Type keyword(s) to search

In Memoriam: Entertainment Industry Celebrity Deaths

Message added by Mr. Sparkle,

Reminder:

This thread is for deaths of celebrities in the entertainment business only. No notices about politicians, please. 

• Start Topic

Okay, all death is sad and I was really surprised by David Bowie earlier this week but Alan Rickman just floored me. This is a real shock, I have no idea why this is so much more upsetting, but I can't seem to comprehend this one. So sad, what a incredibly talented actor.

I think because David was always of another world, his genius was so off the charts. Not to mention him & Iman were probably the universe's most beautiful couple. Someday, his home planet was going to call him home.

Alan, was a star, but a star on Earth.

I liked alot of Bowie's music, but wasn't a massive fan, I loved everything Mr. Rickman has done.

• Love 6

I've written up half a dozen posts trying to express my feelings on Alan Rickman's death.  None are right, yet they all are.

I'd say, pick your favorite Alan Rickman film and watch it today.  But, really, how can one choose just one?

Edited by Demented Daisy
  • Love 6

No.... Not Alan Rickman....I love that man to death....So amazing and talented...RIP, Sir...

14033_600.jpg

That made me tear up.

Bowie and Alan Rickman in the same week. This sucks. I love him as Professor Snape and i really loved him in Sense and sensibility. RIP

Well, damn. This news is just heartbreaking for me today. Such a great, great actor. It's a tough week to be 69 with a cancer diagnosis evidently. A cancer diagnosis is never good but to have two icons lost in the same week is just......too much!

• Love 5

This one is just an absolute gut punch for me. He was such an incredible actor and no matter what he was in, it was so hard to keep my eyes off of him while he was on screen. And no one can ever say "page 394" the way he did.

The voice of God is gone.

Dammit, I'll miss you Mr. Rickman.

• Love 5

Oh, I forgot his performance as Alexander Dane in Galaxy Quest. He is absolutely hilarious in that movie. Dammit. He's a guy I rarely thought about, but now I'm realising just how many performances he's given that I have loved.

By Grabthar's hammer.....by the sons of Warvan.....you will be missed, Mr. Rickman.

• Love 7

As if the loss of David Bowie isn't devastating enough, now Alan Rickman dies. The acting world has lost another great voice, in more ways than one.  I'm gonna watch Die Hard again in his honor. It was his first great role that I saw him in, but it definitely wasn't his last, by a long shot.

Because it can never be said enough, FUCK YOU, CANCER!!

RIP, Mr. Rickman.

Edited by DollEyes
  • Love 7

Well, that sucks. What a loss. Fuck.

We were just out of our Harry Potter marathon last week but I think this week-end we're going to watch Sweeney Todd, Die Hard, Dogma and Galaxy Quest in that order because one should always finish something with a laugh.

Edited by Pollock

Okay, all death is sad and I was really surprised by David Bowie earlier this week but Alan Rickman just floored me. This is a real shock, I have no idea why this is so much more upsetting, but I can't seem to comprehend this one. So sad, what a incredibly talented actor.

This is what happened to me as well - David Bowie shocked me, but my jaw went on the floor with Alan Rickman.  Celebrity deaths usually don't affect me that much, but these two really knocked me on my ass.    

• Love 2
That's very sad. I will remember his great humor when Jimmy Fallon did an impression of him to him.

And that was only seven months ago!  He was funny and lovely ...   What a terrible loss.  RIP, Mr. Rickman. 

His reaction to the Fallon and Cumberbatch impersonations :

• Love 4

Because it can never be said enough, FUCK YOU, CANCER!!

Cancer doesn't deserve the pleasure of being fucked.  It needs to be eradicated from the face of the earth the way polio and smallpox were.  And yes, 2016, stop being so greedy with the celebrities I grew up watching and listening to!

• Love 9

I was a casual fan of David Bowie, but I was still surprised and a little sad. But this Alan Rickman business has thrown me for a complete shock. One of my favorite actors. He seemed like a cool guy too. I haven't decided which movie of his to watch when I get home. My DVD options are Sense & Sensibility, Dogma, Love Actually, or the Harry Potter films. Most likely it will be S & S, followed by Dogma. I need to get Die Hard.

I'm so sad!

"Was Wisconsin really that bad?"

"Because it's dull, you twit! It'll hurt more!"

• Love 4

Alan Rickman was one of those actors I really liked, despite not having seen very many of his numerous roles.  I don't like Die Hard, so I haven't seen that since it came out.  I couldn't even make it through Love Actually.  I loved him in Sense and Sensibility, Dogma, and Bob Roberts.  But the rest of his credits, I haven't seen.  And I never watched his interviews or paid any attention to him as a person.  Yet when I read of his death, I thought, "Oh no, I really liked him."

I adore Truly, Madly, Deeply

:'(

That was my first exposure to Alan Rickman, and I have loved him ever since. My two favorite Alan Rickman movies are Sense and Sensibility (Colonel Brandon was always the best choice) and Galaxy Quest. "By Grabthar's hammer, by the suns of Warvan, you shall be avenged!"

Edited by MargeGunderson
  • Love 3
The poor man suffered for so long!!

This is awful, I freely acknowledge, but when I first read this I thought you meant he suffered being married to Celine Dion.  Then I realized you must have meant he suffered a long illness, so I went Googling (three bouts of throat cancer, the first in 1999 and then again the last couple of years).

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 2
The first thing I ever saw him in was 1982's Barchester Chronicles,  A million well-known British actors and his performance as the vile Slope lept off the screen.

Me too!  Boy is that still good, it still holds up, other than looking a wee bit dated.  I need to throw in Dogma this weekend.  

Franco Citti has passed as well. What a week we are having.  

Celine has got to be beside herself with grief right now. By her own admission, Rene is literally the ONLY man she has EVER been involved with in her life, not to mention that they first met when she was 12 (and he was 38--which is definitely weird). Still, I've ALWAYS gotten the feeling that their love for each other was very real, especially on her side, and she's always struck me as a wonderful person with a big heart. I'm definitely thinking about her right now.

And as someone who openly likes "My Heart Will Go On", I will be bawling if I see her perform that again in the near future. That song really does fit her and Rene. :( 

• Love 7

This is awful, I freely acknowledge, but when I first read this I thought you meant he suffered being married to Celine Dion.  Then I realized you must have meant he suffered a long illness, so I went Googling (three bouts of throat cancer, the first in 1999 and then again the last couple of years.)

Sorry, I can understand the confusion.  My statement was poorly worded & assumed everyone knew about his long fight with throat cancer.  Thanks.

Ugh, what a way to start the year. I hadn't really followed David Bowie's career since the 80's, but it was still sad to lose a great talent. Alan Rickman was a real shocker. I loved him as Snape; he turned Rowling's mean ugly teacher into a sexy tragic hero. I was fortunate to see him twice on Broadway. I'll never forget his Elliott in Private Lives in 2002. He handled Noel Coward's sarcastic dialogue brilliantly--no surprise there--but he had quite the knack for slapstick as well. The other play, Seminar, was less impressive--I thought of it as "Professor Snape teaches creative writing"--but Rickman was still fun to watch.

Brian Bedford wasn't as well known, but I followed his career with interest. I crushed on him way back in 1966 when he played a race car driver in Grand Prix. I loved his Lady Bracknell in The Importance of Being Ernest.

I'm just stunned by the news of Alan Rickman's passing. I spent a good 5 minutes scouring the internet in heavy denial, hoping that it was another celebrity death hoax and Mr Rickman would be posting a lovely witty British comeback... but no. It's "Love, Actually" for me this weekend. It's usually part of my Christmas movie marathon, but I didn't get around to it this year. 

• Love 3