Type keyword(s) to search

Party of One: Unpopular TV Opinions

• Start Topic

Hey guys, I've been watching House and I gotta ask: Having Chase as my favorite character is an UO?

I loved Chase! You're not alone, although I don't remember if that was popular or not, I do remember a lot of ragging on Cameron.

• Love 6
(edited)

paramitch wrote:

I'm disappointed in the show's female characters (no matter how wonderful the actresses are, they're pretty damselly so far),

Just wait--there's one that will end up surprising you.  I don't know of anyone yet who didn't gasp and say "OMG, they went there!"  :)

Edited by Shannon L.
  • Love 1
Chase was also my favorite character on House.

I'm even more unpopular here--Chase was actually the ONLY character on that show who I liked on any level. My least favorite was the titular House. I hold the unpopular opinion of outright loathing him despite my fondness for Hugh Laurie. 

• Love 4

Firefly UOs:

1) The show really should have stopped having the characters burst out with random Chinese phrases...and, while they were at it, cut the forced, old timey western, how-many-times-can-we-say-"ain't"-per-episode slang as well. I get that the dialogue was supposed to reflect the merging of different cultures, but more often than not it was just cringe inducing. 

2) Eveything about Inara and the Inara/Mal will/they/won't they pairing was the worst. 

3) The forced Simon/Kaylee pairing, though, was almost as bad.

4) Simon and Zoe were my two favorite characters of the whole series. By far! 

• Love 2

Just found this topic (working remote and cannot deal with work - after a wonderful 12+ hour day yesterday - thankfully, it's slow today!!). 

I cannot stand Amy on The Big Bang Theory.  Some shows are meh, some really make me laugh, but cannot stand that character.

I cannot stand the way on special sporting events, the hype and then the (cue the violin or latest pop music love/sympathetic song) we get the up close and personal (sob story) segment.  Plus the fact that the pre show starts hours before the actual event. 

I cannot stand the way some hosts of reality competition shows (looking at you Seacrest) are now really pompous asses and they act like their show - THIS EPISODE!!!! - is equal to the cure for cancer or peace in our time.

I cannot stand the way DWTS finale is hyped up.  Ok, so a former A/B lister or current D lister is competing for a trophy?  How is this a big deal?  Actually, the competition that takes an unknown is a bigger deal (just not the end of the world as they like to hype it).

I cannot stand Jim Carrey.  I know this is mainly a tv thread, but his movies do appear on tv.

I liked Roseanne, the first few years.  As someone said, as soon as Dan got the bike shop and I think as soon as Arnie came on the show, it went downhill.  It's like she got meaner as her face got less full.  I also liked the earlier MASH shows, the later years not so much.

I kinda like Lucy and Raymond.  A few laughs for me - a few.  Lucy would be exhausting in real life.  She's either trying to earn money, cover up a mistake, or get in the show.  Just let her in that damned show already.    I won't stop to watch either on reruns.

I loved the Dark Shadows tv shows, both of them (from the 1960's and the NBC prime time one).  I don't think they gave the prime time show a chance.  The movie stunk so badly.

I hate what the History Channels are programming now.  It's not really history.  They had to get on board the reality train.  Give me some shows about the revolutionary war, the civil war, the presidents, the settlers, crime in the us - just not the garbage that is on 80 to 90% of the time now.

I do like some of the daytime judge shows - just to laugh at the idiots who have no clue how the law is actually supposed to work.   (My favorite - the guy who was in an accident - his fault - who brought to court a picture of a drug store's parking lot security camera.  Did he have the film from that camera - nope.  Somehow he thought the judge could pull that film up - the accident was from month's prior).

• Love 3

I hate what the History Channels are programming now. It's not really history. They had to get on board the reality train. Give me some shows about the revolutionary war, the civil war, the presidents, the settlers, crime in the us - just not the garbage that is on 80 to 90% of the time now.

Word! And Animal Planet is catching up with History in the "Programming irrelevant to the topic of our network" department. It's so disappointing

• Love 10
(edited)

Smallville UO:

I liked Lana Lang. And loved Lana Luthor.

Lana started out so genuinely sweet and gentle, and then that hardened into a mask. I loved watching that transformation, it was so uncomfortably believable/inevitable. I also loved how her beauty was a kind of curse, not just because people kept deciding they were "in love" with her and trying to trap/control her as though she were a trophy or a toy, but also because her beauty was the only thing that anyone seemed to see or value about her at all -- who she actually was as a person was by-and-large irrelevant. Or, even if some people theoretically wanted to know who she really was as an individual, virtually nobody seemed to be able to look past the assumptions they made based on her looks and actually see her regardless.

I liked her with Lex, because he dealt with pretty similar things. They both struggled to figure out how true the assumptions people made about them were (and eventually, tried to take advantage of those assumptions as best they could!), seemed terrified that they were doomed to be alone and powerless, seemed to feel like freaks and outsiders but not for any easily explicable (or ~extraterrestrial~ or ~meteor freak~) reason, seemed bewildered and overwhelmed by the emotions they brought out in others (from what I remember, just about every character had virtually baseless ~love~ for Lana and virtually baseless hate for Lex), and both gradually became angry and bitter as hell. They were very similar characters in a lot of ways imo, and I loved them both. And the more similar they became, the more I loved them, too.

Kristen Kruek was also a great casting choice, imo. She's got a sort of quietness, thoughtfulness, and bookishness to her that made the Lana a lot more interesting than she could have been.

Edited by rue721
  • Love 5
And loved Lana Luthor.

Does this mean you share my UO re. liking the sixth season of that show?! 

I may have liked Lois less than I liked Lana, which is a very UO :) 

I hate myself for liking that show so much more than I should!

• Love 2

Totally agree with the ways History Channel has gone away from the central premise of its brand.

I'm even more annoyed -- to this day -- at the way A&E has done it. I mean, I used to really like their programming, but now, what in the world about A&E is remotely related to A&E? It's all just reality trash now. And I mean, really trashy reality trash.

• Love 6

Smallville UO:

I liked Lana Lang. And loved Lana Luthor.

Does this mean you share my UO re. liking the sixth season of that show?! 

I may have liked Lois less than I liked Lana, which is a very UO :) 

I hate myself for liking that show so much more than I should!

I am going to take my reply to the Smallville forum's Unpopular Opinions as this does bring some stuff I've been holding in.

• Love 1

I hate what the History Channels are programming now.  It's not really history.  They had to get on board the reality train.  Give me some shows about the revolutionary war, the civil war, the presidents, the settlers, crime in the us - just not the garbage that is on 80 to 90% of the time now.

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only who misses the actual history on the history channel. There were so many different eras and history they could have done in the US and other countries. I don't know if anyone watches Who do you think you are on TLC. But there's many times things come up that I think the History Channel could have done a show on.

• Love 3

I cannot stand the way on special sporting events, the hype and then the (cue the violin or latest pop music love/sympathetic song) we get the up close and personal (sob story) segment.  Plus the fact that the pre show starts hours before the actual event. 

I know, ESPN messed up by making their college football pre-game show 3 hours. It's way too long. If I watch, it's usually about the last 15-20 minutes to watch the picks. Slight UO for me, I don't mind the Lee Corso mascot head shtick.

Word! And Animal Planet is catching up with History in the "Programming irrelevant to the topic of our network" department. It's so disappointing

What happened to Too Cute!, Dogs/Cats 101, and shows like that? The TV listings for this evening are Flipping Ships and The Pool Master, which don't have a damn thing to do with animals.

• Love 3

A&E used to be Arts & Entertainment - they brought classy programs over, like the 90s version of Pride & Prejudice.  They were also the Law & Order channel.

Bravo used to be elegant, with lush historical dramatic series imported from the UK.  History used to do History programming, as well as the original Biography program, with biographies of people who weren't celebrities.  TLC used to be The Learning Channel, with educational and informative programming instead of the current freak shows.  SyFy used to be SciFi, and they showed all the itty-bitty SF series that were launched and shattered (like clay pigeons) over the preceding decades.

Now I get good programming from Prime and Hulu (not ready to spend on Netflix yet).  Hulu recommended a couple of dozen series, 18 of which interest me.  None of the cable networks have offered anything that interests me for years (apart from Deadliest Catch).

• Love 2
(edited)

A&E used to be Arts & Entertainment - they brought classy programs over, like the 90s version of Pride & Prejudice.  They were also the Law & Order channel.

Bravo used to be elegant, with lush historical dramatic series imported from the UK.  History used to do History programming, as well as the original Biography program, with biographies of people who weren't celebrities.  TLC used to be The Learning Channel, with educational and informative programming instead of the current freak shows.  SyFy used to be SciFi, and they showed all the itty-bitty SF series that were launched and shattered (like clay pigeons) over the preceding decades.

Now I get good programming from Prime and Hulu (not ready to spend on Netflix yet).  Hulu recommended a couple of dozen series, 18 of which interest me.  None of the cable networks have offered anything that interests me for years (apart from Deadliest Catch).

I too remember the original programming of these channels, watching them in the 90's and it's sad that they switched off like they did.  I also remember when BBC America had programs on like Changing Rooms and there was a gardening show and the original What Not To Wear.  

But, either people stopped watching, or the shows became too expensive to put on.  I know TNT bought L&O from Bravo; I think a lot of those classy and elegant programs wound up on Netflix, Hulu and Amazon Prime.

Edited by Neurochick
  • Love 1

I've seen A&E mentioned before, but never knew that it was 'Arts & Entertainment'...over here, A&E would stand for Accident and Emergency (i.e. an ER), and somehow I just assumed that the A&E channel was broadcasting along those lines!

• Love 2

What happened to Too Cute!, Dogs/Cats 101, and shows like that? The TV listings for this evening are Flipping Ships and The Pool Master, which don't have a damn thing to do with animals.

That's a real head-scratcher. The only reason I can come up with is that while building stuff for people who have more money than they need and a compulsion to show off that fact, they do it in places where animals just might occasionally be. Other than that I got nothin'.

I was dismayed when Animal Planet started showing shows about mermaids, vampires and werewolves.

(edited)

I don't mind women as love interests.  My biggest issue is that love interests (regardless of gender) are often written as clueless, if not outright stupid, despite the fact that they are supposed to know their respective partner/spouse better than most. But if it comes down to it, I will take a smart love interest who may be intermittently "damseled" over a dumb woman with "agency" any day of the week, and twice on Sunday.  

Edited by ribboninthesky1
  • Love 5

All this talk about what A&E and the History Channel used to be reminds me of the decline of another, if slightly less classy or high-brow, network: E! (the exclamation point should ALWAYS be there). The Kardashians really have destroyed what was once a fun network dedicated both to modern entertainment and enteratinment history.

Which leads me to this UO:

The old school E! True Hollywood Story is one of my favorite shows of all time. Whether it was a classy look at classic shows (Bewitched, All in the Family), episodes filled with celebrity dirt (Three's Company, Eight is Enough), the story of the downfall of one star or another (Dana Plato, Mackenzie Phillips--although in the latter's case, it was her downfall and then her rise back up), or straight-up trashy gold (Baywatch) --I lived for this show in middle school. Just the biggest guilty pleasure you could ever imagine. They are NOT the same anymore. 

• Love 7

A&E used to be Arts & Entertainment - they brought classy programs over, like the 90s version of Pride & Prejudice. They were also the Law & Order channel.

Bravo used to be elegant, with lush historical dramatic series imported from the UK. History used to do History programming, as well as the original Biography program, with biographies of people who weren't celebrities. TLC used to be The Learning Channel, with educational and informative programming instead of the current freak shows.

I get those things from PBS & Ovation now.

I miss Style—they showed Made in Chelsea. (I'm such an Anglophile I watch UK & Irish shows I'd never, ever watch if they were North American.)

The old school E! True Hollywood Story is one of my favorite shows of all time. Whether it was a classy look at classic shows (Bewitched, All in the Family), episodes filled with celebrity dirt (Three's Company, Eight is Enough), the story of the downfall of one star or another (Dana Plato, Mackenzie Phillips--although in the latter's case, it was her downfall and then her rise back up), or straight-up trashy gold (Baywatch) --I lived for this show in middle school. Just the biggest guilty pleasure you could ever imagine. They are NOT the same anymore. 

Yep! Where the hell is my E! True Hollywood Story on Grey's Anatomy? They could do a whole miniseries.

• Love 1

Yep! Where the hell is my E! True Hollywood Story on Grey's Anatomy? They could do a whole miniseries.

The only problem is that at some point, they stopped putting any effort into making them. It's been about a decade since they've been any good.

And they got rid of the old theme song! Why?

I just found the THS on Dominique Dunne earlier today on YouTube, the first time I've seen it since the late 90's. That whole story about her murder trial is just maddening.

Not sure if this is the right thread, but I do remember hating The Osbournes when they were on the air.

It wasn't so much the show itself so much that it was the focus of at least 8 minutes out of ever Entertainment Tonight episods, which w/o commercials is 20 or so minutes. I didn't have cable growing up so ET was my celeb news show of choice.

Likewise, I hated that the last two seasons of MADtv made every single schetch on the show a parody of The Hills. The few bits that weren't that were Bobby Lee in drag doing obnoxious shit, which....no.

I don't think Tom Brady is particularly handsome. I'm not saying he's Quasimodo or anything, but I don't get all the hoopla.

I wish I could like this ∞ times.

I don't think Tom Brady is particularly handsome. I'm not saying he's Quasimodo or anything, but I don't get all the hoopla.

I thought when he was younger he was worth the hoopla, but he is not aging well. Sad, because he is nowhere near old.

UO: That every discussion on every TV forum leads back to Buffy and/or Angel. I was not a fan of either show.

Well it makes sense. Buffy was one of the first successful vampire TV shows. It mad Joss Whedon a household name. Add to that even 20 years later the Willow/Tara relationship is on many lesbians top ten lists.

Well it makes sense. Buffy was one of the first successful vampire TV shows. It mad Joss Whedon a household name. Add to that even 20 years later the Willow/Tara relationship is on many lesbians top ten lists.

I've still never mustered enough interest to watch either.

• Love 9

I think many fans of many TV shows can find reasons to always bring the discussion back to their favorite TV show. LOST and Breaking Bad were considered groundbreakers to an extent too. Difference, I actually like those shows, and they are only mentioned in totally unrelated TV forums once every two weeks. That is still too many. But Buffy and Angel is mentioned on a regular basis somewhere, and I start to wonder what it really being discussed.  I realize that my UO is truly is an unpopular opinion though.

• Love 8
(edited)

Here's mine:

I never watched Lost...and didn't want to; and I find some of the shows I watch, always, always come around to talking about that show just because cast members from that show make guest appearances. And then the "Easter Eggs" or the *wink*wink* stuff, that show runners/writers make, assuming every single person on the Earth watched the damn show.

Never watched Friends, either. Shocker, I know. Or that's the look I get from people when I tell them that.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 2
(edited)

I watched the pilot of Lost because entertainment press was in a probably well-orchestrated frenzy over the fact that it was the most expensive TV pilot ever produced. I wasn't hooked or impressed and when the twist happened at the end I just laughed and never came back.

Edited by CoderLady

I feel this way about a lot of supposedly "hot" celebrities.  Channing Tatum comes to mind.

• Love 11

Totally agree with the ways History Channel has gone away from the central premise of its brand.

I'm even more annoyed -- to this day -- at the way A&E has done it. I mean, I used to really like their programming, but now, what in the world about A&E is remotely related to A&E? It's all just reality trash now. And I mean, really trashy reality trash.

But is the network to blame for that one or the audience? If episodes of Duck Dynasty or intervention get way better ratings than whatever else A&E used to play why wouldn't they show that?

• Love 3
(edited)

My UO is that I just saw the series finale of Forever and I'm okay with it not getting a second season, all the questions were answered and the story really ended.  Some shows shouldn't get more than one season.  

Edited by Neurochick
  • Love 1

I don't get "hate watching." I mean I understand the concept, I just think it's a waste of time. Why do it? Just to snark on a show? There's so much negativity out there, I don't want it to inform my TV viewing too.

Also, I have found that fandoms can ruin a show, especially when rabid fans get disgruntled and take to the Interwebz to express their displeasure.

• Love 14

Didn't really like the Kalinda/Alicia friendship on The Good Wife.   Didn't think the Kalinda character was all that bad ass because she wore miniskirts and boots while working in a law office.  Didn't care that Kalinda and Alicia didn't have scenes together for x number of episodes.   And hated how counting those episodes and the wondering when we would get Kalica took over the forums. 

I hate when an actor on a show I'm currently watching gets a part on another series, because then you know the character is going to be written off.  Same for when an actor quits. My UO is, why write the character off when you could recast?  This is the issue I am having with Vampire Diaries due to Nina Dobrev's exit.  To me, ND isn't Elena Gilbert, she is an actress who portrays a character named Elena Gilbert.  I don't care whose face Elena has, I feel that she's necessary for the show and shouldn't be written out just because the actress resigned.