Type keyword(s) to search

S22.E08: Week 8

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, MsJamieDornan said:

Jodie deserved so much more than Keo.  There are so many things he needs to learn as a pro. Better choreography, dance down to his partner, stop mugging for the camera AND that's is not all about him

I think Jodie finished about where they wanted her to regardless of her partner.  She starts filming for her show this week.  Mark may not win but he normally goes to the finals when he has a dance-accomplished celeb.  They like to keep him around as long as possible.  TPTB were always going to give Ginger breaks if she performed reasonably well.  And, with GMA behind her, she was going pretty far in the competition.  They probably thought the football players would round out the rest of the finals, until they saw Nyle and Wanya in week 1.  So they probably had her pegged for 7th place.  But Witney did such a poor job with Von that Jodie beat him out.  It seems like Witney just didn't know what to choreograph for a big man.

• Love 3

Oh, good. We've gotten to the point in the season where everything is 10s with a few 9s thrown in.

Carrie Ann: "In 22 seasons, I've never seen anything that touched me so profoundly." Oh, Carrie Ann, don't worry. You'll see something even MORE profound next week that will make you cry again, just like during Noah's season where every single dance every single week was AMAZING and INCREDIBLE and MOVING and INSPIRATIONAL and required an entire box of kleenex for Carrie Ann during judging. I don't have a heart that's made of a tiny piece of coal. I'm a big crybaby who has cried over cheesy commercials. No matter how many times I see the S2 BtVS finale, I cry for like the last ten minutes EVERY time. But none of Nyle's dances have made me cry, and definitely not this one.

Having a section without any music doesn't seem innovative or earth shattering. I've seen dances where there was absolutely no music and the only sound was the dancers breathing together. As for Nyle saying that the troupe dancers aren't used to dancing without music, ehhhh. Maybe that's what they told him but there are lots of times when dancers rehearse without music and just count in their heads. I'm really not a heartless bitch. I just don't think that this was as big a deal as the judges and Erin were trying to make it out to be. I will say that his confidence makes dances like this a better fit for him. And the paso doble was a good fit for his stompy (not so smooth) feet. It wasn't a terrible performance or anything, but two 10s?

Antonio's Vietnamese waltz was okay, but nothing to write home about. It wasn't terrible and it wasn't mindblowing. It was just okay. Ha, that whole "I'm showing up to practice half an hour early" business was obviously his way of trying to seem like he's being really serious.

Gawd, Keo is so defensive and full of excuses. You had a leg cramp and now you feel crappy because people are saying that you're holding back your partner? BOO HOO. She is a very good dancer (I think she's one of the three best dancers this season) but she is consistently scored lower. I think the jive wasn't her best dance, but it would have looked better if she had worn different shoes. Those flat tennis shoes made her footwork look sloppier than it actually was. If she had worn even tiny kitten heels, her feet wouldn't have look as clunky. I agree that this was another joyful dance and I like Jodie, but a perfect score?  It's obvious that the costume people don't know how to dress someone with large breasts because in rehearsal, her body looks great but in costumes like this she looks bigger because the costumes are not flattering on her. No amount of rhinestones can hide the fact that the shape of that costume didn't make her look good, which annoys me because she doesn't have a huge body.

All I could think during Paige and Mark's intro package was how much time they must have wasted filming the extra footage of them in monster onesies, wearing GoT wigs, and reenacting Romeo & Juliet. Paige is the best dancer this season, but her arms really bothered me during this Viennese waltz. Mark went a little too contemporary in the choreography for my taste. I don't need the angsty reaching, the herky jerky walking, or Paige lying on Mark as a bent over table.

Val and Ginger's Argentine tango was better than I thought it would be, but I loathed the actual staging and camera work. Let's put her in all black, turn off all the lights, and then shoot her from the waist up, from the ceiling, or from outside the spotlights so you can't see her legs and feet all the time. I noticed that Carrie Ann was writing a lot of stuff with a sharpie in her book while Bruno was going on and on. Why can't each of them have a sharpie and a piece of paper for their scores so we can avoid any more of those scoring mishaps?

I was expecting Wanya and Lindsay's jive to start with Cartman singing, "wicky wicky wicky wild wild west." Poor Wanya. Slipping, losing your balance, and almost biting it is so scary, even in rehearsal. It's such a loss of control. And it can be hard to catch up when you're in that "oh shit!" mode. And since his back was to Lindsay, he couldn't get any visual cues from her so he just had to flail around on his own until he got back on track.

I hate when they do this live voting crap because it means that 2/3 of the country doesn't get to vote.

Man, Bruno is crazy during judging and it's kind of annoying then, but I can see that it works better in a rehearsal setting. I was so worried for Jodie during the beginning of the routine because I thought she might stand out (in a bad way) while surrounded by three female pros. Even in silhouette, I could tell which one she was by her feet. I liked the way that Bruno structured the dance so that it started with all the dancers (although I would have been happy to just do without the two extra couples completely), then we got the two pro/celeb pairs, and then just the celebs. Loved that Nyle said dancingwith Keo was the same as dancing with a girl except that Keo was taller.

Hee, I remember I had a foot/sock tan like Len's once when I was in high school. His dance was fun but a little messy. Between the two celebs, I thought Wanya did a better job than Ginger did. Heh, loved Wanya's glittery ab shirt because. Mr. EB and I always joke about getting a six pack spray painted onto our abs.

My first complaint about Carrie Ann's dance is that I hate nude colored costumes. I also disliked the production. Seriously, Carrie Ann, you don't need to use all the special stuff possible. A dance that has fog, powder, AND water? Talk about going overboard. I also felt like there was too much posing and contemporary but not enough paso.

Of the bottom three, I would have been rid of Antonio in a heartbeat if I could have kept both Wanya and Jodie. So sad that Jodie left. She was definitely one of the better dancers left and she had one of the best attitudes of everyone left, as evidenced by how positive she was after being eliminated.

• Love 6

I'd say something about Ginger's dance except Val had it lit so poorly that I really couldn't tell you a thing about it. I get that Ginger can't bring the nasty, but to basically dance in the dark while wearing black is maybe the saddest attempt to cover for a celebrity this season. If there was footwork, I couldn't tell you.

After Wanya slipped and the bandana was just there ready to trip him again it would have been nice if one of those four useless troupe members had bent over and picked it up. Even after he got back on track his dancing was so careful like he was afraid of sliding on the bandana again. 

I'm worried about Paide with a double elimination coming. Her dance was lovely but I don't know if it was enough. I just want to see her freestyle. 

Antonio is getting better but he's a few weeks behind everyone else. I'm more than ready for him to go but that Steelers nation stuff makes me think he's sticking around. 

Jodie was so good but I feel like there was too much set/design/acting in that number. Her jive was great, even in those shoes, so I wish Keo hadn't added unnecessary stuff. He's quite the delicate flower, isn't he? 

Nyle's was a mess and while I get what they were going for, the silent section was so sloppy I don't think it added much. Peta straight up told him to tuck his butt in and he still didn't get it. It was so sloppy and good dancers should be able to count. I didn't see it as something revolutionary at all. People have danced to sections of silence before. 

• Love 5

I'm sad to see Jodie go. I've been wanting her to win since the beginning. I do feel like the judges have been inconsitent in their scores with her. There have been times when not judge made a critique about the dance and would give her an 8, and other times when they've commented on something and given her a 9.  I do feel if she had had val for a partner she would have gone further in the competition- because val knows how to choreograph and teach, whereas Keo hasn't had that much experience with it (he's usually been out by the second elimination so he hasn't been required to give perfect score dances - nor has he had a partner that could have actually accomplished them. ) I can't help but compare Jodie to Candace - Candace placed third and I don't feel like she was anywhere near the dancer the Jodie is, plus Jodie had no hesitance with dressing or dancing a little sexy like Candace is. So I had had high hopes that Jodie would place 1st or 2nd.

I think a 9 for wanya was way too high. I feel like he usually looks awkward and clunky when he dances. 

I thought the judges dances were nice. I really liked Bruno's. Len's seemed clunky aat times 

I think Jodie left like a pro - she didn't pout or seem angry (like Kim did last week) even though the she should have gone further. I think in a way she might have seemed relieved cos if she's starting filming fuller house this week she probably wouldn't have as much time to practice (I don't know how often they practice a day or what her filming schedule would be like).

• Love 6

I am actually surprised Jodie lasted this long.  Of the girls from Full House, Stephanie was not the more popular character, so I don't think she had the fan support that Candace did.  Let's face it, Jodie's unsavory past probably worked against her even though she has seemingly gotten things together.

7 hours ago, Lilac2000 said:

Maybe they want Ginger to sub for Erin next year during the World Series and they want viewers to be really familiar with her and that's why she's kind of getting pimped? I actually don't mind her at all.

Why would DWTS need a meteorologist?  Or is Ginger really a meteorologist or just a weather girl?

I don't dislike Ginger, but this show is really trying to make me.

I do dislike Ginger and she gets more annoying each week. I wanted her to be the "most shocking elimination ever" but

ABC will have her in the finals. Why will I not be surprised?

• Love 5

Stiff Ginger reminds me of Maria Menunous, who was basically a pretty mannequin that Derek dragged around and got 30s from the judges. I think she has been handed her free ticket into the finals. Yikes, those groups dances were embarrassing. What was the purpose of those hot messes? No way were the judges going to give each other less than 10s. 

Is Wanya injured or something? He was uncharacteristically bad last night.

• Love 1

All the dances were completely underwhelming this week, save for Bruno's team dance, which I thought was interesting and well-choreographed. I expected more from both Len and Carrie Ann, and thought it was really odd/narcissistic that Len inserted himself into the dance. 

I was rooting for Jodie, but could tell from week one that she wasn't going to make it to the finals. I think she has the dancing chops and could have shined with another partner, but Keo wasn't a great fit for her. His choreography is just so boring and uninspired. Their jive deserved nines at best - not because Jodie didn't do a great job, because she pretty much nailed the whole routine. But when you compare that jive to Mark and Paige's jive last week? I think having the whole troupe dancing with Jodie was also a mistake. 

Ginger seems to be filling the token pretty brunette role quite nicely. They probably didn't expect her to do quite so well. We haven't heard much about her baby in a few weeks, I wonder if she's still breaking out the breast pump every couple of hours. As a fellow working mom, it'd actually be nice if they addressed that more because it's a real issue for us to find time to do that, but I'm sadly guessing that she wasn't able to keep it up with the other demands of her schedule.

They might as well get it over with and give the win to Nyle now, since it's obvious this is the direction they are heading. Since he won ANTM recently, shouldn't he be busy with his modeling contract by now? Seems like he has a lot more free time than the other dancers. 

(edited)
1 hour ago, stillbored said:

I do feel if she had had val for a partner she would have gone further in the competition-

Zendaya was the celeb who brought Val out and I still think she should've won. Then he had Elizabeth and Danica?  They were both thought to be one of the better dancers during their seasons.  They ended in 6th place during their season.   His previous celebs before Zendaya did worse.  So it really depends on what kind of fanbase you bring with you and how much it grows during the season.  Obviously, "Stephanie Tanner" didn't have the fanbase of "DJ".  And the judges (TPTB) weren't invested in getting her to finals because I think she was underscored (comparing to the others) a lot.

Edited by movement
clarifying partners
  • Love 3
(edited)

I have been one of Keo's critics in the past, but his partnership with Jodi was great. I think his choreography for that jive was delightful, and I'll miss Jodi in the competition. I think to some degree, the established pros benefit by having established fan bases that will carry them over on "bad" weeks. Keo is still new enough that he really hadn't had much time to show his potential in his prior seasons. I note that the judges were especially complementary to him this week, and I think that's because they'd like to keep him around.

As far as the rest, I'm a fan of Val but I'm not warming up to Ginger. She's fine, she's dancing well although he's had better partners, but there's just something a little...forced about the way the show is positioning her. And her husband is exhibiting near Alfonso levels of self-promotion and he rubs me the wrong way. I thought he was funny the first episode or two but now he grates, and I admit it may be affecting my feelings about Ginger. Not fair, I know but I can't help it. 

I love Nyle, but I didn't love the Paso - except the silent moment which was cool. It was more the music and choreography that was a little off for me I think. 

Paige is a terrific dancer and I enjoyed her dance. Mark's choreography and staging is always interesting and a little over the top, but it was entertaining.

I think Antonio's VW was his best dance yet. Sharna's my favorite pro and if he keeps being serious, he may have a shot at the finals. He does have a really great smile too.

Wanya had a rough time with that jive. I know Lindsay blamed herself for the bandana, but he had other problems with the dance. He's normally a terrific dancer and I'd like to see him in the finals. 

Honestly, I think this is a strong group of semi-finalists. It will hard to see any of them go home next week.

Edited by MarySNJ
  • Love 2

When Bruno said that it was unique for men to dance with each other on the show, I think he meant that little bit of choreo to demonstrate that they were WITH each other (wink wink) unlike previous examples which have been super presumably-hetero-masculine or played for laughs.  The final spin was supposed to be vulnerable and romantic I think, but the cameras pulled way back so that any romance being telegraphed couldn't be seen.  This is all from my memory, because, these days, I don't like anything on the show well enough to go watch it again.

12 hours ago, WhosThatGirl said:

I think it will be Ginger. The show is pushing her and the network is as well. I think the final three will probably Ginger, Wanya, and Antonio. Which seems incredibly boring to me. But with the double elimination next week, I expect the two people I really like Nyle and Paige to be gone by the end of it. 

I dont see Ginger winning its gonna be either Nyle or Antonio. I think next week we lose Paige and Wanya sadly.    

I thought last night's show was excellent, for the most part.  A lot of great dancing and great choreography.

I was hoping Antonio would go home, though.  I didn't care for his VW much.  There's something 'clunky' at times about him.  It was good enough, but except for a couple of dances, I just don't seem to enjoy watching him dance as much as some of the others.

I thought Ginger did a great job with AT.  I wasn't sure she would, but she pulled it off . . . I think anyway.  Between the dark outfits and dark lighting, I couldn't always see what was going on!  < lol >  I did like the lift where she changed leg positions.  That was well done.

I'm definitely sorry to see Jodie go.  I loved her jive.  She just seemed so into it, so relaxed, so happy.  And I love that she didn't throw Keo under the bus when asked if she thought he was holding her back (or something to that effect).  Unlike Antonio, who seemed to blame Sharna for his problems, she was gracious and supportive of Keo.  And he did deliver probably his best choreography ever with that jive.  It probably wasn't 30-worthy, but I'm glad she got to go out on a high note.  It would have been nice to see what would have happened if they'd switched partners and put her with Artem and Mischa with Keo.

The judges obviously liked Nyle's paso a whole lot more than I did.  The beginning of it was just awkward - sloppy and frantic.  He still has posture issues that Peta doesn't seem to be working on.  The silent section was affecting (but didn't have me anywhere near tears . . .  I know, I'm a heartless bitch < lol > ), but the rest of it seemed kind of a mess to me.  I like Nyle, and it is truly impressive what he can do without being able to hear the music, but he just really does not seem to be improving at all, so I'm kind of over him at this point.  It would not disappoint me overly much if he and Antonio were to leave next week in the double elimination (not that I think there's really any chance either of them will go).

And to digress for a second - why oh why, when they have one of their most competitive seasons ever with all good dancers left, did they decide to pare down the finals to 3 couples this season?  The last several seasons they have had four couples in the finals, so why did they think they needed to pare it down to only 3 this season?  That just seems kind of stupid to me.

Paige's VW was just stunning.  I thought Mark's choreo was outstanding, and the whole dance was terrific.  I know it was a bit more staccato in places than you expect in a VW, but it fit the 'theme' of the dance.  I just loved it.

I like Wanya.  I really do.  And I enjoy watching him dance.  He just always seems like he's having fun, and he's very smooth and graceful.  I felt so bad for him in this dance.  Jive is clearly not as well-suited to him as some other dances, but he was handling it decently, and it was fun.  Then he slipped on that rag, and that whole section was a disaster as he struggled to get back into the dance.  Still, I really enjoyed it.  I want to see him in the finals (and I wouldn't mind seeing Lindsay get her first win), but I have a feeling with his having been in jeopardy the last two weeks, that he might be leaving in the double elimination next week.

I originally misunderstood about the judges' dances.  I thought they were coaching them they way they have at the end.  I forgot they did this once before.  Anyway, I really liked all of these dances.  It was great to see them choreograph, dance a bit and come up with the creative side.  I thought Bruno's was perhaps the weakest.  I have no problem with the same-sex dance couples, but I wasn't wowed by the choreography he came up with for them.  Shirtless Artem is always welcome.  ;0  Len's was by far the most fun of them, and I was amazed at how well Len still moves given his age.  It was so nice to see him enjoying himself like that.  Wanya's "six-pack" was cute.  Overall, this was just plain fun.  I was surprised at how much I liked Carrie Anne's piece.  She so often seems like such a ditz that it was great to see what she could do.  I do have to wonder, though, why she had the first bit of Antonio and Paige's dance together obscured by Sharna and Mark.  Makes me think Antonio had trouble getting Paige into that lift, so she hid them until Paige was up and then revealed them.  Or maybe not.  Maybe it was just a creative choice.  But it did make me go hmmmm. 

It's been a long time since I've enjoyed a season as much as this one.  Not a single contestant that I really didn't like - Mischa's attitude was bad but she wasn't someone I disliked - and none a real stinker on the dance floor.  I was shocked to realize we were at week 8 already.  Seems like the season has flown by.

• Love 3

Is it no longer possible to have just two people dance on a regular dance floor?

I cannot even figure out who the contestants are anymore! The cast of thousands on the floor and all the props annoy me.

• Love 16

I knew Jodie was toast the second she got that perfect score. I saw that coming weeks ago and my only surprise is that she even made it that far and survived the double elimination. I felt bad for Keo. Yes I think he sort of sucks as a Pro but he seems like a genuinely nice guy and it can't be great having the media writing how much people think he sucks.

IMO, that's just further confirmation that the Judges know who's going home.  That scoring/judging reeked of big ol' "thanks for playing" and "hey, no hard feelings Keo, enjoy the troupe locker room".

Buuut, did anyone else catch at the beginning when Erin said they were going to announce whether Nyle and Peta were safe or in jeopardy?  The crowd was still cheering from the opening, and Tom said "and with any luck they can hear us".

Tom, there isn't enough luck in the world for Nyle to hear you, my friend!  (too much?)

Carrie Ann: "In 22 seasons, I've never seen anything that touched me so profoundly." Oh, Carrie Ann, don't worry. You'll see something even MORE profound next week that will make you cry again, just like during Noah's season where every single dance every single week was AMAZING and INCREDIBLE and MOVING and INSPIRATIONAL and required an entire box of kleenex for Carrie Ann during judging.

Heh!  I love when CAI goes full-Abdul.  "I never understood what dance could be until I saw you fox-trot with your crossed-slow-eyes.  Thank you for that"

• Love 2
11 hours ago, SophiaPehawkins said:

I wonder what an Artem and Jodie pairing would have been like. I think he's someone that deserves a decent partner. I gotta say, Mischa ain't it. In my opinion he appears to be a traditional choreographer with a sense for the dramatic, which is what I think Keo lacks. I thought their jive tonight was good, but it still felt low energy even though I couldn't see any visible mistakes. Maybe it was the song.

Artem's choreo is very classic (Len would love him if he had more opportunities lol) he also has some of the most beautiful lines of all male pros (long limbs help lol then again, Keo has similar physique but is nowhere near as elegant and fluid as Artem). Jodie has very pretty lines too, they would really complement each other. Next season I wanna see a long limbed ringer next to Artem lol

11 minutes ago, Alapaki said:

Buuut, did anyone else catch at the beginning when Erin said they were going to announce whether Nyle and Peta were safe or in jeopardy?  The crowd was still cheering from the opening, and Tom said "and with any luck they can hear us".

Tom, there isn't enough luck in the world for Nyle to hear you, my friend!  (too much?)

I think it's great and exactly what Nyle is trying to achieve through this platform. I remember when Nyle was down after that pre-Mask package and someone commented about how it was funny when Peta said that Nyle has been too quiet and she wants her partner back.

For people not to watch their words and speak about Deaf people just as they would about hearing, I guess whatever Nyle is preaching the crew is believing :)

next step - America :)

I'm a fan of Val but I'm not warming up to Ginger. She's fine, she's dancing well although he's had better partners, but there's just something a little...forced about the way the show is positioning her. And her husband is exhibiting near Alfonso levels of self-promotion and he rubs me the wrong way. I thought he was funny the first episode or two but now he grates, and I admit it may be affecting my feelings about Ginger. Not fair, I know but I can't help it. 

Hey it is fair!

Her husband is very annoying, ABC has a plan for her in the finals, and it is all getting old.

• Love 4
(edited)

I'm over Nyle. I think he has a lot of natural dancing ability, but he doesn't seem to have improved much, if at all, from week one. The things he's told he needs to work on (posture, frame, footwork) never seem to get any better, although it doesn't seem to be hurting his scores. He said something last night like, "I know people look up to my skills," and to me that's the problem right there; not that he's a bad dancer, just that he thinks he's better than he is.

I didn't think anything could seem more fake than Carrie Ann's forced crying until I saw Erin's forced crying.

Ginger is too bland for this. Her dancing reminds me of the time I saw some Up With People type group doing Aerosmith songs, grinning away and cluelessly singing about blowjobs.

I liked Jodie's jive and do think it deserved a 30, especially considering some of the other 30s we've seen this season. I'm not a Keo fan, but I don't think he held her back in terms of dancing. He doesn't seem to have the fan base that some of the other pros do, though, and so in that respect, it probably did hurt her a little being paired with him.

48 minutes ago, Alapaki said:

Heh, yeah, I felt bad for Tom. You could hear the catch in his voice as soon as the words were out of his mouth. I was thinking he might come back after the break and make a self-deprecating remark, but wisely he let it go.

I missed the judge's dances last night and just watched them now online. LOL at the giant Len head during his team's samba.

Edited by fishcakes
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, LadyMustang65 said:

I thought last night's show was excellent, for the most part.  A lot of great dancing and great choreography.

I was hoping Antonio would go home, though.  I didn't care for his VW much.  There's something 'clunky' at times about him.  It was good enough, but except for a couple of dances, I just don't seem to enjoy watching him dance as much as some of the others.

I thought Ginger did a great job with AT.  I wasn't sure she would, but she pulled it off . . . I think anyway.  Between the dark outfits and dark lighting, I couldn't always see what was going on!  < lol >  I did like the lift where she changed leg positions.  That was well done.

I'm definitely sorry to see Jodie go.  I loved her jive.  She just seemed so into it, so relaxed, so happy.  And I love that she didn't throw Keo under the bus when asked if she thought he was holding her back (or something to that effect).  Unlike Antonio, who seemed to blame Sharna for his problems, she was gracious and supportive of Keo.  And he did deliver probably his best choreography ever with that jive.  It probably wasn't 30-worthy, but I'm glad she got to go out on a high note.  It would have been nice to see what would have happened if they'd switched partners and put her with Artem and Mischa with Keo.

The judges obviously liked Nyle's paso a whole lot more than I did.  The beginning of it was just awkward - sloppy and frantic.  He still has posture issues that Peta doesn't seem to be working on.  The silent section was affecting (but didn't have me anywhere near tears . . .  I know, I'm a heartless bitch < lol > ), but the rest of it seemed kind of a mess to me.  I like Nyle, and it is truly impressive what he can do without being able to hear the music, but he just really does not seem to be improving at all, so I'm kind of over him at this point.  It would not disappoint me overly much if he and Antonio were to leave next week in the double elimination (not that I think there's really any chance either of them will go).

And to digress for a second - why oh why, when they have one of their most competitive seasons ever with all good dancers left, did they decide to pare down the finals to 3 couples this season?  The last several seasons they have had four couples in the finals, so why did they think they needed to pare it down to only 3 this season?  That just seems kind of stupid to me.

Paige's VW was just stunning.  I thought Mark's choreo was outstanding, and the whole dance was terrific.  I know it was a bit more staccato in places than you expect in a VW, but it fit the 'theme' of the dance.  I just loved it.

I like Wanya.  I really do.  And I enjoy watching him dance.  He just always seems like he's having fun, and he's very smooth and graceful.  I felt so bad for him in this dance.  Jive is clearly not as well-suited to him as some other dances, but he was handling it decently, and it was fun.  Then he slipped on that rag, and that whole section was a disaster as he struggled to get back into the dance.  Still, I really enjoyed it.  I want to see him in the finals (and I wouldn't mind seeing Lindsay get her first win), but I have a feeling with his having been in jeopardy the last two weeks, that he might be leaving in the double elimination next week.

I originally misunderstood about the judges' dances.  I thought they were coaching them they way they have at the end.  I forgot they did this once before.  Anyway, I really liked all of these dances.  It was great to see them choreograph, dance a bit and come up with the creative side.  I thought Bruno's was perhaps the weakest.  I have no problem with the same-sex dance couples, but I wasn't wowed by the choreography he came up with for them.  Shirtless Artem is always welcome.  ;0  Len's was by far the most fun of them, and I was amazed at how well Len still moves given his age.  It was so nice to see him enjoying himself like that.  Wanya's "six-pack" was cute.  Overall, this was just plain fun.  I was surprised at how much I liked Carrie Anne's piece.  She so often seems like such a ditz that it was great to see what she could do.  I do have to wonder, though, why she had the first bit of Antonio and Paige's dance together obscured by Sharna and Mark.  Makes me think Antonio had trouble getting Paige into that lift, so she hid them until Paige was up and then revealed them.  Or maybe not.  Maybe it was just a creative choice.  But it did make me go hmmmm. 

It's been a long time since I've enjoyed a season as much as this one.  Not a single contestant that I really didn't like - Mischa's attitude was bad but she wasn't someone I disliked - and none a real stinker on the dance floor.  I was shocked to realize we were at week 8 already.  Seems like the season has flown by.

Only 3 finalists because no Derek this year. I swear the first time they had 4 was when he finished 4 th with Maria M and that way , besides being in the finals, he got to be on GMA the morning after!  

I have liked Paige from the beginning, but I wish it had been a traditional VW , complete with a beautiful gown and very romantic,

I also like Wanya alot early on, but he either peaked too early or hit a plateau, and have been disappointed lately.

i love AT and just wish I could have SEEN Val's and Ginger's!  The lighting was ridiculous, wonder if it was better in the studio.

i haven't cared for Nyle since Day 1 and fast forward most of his dances ( tho I do appreciate how difficult it must be).  Does that make me a bad person?

• Love 2

Only 3 finalists because no Derek this year. I swear the first time they had 4 was when he finished 4 th with Maria M and that way , besides being in the finals, he got to be on GMA the morning after! 

They had a 3-person finale just two seasons ago when Rumer won and Nastia and Derek were the ones booted in 4th place for that season. And as noted above, the show didn't have a 4-person finale until Season 16, which Derek and Kellie won.

Finally some are beginning to see that Nyle's dancing is really not worth the hype. For the men I look for the frame/shoulders and the feet (that's their usual areas for sound technique) and he has NOT improved. I hadn't fast forwarded his dancing until now. Peta really doesn't improve her male celeb dancer - see Gilles. The Antonio guy exhibited what improved frame and footwork looks like and for me his best dance all season.

Mark should tamp down on the themed, take- risks approach now the season is winding down. Consider who you are with and what will get people running to their phones for you. I liked the dance but can see how it will not 'wow' as much as their Tina Turner last week.

Ginger's dance was fantastic - I don't know what people are watching maybe because if you already think she's annoying?? I don't know. As I said last week she's great with ballroom and things in hold as you can see in this dance. She is also helped that she's with someone who always brings interesting choreography regardless. It was one of Val's better tangos - not too frenetic, slow in parts and of course great choreo. The Latin however........won't be pretty to watch. I couldn't believe it was the same person in the Len number.

Poor Jodie. She finally dances a somewhat memorable routine ( this is the first time Keo has used big production for her) and it is too late. But she goes out on a high. I always hate it when people do their best dance and get voted off.

Wanya - same problem as Nyle. Not much improvement all though with him, his drive and energy is quite high. Focus on technique I say! I hate props so I don't feel too sorry for what happened, though like someone mentioned above someone could have just reached down and kicked off the cloth. All those props including the extra dancers were not needed. He has the energy to match.

• Love 2

Paige's dance was weird. I hope that doesn't cost her the finals. I really didn't think anyone was that great yesterday, except Jodie. Everyone else looked stiff or had weird choreography. And what's with all the attention on the judges yesterday? They need to take a seat and just score people. 

Poor Wanya. I always get nervous when there are props on the floor. It looked like the bandana didn't get in the right place, so when Lindsay reached down to pick it up and toss it, she couldn't reach it. A split second choice between looking awkward to reach it or risk slipping, and it didn't turn out well. But as others have said, there were problems even before that. I think Wanya, at least in this dance, has the opposite problem of what I saw in Von--Von was a tall man taking too small steps, Wanya is a short man taking too big steps. 

Antonio bugs me, and has from day one. I laughed when Erin mocked his smile. It seems so fake and pasted on, and he never lets it slip during the judging and interviews. It doesn't always reach his eyes, though, which is what creeps me out. He's always "on", though in a different way from how others are "on". He does have raw talent. Too bad he didn't take it seriously earlier.

I hated the lighting in Ginger's dance. On re-watch, I only looked at her legs, and she was very good. But due to the weird lighting, it's almost impossible to see both her legs and her face/upper body at the same time. You have to focus on one or the other, which makes for a disjointed dance.

I loved Jodie's jive. I don't think I've seen a rolling-in-the-aisles church themed dance before, and it was fun. I wish she could have stayed another round.

Nyle's dance did seem very frantic at the beginning (a common complaint on Peta's choreo). And I didn't think the men were as in sync in the silent portion as they should have been. I still enjoyed it, and I still think he'll make the finals, but it didn't quite live up to the hype.

As soon as I saw Paige's chalk-white make up, I knew we were in for Mark's biannual leap into over the top theme. His dances can be fabulous or terrible, but they're always interesting. I loved it. It wasn't a smooth, flowy traditional VW, but as a performance it was awesome.

Now for the judges dances. I liked Bruno's the best. Interesting concept well performed. I like how he chooses classical music.

Len's was the most fun. Loved the Easter Island Len head and Wanya's fake abs. Maybe it was just the way it was edited, but he didn't seem quite as involved in the total production as the other two. The only thing I saw him do was ask to be included in the dance itself, and *Lindsay* said they'd added the wiggly finger move for his part they thought he'd enjoy. 

I got what Carrie Ann was going for with the power and athleticism. It didn't quite seem to come together for me somehow, but I can't put my finger on what was off.

• Love 2

The cynic in me says Peta came up with that "silent" gimmick because she knew the Paso wasn't going to be a strong dance for Nyle (although to be fair the music was horrible for a Paso) - and she figured this gimmick would make it hard for the judges to really criticize him. And except for Len it kind of worked. With any other celeb I'd have found the gimmick weird and uncalled for, but it was sort of eye-opening to think "Hey, this is what it's like for him all the time."

I for one absolutely loved Bruno's group number and thought it was the best of the three by far. Loved the Fosse-esque beginning on the chairs (so typical for Bruno), the partner-switching - I thought the whole thing was hot as hell and had a little somethin' somethin' for everyone regardless of their persuasion.

On the other hand I thought Len's number was a hot mess and Wanya was the obvious weak link. He did not come off well dancing side by side with Val and was also outdanced by Ginger. His arms were really lazy and weak and he had low energy. Sticking Len in at the end brought the whole thing to a screeching halt, and how ironic that the judge who's always complaining about too much "messing about" choreographed a number that had a whole lot of it.

Carrie Ann's was OK but a little too over-produced. It just sort of left me cold and wasn't very memorable. Seemed like something Mark would have come up with - overly ambitious. 

Knew Jodie was a goner sooner or later. My prediction for the double elimination next week: Paige and Wanya.

• Love 2
15 hours ago, movement said:

Nyle's rear has stuck out all season.  They don't mention it.  That's when I knew he would be in the finals and maybe even win.  If they want the first physically challenged celeb winner, he's the best they've had.

JR Martinez is already the first physically challenged celeb winner. He was badly injured in Iraq and has lasting handicaps as a result; he is deaf in one ear, and has visible scars.

• Love 1
16 hours ago, truthaboutluv said:

I felt bad for Keo. Yes I think he sort of sucks as a Pro but he seems like a genuinely nice guy and it can't be great having the media writing how much people think he sucks.

Me, too. There have been plenty of times when I, an anonymous Internet commenter, have felt a pro wasn't serving the celeb well (Maks comes to mind), but to have articles written about it is pretty harsh. I think Keo tried his best for Jodie.

And Jodie is one class act. She stuck up for Keo like a really good friend. I wish her all the best with her show. 

• Love 11

I would love to see Nyle and Peta do an entire dance in complete silence. Or, if that's not allowed, maybe with just percussion. If it's just him and Peta, I think it could be a fascinating dance experiment and even more powerful than Nyle dancing with the troupe guys. That said, I did like the section of silence they had. I thought it was really interesting to watch. I want more!

I really liked Bruno's team best. Not only was it sensual (and I loved the music choice), but I feel like it stepped outside the boundaries and nudged the show forward just a little bit more. Perhaps one day they'll even have same-sex star/pro dance couples performing together for the entire season. I'd love to see that. I thought Peta and Jodie were sexy together, and though I wanted more interesting choreography for Nyle and Keo I liked seeing them dance together as well. They all could have done more, but I liked what we were given.

• Love 6
16 hours ago, Adeejay said:

I think it is unfair that for the second week in a row, Wayna was put in jeopardy.  I wonder why they never put Ginger and Paige.  Bye Jodie; should have been Antonio, instead.

They put Paige in jeopardy not too long ago.

I was surprised how awful Nyle's Paso was and disgusted with his 10s for it. The best part that he seemed to have really focused on practicing and nailing was his silent solo part.

Paige once again was low balled from the 10s she earned. So glad she is with Mark--I can't imagine her being with anyone better. Sure, Val would have been hot (like it was with Alan) but Mark's vision each week is thriving with this perfect muse.

Ginger, as unlikeable as I find her, is nothing compared to Bindi. Having her show up in this otherwise great season was like someone pissing in my cereal. My ears, my eyes!

1 hour ago, Woodrose said:

JR Martinez is already the first physically challenged celeb winner. He was badly injured in Iraq and has lasting handicaps as a result; he is deaf in one ear, and has visible scars.

Thanks.  I had forgotten about JR. 

I don't dislike Ginger, but she's just sort of "there." There's nothing especially engaging about her personality. I feel the same about Wanya. In both cases I've never heard of these celebrities before this season started. And in both instances neither has done anything to win me over. Decent/good dancers, most of the time, but nothing particularly compelling about them. Nothing about their personalities I find off-putting, but nothing to warm up to them, either.

I recognize that ABC has a vested interest in propping Ginger, though, and that makes it tougher to root for her no matter how well she dances. 

Paige is the one who's going to get screwed over in all of this (probably) because ABC has no vested interest in promoting her and she came to the show with a much smaller fan base. Yet she's easily the best of the female celebrities for my money.

• Love 4
(edited)
23 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

Paige is the one who's going to get screwed over in all of this (probably) because ABC has no vested interest in promoting her and she came to the show with a much smaller fan base. Yet she's easily the best of the female celebrities for my money.

Do they really have a vested interest in anyone but Ginger though? I don't think Wanya or Nyle works for ABC, either. And unless Antonio is talking to ESPN, I don't see why they would prefer him over Paige, either. If she gets the votes, she should make it to the finals.

I do think they would wet their pants over having a disabled winner though, so more reason to pimp Nyle. I'm still scratching my head over his bad edit a couple of weeks ago.

Edited by boyznkatz
  • Love 1
(edited)
18 minutes ago, boyznkatz said:

Do they really have a vested interest in anyone but Ginger though? I don't think Wanya or Nyle works for ABC, either. And unless Antonio is talking to ESPN, I don't see why they would prefer him over Paige, either. If she gets the votes, she should make it to the finals.

I do think they would wet their pants over having a disabled winner though, so more reason to pimp Nyle. I'm still scratching my head over his bad edit a couple of weeks ago.

Well he is a part (a small one but a part) of abc show Switched at Birth. He had a minor role in the 1st season and after the exposure Tyra gave him, the show brought him back for an arc that lasted 3-4 more episodes.

As for the edit... reality shows love comebacks and improvements. Maybe hey thought he was too "vanilla" and needed to bring him down a bit to later build him back up? Redemption ark.

ANTM did a similar thing with him (as they do all the winners). Eventual winners usually are middle of the pack to begin, they "grow", then they peak, then they do horribly and are almost eliminated few episodes before the finale, but then they "take constructive critique and learn from it" and soar over those others who weren't able to do just that.

Edited by vavera4ka

Her dancing [Ginger's] reminds me of the time I saw some Up With People type group doing Aerosmith songs, grinning away and cluelessly singing about blowjobs.

Yes - she is super awkward vanilla wafer, even when she tries to be super sensual liquid chocolate.  Also I just feel her body is rather stiff in a lot of her movement and she's used to portraying super goody two-shoes and doesn't know how to do anything else.  I don't watch much of the in-between stuff, so I've managed to avoid her husband for the most part and I can see she's being pushed by ABC, but that alone wouldn't make me dislike her dancing.  In fact, I always want to like Val's partners, but it's starting to become a "thing" that I rarely do like them (I'm giving the stink eye to you Janel, Tamar, Elizabeth and now Ginger).  

• Love 3
4 hours ago, skyways said:

Mark should tamp down on the themed, take- risks approach now the season is winding down. Consider who you are with and what will get people running to their phones for you. I liked the dance but can see how it will not 'wow' as much as their Tina Turner last week.

VW is already a less impactful dance than jive, AT, and paso and because of that, Paige/Mark already had a high chance of getting lost in the shuffle and are now at great risk of being eliminated. If they had done a traditional VW, they would gotten lost even further.

Mark at least gave them a fighting chance with his "Stone Cold" concept. Even if some didn't like it or thought it over the top, it gives people a little bit to talk about. And Paige really did execute the dance beautifully. I loved the passion, movement quality, and the way they covered the entire floor.

• Love 4
(edited)

After watching the all access judges table camera, I'm thoroughly convinced the judges are instructed to give Ginger 10's no matter what now.

During their dance, all the judges were shielding their eyes from the blaring stage light and Len even mouthed "I couldn't see" after it finished yet they got all 10's. *gets off my grassy knoll*

Edited by PBGamer89
  • Love 3

People are being way too hard on Keo. I didn't think he was a good match for Jodie at the beginning of the season, but he started to work harder to showcase his partner and seemed to be learning from the judges in the last couple of episodes. Specifically after the switch-up. He improved a lot since the beginning of the season, and that makes me not want to rag on him for the time being. It's not just about the celebrities. The pros can grow as choreographers and as people too. They don't need to perfect out of the gate (even if they were in the troupe). It's a nice wish, but the partnerships are never going to be perfect, with all the different ways people learn and the amount of experience each person has. I wanted Jodie to win, but everyone starts somewhere.

And the marks they received were not pity marks. Based off of the other couples that got high marks, Jodie and Keo totally deserved it.

• Love 4
(edited)

I really liked the opening number and the song (camera work not so much).  The rest of the show, meh.

Val, on GMA, said he was surprised with the 10's. He said,"I made some mistakes."

Edited by dirtydi
forgot something

I like Wanya but he's not progressing week to week, he's been stuck at the same level the last 3 weeks,. The judges were right in saying slipping on the bandana didn't matter.

Antonio is fine but not memorable, and I hate the color of Sharna's hair? It looks painful.

I wonder what Paige's fan base is like for this show.  I think she's the strongest female but does she have the base?  Mark is no help in that department.

Nyle is deaf, so while hearing folks think it's amazing he can dance, for Nyle it's moving while counting and being aware of his suroundfings.  It's not a weekly miracle Carrie Ann and he does make mistakes.

I like Ginger, I thought the tango was great.  Len's dance was way cheesy though, how do you even compare it to Bruno's?

13 minutes ago, scenicbyway said:

I like Wanya but he's not progressing week to week, he's been stuck at the same level the last 3 weeks,. The judges were right in saying slipping on the bandana didn't matter.

Antonio is fine but not memorable, and I hate the color of Sharna's hair? It looks painful.

I wonder what Paige's fan base is like for this show.  I think she's the strongest female but does she have the base?  Mark is no help in that department.

I beg to differ, Mark is very popular and has added greatly to those voting for Paige.

I do agree about Sharna's hideous hair though.

Thoughts on contestants for week 8.

2b. Wanya & Lindsay – thought Wanya did a nice job at the opening portraying the gun slinging character. The handkerchief slide move was an interesting idea, and thought Lindsay did a nice job continuing and Wanya did a good job recovering despite the hiccup. It was a fun, fast jive with lots of content mixed into the routine. Wasn't too sure about the story line; whether if it was just about two gun duelers making up after a bad couple fight, two Westerners trying to outdance one another. Also wished the troupe members could've gotten more involved in the routine; perhaps have them scurry at the sight of Wanya, track the bullet with their body movement or fill the space at the beginning with an everyday, mundane walking scene of a typical Western set. Nonetheless, enjoyed seeing the rhythm on Wanya's body in the number and hope to see more fun performances from the couple.

2b. Ginger & Val – it was like being transported to an exotic, sleazy nightclub; the suave gentleman meeting up with his night mistress, oozing with a sensual, seductive tease and play. Sharp leg movements, spectacular lifts from which Ginger felt comfortable in, only added to the carnal, passionate interplay. Thought her lunge shaping could've been a bit sharper, extended, freer and that she could've relax a bit when Val was dragging her across the floor; but think this was her best Latin dance so far. Hoping they can continue on this route, as Ginger's body movements and mannerisms are slowly adopting to the respective dance styles. Given how intense and dramatic the music was, it was nice to see Ginger keep her cool and composure as well. They achieved the right mood/intensity with this number and hope Val continues to do what he is doing, as he's producing the desired effect on the floor.

2a. Nyle & Peta – the authoritative kick of the fence was a nice opening to the number to showcase his dominance of the dance. Thought Nyle kept a serious face through the number and that he made a nice effort to maintain the disdainful attitude of an arrogant matador. Think the shaping of his arms and hands needed to be a bit more firm/convincing, and was hoping to see a bit more of the haughty posture in his body as well. Thought his foot placement and weight distribution could've been a bit more sure-footed and confident. In sum, Nyle's final pose, posture and demeanor in the highlight kill at the end was what I was hoping to see more of in his routine. Nonetheless, it was nice to get a peek into the challenges Nyle faces on a weekly basis and hope he continues to improve and to progress through the weeks.

2a. Paige & Mark - thought this was Mark's best creative concept so far. It's nice to see the arch in Paige's back and how she extended her neckline well in hold. Her arm lines involved the extensions of her shoulders this time (not just from her elbow to the wrist) enabling her to caress the musical crest and waves. Thought she also did a great job emoting a believable, emotional story through her facial expression, adding even more to the heart-wrenching, haunting nature. Agree Paige needed to position her head in hold, such that she is looking over the rainbow, and that maybe Mark pushed/gambled a bit with the storytelling; it would've been nice to see even more natural/reverse turns, a fleckerl perhaps. Nonetheless, its nice to see the improvement in Paige's technique (better body position in hold) and performance and hope the couple continues to improve.

Best of luck to all the celebs and looking forward to their dances.

• Love 2

When the music is so horrid as it was throughout the couples dances, the show is just about unwatchable for me.

This was the first time in a very long time I can remember the pimp slot dance being executed so poorly.  Nevermind the bandana slip.  Wanya was barely moving his feet!   I was genuinely shocked that it was so bad.  Was the dress rehearsal version all that?!  I like him best of the males, but dang, if he gets sent home, he'll have earned it.

Anyone else wonder if the audience "9s" were legit?  It would not surprise me to learn that they loaded 39 for each contestant on their score graphics before the jidges' round even began.

(edited)

To Calipiano,

I remember Maksim (off all people!) and Sabrina's Viennese Waltz. This dance can be very impactful in the hands of someone like Ballas if Maksim could achieve it with a traditional approach no less. Also Donald Driver and Peta's operatic Viennese was memorable too and I didn't like the couple at the time. ( although I don't know if I'm unwittingly making your point by not remembering any other great Viennese Waltzes that didn't get lost in the shuffle) .

My point is that it can be done. This is not slow waltze which can be challenging in terms of impact.

Edited by skyways
  • Love 1