Type keyword(s) to search

S22.E08: Week 8

• Start Topic

(edited)

I love the concept of the silent moment in Nyle's dance was pretty genius, but can't me as someone that that thinks that moment would have been better if it was just him, or just him and Peta. I think his deafness is so intimate to him, and his partnership with Peta, that it would have been more profound in terms of his journey. 

Edited by PTVjones
  • Love 9

Sigh. The tears. I like Nyle. I want to like Nyle more. I'm just so tired of everyone literally crying over him. Did that happen on ANTM? Part of me is sad that this show has jaded me so much.

• Love 6
(edited)

Big side eyes to both CAI, and Bruno.

Neither of you saw a single moment of herky jerky awkwardness or frantic-ness during the first thirty seconds or so to make that at least a 9?

Edited by PhD-Purgatory15
Just now, McManda said:

Sigh. The tears. I like Nyle. I want to like Nyle more. I'm just so tired of everyone literally crying over him. Did that happen on ANTM? Part of me is sad that this show has jaded me so much.

Funny you mention that, bc there were times that Nyle was frustrated on ANTM bc people weren't paying attention, or not accommodating enough, to the fact that he is deaf. In terms of the judges hmmm, I can't remember anyone crying over Nyle.

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, PTVjones said:

Funny you mention that, bc there were times that Nyle was frustrated on ANTM bc people weren't paying attention, or not accommodating enough, to the fact that he is deaf. In terms of the judges hmmm, I can't remember anyone crying over Nyle.

Tyra cried when Nyle started crying when he saw his final photo with his mother ( the final four had a photoshoot with their moms) 

• Love 2

I think there's a difference between being accommodating and what they're doing here. I didn't watch ANTM, but someone here related a story of how (I think) one of the photoshoots was done in the dark, where the models had to be prepared because the photo was shot just as the light came on. And there was a bell to let the models know when the light was coming, but because Nyle couldn't hear it someone just shoved the box he was standing on. That doesn't scream accommodating to me and I can understand frustration with things like that.

Here I feel like they're almost overaccommodating to the point of being patronizing. Everything he does is perfect and special and amazing when ... there are still issues. Not to discount Nyle because he has overcome a lot, but they're making his dances about his disability when really they're so much more. It's the sam issue I had with their treatment of Bindi last season. Bindi was more than her dad's death. Nyle is more than his deafness.

Tyra cried when Nyle started crying when he saw his final photo with his mother ( the final four had a photoshoot with their moms) 

I also think that's different because that was his emotion, too. In the case of shutting off the music for part of his dance, he seemed so happy and enthusiastic to be sharing what he experiences with people and Erin and Carrie Ann are crying. Cynical me just thinks it was an odd reaction.

• Love 2

I actually forgot about that photoshoot! I was thinking of a time where the contestants had take a phone of Nyle's that he used where he would type what he would want to say and the phone use an automated voice to say it for him. The contestants took it and used it for selfies.... Not entirely surprising bc they are on a modeling show but I remember thinking "wow, the guys are super vein and Nyle deserves better." 

• Love 1

Erin crying was so fake and ridiculous.  She pretended to be crying minutes after the dance ended, as opposed to Carrie Ann, who was verklempt just as the dance ended, as well as in talking about it.  Plus, she's always verklempt over moments like that.  Carrie Ann = real.  Erin = fake.

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, McManda said:

I think there's a difference between being accommodating and what they're doing here. I didn't watch ANTM, but someone here related a story of how (I think) one of the photoshoots was done in the dark, where the models had to be prepared because the photo was shot just as the light came on. And there was a bell to let the models know when the light was coming, but because Nyle couldn't hear it someone just shoved the box he was standing on. That doesn't scream accommodating to me and I can understand frustration with things like that.

Here I feel like they're almost overaccommodating to the point of being patronizing. Everything he does is perfect and special and amazing when ... there are still issues. Not to discount Nyle because he has overcome a lot, but they're making his dances about his disability when really they're so much more. It's the sam issue I had with their treatment of Bindi last season. Bindi was more than her dad's death. Nyle is more than his deafness.

I also think that's different because that was his emotion, too. In the case of shutting off the music for part of his dance, he seemed so happy and enthusiastic to be sharing what he experiences with people and Erin and Carrie Ann are crying. Cynical me just thinks it was an odd reaction.

Are you just choosing to ignore Len's critiques of Nyle?

IMO they have been a lot looser with their scores with Ginger. Also I love Jodie but no way that was a perfect score dance tonight.

• Love 2
(edited)
7 minutes ago, blaase said:

Are you just choosing to ignore Len's critiques of Nyle?

I'm not. But Len is also only 1/3 of the judging panel. Ginger's scores are a whole different issue, but also one unrelated to everyone crying over Nyle's dances. It bugged me when they cried over everything Bindi did, or everything that Noah did, or everything Amy did. Celebs with what they consider tragic backstories always get more tears than necessary, IMO. My issues lies with the judges (and Erin, apparently), not with Nyle (or Amy or Bindi or Noah).

I agree about Jodie's scores. My theory is Jodie is dunzo tonight, so that's why they're playing fast and loose with her scores. They ultimately won't matter and she goes out on a high note.

Edited by McManda
  • Love 4

The judges being so generous to Jodie and Keo really makes me think she's going home tonight, but I was so happy for her when she got that perfect score. And her calling down to her mom was sweet. She really does have a light about her and her dedication to the competition is  refreshing. You can tell she really wants it and has such a good attitude towards everything. Those articles are right...Keo has held her back a bit but she didn't sell her partner out like Antonio did, instead she thanked him. Going to be sad to see her go if she goes tonight. 

• Love 9

I know it's popular opinion that Keo is not up to snuff on this show, and usually I share that opinion, but that was by far his best choreography and Jodie's best dance, including her dance with Val. They both deserved that 30.

• Love 12
(edited)

I thought Bruno's dance concept was interesting. I liked that he had Jodie and Nyle dance together without Keo and Peta around (was that a requirement of the team dance? I was only half paying attention to the rules). I was also half distracted by a shirtless Artem. That makes a dance for shallow me.

edit: seems like having the celebs dance together was past of the dance becuse Len did it too. Okay then. Bruno's dance is less interesting to me, but he's still got a shirtless Artem, so ...

Edited by McManda
  • Love 2
(edited)

I thought it was awful. Funny but blah dancing wise.

Ginger is really slow and awkward without Val really showed when she was dancing with Wanya. Jodie is way better.

Edited by blaase
  • Love 8
1 minute ago, SophiaPehawkins said:

Shallow moment: Peta's brother is sitting behind Bruno and damn, is he dreamy.

is that who he is?

my eyes keep sliding to him all night and i was wondering who he was lol

1 minute ago, vavera4ka said:

is that who he is?

my eyes keep sliding to him all night and i was wondering who he was lol

Yeah, it's the dreamboat in the glasses. Some damn good genes in that family. I like watching his reactions to Bruno, because Bruno is.....Bruno.

• Love 1

why get them wet? for another dramatic pose becoming a bit more dramatic?

when i saw the water in the preview i thought they'd dance in water...

well... here we go... Keo gets one of the ringers with a great fanbase and she goes early. wouldn't have happened with Val or Artem...

and another double elimination? Antonio is kinda a shoe in for one of the two to go, who is another? I want it to be Ginger but I'm afraid abc is too invested in her. who will be the victim of that?

I think it is unfair that for the second week in a row, Wayna was put in jeopardy.  I wonder why they never put Ginger and Paige.  Bye Jodie; should have been Antonio, instead.

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, blaase said:

Why bother if they will each get the same exact scores lol I thought Bruno's team was the best.

I'm going to agree here. I think it's awkward to criticize each other. They shouldn't even have it scored. Just let it be for fun. I was impressed with Bruno's concept. I think it was fresh and original.

I'm still waiting for Ginger to find her hip action. Wayna carried that solo they did.

• Love 7

I really thought Wanya was gonna go home for a second that was  a real close call. Im proud of Jodie and Keo for making it this far at least she got her first 10 of the season.  A DE next week is scary. Time to vote

• Love 1

I'm disappointed to see Jodie go. I liked her and Keo (and I don't think he was holding her back). If Antonio had gone, I would have been fine. He's not a bad dancer, just not as good as the rest.

Something about Ginger bugs me, though I can't put my finger on it.

• Love 9