Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggalos: Jinger and the Holy Goalie

Message added by cm-soupsipper,

Closure Notice: This Thread is now closed due to the name (and much of the posting within it). Please be mindful going forward by naming topics in a way that invites a healthy community conversation. If you name something for a cheap laugh, this thread may be closed later because it encourages discrimination and harm. 

• Start Topic

52 minutes ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

I realize that as a pastor Jeremy is going to have a lot of focus on religious/Christian themes, but every time he's pictured with books, and always making sure to include his love for them, it's stuff like this. It doesn't come across so much "I love to read" to me as "I love the Bible and anything connected with it". What of a little light reading? Mr Jyn and I are both big readers, and though he has a gazillion books related this degrees in Math, History, Foreign affairs and Diplomacy, he also has a huge number of those legal/political thriller type books, which he goes through like potato chips. I tend more toward humor, memoir/biography, atheist, and a smattering of historical and science fiction. But I re-read much more than he does, so my collection isn't quite as large.

Here's his library. No room for my books....they are relegated to a couple of bookcases in the bedrooms.

934834_10151590796172778_678966610_n.jpg

Although not my taste, it looks like a cozy room. But,but,but what do I see on the chest to the far right? Are those decanters of wine? or is it grape juice?

• Love 2
Just now, bythelake said:

Although not my taste, it looks like a cozy room. But,but,but what do I see on the chest to the far right? Are those decanters of wine? or is it grape juice?

He's a big fan or Port, so it's probably that. This is an older picture...I think it's been joined by some Irish whiskey, and some of our homemade cherry liqueur...The wine is in the kitchen and the big rack in the basement :)

• Love 10
3 hours ago, Catlyn said:

There's a lot of new books on the shelves. Many look like the haven't been even opened for a quick perusal.  There are a view that look older however, but were they Jeremy's or bought used?

I hope he saved the difference.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Jellybeans said:

Well don't hate me but I like my books orderly so I can find them.  I think it is a good picture of a book lover.  Nothing wrong with the photo or having a library.  If the bookshelves were messy, I think the comments would reflect the messiness.  

Not my type of reading material at all.  Not one book I'd read but it is his library so more power to him.

I shoot for orderly.  I try really hard cause I like things symmetrical.  But I fail normally.  Jellybeans you are an inspiration!  While I wouldn't get the same books as he did I applaud that someone in that family likes to read.  Maybe he will venture onto lighter reads eventually.  I love actual books and only do ebooks if I am flying somewhere.  I take too many books and it adds too much weight.  Nothing like being at JFK at 4am and having to repack everything so I can get rid of 7 extra pounds that somehow made it into my bag.  Or I can quit buying more books.  Ebooks seems easier.

2 hours ago, doodlebug said:

That was my first thought.  For a guy who claims to love books and reading so much, most of the books on his shelves look like they've never been opened.  I think he may be doing all of this posing with them in order to get the publishers to give him free books.  It's not an uncommon racket for someone on Instagram with a lot of followers to cut deals with various businesses to plug their merchandise online for money and free stuff.  I could see Jeremy pursuing this kind of a 'career'.  He's like Kim Kardashian without the botox.

I remember watching some house makeover show and learned people actually buy books just for their bookcase display.  Not that they plan on reading any of them, they just liked the look.  Gave me the sads as a book lover.

• Love 12
11 minutes ago, Arwen Evenstar said:

Pseudo intellectual asshole is what I personally think of Jermy.

It's painfully obvious that Jeremy feels inadequate in his job and is trying to make up for the fact that he never went to a seminary or divinity school.  He has no degree in theology and is ill-prepared for pulpit ministry.  His sermons sound like he is reading from a book because he probably is. 

• Love 11
On ‎2017‎-‎09‎-‎13 at 9:18 AM, BitterApple said:

Wow, I'm kind of surprised a guy who grew up in Pennsylvania has never been ice skating before, but Jinger's looking fabulous. I like the coat she's wearing.

Yeah, in my part of Canada our kids go skating (we would never call it 'ice' skating), as part of their physical education curriculum. Kinda wondered if the US did the same. 

14 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

Hey @Marigold, I couldn't help but think of you when I saw this gem. 

This guy is all smoke and mirrors. To me, he over playing his role. Smarmy ass kisser. It's time for some of his failed soccer career exploits to be revealed and bring this douche down. Jinger has been doing this lying bullshit since her family was televised, she is the perfect Bonnie to this Clyde. Other than that, I don't think they would have ended up together. Funny, instead of liking Jeremy, I'm really beginning to dislike Jinger. Her video to him for his birthday was an acting gig, Duggar productions. 

He either ends up in his million dollar ministry, or someone pulls the Jenga piece that brings this playhouse down. 

• Love 17

I love orderly bookcases as well.  I can see Jeremy wanting hardback copies of books he loves (has read) for his library.  There is something quite satisfying about it.

My collection (as well as any reader here) would be quite different but I can appreciate the love one has for a personal library.  Remember Jeremy's dismay when Jessa put his books in the closet...it wasn't fake.

• Love 11

This seems like another situation where the Duggars et al. can't win

Any situation is easy to 'win' - just don't be an arrogant asshole. None of these people can do that, books or no.

Edited by JoanArc
Spelling
  • Love 9
7 minutes ago, JoanArc said:

Any situation is easy to 'win' - just don't be an argent asshole. None of these people can do that, books or no.

It also helps one's cred if one wasn't posting anti masturbation sermons on YouTube. Just sayin'. You can have all the books you want, but you're still a doofus if you do that.

• Love 11

Something I see from that picture.... it's very very different from the other Duggar households. There are books. There are book ends( heavy knick- knacks). There are formal chairs.  I don't know what the rest of the house looks like...but this is not a 19 child home. 

• Love 11
9 minutes ago, Arwen Evenstar said:

It also helps one's cred if one wasn't posting anti masturbation sermons on YouTube. Just sayin'. You can have all the books you want, but you're still a doofus if you do that.

Does Pastor V know libraries exist?

• Love 1

Re: meekness

Raised mainstream Christian and only recently saw this definition of meekness, which made so much sense to me vis-a-vis J.Christ's exhortations to be that way:  

"Meekness is not weakness -- it is strength under control."

Googled that and discovered it is part of this longer poem by AbrahamL.  I can't help but root for Jinge & therefore for Jerm and so here it is. YMMV. 

" Don’t think of me as weak, shy, reserved, or timid.

I’m a child of the king the half has not yet been told.

No! You can’t walk all over me and treat me like a door mat, I’m not trying to straighten out the world and that settles that.

I refuse to respond to every critic and I won’t let it bother me, I may have the power to do something about it, but my time Is too valuable you see:

I’ll keep my focus and stand tall doing What I’m called to do. My strength and power is in God’s control

Meekness is not weakness, blessed are the chosen few."

Edited by BckpckFullaNinjas
  • Love 7
5 hours ago, JocelynCavanaugh said:

This seems like another situation where the Duggars et al. can't win. Most of them get criticized for being willfully ignorant, intellectually incurious, and resistant to formal education (fair enough; I happen to dislike those characteristics quite a bit, too!). But when one of them does profess a love for books and learning, he's accused of being a showoff, a fake, a bore, etc.

I'm completely on board with his love of books -- and have been all along. I've said that repeatedly. 

However, I find this new trail of pictures pitiful. Seems to me he's clearly trying way too hard to demonstrate ... something. ... That he's actually smart and educated when he fears he doesn't have enough of those qualities to impress the big-shot religious guys he hopes to impress? Something along those lines ... 

However ... seems to me he's making a bit of an ass of himself in the pictures, and that they don't have a ghost of a chance of impressing the people that I suspect he wants to impress.

I don't read the pictures as him just being jokey. Or as instances of Jingle just casually taking some photos of her man in a book-filled room when he isn't aware he's being photographed. I can't see them any other way than as reeking of insecurity. That just leaps off the page to me. And I'm pretty sure that's not his intention. I think he wants to look like a serious intellectual in some of them and like a really fun, witty personable guy in others. And my sense is that he hopes the gatekeepers of the career world he aspires to enter will see it that way. But I have the strong feeling that they'll see the photos pretty much the same way I do. As pictures of somebody who's trying way way too hard because he's insecure. .... He's not going to win with that strategy. He should stick with reading and forgo what look to me like misfiring advertisements, I think. 

If I'm reading his hopes and intentions wrong, then that's good. If he's just being a joker and isn't posting this stuff with any intentions, then he can carry on and I won't pity him a bit!

58 minutes ago, mythoughtis said:

Something I see from that picture.... it's very very different from the other Duggar households. There are books. There are book ends( heavy knick- knacks). There are formal chairs.  I don't know what the rest of the house looks like...but this is not a 19 child home. 

I missed the picture of the Vuolo chairs. Where's that one? 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 11
20 minutes ago, Churchhoney said:

I missed the picture of the Vuolo chairs. Where's that one? 

Maybe someone misunderstood my pic of Mr Jyn's library to be Jeremy's? I'm too quick with posting pictures sometimes where they are not relevant. Sorry. I just love sharing pictures...would love to see some more from people here. In the prayer closet thread, of course, where they belong...

• Love 8
3 minutes ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

Maybe someone misunderstood my pic of Mr Jyn's library to be Jeremy's? I'm too quick with posting pictures sometimes where they are not relevant. Sorry. I just love sharing pictures...would love to see some more from people here. In the prayer closet thread, of course, where they belong...

I like Mr. Jyn's library.  I have books in my (supposed to be) hall linen closet, living room, and bedroom.  I purge every now & then, and buy e-books a lot, but I do like physical books a lot.  It's hard to part with anything I liked and think I might reread.

Jer's picture reminds me of a line from one of my favorite movies:  An ounce of pretention is worth a pound of manure :)

Don't try too hard, Pastor Vuolo.  Spend your time ministering to your flock.

• Love 7
8 minutes ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

Oh, you're probably right. I didn't even think of that ... Largely because I'm always missing pictures because I don't find those little arrows to click! And I tried clicking all over the last few Vuolo shots and couldn't find anything. 

I love your husband's library! 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, JoanArc said:

Any situation is easy to 'win' - just don't be an arrogant asshole. None of these people can do that, books or no.

I'm not sure how Jeremy is being an "arrogant asshole" in that picture. A little corny is the worst I can see.

1 hour ago, Arwen Evenstar said:

His view on masturbation is obviously not a popular one, but I don't think he's a "doofus" for having certain beliefs.  I don't really follow the argument that having unpopular views about something negates the attempt to better oneself through reading. It's odd to me how conservative evangelicals are held to a social and cultural standard they never signed up for. The YouTube sermons seem like an entirely separate issue to me. (I'm not really into sermons on YouTube as a general rule, and I'd definitely avoid the ones posted by a small-time pastor of a church I'd never attend, so they don't really factor in here.)

• Love 11

Has somebody positively identified Jeremy as being in his own house, in that shot with the books?  When I saw it, my first impression was that he was in an actual reference library and he was either given outright the set of books he's caressing, or has been allowed to use them.  

The table they're on is obviously large, and the shelves behind him have a lot of books in sets or series.  Way more than we previously saw that he owned.  And the bookcases flanking the window seem a lot larger and more substantial than the ones from his little apartment that fit into his closet.   

To me, the dead giveaway is the mini-blinds on the window.  If any Duggar had been within 1,000 miles of that place, there would just be a pillow case over it. 

I don't believe that's the Vuolo home.  And I think it's just Jinger snapping photos of things she likes.  

Edited by leighdear
  • Love 6

I could almost smell those books. I'm a little jealous of seeing all these books as we lost all of ours due to the tornado. We had all kinds of books in our house from the kids Golden Books, Dr Seuss and whatever book craze the kids moved through as they aged. We had leather bound classics, hardcovers (hubby preferred) paperbacks (my preference), etc. They were in bookcases, night stands, the bathroom and yes, even in closets. We now are ebook readers but often give books as gifts and I do enjoy being around all the books.

I probably have hugged a book that I've waited on to be published or maybe one I was given as a gift, but it would have been a moment of spontaneous joy or appreciation and certainly wouldn't have lasted long enough for a picture.

I'm going to the book store tomorrow.

• Love 20
1 hour ago, JocelynCavanaugh said:

His view on masturbation is obviously not a popular one, but I don't think he's a "doofus" for having certain beliefs.

Simply my own opinion, as I find it hard to want to take anything he has to say seriously after that. I have been personally damaged by extremism in beliefs as in some of those he holds. Causing guilt and shame over natural bodily curiosity and urges can do more harm than good, though I agree he's not the only one out there doing this by far. 

I don't really follow the argument that having unpopular views about something negates the attempt to better oneself through reading.

It doesn't by any means.  Jeremy is college educated and pastors have volumes of books they use.  I'd expect any pastor worth his or her salt to have a library, but they don't go out on social media all the time trumpeting that they have this book or that or that they are the only one who's ever read a book. The rest of the Duggar family would do well to read some of Jeremy's books. I snark on Jeremy only because he purports to pastor a church, but it seems he's rarely if ever there ministering to his little flock.  He's left many with the impression he's not taking his vocation as seriously as most pastors many of us know that do.  

It's odd to me how conservative evangelicals are held to a social and cultural standard they never signed up for.

Putting oneself on TV, YouTube, TeeVee and social media pretty much signs them up for that. He got on the TLC gravy train and hooked himself up to a Duggar daughter, albeit my favorite one.  Those other conservatives evangelicals who choose to be on social media generally choose to keep their accounts and views among their likeminded ilk private and not public accounts. 

The YouTube sermons seem like an entirely separate issue to me. (I'm not really into sermons on YouTube as a general rule, and I'd definitely avoid the ones posted by a small-time pastor of a church I'd never attend, so they don't really factor in here.)

• Love 10
1 hour ago, leighdear said:

Has somebody positively identified Jeremy as being in his own house, in that shot with the books?  When I saw it, my first impression was that he was in an actual reference library and he was either given outright the set of books he's caressing, or has been allowed to use them.  

The table they're on is obviously large, and the shelves behind him have a lot of books in sets or series.  Way more than we previously saw that he owned.  And the bookcases flanking the window seem a lot larger and more substantial than the ones from his little apartment that fit into his closet.   

To me, the dead giveaway is the mini-blinds on the window.  If any Duggar had been within 1,000 miles of that place, there would just be a pillow case over it. 

I don't believe that's the Vuolo home.  And I think it's just Jinger snapping photos of things she likes.  

I'm almost positive he was in an actual library, maybe the one he was standing up in a few weeks ago when a different picture was taken?  The reason why I think that is, I've spent a lot of time in libraries staring at shelves (both have a master's degree in library science and have seen a lot of library stacks in pictures; in addition to years spent working in more than one live library pre-degree, and staring at those live shelves day-in and day-out).  Mass quantities of hardcovers (especially older types), have "a look".  It would be majorly weird (IMO) of a home librarian of any type to group items in size, color, and series; not to imagine the money it would cost to amass all those if you're determined to buy them in series when they've gone out of print, etc.  I should think you'd buy them and shove them in the shelf wherever they go, and there's a minimum variable size of collection that anyone would even bother to collate (most folks with a few dozen-200 books at most, I imagine, just eye-scan the shelf for what they want and don't bother alphabetizing, etc.).

Edited by queenanne
  • Love 4

I love reading and have way too many bookcases, so I'm not snarking on a love of reading.

I don't get a love of reading from Jerm, I get a love of books as possessions

Edited by Totally
Stupidness
  • Love 10

I wonder if Jinger ever stops to think about the near-constant are you pregnant/are you pregnant YET/(implied) why aren't you pregnant and does it hurt her that this is all her mom and/or sisters think to ask her about when she visits.

• Love 9
10 hours ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

I realize that as a pastor Jeremy is going to have a lot of focus on religious/Christian themes, but every time he's pictured with books, and always making sure to include his love for them, it's stuff like this. It doesn't come across so much "I love to read" to me as "I love the Bible and anything connected with it". What of a little light reading? Mr Jyn and I are both big readers, and though he has a gazillion books related this degrees in Math, History, Foreign affairs and Diplomacy, he also has a huge number of those legal/political thriller type books, which he goes through like potato chips. I tend more toward humor, memoir/biography, atheist, and a smattering of historical and science fiction. But I re-read much more than he does, so my collection isn't quite as large.

Here's his library. No room for my books....they are relegated to a couple of bookcases in the bedrooms.

What a lovely library you and hubby have. The chairs are perfect to cozy up into. 

Maybe someday Jeremy will be fortunate enough to have one like it.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, LexieLily said:

I wonder if Jinger ever stops to think about the near-constant are you pregnant/are you pregnant YET/(implied) why aren't you pregnant and does it hurt her that this is all her mom and/or sisters think to ask her about when she visits.

Well, she likely did the same thing to Anna and her sisters before she married, so...karma? She can't complain because she was on the other side of that coin very recently, but hopefully, if she is at all bothered by the questions (and I somethings think that at this point no one in the family asks unless the cameras are around), she's learned how invasive those questions are and won't ask them of anyone again. She could also just woman up and admit that she and Jeremy are putting off having children for a while is she really hates the questioning. 

• Love 6

Bin was the first to bring books to the Duggar orbit. He was still continuing his education. He was the first one posed reading. He didn't get as much mocking. 

I don't think it's the one photo of Babe and the books, but what we 'know' of Jeremy as a person that triggered the negative reaction to the photo. 

Cringe is an 'Instagram Husband' I'm almost certain. 

The both love Babe so much, can you imagine them giggling while capturing great images in clever locations of Babe? 

• Love 12

@Jynnan tonnix I LOVE your husband's library. It is a dream of mine to have a house large enough for a reading room; one of my fondest memories as a child was reading books from my mom's very well stocked bookshelf, I read every book at least 3 times! I would love to have at least 3-4 bookshelves in their own space for my own children to enjoy one day.

I might not enjoy the material but I like that Jeremy reads! And Jinger is killing it with the photography, she's good at staging shots. She would have so much fun at her local community college, taking photography courses. It's a good way to improve on her craft, and she could even freelance and bring in her own income with it! It would be so cool if she went professional and became the de facto Duggar wedding and baby photog, she'd be getting a TLC check every 6-9 months haha.

• Love 13
11 hours ago, LexieLily said:

If I were her, I'd think up a great response that let them know I am loving being childless, hanging with my husband alone, etc.

• Love 5
28 minutes ago, DangerousMinds said:

iS Jinger really the one staging the shots though?

Not entirely, but being a Duggar, her sensibilities are so corny that she likely thinks those pictures are great and unironically posts them to show off what an intellectual her husband is. Jeremy knows better but he's playing to a certain audience. 

ETA: I do think Jeremy enjoys reading, but his pictures make him look like  poseur. 

Edited by lascuba
  • Love 8

We are actually having  book sale tomorrow over at my daughter's place...Had all the books in a couple of yard sales already, but there are just so many that they are probably too intimidating to try to leaf through on the fly, so we thought a dedicated book sale might help get rid of a few more. After that, they'll get donated or etc. I have no idea how many there even are...probably between our stuff and my daughter's (and she just got her master's degree in library sciences, so you KNOW she loves books!) there are a good 400 books. Boxes and boxes. Most of Mr Jyn's paperbacks live in boxes anyway because he buys them by the dozens from a used book store here in the area and there's no room for all those in his library, plus he never re-reads anything. Hopefully we get rid of enough of them that I can at least fit the remainder in my trunk and just make ONE trip to wherever they finally end up. 

• Love 5