Type keyword(s) to search

In Memoriam: Entertainment Industry Celebrity Deaths

Message added by Mr. Sparkle,

Reminder:

This thread is for deaths of celebrities in the entertainment business only. No notices about politicians, please. 

• Start Topic

Dammit, Dammit Dammit.   RIP Gene Wilder.    He's with Gilda now, but condolences to his widow.  25 years is a long time to be married to anyone.   He must have loved her too very much.   

2016 can bugger off any time now.   Seriously, I am willing to hold New Years Eve a little early if it stops this parade of death.

• Love 7
47 minutes ago, amaranta said:

I know it's not mentioned much, or at all really, but for some reason I really liked The Adventure of Sherlock Holmes' Smarter Brother 

When it played at the cheap theater after its first run, I saw it so often I had the dialogue memorized.

• Love 3

I thought it was odd that he didn't attend the Mel Brooks to-do last year or the year before. He looked pretty rough in the video shown.

Honestly, that was my big take away from that PBS special.  I was so looking forward to seeing him and was so sad when he only appeared by video and then was very frail.  

I know that he was 83 and that celebrities die all of the time, but 2016 seems determined to take our one-of-a-kind-nobody-else like them artists.  Bowie, Prince, Ali and now Gene Wilder.   I'm sure that its just my age and my nostalgia talking, but THESE are the people that everyone else gets compared to and it just sucks.

• Love 12
3 hours ago, BW Manilowe said:

This was ReTweeted by someone I follow on Twitter, to add to your mention of Mr. Wilder's marriage following the 1 to Gilda Radner. It's a photo of Mr. Wilder & his now widow, Karen, to whom he was married for 25 years. The original poster didn't want her place in Mr. Wilder's life forgotten since most people/posters are bringing up his marriage to Gilda Radner, as though it was his only 1/his only 1 which "counted".

https://mobile.twitter.com/JamesGunn/status/770351315369066496?p=v

No, I agree with that. Richard Burton's widow went through the same thing when he died and people acted as if Liz were the real widow. It apparently really upset her.

Edited by UYI
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, BizBuzz said:

He simply couldn't bear the idea of one less smile in the world. ~ Jordan Walker-Pearlman

Touche.

Ouch, this one hurts.  A lot.

Just for clarification purposes, Jordan Walker-Pearlman is/was Gene Wilder's nephew, who apparently announced his death on the family's behalf & is referred to as far back as my 2nd post on the subject here. He made the comment you quoted in discussing why the family chose not to announce earlier (pre-death) that he had Alzheimer's Disease. He said that, at the time his Uncle died, the Alzheimer's hadn't taken either his personality or his ability to recognize those he loved, as so often happens. He also said something to the effect of they didn't want especially his young fans through Willy Wonka to know he was ill, especially since many/most wouldn't be able to understand about Alzheimer's at their ages. Basically, what I took from it is they wanted his fans/the public to remember Mr. Wilder as he was, not as what he could've become (but apparently, thankfully, didn't) because of the normal effects of Alzheimer's on someone with the illness.

Edited by BW Manilowe
Fixed a spacing issue
  • Love 4
58 minutes ago, Dancingjaneway said:

Also by the by can someone please check on Julie Andrews??

And Shirley Jones and Florence Henderson, and Aretha Franklin...

ETA:  God Bless Olivia DeHaviland.  100 last month and still doing well.

Edited by roamyn
  • Love 3

I know that he was 83 and that celebrities die all of the time, but 2016 seems determined to take our one-of-a-kind-nobody-else like them artists.  Bowie, Prince, Ali and now Gene Wilder.   I'm sure that its just my age and my nostalgia talking, but THESE are the people that everyone else gets compared to and it just sucks.

My sentiments exactly. I get that he was older and of poor health. I get that (from his nephew wrote) he went very beautifully and peacefully. But 2016 is doing a really great job of reminding us  how very mortal our seemingly immortal legends really are. RIP Mr Wilder.

Edited by AgentRXS
  • Love 4

Here, for those interested, is the entire statement released by Gene Wilder's family on his passing. I apologize if some of you can't read it/read it well; it's a screencap I got in a ReTweet. Hopefully the text is a bit larger than in the link I originally posted. This is just the statement itself, which is the way I wanted to share it as opposed to people having to scan a longer article/obit to find the specific statement by his family.

https://mobile.twitter.com/AustinHunt/status/770353396700282881?p=v

Edited by BW Manilowe
To replace link, make appropriate post edits for that change.
  • Love 3

I was so sad to hear about Gene Wilder.  I went to school with his daughter Katie, she was a year younger than me.  He came to her graduation, very nice man.

Edited by Neurochick
  • Love 6
20 hours ago, atomationage said:

I'm going to have to see if the library has a copy of The Producers.  I must have seen that movie a hundred times.  When it came out, my older sister and brother were both working at a movie theatre, and I got in for free, and saw it over and over again. 

Imagine my immense disappointment when I discovered that my local library does not have Young Frankenstein or Silver Streak.  Am able to get Blazing Saddles, though.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 2
22 hours ago, roamyn said:
23 hours ago, Dancingjaneway said:

Also by the by can someone please check on Julie Andrews??

And Shirley Jones and Florence Henderson, and Aretha Franklin...

After watching the clips, I'm more worried about Terri Garr than anyone else.    I hope 2016 leaves her alone!

• Love 2

Vera Caslavska isn't likely to be a name the average person would recognize but she has passed away at age 74.  She's a gymnastics legend, winning seven golds and four silvers at the 64 and 68 Olympics for Czechoslovakia and was the last female gymnast to win the All-Around twice. 

Some more details here.

• Love 2

My own favorite was this one, The Chronicle:

http://ww.imdb.com/title/tt0242733/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_105

in which he played the editor of a Weekly World News type tabloid that, as it turns out, is printing the god's honest truth about Batboy and Bigfoot and Nessie - to keep anyone from discovering how real all these things are.  Because who in their right mind would believe anything they read in the Weekly World News?  A funny show and one I wish had continued.

There was some trouble with Shlaffly recently suing over a beer label being used by her nephew, but from what I've read it was mostly her sons' doing, but they mention her because she's "famous" or infamous.   I could never stand the woman.  Didn't Murphy Brown do an episode about someone like her?  Housewives Against Gratuitous Sex, or H. A. G. S.

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, atomationage said:

There was some trouble with Shlaffly recently suing over a beer label being used by her nephew, but from what I've read it was mostly her sons' doing, but they mention her because she's "famous" or infamous.   I could never stand the woman.  Didn't Murphy Brown do an episode about someone like her?  Housewives Against Gratuitous Sex, or H. A. G. S.

I don't know about Murphy Brown, but the first season of Cagney & Lacey certainly did--the one with Meg Foster as Christine Cagney. And Julie Adams played the character that was based on Schlafly. It was the last episode, "Better Than Equal."

• Love 1
46 minutes ago, atomationage said:

It could've been about her or Anita Bryant (who, BTW, is still alive). 

• Love 2
1 minute ago, UYI said:

It could've been about her or Anita Bryant (who, BTW, is still alive). 

Hoo Boy. Thanks to CNN's The Seventies, I know who Bryant is. And my eyes couldn't roll hard enough over her stance on homosexuality. Comparing it to robbery and murder. And how the latter could become "ex" murderers, or former murderers, homosexuals could also change their lifestyle and become "ex" homosexuals. Major face palming on my side when I saw that.

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Hoo Boy. Thanks to CNN's The Seventies, I know who Bryant is. And my eyes couldn't roll hard enough over her stance on homosexuality. Comparing it to robbery and murder. And how the latter could become "ex" murderers, or former murderers, homosexuals could also change their lifestyle and become "ex" homosexuals. Major face palming on my side when I saw that.

She was Miss Oklahoma in 1959, and LOST Miss America that year to Miss Mississppi--future actress Mary Ann Mobley (Maggie on Diff'rent Strokes, and Gary Collins' wife--RIP to both of them).

But Anita's not dead yet, so I'll stop for now. But she and Phyllis Schlafly certainly were/are very similar women.

Edited by UYI
  • Love 3
14 minutes ago, UYI said:

But she and Phyllis Schlafly certainly were/are very similar women.

Anita Bryant was at least a talented singer, and was well known before.  My mother had one of her record albums.   Phyllis Schlafly rode to prominence as an opponent of the ERA.  WIlliam Mr. FBuckley may have helped her become known when he had a program on PBS.   Was it called Firing Line?   She was "just a housewife" who became a political activist to try and stop the future from occurring. 

Edited by atomationage
  • Love 3
9 hours ago, merylinkid said:

I'm sorry she's dead because she had a family and friends.   Still don't agree with her viewpoint.

I'm not saying I'd dance on her grave or anything, but I'm not exactly going to miss her either. Plus, 92 is pretty damn good.

• Love 5
11 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Someone drew this equivalency right to my face . . . last night.  (I swear this is true.)  He was telling me that homosexuals would be welcome to attend services at his church, so they can learn.  They wouldn't be allowed to actually become members, though, unless they seek forgiveness and reform--just like the church member who is a paroled murderer, who preaches a terrific sermon and is an inspiration to them all.

I give Phyllis "Women Against Women" Schlafly credit for doing her part to contribute to the general ongoing divisiveness. 

[In law school, my Constitutional Law professor was Schlafly's personal legal advisor, so he spent an inordinate amount of time lecturing about the ERA and using it as an illustration for other times people had incorrectly asserted they had rights.  It made Con Law--supposedly where we learned the bedrock of the entire legal structure--go all topsy-turvy and suspicious to me.]

Ugh.  Dark thoughts in my head this morning.

Edited by candall
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

I'm not saying I'd dance on her grave or anything, but I'm not exactly going to miss her either. Plus, 92 is pretty damn good.

Not to get political here, but I can't help but think that   Gloria Steinem may  be relieved that Mrs. Schlafly won't be able to dance on her grave.

• Love 5
9 hours ago, UYI said:

They make good beer.  Glad they weren't on her good side.

After reading her obit in the NYT today, I came to the conclusion that she was a troll before the internet.  What a hypocrite she was.  And that's the nicest word I can use to describe her.

• Love 8
19 hours ago, Bastet said:

Director Leslie Martinson, who directed episodes of what seems like every show on TV from the '50s - '80s, died this weekend (at home, age 101, so 2016 finally showed some mercy).

He directed a lot of Brady Bunch episodes! RIP. 

2 hours ago, AntiBeeSpray said:

Dang it 2016.

John Hostetter passed away. I remember him from Murphy Brown.

The Lady Chablis passed away. I remember her from the movie 'Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil'.

May they both rest in peace.

Murphy Brown was one of my favorite shows especially since it pissed off Dan "Potatoe'" Quayle so much. I just watched 'Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil' a couple months ago too. The Lady Chablis was wonderful in it.

• Love 4