Type keyword(s) to search

In Memoriam: Entertainment Industry Celebrity Deaths

Message added by Mr. Sparkle,

Reminder:

This thread is for deaths of celebrities in the entertainment business only. No notices about politicians, please. 

• Start Topic

(edited)

Oh damn, Kay Mellor has died! The name may not mean much to American ears, but she has been an absolute giant of the British TV industry for the last few decades.  She created some amazing stuff. May she rest in peace.

Edited by Llywela
On 5/16/2022 at 5:12 PM, Browncoat said:

She had such a lovely voice.  My local station recently showed the episode where they were looking for a husband for Charlene's daughter, Andylina (who was an infant).  She sang "There Is A Time":  A gorgeous song.

Lucky lady, dying in her sleep at 81.

darling.jpg

• Love 2
(edited)

Actress Marnie Schulenburg who played Alison Stewart on As the World Turns and Jo Sullivan on One Life to Live has died, age 37.

https://deadline.com/2022/05/marnie-schulenburg-dead-actress-as-the-world-turns-obituary-one-life-to-live-actress-was-37-1235027507/ (updated by Deadline with ATWT reunion video)

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/marnie-schulenburg-dead-as-the-world-turns-1235149801/

https://variety.com/2022/tv/news/marnie-schulenburg-dead-as-the-world-turns-1235271277/

Edited by MissAlmond

Damn. According to the articles, her daughter is only two years old, and was only five months old when Marnie received the cancer diagnosis.  Not that there's ever a good time to receive a cancer diagnosis, but that timing is just devastating.

FUCK CANCER.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, praeceptrix said:

Rosmarie Trapp, 93, the last surviving daughter of Baron Georg Johannes von Trapp has died.

Sad when even the younger children from the Von Trapp Family grow old and die!  

According to a local news outlet in VT, they say she used to have her own newspaper column called Rosemary's Corner!  Apparently she wrote to them so often, they decided to give her her own space!  Apparently only her brother Johannes is left in that generation.

47 minutes ago, Domestic Assassin said:

RIP Vangelis

Vangelis was my introduction to electronic music!  When Chariots of Fire came out, the soundtrack was everywhere!  The main theme used as a metaphor for hard work and training!  Even in spoofs!  

Rest well dear Vangelis!

• Love 11

He'll probably always be best remembered for Chariots of Fire, but my personal favorite of his is Conquest of Paradise, from 1492.  It's majestic and expansive, yet also a bit eerie.

• Love 13

RIP Vangelis

His songs were great. I discovered this gem when it was used in an episode of General Hospital in the early 90s...

• Love 6
29 minutes ago, Leeds said:

I defy anyone of a certain age not to immediately start humming the theme tune on hearing this sad news.

I live near the beach. I should run on it in slow motion in his honour. Only, it's been some years since I last ran. Falling over and hurting myself is not the appropriate action. Sadly, I'll have to cancel the beach run.

• LOL 9
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, Leeds said:

I defy anyone of a certain age not to immediately start humming the theme tune on hearing this sad news.

I'm not humming it, but as soon as I saw the name Vangelis, that song started playing on the 24/7 turntable in my head and is still playing.

• Love 14
13 hours ago, meowmommy said:

I'm not humming it, but as soon as I saw the name Vangelis, that song started playing on the 24/7 turntable in my head and is still playing.

One of our local PBS channels recently broadcasted "Chariots of Fire." I wish I would have watched it.

• Love 6
On 5/19/2022 at 8:32 PM, meowmommy said:

This was a Jeopardy question today!

• Love 6

Oh c'mon!  I mean I am getting somewhat used to losing celebrities I like who are well into their golden years now, but jeeze - Ray Liotta?  I still remember him from his Another World days.  This really sucks.

• Love 2
(edited)

WHAT THE FUCK?!

Okay, I'm gutted....god.  Along with the late, great Dennis Farina, Ray was one of my crushes.  Two Italian dudes who were not only hot looking, but great actors.  

My mouth is actually agape, I have no words.

RIP, Ray...say hello to Dennis and Frank Vincent (another crush) for me.  

I'ma watch Goodfellas this weekend, damn.

Edited by Yogisbooboo64
  • Love 4
(edited)
54 minutes ago, SusanM said:

Ray Liotta?  I still remember him from his Another World days. 

Yep. Joey Perrini, Angie's little brother.  Yet another actor (first spotted) from my soap opera days gone. Damn. R.I.P. Mr. Liotta. 

Edited by MissAlmond
  • Love 13
21 minutes ago, Yogisbooboo64 said:

WHAT THE FUCK?!

Okay, I'm gutted....god.  Along with the late, great Dennis Farina, Ray was one of my crushes.  Two Italian dudes who were not only hot looking, but great actors.  

My mouth is actually agape, I have no words.

RIP, Ray...say hello to Dennis and Frank Vincent (another crush) for me.  

I'ma watch Goodfellas this weekend, damn.

I always had a big crush on Ray Liotta too. 

A lot of the recent celebrity deaths haven't particularly bothered me, though it is of course sad when anyone passes, but this one really hurts. 

• Love 6
(edited)

Liotta's death was obviously completely unexpected, as he died (in his sleep) in the Dominican Republic, where he was in the middle of shooting a film.

He's obviously played more memorable roles, but I most associate him with the charming, underrated gem Corrina, Corrina (with Whoopi Goldberg and little Tina Majorino in one of her first films).  It was nice seeing him as something other than a tough guy. 

He was also really powerful (and won an Emmy) as a guest star on ER -- a stand-out episode in a show that was getting rather long in the tooth.

He did a great job in his signature roles, don't get me wrong, I am just way more drawn to different ones.  But going back to one of those, here's a lovely tweet from his Goodfellas co-star Lorraine Bracco:

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 24

Upon reading about Andy Fletcher's death, my first thought was, "How sad, he was only 60."  And then my second was, "Wait, hold up - the Depeche Mode guys are 60?!"  Another reminder I am getting old.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 11
1 hour ago, Bastet said:

Liotta's death was obviously completely unexpected, as he died (in his sleep) in the Dominican Republic, where he was in the middle of shooting a film.

He's obviously played more memorable roles, but I most associate him with the charming, underrated gem Corrina, Corrina (with Whoopi Goldberg and little Tina Majorino in one of her first films).  It was nice seeing him as something other than a tough guy. 

He was also really powerful (and won an Emmy) as a guest star on ER -- a stand-out episode in a show that was getting rather long in the tooth.

He did a great job in his signature roles, don't get me wrong, I am just way more drawn to different ones.  But going back to one of those, here's a lovely tweet from his Goodfellas co-star Lorraine Bracco:

I think the first thing I saw him in as a kid was Operation Dumbo Drop, and though as an adult I automatically think of Henry Hill, I still have a soft spot for that movie because of him. He was also really delightfully goofy when he showed up as a guest star on Just Shoot Me. He played himself but very against type, and his episode was one of my favorites. 

• Love 11
1 hour ago, Bastet said:

I always associated him with Corrina Corrina as well - a favorite movie of mine when I was in high school. This truly fits me - he was one of the few actors where I would watch him in almost anything as long as he was in it.    

• Love 14

Field of Dream and Corinna Corinna we're my two Ray connections as well.  When I was old enough to finally see Goodfellas I was all why Shoeless Joe gangster man? He had a range he doesn't get enough credit for.  More known for dramatic roles but the man could drop a zinger as well.  He also had a funny recurring on Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt.

• Love 19

It's a bad day to be a celebrity.

A small scene from this was filmed around the corner from my house. I only know because they had to send notices to everyone in the area and that block had to have all their cars out of sight. It was just the school bus pulling up to the corner and the kid getting off. Takes up all of 30 seconds in the movie but they spent hours filming. Most of the houses in the neighborhood were built in the 20s and 30s so I guess somebody thought it would be good for a film set in the 50s.

• Love 9

I remember a few years back (like in 2018-2019) that there were some articles about a small number of U.S. tourists who died or were sickened at Dominican resorts under unexplained circumstances.  The deaths were generally chalked up to “natural causes,” even though two of those deaths were a couple that both died of pulmonary edema and respiratory failure in their room, which seemed strange.  Vox had an article at the time that contained speculations about everything from pesticide exposure to contaminated minibar alcohol, but I don’t think anything ever came of it and no tests showed anyone was poisoned by environmental factors.

When I heard that Ray Liotta had died in his sleep, it made me think of those other cases, but I haven’t really seen anyone talking about it.  Maybe there is nothing to it:  millions of Americans visit the DR every year for work and play, and some of them will unfortunately die while there; Liotta was a bit older with a history of smoking behind him.  It’s not exactly shocking.

• Useful 4
  • Love 1

This was truly shocking!

Most of Ray Liotta's iconic roles have already been mentioned, but I first sat up and took notice of him in Something Wild, starring Melanie Griffith and Jeff Daniels. It seems like a pretty run of the mill "manic pixie dream girl shakes up a guy's dull life" comedy until Liotta appears. He was equal parts scary and gorgeous.

• Love 13