Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E07: It Sounded Nicer in My Head

• Start Topic

Somehow, Nicky being back makes things so much better when it comes to Piper. Everyone else encourages or snaps at Piper, which makes her retaliate. Nicky, in the meantime, brings her down from her high horse to acknowledge the bigger picture.

So...damn, Healy really got through to Lolly and their conversation in the 'time machine' was a very sweet moment. This is the first time I felt like Healy wasn't doing it solely for himself. He actually thought of Lolly! So congratulations, show. You haven't fully redeemed him for me, but you made me like him for the first time.

So, Piper finally figures out how wrong she is and tries to make amends. But it's too little too late. She got everything that came to her, really. I thought she was just going to get framed for drugs, but her actually getting branded? Damn. 

• Love 10

That branding scene was slight shades of Oz.    But JK Simmons did a way better job at portraying a villain than anyone on this show.   Seriously,  if he showed up as a prison guard or warden for a role, well, that's when you'd know Litchfield is about to get real.  But anyway, I thought they'd brand her with a Dominican Republic symbol or something.   I did think it was more realistic that Piper had some payback for her actions.  She'd spent three seasons talking and bribing her way out of everything.   

• Love 5
(edited)

I don't exactly love Lolly, but I like her better than most of the other prisoners (I kind of like Judy, too, largely due to Blair Brown's performance; she's great in the role. The other prisoners, I either tolerate or hate; most of them have annoyed me at some point or another, and I pretty much hated everyone in Season 3.)

Speaking of hated characters -- I'm one that actually enjoys Healy; and I, too, liked his scene with Lolly in the "time machine."

I also enjoyed Lolly's flashbacks (the younger Lolly looked and sounded a LOT like Lori Petty; good casting there). It was random, but kind of fun, to see that her story took place in "Seattle" (was that really Seattle?). How did she end up in a New York prison?

Fun fact: "Randal" at the group home (? or whatever that place that flashback-Lolly ran away from was supposed to be) -- the guy that spoke in the third person and said that he "got violent" -- was played by Rob Sedgwick, brother of actress Kyra Sedgwick. I've seen him in a few others things but probably wouldn't have recognized him if I hadn't noticed his name in the opening credits. 

Edited by kickedinthehead
  • Love 2
22 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

Somehow, Nicky being back makes things so much better when it comes to Piper. Everyone else encourages or snaps at Piper, which makes her retaliate. Nicky, in the meantime, brings her down from her high horse to acknowledge the bigger picture.

I totally agree. In some ways I see Nicky as the Anti-Piper or Bizarro World Piper. They both grew up as WASPy rich girls with emotionally distant mothers and then turned to something destructive to feel more adventurous. They're even drawn to the same women romantically. Yet they have very different, almost diametrically opposed, outlooks on life. Piper is self-centred and entitled, while Nicky is humble and fiercely loyal to the family she has created for herself. It's so great watching them interact. Aside from that, seeing Nicky back shows that she really does fill a unique role on the show. If we ever get Sophia back, our little family will feel complete!

Seeing younger Lolly happily pushing her cart of coffee and being so caring and friendly to the outcasts and "weirdos" in her neighborhood almost broke my heart. She is clearly a very loving woman, and schizophrenia seems like one hell of a disease. Once again I was pleasantly surprised by Healy's handling of her situation.

I'm glad Caputo is finally starting to see Linda's true colors. It's going to be a disaster when he tries to implement these new "classes".

I'm still not happy with the Judy King storyline, especially as she is becoming more and more isolated from the other prisoners, but I loved that Yoga Jones got herself a seltzer dispenser. It was such a sweet and harmless abuse of her new power.

• Love 15

I really loved the Lolly storyline. I feel like the show hasn't really shown us the people who are in prison when they should really be in a psychiatric setting, but there are way too many men and women like Lolly who are imprisoned for being mentally ill. I'm glad the show finally has a character to "represent" that population. It also made me feel sympathetic to Healy for the first time. I wanted to hug him during that time machine conversation.

I was all for Piper getting her ass beaten for her actions, but I had to look away during that branding. That was horrifying.

• Love 11

Piper's branding was hard to take, although not as bad as what I thought was going to happen (i.e. using the stove to burn half her face off), but Piper almost went out of her way to earn it. She's treated everyone like shit this season and made the same mistake that Beecher in Season Two of Oz and Paul Castellano IRL made: thinking they could do whatever they wanted because they had the upper hand. People can only be pushed so far, and payback in these situations is seldom pretty.

Now the big question becomes what Piper will do as payback: does she amend her ways, or does she say "Fuck it" and go full Nazi?

On ‎2016‎-‎06‎-‎18 at 3:48 PM, kickedinthehead said:

also enjoyed Lolly's flashbacks (the younger Lolly looked and sounded a LOT like Lori Petty; good casting there).

I thought it was her with some Pee-Wee Herman style CGI and a wig. 

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Kel Varnsen said:

I thought it was her with some Pee-Wee Herman style CGI and a wig. 

So did I. And I couldn't work out in the later scenes when she was homeless why hair and make-up gave her such crappy wigs for older Lolly, when they'd made her look so great in the earlier flashbacks. 

Does anyone know who played younger Lolly? She was so cute! She reminded me of Ben's daughter on LOST. Or was it really CGI Lori Petty?

I am not a fan of Lori Petty I think  going back to when her sister let her win the All American Girls Professional Baseball championship just bc she was such a baby but I have found her performance to be very great--a standout so far in this season.

• Love 3
45 minutes ago, Kbilly said:

Does anyone know who played younger Lolly? She was so cute! She reminded me of Ben's daughter on LOST. Or was it really CGI Lori Petty?

Christina Brucato is listed as playing young Lolly.

• Love 3
20 minutes ago, Sakura12 said:

That's her!  Good job!  I looked but IMDB's "search" feature isn't very good at searching and apparently neither is mine!!  LOL!

Wow.Piper sort of deserved it, but wow, 

So glad Nicky's back! And Red already knows she's using again. I guess she'll help her. I mean, Red  doesn't give lots of chances when it comes to drugs, but hopefully she'll understand that she can't give up on Nicky yet. 

On 6/17/2016 at 8:38 PM, Lady Calypso said:

So...damn, Healy really got through to Lolly and their conversation in the 'time machine' was a very sweet moment. This is the first time I felt like Healy wasn't doing it solely for himself. He actually thought of Lolly! So congratulations, show. You haven't fully redeemed him for me, but you made me like him for the first time.

Yeah. He played it just right with her. It's nice that someone actually gives a damn about her. I think her story is sad and interesting, which surprises me because I didn't like her character last season. I have a friend who is that level of paranoid. My last conversation with her over a year ago was a discussion about the FBI following her, bugging her phone, etc. She's a brilliant, kind, wonderful person and she has fallen apart and there's not a damn thing to be done about it. I've known her for years; she was always very capable and we had no clue that this was lurking out there. But when it hit, damn, it hit big. So Lolly's story is ringing true on all levels for me.

On 6/19/2016 at 2:19 PM, nosleepforme said:

I had high hopes for the Judy King storyline, but having her so isolated from the rest of the prisoners doesn't add up to too much interesting stuff, even though it's poignant with the the advantages that celebrities generally have if caught up in a legal situations.

In one of the earlier threads someone compared her to a Martha Stewart/Paula Deen mix, and I thought that was on point. I didn't follow Martha's time in prison, and since I didn't really much care for Paula Deen, I pretty much ignored the kerfuffle over her questionable comments, so I didn't have much in the way of expectations about the storyline. My main takeaway from it is that MCC is running the prison on a shoestring budget, resulting in overcrowding, gang formation and all sorts of bad shit, yet they're able to squirrel the celebrity away and spring for such luxuries as a seltzer maker for the room. The inmates will surely find out about that and it will not sit well. I also wonder how they'll respond when yoga lady (I never remember her name) goes back into general population after living a relatively cushy lifestyle in an increasingly crappy prison setting.

On 6/17/2016 at 8:38 PM, Lady Calypso said:

Nicky is the voice of reason to Piper and she handled it really well. She got her digs in and, I think, made Piper start to question her choices of late. What happened to Piper is brutal, and I would never say she "deserved" it, but in all practicality, she had to expect something - it is prison, ffs. When she had said an episode or two earlier that she set Maria up because she had to "take care of her people" I knew that was a bullshit excuse and it was exposed as such right off the bat when she told her bunk mate that she couldn't help her but she was rooting for her. I'm curious to see what Piper's like the next few episodes.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, Sakura12 said:

I knew it wasn't Lori Petty in the face for young Lolly, but I do wonder if they dubbed Lori Pettys voice into those scenes. If not, that woman is an incredible mimic 

On June 19, 2016 at 2:19 PM, nosleepforme said:

I probably haven't said that before, but I am so happy that Jolene Purdy from Donnie Darko fame has joined the show and is finally getting a role that can showcase her. I hope she will be in plenty more seasons and get more to do.

THATS where I recognize her from. I knew she looked familiar and was far too lazy to IMDb her. 

I said in a different thread that I've always had a soft spot for Piper, and I felt for her when her face fell realizing that no one wanted to invite her to Nicky's party.  I thought they were going to burn her hand at the end, but a nazi symbol isn't much better - just ask Tobias Beecher. 

I've noticed this for a couple episodes, but honestly, if Sophia was never on the show again, I don't think I'd miss her. I was shocked when she went to the Shu last season, but I'm now realizing that I haven't really missed her being gone. For that matter, even though I love Natasha Lyonne, I would've said the same thing about Nicky if she hadn't come last episode.

• Love 2
On June 18, 2016 at 2:48 PM, kickedinthehead said:

I don't exactly love Lolly, but I like her better than most of the other prisoners (I kind of like Judy, too, largely due to Blair Brown's performance; she's great in the role. The other prisoners, I either tolerate or hate; most of them have annoyed me at some point or another, and I pretty much hated everyone in Season 3.)

Speaking of hated characters -- I'm one that actually enjoys Healy; and I, too, liked his scene with Lolly in the "time machine."

I also enjoyed Lolly's flashbacks (the younger Lolly looked and sounded a LOT like Lori Petty; good casting there). It was random, but kind of fun, to see that her story took place in "Seattle" (was that really Seattle?). How did she end up in a New York prison?

She was transferred at some point. remember she was introduced to us on a plane when they were adding new inmates. Also in that prison conference that Caputo referenced they referenced some inmates being sent as many as 10 states away from home. 

• Love 1
(edited)

Piper is pretty lucky overall. Yeah the swastika sucks but they could have scorched her face or her hand really badly. I was expecting them to do worse. 

Edited by knaankos
  • Love 2
7 hours ago, knaankos said:

Piper is pretty lucky overall. Yeah the swastika sucks but they could have scorched her face or her hand really badly. I was expecting them to do worse. 

See I thought the swastika was worse for two reasons:

1) She's stuck with that shit burned into her until she's out of prison and has the disposable income/excellent health insurance to get a skin graft to cover it.

2) She can't go to medical and claim there was a freak accident like she could with a burned hand or face. If that shit gets infected she's screwed...she can't rat on Maria without being really screwed, and if she doesn't rat, the prison thinks she's joined some sort of skinhead gang and she gets tagged as a gang member, and we all know that Piscatella is obsessed with any potential gang activity. 

• Love 5
23 hours ago, kathe5133 said:

That's her!  Good job!  I looked but IMDB's "search" feature isn't very good at searching and apparently neither is mine!!  LOL!

Oh!  Christina Brucato was in Welcome to the Dollhouse...which was part of Healy's flashback (the movie he went to with his date).

• Love 7
On 6/19/2016 at 2:21 PM, Sparger Springs said:

I was actually squealing out loud with glee when Piper was getting her comeuppance.  I have become aware recently that I am a horrible person.  If Piper dropped dead and we never saw her again, I would be so pleased.

It is literally impossible for me to agree more with this.

• Love 2
On ‎6‎/‎18‎/‎2016 at 10:44 AM, Chairperson Meow said:

That branding scene was slight shades of Oz.    But JK Simmons did a way better job at portraying a villain than anyone on this show.   Seriously,  if he showed up as a prison guard or warden for a role, well, that's when you'd know Litchfield is about to get real.  But anyway, I thought they'd brand her with a Dominican Republic symbol or something.   I did think it was more realistic that Piper had some payback for her actions.  She'd spent three seasons talking and bribing her way out of everything.   

On ‎6‎/‎22‎/‎2016 at 2:36 AM, knaankos said:

Yeah, I couldn't help but think -- aww man, that little Swastika branding is just another day in Wentworth prison.  Try having your hand burned by a clothes press!

But. Although I definitely find Piper smug and annoying and, well, mostly useless nowadays, I don't actively hate her. And still felt for her in that branding scene.  I think Taylor S. did a great job in that scene.  As did Lori P in her role as schizophrenic Lolly.  Well done ladies!

• Love 8
On 6/19/2016 at 9:07 PM, Sir RaiderDuck OMS said:

Piper's branding was hard to take, although not as bad as what I thought was going to happen (i.e. using the stove to burn half her face off), but Piper almost went out of her way to earn it. She's treated everyone like shit this season and made the same mistake that Beecher in Season Two of Oz and Paul Castellano IRL made: thinking they could do whatever they wanted because they had the upper hand. People can only be pushed so far, and payback in these situations is seldom pretty.

Now the big question becomes what Piper will do as payback: does she amend her ways, or does she say "Fuck it" and go full Nazi?

I'd kinda rather see Beecher or Christopher Meloni at this point than Piper.  Or hell, get the guy who played Beecher to play the new counselor.  I would die laughing if they did and had him call Piper on her shit saying to stay out of people's business or something or just seeing the branding. 

• Love 2
(edited)
On 6/22/2016 at 9:48 AM, questionfear said:

2) She can't go to medical and claim there was a freak accident like she could with a burned hand or face. If that shit gets infected she's screwed...she can't rat on Maria without being really screwed, and if she doesn't rat, the prison thinks she's joined some sort of skinhead gang and she gets tagged as a gang member, and we all know that Piscatella is obsessed with any potential gang activity. 

I don't think a person in power like Piscatella sees "gang activity" when the members are white.

You see this in the news all time time - if people of colour are involved in a conflict cops or reporters label it gang activity.  Not so if the perpetrators are white.

However, I will agree that getting a swastika burned into your arm is terrible.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 4
On ‎2016‎-‎06‎-‎21 at 11:23 PM, Princess Sparkle said:

I knew it wasn't Lori Petty in the face for young Lolly, but I do wonder if they dubbed Lori Pettys voice into those scenes. If not, that woman is an incredible mimic 

I said in a different thread that I've always had a soft spot for Piper, and I felt for her when her face fell realizing that no one wanted to invite her to Nicky's party.  I thought they were going to burn her hand at the end, but a nazi symbol isn't much better - just ask Tobias Beecher. 

At least Beechers swastika was tattooed onto his ass, which would mean it was relatively hidden, at least compared to if it was on his forearm.

And speaking of young Lolly, if she had dark hair when she was younger, how is current Lolly maintaining the super short super blonde hair, without her original hair colour showing?

I thought Lolly's hair went gray, so the current color is natural. We don't know how long she's been incarcerated.

Being branded with a swastika is terrible, but it's totally avoidable if you don't start a white supremacist group in an attempt to exploit the local racism for your own profit. I think Piper really bright this on herself.

• Love 4

Wow, the younger actress really nailed Lolly because I didn't realize it wasn't actually her at the time! After some time, I've noticed that the voice is different despite the same gesticulation.

As for Piper, it was hard to watch and I feel bad for saying this, but I'm glad she got what she deserved (consequences for her actions, not literally being burned).

• Love 2
(edited)

I love Caputo, he is around my age and I think he would make a great boyfriend. ;) I am leery that Linda is going to screw him over with the company.

I can't help but like Healey and I really liked his scene with Lolly sitting in the box. I wonder if he is back with his wife after she left the Olive Garden for him, but I liked him with Red.

The branding was hard to watch but I would rather have Piper branded instead of framed for drugs and getting years more on her sentence.

I don't follow the actors from this show but I am assuming the actress who plays Boo lost weight so they had to come up for a reason for it.

Edited by Armchair Critic
8 hours ago, Armchair Critic said:

I don't follow the actors from this show but I am assuming the actress who plays Boo lost weight so they had to come up for a reason for it.

I actually got distracted in the first episode of the season, because it's supposed to take place directly after the final episode of season 3, and yet Big Boo and Luscheck both lost a TON of weight in between seasons.

• Love 2

I was wondering where Maria was for most of the episode, as she had quite a big story last episode with time being added to her sentence, but it was nice to see her at the end in her pivotal role during the swastika burning.

I liked Piper's bunkmate's (can the show just give us her name, already?) move, though Piper was pretty stupid I think for gleefully agreeing to talk privately to her outside of the common room.

It was nice to see Nicky back, though I wished we had seen her interact with Alex!

I'm a little surprised that Pennsatucky has been given very little to do this season, though not surprised that Watson (former track star) seems to have been almost entirely shelved.

I loved the cameo by Bell as a crossing guard? I have missed her.

I'm glad to see that someone on the show finally acknowledges that cell phones need to be charged. I wonder if Alison will interact with Blanca at some point, as the latter had a cell phone of her own in season 1.

I can't risk seeing any spoilers, but I need to express this: Christina Brucato was so freaking good as a young version of Lolly. I spent her first scene trying to figure out if they just put a wig and make-up on Lori Petty, and then I spent the subsequent scenes trying to figure out if they dubbed over Lori Petty's voice somehow. By the end I concluded, no Christina Brucato just really smashed it. Her mannerisms, the way she talked, everything, was so spot on. It makes you wonder about the choice with Maria's flashbacks where they had her playing a girl in Catholic school, which really didn't help me buy into that flashback. As far as flashbacks on this show go, Lolly's was the most believable one -- both because of the actress and the story itself. It's hard-breaking to see and I definitely had to take a moment to look at myself as the well-off person who comes into a newly gentrified area and is bothered by the people I see around that clearly suffer from mental illness. Having that story set in Seattle felt exactly right, and seeing how she was just dumped into prison when she needed help and wasn't actually dangerous is sad.

I don't want to talk about the rest of the episode -- that final scene was the bleakest this show has had and I really wasn't prepared for it -- but Lolly's story was great. (Although I'm still wondering when someone will notice a guard disappeared because, you know, Lolly helped murder him.)

• Love 5

Lolly/Lori Petty is absolutely breaking my heart this season and the younger actress playing the younger version of her was so spot on it was eerie.  Watching this with someone who spent some time on the street and did once end up getting scooped up on something similarly ridiculous, his take was that this is one off the most accurate depictions he's ever seen of just how vulnerable someone in Lolly's position really is when she was just trying to make it through.   The time machine scenes with Healy were really nicely done and reminded me that as much as I often find him patronizingly loathsome, he has his moments too where he really is trying to do something good even if he consistently falls short.  Short of suddenly winning the lottery to be able to afford top-notch services and care, Lolly was probably sadly right in that there wasn't one moment she could go back to where it all went wrong just like there isn't one moment she can look forward to in the future when it's finally going to be better.

I didn't know how much I'd missed Nicky until she was back on my screen and reminding just how many characters she's tied to.  She simply has the best reactions to everything, like Piper's new white power friends.  "Oh, you're a Nazi, now?"  She's also the character who can best call out Morello for being as delusional as she is with her whole happily ever after prison wedding thing and her reunion with Red was simply everything.

As much I've wanted to see Piper get a proper smack down for her absurd "gansta with an A" nonsense and setting off the targeting of the Latinas, that branding was very hard to watch.  Things are also going to be seriously awkward back at the bunk going forward.

• Love 1

I thought the branding was kind of dumb actually. Piper could obviously say who did it. Or, she could just brand over it. She's dumb too though. It was so clear she was being set up.

On 6/18/2016 at 8:44 AM, Chairperson Meow said:

I did think it was more realistic that Piper had some payback for her actions.

I mean, yeah, but it's just burned skin in the end. I thought they were going to put her face in the stove or chop off a finger. So, Ruiz is still potentially getting 3-5 years added on and Piper still have 5 months and a brand. It seems like a longer con would have been more effective. She can still cover it up. 

On July 4, 2016 at 7:29 AM, Falafel said:

(Although I'm still wondering when someone will notice a guard disappeared because, you know, Lolly helped murder him.)

The killing of the fake guard also happened on the same day that Litchfield saw a whole bunch of guards quit en masse.  I figured that Litchfield simply assumed that the guard who was killed was one of those who walked out and haven't bothered following up.

• Love 2

I tried to feel bad for Piper, I really did.  I knew she was being set up, and to be ganged on like that is pretty terrifying.  But man she had it coming.

The younger actress who played Lolly was so damn good, at first I was saying how were they able to make Lori Petty look like she's thirty?

My opinion on Judy King so far is that I wish she wasn't added to the show.  I get the whole Martha Stewart/Paula Dean in prison thing, but this show is so overstocked with characters that all the screen time she's getting is at the expense of others who have practically disappeared.  Pennsatucky gets nothing to do.  Suzanne has been relegated to comic relief.  Alex is back to just blending into the background again after she had some intrigue going on with Lolly and the murdered guard/assassin at the start of the season.  I think the writers just don't know what to do with her.  On her own she isn't a very interesting character and not as fun to write for as Cindy/Taystee/Lorna/Red/Suzanne/etc.  Dayanara isn't around hardly, but she's pretty much a bore so that's okay.  Interesting that her mom is the one getting more screen time this season.

• Love 1
On 6/22/2016 at 3:01 AM, Kbilly said:

I am not a fan of Lori Petty I think  going back to when her sister let her win the All American Girls Professional Baseball championship just bc she was such a baby but I have found her performance to be very great--a standout so far in this season.

She reminded me of Alex from LOST too! I wondered if it was her playing her.. that is after I wondered if it was actually Lori Petty because they looked and sounded so alike!

The end scene with Piper was rough but she would have to be stupid to think she wasn't being set up.. how did she not realise?