest to Jill. I have to assume, and certainly hope, that Joy had who she wanted and needed.

20 minutes ago, yogi2014L said:

However- if i my sister did just lose a child and we were both reality tv personalities infamous enough to have forums dedicated to our social media posts....i'd probably cool it on the posts for a week or two...it isn't a good look IMO. 

Yes, here I totally agree. She doesn’t have to go radio silent (maintaining interest in the family is the family business, after all), but I don’t think I’d choose to keep up the happy, not-pressing or major stories and posts at this rate. Especially on the same days the tragic info is being released. (As a totally shallow comparison, I was about to post tourist photos when the Paris bombings occurred back in late 2015. I was going to feel like a shallow ass - between the breaking news in and of itself and that being the major tone on my own FB feed - so held my tourist photos that some people had even specifically asked about for a few days. 🤷🏻‍♀️) They could slow it down and hold some for next week, even if she and Joy don’t really keep up at all, but I’m also not getting bent out of shape about it - it’s likely as not that Joy’s perfectly fine or even happy with some distraction while scrolling; she’s been liking Jing’s posts, so odds are she isn’t particularly irritated or hurt by it because appropriate sentiments and check-ins have happened privately. At least Jing isn’t making Joy’s tragedy about her?

• Love 5

Is that really an ARMANI store?

Jeremy needs a reality check. He can’t afford a deep breath in there, let alone buy something.

I dislike him more and more and it’s  because of his famewhoring, self-absorption and vanity. If that makes me “intolerant” I’m fine with that.

• Love 17
6 minutes ago, Oldernowiser said:

Is that really an ARMANI store?

Jeremy needs a reality check. He can’t afford a deep breath in there, let alone buy something.

I dislike him more and more and it’s  because of his famewhoring, self-absorption and vanity. If that makes me “intolerant” I’m fine with that.

It's a high-end resale shop. Either way, if Jeremy isn't getting free merch, it's money they don't need to be spending. I can't imagine he's hurting for clothes. 

• Love 13

Though I probably would have if it were my sister (not that I have one), I can understand why Jinger didn't go back to Arkansas--might not have been able to--but I really don't think it would kill her or Jeremy to put a temporary moratorium on the social media posting. They could easily sit on those pics a few days out of respect.  

As for people being intolerant of Jinger and Jeremy, I direct more of my ire at Jeremy. But people are intolerant of him because he's an insufferable ass. He's more than earned the scorn tossed his way. 

• Love 17
1 hour ago, yogi2014L said:

While I personally would go back home to see Joy, I can see why maybe they wouldn't ( Maybe they aren't close at all, Joy told her not to, they can't get out there for whatever reason ect)

My exact thoughts.

I understand that maybe they weren't super close and Jinger needed to keep doing the move to CA.

But I am 100% sure I would lay off the super-happy-look at us-posts. 

Mary just died and now poor Joy's loss.  Might wanna tone it back a bit.  

• Love 11