Type keyword(s) to search

In Memoriam: Entertainment Industry Celebrity Deaths

Message added by Mr. Sparkle,

Reminder:

This thread is for deaths of celebrities in the entertainment business only. No notices about politicians, please. 

• Start Topic

(edited)

George Voinovich, longtime Ohio politician - and one of the most beloved - died today at 79.  He was expected to have a role at the RNC.  Because of course, he lifted Cleveland from default & began the resurgence of downtown, left Ohio with $1B in their coffers.

Yet stll lived in the same house he bought in 1972, was married over 50 years, and drove a 10 year old car.

He was a politician that didn't behave like one.

Edited by roamyn
  • Love 1
On 6/11/2016 at 10:34 AM, ABay said:

I've lost track of the days. Did Gordie die after game 5 was played? If so, I wonder if there will be a tribute tomorrow before game 6.

Yeah, game 5 was Thursday, and Gordie died Friday.

She could do live-action comedy as well.  One of my favorite episodes of I Love Lucy was the one where she played Peggy, a 16-year-old neighbor of the Ricardos who had a huge crush on Ricky, which Lucy found quite amusing -- until Peggy's own boyfriend (played by a very young Richard Crenna) developed his own crush on Lucy!

• Love 1
3 hours ago, legaleagle53 said:

She could do live-action comedy as well.  One of my favorite episodes of I Love Lucy was the one where she played Peggy, a 16-year-old neighbor of the Ricardos who had a huge crush on Ricky, which Lucy found quite amusing -- until Peggy's own boyfriend (played by a very young Richard Crenna) developed his own crush on Lucy!

Oh my gosh, that means Janet Waldo was over 30 when she played that 16-year-old.  Never would have guessed it.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Inquisitionist said:

Oh my gosh, that means Janet Waldo was over 30 when she played that 16-year-old.  Never would have guessed it.

Not only was she over 30, she was also seven months pregnant at the time.  That's why she always wore an overcoat in her scenes.

Janet Waldo, the voice of Judy Jetson, dies at 96

NOOOOOOOOO!!!

I always remembered her work as a VA - as Judy Jetson, Josie, from Josie & ThePussycats, Penelope Pitstop, and many others.  I remember seeing youtube vid of her at  Comic Con a few years back and she could still do the Judy Jetson voice on cue!!  That girl still had it in spades!!

The only two VAs from that era of HB left are June Foray (who's 98!) and Frank Welker (age 70).  

• Love 2

Ronnie Claire Edwards who played Corabeth Godsey on the Waltons passed away at the age of 83 on June 14, 2016.

I am heartbroken at this news.   She nailed the role of the uptight, attepting to be sophisticated Mrs. Godsey like no one's business.    When JimBob called her out on it one day she pointed out it was her way of coping with living in a rural mountain village and maybe making it a little better place to live.   Jim Bob apologized.

• Love 5

Ronnie Claire Edwards and Ann Morgan Guilbert !   Sad to lose them. Both made their shows much more fun than otherwise. I wonder if they ever met? Please be careful, Katherine MacGregor!

Here is the obituary for Ann Morgan Guilbert, best known as Rob & Laura Petrie's neighbor, Millie Helper, on The Dick Van Dyke Show & as Fran's Aunt Yetta on The Nanny.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/ann-morgan-guilbert-dead-dick-903319

Interesting fact I picked up on Ronnie Claire Edwards from 1 of the Tweets about her passing to hit my feed: She sold her home in LA to Flea of The Red Hot Chili Peppers (she was living in Dallas at the time of her death & had been living there for a number of years).

Also, I had the great pleasure of doing some March of Dimes promotional work in Detroit, back in the early 1970's, with Gordie  Howe (I was their 1972 National Poster Girl). He was everything you'd hope for, in the nicest possible way, & more, as far as his attitude toward me whenever we were together. We even maintained enough of a connection that, when I ended up in a children's hospital in Houston a few years later for surgery that couldn't be done at/closer to home, he found out I was there (I don't remember how, other than I know we didn't tell him I would be) & came to visit me (this was when he was playing with the Houston Aeros in the old WHA).

• Love 3

I love this from an old interview, referenced in The Hollywood Reporter's Ronnie Claire Edwards obituary, regarding her role on The Waltons:

''I'd be on the up escalator in a store and the people on the down would be shouting, 'We hate you.' I sure had the best role," Edwards said in a 1993 interview. "Because of all that treacle, what was needed was another spice. It was a fantastic part, the best character in the show. People still remember, 'No credit, Mr. Godsey,' and that just delights me. I am very fond of Corabeth.''

She also played Charlene's mom on Designing Women.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, BW Manilowe said:

Here is either the actual pic, or at least the link to it, from 1 of the times Gordie Howe & I did March of Dimes promotional work together in Detroit. I'm standing on the table & Gordie's next to me, on the right side of the pic. It's from January, 1972, when I was 8 1/2 years old.

http://detroitnews.mycapture.com/mycapture/enlarge.asp?image=39098626&event=1370824&CategoryID=0

You were a cute kid. :)

And RIP, Grandma Yetta! She was great on The Nanny.

• Love 2

So sad about Ann Morgan Guilbert.  I remember when they made the Dick Van Dyke reunion show and she picked up playing Millie again as if she hadn't stopped for 45 years.  

• Love 7

Author Lois Duncan passed away.

I heard a nice piece about her on NPR Thursday, and cracked up at an old interview clip of her recounting her experience watching the film adaptation of I Know What You Did Last Summer and wondering what the hell happened to her story.  "There was no guy with a hook!"

• Love 6

I was cleaning my shelf yesterday that I keep my Lois Duncan books on and thinking it had been a long time since I read them and that I want to read them again. I really loved her books back in the day, I have all of them. They were all so twisted and wrong, lol.

• Love 1

I guess there's no forum for Animal Cops...don't know about "celebrity" but it seems that George Bengal, whom I remember seeing on Animal Cops Philadelphia, was much loved here and did good work.  George Bengal dies at 69 

(The above link is an interview with Bengal, but there's another link about his death to the right).

• Love 1

:-( looks like the 27 club just inducted a new member.  What a shame.  I liked Anton as Chekov.  He was also in a little seen movie Like Crazy that was very good too.

And Prince Be too!  Stop 2016, just stop.

• Love 1

Truly heartbreaking news. Anton Yelchin was as talented as he was adorable. He made a great Chekov, but one of his best roles was in 2007's Alpha Dog, the crime drama he made with Justin Timberlake. 

Prince Be's death is another loss. P.M. Dawn had many great songs, but my favorite was "I'd Die Without You" from Boomerang, which IMO should have gotten an Oscar nom for Best Original Song. 

RIP, Anton & Prince Be. 

• Love 5

I had to Google who the heck he was. 

I imagine of they make another Star Trek movie they'll recast, although it's also not that far out of line for Chekov to have simply been promoted/transfered off the Enterprise to another ship. Remember this is a character who wasn't even IN all of the original show episodes.

And it's still only June.  We haven't even reached the halfway point of 2016 yet.  Still, between this stuff and the trainwreck that is our Presidential election season, can't we just skip the next 6 1/2 months and go straight to January 2017 already?

• Love 3

Seeing this made me sad inside. I didn't see much of his work, but his name is unique to the North American audience enough that I've recognized it. The first thing I saw him in was Criminal Minds all those years ago. It does suck, especially the way his accident happened. Being pinned in between his own car and his security gate is just an awful way to go. It sounds like it was a complete accident and he might have accidentally left his car in neutral and it rolled down his driveway (a steep incline) and just killed him. And being 27 years old, he was certainly reaching that peak in his career. 

• Love 1