Type keyword(s) to search

In Memoriam: Entertainment Industry Celebrity Deaths

Message added by Mr. Sparkle,

Reminder:

This thread is for deaths of celebrities in the entertainment business only. No notices about politicians, please. 

• Start Topic

Yelchin's mum is an artist.  I don't know what his father is doing, but I don't see any reason to think either one of them is rich.   They've lost their son's future.   Fiat Chrysler Jeep whatever have all been making vehicles for so long they should be able to do it right or pay up for doing it wrong.

• Love 9
2 minutes ago, atomationage said:

Yelchin's mum is an artist.  I don't know what his father is doing, but I don't see any reason to think either one of them is rich.   They've lost their son's future.   Fiat Chrysler Jeep whatever have all been making vehicles for so long they should be able to do it right or pay up for doing it wrong.

Good post, simple and to the point.  I agree. 

• Love 3
On 5/25/2016 at 4:32 PM, UYI said:

Christine Cavanaugh (a voice actress--she did the voice of Chuckie on Rugrats)

I know it's late to chime in on this - but I think she was even better known as the voice of Babe the pig.

• Love 1
(edited)

Regarding a potential lawsuit against Jeep over Anton Yelchin's death, if Jeep knew that there was something wrong with the car and they neither said nor did anything about it, then as far as I'm concerned, the Yelchins not only have the right to sue, they should take them for every cent they've got, or at least as much as possible. Innocent people have been hurt and in Anton Yelchin's case, killed because of Jeep's actions and Jeep should be punished.

Had Jeep bothered to spend the time and the money to fix what's wrong before putting the recalled Jeeps on the market, they wouldn't be getting sued in the first place.  The Yelchins might have lost their only child because of Jeep's criminal negligence and while suing Jeep won't bring him back, it'll make damn sure that Jeep will never hurt another family like this again and if it means Jeep going bankrupt, then so be it. 

Edited by DollEyes
  • Love 4
13 minutes ago, DollEyes said:

Had Jeep bothered to spend the time and the money to fix what's wrong before putting the recalled Jeeps on the market, they wouldn't be getting sued in the first place.

Issues that become recalls are discovered AFTER the car is in use.  It is costly to do a recall so they would prefer all their autos work as intended straight off the assembly line. They don't let something slide in hopes it won't become a future problem.

• Love 1
On ‎6‎/‎20‎/‎2016 at 5:21 PM, Cobalt Stargazer said:

I would think they'd be able to. Once with this kind of thing is an accident. Two is a terrible mistake. But forty? FFS.

I've put on my "journalist hat" and done some research on this issue. Yes, Fiat-Chrysler was probably very aware of this problem with their Jeeps.
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-fiat-chrysler-lawsuit-idUSKCN0Z92JB

Furthermore, GM failed to recall and repair cars with deadly ignition problems because it would have cost around a dollar per vehicle (a mere drop in the bucket for a billion dollar corporation like GM).
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/04/02/gm-ignition-switch-dollar-per-car_n_5075680.html

And car manufacturers are not the only guilty parties. Car dealerships may also be selling faulty vehicles (some knowingly, some not).
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/cbs-news-undercover-investigation-used-cars-safety-recalls/

I'm reading that Anton Yelchin died within a minute. A minute too long I must say. I can't imagine the terror and agony he must have gone through. And tragically, he is now a very public face to a very important issue that has been ignored for far too long and hurt and killed far too many people. Just makes me shake my fist over corporate malfeasance and greed.

• Love 5

Let's all put our journalist hats on!  Fiat has been in business since 1899.  Chrysler since 1925, and Jeep since 1941.  (Interestingly enough, or not, Fiat and Chrysler both bought out already existing companies at those dates.)  One of them should have come up with an instruction book on How To Make A Car That Doesn't Kill You, maybe For Dumbells, or Idiots,  by now.  

• Love 4

As wings707 said,  recalls are expensive and companies would rather have cars that work.  However,  there will always be unforseen issues that come up that the companies have a legal responsibility to correct.  What I don't understand is how noone looked at this bad design and said "this us not good!". It truely was an accident waiting to happen!  That design never should have made it past the drawing board.

• Love 1

Automakers are notorious for not correcting foreseeable problems with a better design or known problems with a recall because it's cheaper not to do so than to pay out litigation costs, settlements and/or jury awards for people who get killed or injured because of the flaw. The Ford Pinto is the most egregious example, but the GM ignition issue and now Jeep's funky ass gear-shift show that the cost-benefit analysis is alive and well. Drivers are dead, though.

• Love 1
(edited)

I liked that he took his stage name "Bud" from Budweiser beer and "Spencer" from his favorite actor, Spencer Tracy.  RIP, Mr. Spencer.

Edited by Ohwell
  • Love 1
On 6/25/2016 at 3:50 PM, Willowsmom said:

We had a pre Chrysler Jeep and they knew how to make a great car. It's been since Chrysler things have gone down hill.

We  did too, and it was a well made tank that lived many years.  

Automakers are notorious for not correcting foreseeable problems with a better design or known problems with a recall because it's cheaper not to do so than to pay out litigation costs, settlements and/or jury awards for people who get killed or injured because of the flaw.

Apparently they all perform a cost/benefit analysis to determine what will cost them more money - litigation or recall. There have been many times they went with litigation. It was much cheaper for them to pay out the lawsuits, then recall a large number of calls, by many millions.

Disgusting. The execs who made those decisions should be charged with murder.

• Love 5
(edited)
35 minutes ago, St. Claire said:

Pat Summit, legendary Lady Vols basketball coach, has lost her battle with early onset dementia/Alzheimer's Disease. 

Sad to hear about Mrs. Summit's passing from such a wretched condition. However; I do take some comfort that she DID get to spend the last day or so with family, friends and former players  visiting her to tell her how much she meant to them. Even if she didn't know who they were or why they were there; I think having folks being around expressing affection had to be far better than the fate of all-too-many Alzheimer's patients of being left alone in empty rooms to rot because no one is sure what to say or wants to see them in that condition.

I can't say I follow sports that closely but I greatly admire the facts that she almost singlehandedly turned a very neglected sport (college women's basketball) into something folks considered worthy of widespread acclaim(not just her own University's team) AND that she made sure every single one of her players actually COMPLETED their college educations in spite of sometimes incredible odds and obstacles. RIP and I hope &pray that your memories and health have been restored to you in the world beyond.

Edited by Blergh
clarification
  • Love 12
(edited)

Wow, what a lot of loss to the world of sports at once! 

As I said in another thread, I absolutely loved watching the Lady Vols play under Pat Summitt's coaching.  What she did for women's sports!  And both she and Buddy Ryan inspired such a lasting devotion, respect, and true affection in so many of their former players.  In the 30 for 30 about the '85 Bears, watching Mike Singletary and other defensive players who'd written the letter to Halas that saved Ryan's job in 1981 read the letter Ryan wrote thanking them was very emotional.  As was reading yesterday how many former Vols flew to Summitt's bedside this weekend.

But, honestly, I'm relieved for both of them.  Terribly sad for their families and other loved ones, of course, but both have been in such poor health that was only going to get worse -- for them, I'm glad the suffering is over.

Edited by Bastet

First music, now sports.   I am really afraid what 2016 will do next.

Lost 2 real legends today.   Pat Summit showed girls you can be into sports and successful.   Buddy Ryan was a damn fine defensive coordinator.   And a helluva character.

• Love 1
15 hours ago, HalcyonDays said:

Apparently they all perform a cost/benefit analysis to determine what will cost them more money - litigation or recall. There have been many times they went with litigation. It was much cheaper for them to pay out the lawsuits, then recall a large number of calls, by many millions.

Disgusting. The execs who made those decisions should be charged with murder.

Murder would require a specific intent to cause death.  This at best would be recklessness, which would make it a charge of involuntary manslaughter at the most.

20 hours ago, legaleagle53 said:

Murder would require a specific intent to cause death.  This at best would be recklessness, which would make it a charge of involuntary manslaughter at the most.

18 hours ago, Willowsmom said:

Would it not be specific intent if they know  it will cause death and release a car anyway?

There are some jurisdictions where recklessness or even negligence that displays a "callous disregard for human life," can be construed as intent and could bump up what would otherwise be an involuntary manslaughter charge into second-degree murder. It's not used a lot, though, and in terms of bringing criminal charges against a corporation, which is pretty rare in and of itself, it probably doesn't make a lot of difference since a criminal conviction against a corporation would only result in fines and not prison time for anyone. It's doubtful that specific employees or officers of the company would be criminally charged because there would be multiple defendants and the defense for each would likely be, "the other dude did it," making it extremely difficult to meet the reasonable doubt standard on any one defendant, absent some really damning memo or something that could pin down exactly who made the decision to let unsafe cars or other products onto the market.

Issues like that become recalls only AFTER the car is in use. it is costly to do a recall so they would prefer all their autos work straight off the assembly line. They don't let something slide in hopes it won't become a future problem.

I respectfully disagree. If Jeep had done it right the first time, there probably wouldn't be a problem in the first place. Anton Yelchin's death is the latest example of a huge corporation allegedly putting profits over people. If a company is selling cars/trucks/SUVs and/or jeeps, it's not only their job to make sure they're safe, if it's not, then they should pay for it.

Like Muhammed Ali's death, Pat Summit and Buddy Ryan's deaths are both a loss to the world in general and the sports world in particular. Both coaches made huge contributions to their sports and their players, on many levels. 

RIP, Pat & Buddy. 

• Love 3

Bassist Rob Wasserman Has Died

Just hours after Bob Weir shared the news bassist Rob Wasserman was battling serious health issues, comes word Wasserman has died. RatDog guitarist Mark Karan first revealed Rob had passed on with Weir confirming the news shortly thereafter.

Rob Wasserman is best known for his long tenure alongside Weir as a founding member of RatDog as well as the pair’s Bob Weir & Rob Wasserman project. Wasserman was a member of RatDog from the group’s mid ’90s formation through 2002 and then again from 2010 to their most recent performances. He also collaborated with a wide range of legendary musicians including David Grisman, Van Morrison, Neil Young, Aaron Neville, Lou Reed, Rickie Lee Jones, Metallica and Elvis Costello.

RIP. I haven't seen any of his other movies, but that one was great. Also, I believe that Christopher Lee called it his favourite, of his own work.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Rick Kitchen said:

Author and Holocaust survivor Elie Wiesel has died at 87.

I read Night ages ago when I was in college, and it wrecked me for weeks. I hope that Mr. Wiesel has finally managed to reunite with the mother and sister he was separated from for so many years. Rest in peace, sir, you've more than earned it.

• Love 6
17 minutes ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

I read Night ages ago when I was in college, and it wrecked me for weeks. I hope that Mr. Wiesel has finally managed to reunite with the mother and sister he was separated from for so many years. Rest in peace, sir, you've more than earned it.

I hope his father and wife are there as well.

• Love 2

I remember seeing the orignal Superman TV show, although I believe it was already in syndication by the time I was born.  Not only did Ms. Neill have the part of Lois Lane down perfectly according to both Golden Age and Silver Age standards (thus setting the bar for all future Lois Lanes), but she also had a memorable cameo in the first Superman movie as the aunt of that version's Lois Lane.  How's that for coming full circle?

• Love 4
7 hours ago, praeceptrix said:

Tuskegee Airman Dr. Roscoe C. Brown has died.

I've had the honor to meet Dr. Brown, and a number of his fellow Tuskegee Airmen on a number of occasions at the air museum where I'm a volunteer back on Long Island.  He was a gentleman, and true American hero.

• Love 14
18 hours ago, legaleagle53 said:

I remember seeing the orignal Superman TV show, although I believe it was already in syndication by the time I was born.  Not only did Ms. Neill have the part of Lois Lane down perfectly according to both Golden Age and Silver Age standards (thus setting the bar for all future Lois Lanes), but she also had a memorable cameo in the first Superman movie as the aunt of that version's Lois Lane.  How's that for coming full circle?

Always liked her answer to folks who asked her how it was that Lois couldn't tell Clark was the Supe in glasses- " I don't want to lose my job!". Fly high, Miss Neill!

• Love 8