Type keyword(s) to search

In Memoriam: Entertainment Industry Celebrity Deaths

Message added by Mr. Sparkle,

Reminder:

This thread is for deaths of celebrities in the entertainment business only. No notices about politicians, please. 

• Start Topic

Going back a few years, ....but Paul Walker was my gut-punch.  

Till now.  

I'm in total shock of George Michael's passing.  I absolutely LOVE this duet:

Edited by J.D.
  • Love 6

I'm crushed. Leia was everything to me when I was a kid. We watched the Star Wars movies on holidays with the family because of how many cousins I had, it was the only the movie we could agree on. The last time I felt like this was when Alan Rickman died. My geeky heart is heavy.

Rest in Peace Carrie Fisher. You were a giant, a role model, and you will be missed. I'll be proudly rocking my Leia buns on May 4th.

• Love 4

This one hit me harder than expected.  I liked Star Wars as a kid, but can't sit through the series anymore (however, the nostalgia is strong when I hear about it).  I think it was the combination of saying goodbye to my parents yesterday (we're a close family and my mom and I are criers), George Michael, everyone else we lost this year and the election.  I actually cried.

I loved her in When Harry Met Sally.  Whenever my husband is talking about how cool something is that I don't particularly like, I almost always think "I just want you to know that I will never want that wagon wheel coffee table."  :)

Robin Williams and John Ritter were still the hardest ones for me. 

• Love 5

Fisher's quote about her dad's relationship with Elizabeth Taylor - "He first dried her eyes with his handkerchief, then he consoled her with flowers, and he ultimately consoled her with his penis. This made marriage to my mother awkward" - popped into my head, and I went looking for other words of wit and wisdom from her.  She's had some great things to say on getting - and looking - older, and society's reaction to that:

Years of living longer makes you look worse.  Who knew?

Please stop debating about whether or not I aged well.  Unfortunately, it hurts all three of my feelings. My BODY hasn't aged as well as I have. Blow us … My body is a brain bag, it hauls me around to those places & in front of faces where there's something to say or see.

Youth and beauty are not accomplishments, they're the temporary happy by-products of time and/or DNA. Don't hold your breath for either.

• Love 19
8 hours ago, Ohwell said:

But in Farrah Fawcett's case, she had been in the news because of her cancer and I remember them doing a special show about her a few weeks before she died.  I remember Ryan O'Neal being all over tv, crying and looking for sympathy, and there was some other female friend who gave interviews talking about Farrah.  So, while Michael Jackson's death overshadowed hers, she did get some love and recognition before she died.  

The friend was Alana Hamilton Stewart, ex-wife of both actor/former talk show host (with Alana) George Hamilton & singer Rod Stewart.

19 minutes ago, BW Manilowe said:

The friend was Alana Hamilton Stewart, ex-wife of both actor/former talk show host (with Alana) George Hamilton & singer Rod Stewart.

Yes, I remembered her face but couldn't remember her name.

I loved Carrie's talk show on Oxygen, Conversations from the Edge. It was filmed at her house with her guest seated in a comfortable chair across from her, without an audience. Carrie's intelligence and sardonic always shone. She seemed to have lived at least three lifetimes' worth of stories.

Here's Carrie playing herself on Sex and the City:

• Love 2
32 minutes ago, Shannon L. said:

Robin Williams and John Ritter were still the hardest ones for me. 

Those two were devastating. I was driving when news about John Ritter came on the radio. I had to pull over because I started crying. Robin Williams just had me in utter shock.

Sad to hear about George S. Irving. The Miser brothers have been reunited.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, wings707 said:

The news of Carrie's death did not surprise me, I think she died on the airplane.  

Loved her in When Harry Met Sally.  I just watched it again the other day.  Good movie. 

Knowing what I know about medicine, coming from a medical family (& being a frequent patient due to chronic health issues from birth), I think I have to agree with you... She most likely has been dead since she collapsed on the plane. Especially given the fact none of the reports about her collapse have said anything about anyone rendering aid being able to get a pulse, or to get her breathing on her own once she was down.

It's like I said (or implied) in a previous post, perhaps her family kept her on the ventilator until they were ready to say goodbye on their terms--which I honestly can't fault, I suppose. Especially given that she fell ill right before Christmas weekend (though her Fisher side may have been Jewish, & celebrated Hanukkah, & not Christian... I don't know); I mean, I can kind of see them, if it was a "When do we pull the plug?" issue, wanting not to do it until after Christmas so as not to have that connection to the holiday from now on--though they perhaps will anyway.

• Love 7

Celebrity deaths don't really affect me, other than "that's a shame," but I'm crying about Carrie Fisher, and I'm not sure why. I liked that she became a well-regarded Hollywood writer and script doctor, but it's not like I was a super fan of her work. Maybe it's because Star Wars took up a chunk of my weekend -- I saw Rogue One and watched Revenge of the Sith -- Star Wars Episode 3.

• Love 3

As part of my ongoing "I wonder if there really were more celebrity deaths this year, or if it just seems that way" musings, I checked the history of this thread.  In 2014 (well, the nine months of 2014 it existed), there were nine pages worth of posts.  In 2015, there were almost 15 pages worth.  This year?  Forty two pages and counting.

Now, obviously there are other factors at play - the site gaining new posters each year, certain deaths triggering large numbers of posts, etc. - but I found it interesting.

• Love 6
5 hours ago, Princess Sparkle said:

When I read Wishful Drinking a few years back, she mentions in there that when she died, she wanted it reported that she, "... I drowned in moonlight, strangled by my own bra.", so I can only hope that at least a few obituaries obliged.

I've got BBC World News on, and they indeed used the quote in their coverage. 

• Love 5

Dammit to hell.

Not enough great things can be said about Princess Leia, but I always loved her Blues Brothers cameo.

She always said it was her best on-screen kiss. Well, I hope she met up with her old pal John Belushi. I'm almost jealous: I'd rather be in the afterlife with him than breathing the same air as the Orange Turd.

• Love 13

Mark Hamill gave a beautiful tribute to Carrie Fisher.

RIP, Ms. Fisher.  And 2016, I'm out of words for you.  Four more days, and I'm done with you.  When the clock strikes midnight on December 31, I won't just be shouting "Happy New Year!"  I'll also be shouting "And good riddance to you, 2016!"

• Love 12

Hopefully  death will take a hiatus in 2017. This has been a rough year for celebrities dying, many unexpectedly and seemingly before their time. So many of the deaths seemed preventable too, in part due to the death being related to years of substance abuse, poor health or accidents. Again I hope 2017 gives us more to smile about than to frown about. 

RIP Carrie Fisher, George Michael (One of my favorite songs by him was Father Figure. Wonderful lyrics. They don't write em' like that anymore),  Prince and all the others who've left us in 2016.

• Love 9
3 hours ago, BooksRule said:

Another Carrie Fisher connection (and also sad):  

George S. Irving has died.  He was in 'Irene' with Fisher and Debbie Reynolds on Broadway and in other TV shows and movies (but I mainly knew him as the Heat Miser in 'The Year Without a Santa Claus'. 

Heat Miser died?   I was JUST singing this the other day.   Hot flashes will do that to you.

• Love 5

God, losing Carrie Fisher has hit me like a freight train. Of all the celebrity deaths this year, this is the only one that made me cry, and repeatedly at that (and I am the person who didn't cry at the deaths of two of their four grandparents). I am a Star Wars fan, I am a huge fan of her writing, I think Rosemary's Baby is is the best episode of 30 Rock, love her in Catastrophe and generally love everything she has done but I think the reason this hurts so much is that I genuinely admire her for her mental health advocacy, not enough people talk about mental health, very few talk about ECT and she did both fearlessly. Damnit.

Edited by Jac
  • Love 13

I'm not a huge Star Wars fan and I honestly never paid much attention to Carrie Fisher over the years. However, over the past few days, I've read a lot about her and I'm sorry the world has lost a smart, witty woman who wasn't afraid to poke fun at life. People like her are all too often rare anymore.

RIP Carrie.

• Love 9

Losing Carrie Fisher hit me so much harder than any other celebrities we've lost this year. Her mental health advocacy meant a great deal to me, as I try to teach my daughter how to navigate life with disabling mood disorders as well as muddling my way through days with milder depression and anxiety. She was forthright and raw and real in a way that very few others in the public eye have been. She was strong and vibrant and beautifully, lovingly blunt. We need more like her.

• Love 12

That does it! As if George Michael's death on Christmas Day isn't devastating enough, now, with the death of Carrie Fisher, when it comes to 2016 in general and the Grim Reaper's celebrity killing spree in particular, to quote Detox from RuPaul's Drag Race, "I have had it-officially!!" I don't use or even like the term "role model" very much, but if anyone epitomized it in the best way, it was Carrie Fisher, onscreen and off. Onscreen, while Ms. Fisher proved  several times that she could play different characters in The Blues Brothers, When Harry Met Sally and Soapdish, it was Princess Leia that made her iconic, on several levels. 

Like millions of people, I was intrigued by Princess Leia from the moment I saw her, weird hair and all.  Leia may have been a Princess, but she was no damsel in distress, by a long shot. Leia not only didn't perpetually need to be rescued, she rescued Han & Luke several times. Leia even killed Jabba the Hutt all by herself. Served him right for putting her in that skanky outfit. 

Offscreen, Ms. Fisher proved to be as strong, brilliant, honest, funny and fierce in real life. She used her demons to help herself and others. She was truly one of a kind. 

RIP. Ms. Fisher. To paraphrase Lor Sen Jekka in Episode VIII, "To me, you are, and always will be, royalty, in more ways than one."

Edited by DollEyes
  • Love 10
2 hours ago, Ohwell said:

LOL.  I haaaaated those Star Wars buns on her head.

I liked them a lot better when I learned they were inspired by the 'squashed blossom' hairstyle of Hopi women.

16 hours ago, Enero said:

So many of the deaths seemed preventable too,

Death is never preventable. You can postpone it, but you can't beat it.

• Love 4

Death is determined to go out with bang.   Not even slowing down for the holidays.

RIP Lady Jane.   

As for the buns -- Apparently Ms. Fisher suggested she use them in the new Star Wars film showing them all grey now.   She GOT what those buns meant.  I tear up every time I read she finished filming her scenes for the next Star Wars movie before her death.   That one is going to be so hard to see.

• Love 5
5 hours ago, Drogo said:

Somehow, I think Carrie would have approved of the controversial Cinnabon tweet.

cinnabon-carrie-fisher-death-2016-12-28.

i cannot believe people were THAT upset. 

The last thing Ms. Fisher would want is for her, or a character she played, to be put on some pedestal like an untouchable Goddess.

She is probably laughing at the reference and the fun of it.

I hope you're laughing wherever you are, for eternity.

• Love 7
2 minutes ago, merylinkid said:

All those musicians needed SOMETHING to drink out of.    Here's to you Mr. Hulseman.

Musicians? The entire US college system probably wouldn't exist without those red solo cups!

• Love 18
7 minutes ago, GaT said:

Musicians? The entire US college system probably wouldn't exist without those red solo cups!

Toby Keith wrote a song, even. "Red Solo Cup." "Now a red solo cup is the best receptacle / For barbecues tailgates fairs and festivals / And you sir do not have a pair of testicles / If you prefer drinking from glass…"

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, roamyn said:

I'm tearing up.   WTF is happening?!

I feel like we're in the 18th century village and the entire county has been struck with Scarlet Fever or something. I can't even take a breath before I read another headline about losing another icon.

• Love 6

Carrie lived next door to Debbie. Carrie's daughter would go back and forth between the houses. How awful for Carrie's daughter and siblings. I can't imagine how awful it would have been if my Nana and Mom had died within days of each other.

• Love 17