Type keyword(s) to search

In Memoriam: Entertainment Industry Celebrity Deaths

Message added by Mr. Sparkle,

Reminder:

This thread is for deaths of celebrities in the entertainment business only. No notices about politicians, please. 

• Start Topic

12 hours ago, SmithW6079 said:

Does Arturo the polar bear count as a celebrity?

World’s Saddest Polar Bear Dies After 22 Years In Concrete Pit

If Arturo counts, let me add Pan Pan, the world's oldest male panda, who died yesterday, of a combination of cancer & old age, at age 31 (about 100 human years). Pan Pan has some 130 descendants worldwide, accounting for 25% of the world's captive panda population. Among Pan Pan's descendants are Tian Tian, the adult male panda currently residing at the Smithsonian's National Zoo in Washington, DC with his mate, Mei Xiang, & 2 of their 3 cubs (& Pan Pan's "grand cubs") 3-year-old Bao Bao (a female) & 16-month-old Bei Bei (a male). A third cub born to Tian Tian & Mei Xiang, & another Pan Pan "grand cub", 11-year-old male Tai Shan, lives at a Panda Breeding & Research Center in China.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2016/12/30/507539383/-panda-grandpa-pan-pan-dies-in-china

Edited by BW Manilowe
To add a comment. And then fix punctuation.
  • Love 3

Aw, so sad about Sutter, but I'm glad he had these extra few good months with his family.  I remember the announcement when he recovered from his surgery: First Dog returns to work, resumes limited office trash can inspections, rigorous nap schedule.

• Love 5

According to this article, as many deaths as there were among celebirties this year,,  there were even more in 2006, but of course, social media wasn't the same 10 years ago as it is today. So...yay, I guess? Come on, guys, I'm trying to be optimistic, give me something here! 

http://www.cnn.com/2016/12/30/entertainment/worst-year-celebrity-deaths-trnd/index.html?sr=twCNN123116worst-year-celebrity-deaths-trnd0331AMStoryLink&linkId=32901830

Edited by UYI
30 minutes ago, BatmanBeatles said:

First George Martin and now this guy. I'm scared for Paul and Ringo.

Only a little more than 26 hours to go, and this wretched year will finally disappear into history where it belongs.  Hopefully, it won't try to take anyone else along with it in those 26 hours.

• Love 4
20 hours ago, merylinkid said:

I remember when Princess Diana died.   I was gutted.   It still hits me quite often.   It's not like I knew her or anything.   But somehow, even with her issues, she was gone far too soon.

In the car this afternoon, the Sirius 90s channel was doing some "best of the 90s" year-end thing, and Elton John's Diana-tribute version of Candle in the Wind came on.  It's been ages since I heard it, and I got a little misty...

• Love 2
6 minutes ago, Moose135 said:

In the car this afternoon, the Sirius 90s channel was doing some "best of the 90s" year-end thing, and Elton John's Diana-tribute version of Candle in the Wind came on.  It's been ages since I heard it, and I got a little misty...

You know, I've disliked Elton John ever since, because that "tribute" song for Princess Diana was a warmed-over version of the song he did for Marilyn Monroe when she died.  I thought Diana deserved a completely new song just for her. 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Ohwell said:

You know, I've disliked Elton John ever since, because that "tribute" song for Princess Diana was a warmed-over version of the song he did for Marilyn Monroe when she died.  I thought Diana deserved a completely new song just for her. 

It could have been worse.  Andrew Lloyd Webber could have reworked "Don't Cry for Me, Argentina."  You have to admit, the lyrics would have fit, especially the part that goes "and as for fortune and as for fame/I never invited them in/Though it seemed to the world they were all I desired."

• Love 1
1 minute ago, merylinkid said:

One of my friends posted on Facebook  "Farewell 2016, don't let the door hit you on the ass on the way out."   I love my friend.

I'm going out to celebrate in a few hours, and I can't wait to yell, "Happy New Year -- and good riddance, 2016!" at the top of my lungs.

• Love 4

We've lost Father Mulcahy.

Isn't that weird... one year ago today, we lost Wayne Rogers. Now, on this Dec. 31st, it's William Christopher. 

I am so sad. Loved Mulcahy, I always thought he was an underrated character. He had some truly hilarious moments, like in the episode where he performed an emergency tracheotomy and wanted to say a prayer first. But he was so flustered, the only prayer he could come up with was grace. 

• Love 10
5 minutes ago, rubaco said:

Isn't that weird... one year ago today, we lost Wayne Rogers. Now, on this Dec. 31st, it's William Christopher. 

I didn't realize that.    Now I'm really bummed.

Going to drink heavily until 2016 is  O.V.E.R.

• Love 2
On 30/12/2016 at 4:21 PM, maraleia said:

Is anyone else having as hard of a time coming to grips with Carrie Fisher's death as I am? I may never get over it for as long as I live.

I'm struggling a lot with processing Carrie's death for a few reasons. First, she was the same age as my mum and my mum had a serious health scare (a severe infection) a few years back but my capacity for denial is high (in spite of having medical training, I'm studying epidemiology) so the idea that someone my mother's age could die has rattled me. Second, Carrie seemed to so positive and happy recently, she seemed to have finally gotten to a place in life where she could accept being Carrie Fisher and all the baggage that entails, it feels so grossly unfair that she died now. Third, the fact that Debbie died the next day just compounds how much I feel for Billie and Todd, I can't even imagine having to live though what they are living though right now.

Edited by Jac
typo
  • Love 4
18 hours ago, merylinkid said:

Nope, we couldn't make it to 2017 without more deaths.   Just no.   We've lost Father Mulcahy.   

Oh geez...another 84-year-old, as was Debbie.  He is a Monkey in the Year of the Monkey - same as Carrie, Debbie and myself (thus my avatar)- NOT a good thing to be, according to the Oriental/Asian Zodiac.  My sweet Vietnamese manicurist warned me to stay home, lock my doors and pull the covers over my ears until 1/27/17, and she was right.  Anyone with an age divisible by 12 this year is in jeopardy until then.  So all you Roosters watch out in 2017!

http://www.chinahighlights.com/travelguide/chinese-zodiac/

"As the Chinese zodiac recurs every 12 years, your animal year will come around when you are 12, 24, 36, 48, 60, 72, etc.

According to ancient Chinese superstition, in your birth sign year, he will offend the God of Age, and will have bad luck during that year. The best way to avoid bad luck during this year is by wearing something red given by an elder (relative), such as socks, a neck cord, underwear, a waistband, a bracelet, or an anklet."

Good riddance 2016. 

Edited by Tunia
  • Love 3
2 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

*spits on 2016's grave*

Mark Hamill had a great tweet aft Debbie's passing.

A picture of a man in sillouette standing on a cliff with a large 2017, kicking a 6 off the cliff.

Nothing else.  Just that picture. 

• Love 5

I see everyone beat me to William Christopher.  I believe he was on one of METV's ads for M*A*S*H* reruns not very long ago.  RIP.

I read an article this past week or so about research done in New Zealand that indicated that more deaths happen this time of year (the holidays).  They did the research in New Zealand because it's summer there, and wanted to prove it wasn't weather related.   What with travel, stress, being away from home you can see that this time of year may lead to more chances of serious illness or worse.  Sadly.

Edited by roseha
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, legaleagle53 said:

I'm going out to celebrate in a few hours, and I can't wait to yell, "Happy New Year -- and good riddance, 2016!" at the top of my lungs.

Celebrity deaths/contentious election year aside, I had a pretty okay year. It wasn't perfect, but in many ways it turned out fine for me.

Not to sound too selfish, of course. I don't mind there being a new year. :)

• Love 2

Loved William Christopher's portrayal of Fr. Mulcahy -- a decent man of God who had very human failings too.  One of my favorite episodes is the Christmas episode in which he narrates a letter to his sister, worrying that he is making no difference for anyone.  it reminds me of how we all can make a positive impact on the lives of others in a million small ways every day. 

I knew we couldn't get to the end of 2016 without another death.  And there's still a few hours to go . . .

I have no faith in 2017 either, primarily because of what will happen on January 20th.  But those thoughts are for a different thread. 

• Love 9
6 minutes ago, Calvada said:

Loved William Christopher's portrayal of Fr. Mulcahy -- a decent man of God who had very human failings too.  One of my favorite episodes is the Christmas episode in which he narrates a letter to his sister, worrying that he is making no difference for anyone.  it reminds me of how we all can make a positive impact on the lives of others in a million small ways every day. 

I knew we couldn't get to the end of 2016 without another death.  And there's still a few hours to go . . .

I have no faith in 2017 either, primarily because of what will happen on January 20th.  But those thoughts are for a different thread. 

Yea he portrayed him with some dignity and class. Might have to have a M*A*S*H rewatch soon.

• Love 3

I suspect that the early years of M*A*S*H that were heavy on the womanizing won't hold up as well as the later ones where even Hot Lips was allowed to be a three dimensional character, even if 'St. Hawkeye'  of that era had a tendency to bug. 

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, selkie said:

I suspect that the early years of M*A*S*H that were heavy on the womanizing won't hold up as well as the later ones where even Hot Lips was allowed to be a three dimensional character, even if 'St. Hawkeye'  of that era had a tendency to bug. 

Yea, but even those are a bit better than some of the stuff on tv now. St. Hawkeye bugged me a bit more. There's even one episode I don't even watch due to that.

That aside though, it's sad that Father Mulcahy is gone :(.

• Love 1

Just to be safe: Everyone should probably hold back until after midnight Hawaiian time, when the entire world will finally be observing the new year. Maybe even sometime tomorrow, as some NYE deaths aren't reported until the next day.

But honestly, I'm trying to be more optimistic. I understand mourning deaths like these--that's what this thread is for, after all!--but I'm trying not to sound TOO despondent about the world at large. I'd rather fight back than cry, and just hold out for hope, even when it seems futile.

...I really am not snarky enough for you guys, am I? :)

Edited by UYI
  • Love 4
23 minutes ago, UYI said:

Just to be safe: Everyone should probably hold back until after midnight Hawaiian time, when the entire world will finally be observing the new year. Maybe even sometime tomorrow, as some NYE deaths aren't reported until the next day.

But honestly, I'm trying to be more optimistic. I understand mourning deaths like these--that's what this thread is for, after all!--but I'm trying not to sound TOO despondent about the world at large. I'd rather fight back than cry, and just hold out for hope, even when it seems futile.

...I really am not snarky enough for you guys, am I? :)

We need your optimism. I've tried to be glass half full, but this year just wore me out.

I know William Christopher was 84 but this one hurts...I watch MASH every chance I get...I suggest that when Midnight happens for us all..we raise a glass to 2017 and cry out to the heavens "JOCULARITY!!!!" If that's not a prayer for 2017...I don't know what is...

• Love 10
26 minutes ago, stonehaven said:

.I suggest that when Midnight happens for us all..we raise a glass to 2017 and cry out to the heavens "JOCULARITY!!!!" If that's not a prayer for 2017...I don't know what is...

I didn't read this until after midnight, but I did it anyway.   Happy New Year.   Bye, bye, bye, 2016

• Love 3
23 hours ago, Ohwell said:

I thought Elton John's tribute to Diana was touching. There was nothing wrong in creating new lyrics, even if he didn't write new music -- his friend had just died. The song for Marilyn Monroe was written a decade after her death. I guess this is an unpopular opinion, but I've never thought Diana, Princess of Wales, deserved the deification the public bestowed on her.  

Jane Pauley's "death parade" on CBS Sunday Morning was 20 minutes long on today's broadcast.

Edited by SmithW6079
  • Love 8
22 hours ago, Ohwell said:

You know, I've disliked Elton John ever since, because that "tribute" song for Princess Diana was a warmed-over version of the song he did for Marilyn Monroe when she died.

But Elton was responding to the public. When Diana died, everyone was playing Candle in the Wind, and the new lyrics came after that. He didn't come up with it all by himself.

• Love 4
On 12/30/2016 at 5:21 PM, maraleia said:

Is anyone else having as hard of a time coming to grips with Carrie Fisher's death as I am? I may never get over it for as long as I live.

I understand.  Everyone has different personal connections to different celebrities for various reasons.

Somebody on Twitter asked, what celebrity death hit you the hardest?  The answers were really varied, like Robin Williams, Alan Rickman, Kurt Cobain, etc.

Mine is Aaliyah.  Considering it happened in 2001 and I am still not over it, I don't think I'll ever get over it.

Looking at the original tweet I kind of misphrased it.  Warning, the 1400 replies might be too sad for some of you to wade through.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 3