Type keyword(s) to search

In Memoriam: Entertainment Industry Celebrity Deaths

Message added by Mr. Sparkle,

Reminder:

This thread is for deaths of celebrities in the entertainment business only. No notices about politicians, please. 

• Start Topic

57 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Oh, they'll leave out about half the people who could be included because they weren't popular at the time they died.  But TCM Remembers for 2016 may wind up being an hour long.

Instead of running it between films, they might have to give it it's own time-slot.

• Love 5
On September 5, 2016 at 9:47 PM, UYI said:

She was Miss Oklahoma in 1959, and LOST Miss America that year to Miss Mississppi--future actress Mary Ann Mobley (Maggie on Diff'rent Strokes, and Gary Collins' wife--RIP to both of them).

But Anita's not dead yet, so I'll stop for now. But she and Phyllis Schlafly certainly were/are very similar women.

Anita Bryant was also the commercial spokeswoman, occasionally along with her then-husband & their children, for Florida Orange Juice, I think back in the 1970's. She lost the job when she publicly came out--as it were--as being very much anti-gay/anti-gay rights. She subsequently divorced the husband in the commercials, then remarried & moved to Selma, Alabama as I remember (which, because of her anti-gay stance & Selma's place in history as the center of the civil rights movement in the 1960's, is rather ironic if you ask me). I think she's still living there, but I'm not certain.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, BW Manilowe said:

Anita Bryant was also the commercial spokeswoman, occasionally along with her then-husband & their children, for Florida Orange Juice, I think back in the 1970's. She lost the job when she publicly came out--as it were--as being very much anti-gay/anti-gay rights. She subsequently divorced the husband in the commercials, then remarried & moved to Selma, Alabama as I remember (which, because of her anti-gay stance & Selma's place in history as the center of the civil rights movement in the 1960's, is rather ironic if you ask me). I think she's still living there, but I'm not certain.

Nope, she moved back to her home state of Oklahoma several years back--after, among other things, going bankrupt following a string of shows in the tourist town of Eureka Springs, Arkansas.

She actually lost a lot of conservative support after divorcing her husband, because she had preached about the sanctity of marriage so often in the past. But that was in about 1980, so that may have gone over differently now. 

• Love 1
On September 5, 2016 at 9:59 PM, atomationage said:

Anita Bryant was at least a talented singer, and was well known before.  My mother had one of her record albums.   Phyllis Schlafly rode to prominence as an opponent of the ERA.  WIlliam Mr. FBuckley may have helped her become known when he had a program on PBS.   Was it called Firing Line?   She was "just a housewife" who became a political activist to try and stop the future from occurring. 

Yes, then-prominent Conservative William F. Buckley hosted a (I think weekly) PBS show called Firing Line. I think he also had a brother who was famous for another line of work (I think he was a US Senator, perhaps, or Buckley himself eventually became 1). But I don't remember how much Buckley, or his show, helped Ms. Bryant promote her own Conservative/anti-gay views.

• Love 1

Oh no, 2016 took Crazy Eddie

Nooooo!

I grew up with those commercials, and they were legend!  Early on we knew he wasn't the real "Eddie";  he was a DJ who was doing commercials for the store and seemed to have a bit more "energy" than other announcers.  One thing lead to another and he became the pitchman.  One of my favorites was the Crazy Eddies Christmas sales - in August!

• Love 2

Yikes - I remember James Stacy from his Emmy-nominated guest spot on Cagney & Lacey, the TV movie about the accident that cost him his limbs, and his precedent-setting lawsuit, but I somehow completely missed the child molestation conviction and all the craziness that surrounded it.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 1
2 minutes ago, BW Manilowe said:

I've been watching the whole Cagney & Lacey series and just saw his episode not long ago. It seems like people I've been seeing in older shows/movies I've been watching lately keep getting mentioned in this thread. It's getting really weird. It's hard to feel bad about this passing considering what he got caught doing later in life. 

1 hour ago, merylinkid said:

RIP Charmain Carr.   She'll always be 16 going on 17 to me.

And a sad way to go. :(

Well, to try to keep things from being totally gloomy, I think it's a bit odd that she claimed she got her stage surname of Carr due to the director Robert Wise believing that her actual birth surname of Farnon made her full name too long.  How come it was okay for Christopher Plummer and Eleanor Parker to keep their names, then? I seriously doubt anyone stayed away from the movie just because the latter two performers' names were 'too long' and their names appeared in the billing promoting the movie whereas Miss Carr's name only appeared in the  credits -along with  Nicholas Hammond, Heather Menzies, and Angela Cartwright all of whose names were longer than hers!

• Love 2

Billionaire Businessman William Louis-Dreyfus, Father of Emmy-Winning Actress Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Dead at Age 84.

http://www.lohud.com/story/news/local/westchester/bedford/2016/09/18/william-louis-dreyfus-obit/90622404/

Charmian Carr's sister is/was TV actress Darleen Carr, who's probably best known as 1 of the daughters/the daughter in Henry Fonda's, I think short-lived, ABC series The Smith Family. I think 1 took the name "Carr" from the other, but I forget who did it. Also, regarding use of the family name "Farnon" in acting I believe there's an actor or actress named Shannon Farnon who's part of the same family, but I don't know how they're related.

Edited by BW Manilowe
To Add Some Comments/Change Some Info.
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, Blergh said:

And a sad way to go. :(

Well, to try to keep things from being totally gloomy, I think it's a bit odd that she claimed she got her stage surname of Carr due to the director Robert Wise believing that her actual birth surname of Farnon made her full name too long.  How come it was okay for Christopher Plummer and Eleanor Parker to keep their names, then? I seriously doubt anyone stayed away from the movie just because the latter two performers' names were 'too long' and their names appeared in the billing promoting the movie whereas Miss Carr's name only appeared in the  credits -along with  Nicholas Hammond, Heather Menzies, and Angela Cartwright all of whose names were longer than hers!

I would consider that story somewhat apocryphal for the simple reason that her sister Darlene Carr shared the same last name.

I remember when some Internet friends of mine and I organized a virtual tour of Europe a few years ago, and one of the stops on our virtual itinerary was a "Sound of Music" sing-along tour in Salzburg hosted by Charmain herself.  Watching the clip of the actual tour that she hosted, I saw how much she still enjoyed being associated with the movie and really didn't mind at all that that was what people remembered her for, unlike Christopher Plummer, who for decades made it plain that he HATED that movie and did everything he could do to distance himself from it.  It's only been more recently that he's made peace with the fact that many people still see him as Georg Von Trapp.

Edited by legaleagle53
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, BW Manilowe said:

Charmian Carr's sister is/was TV actress Darleen Carr, who's probably best known as 1 of the daughters in Danny Thomas' classic shows Make Room for Daddy & Make Room for Granddaddy. I think 1 took the name "Carr" from the other, but I forget who did it. Also, regarding use of the family name "Farnon" in acting I believe there's an actor or actress named Shannon Farnon who's part of the same family, but I don't know how they're related.

Angela Cartwright and Sherry Jackson were the daughters on Make Room For Daddy.

• Love 1