Type keyword(s) to search

Party of One: Unpopular TV Opinions

• Start Topic

22 hours ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

Perfect sense. Sophia was always my favorite on The Golden Girls, but I would despise the hell out of her in real life.

My fave was Rose but I think if I had to deal with her kind of illogical logic in real life, I'd be driven up the wall even more than Dorothy was! 

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
4 hours ago, ifionlyknew said:

Dorothy was my favorite.   Whenever I talk to friends about my life goal of living with other women in my golden years I always say I get to be the Dorothy.

I liked Dorothy too but you have to admit Sophia got a lot of great lines!

I found Bea Arthur much more likeable as Dorothy than when she was on "Maude" (saw the show recently on reruns after hearing so much about it).  I sometimes wonder what would have happened if Maude Findley ever met Dorothy Szbornak?  Dorothy probably would have been "The Archie".

• Love 4
On 8/5/2021 at 3:07 PM, BlackberryJam said:

And, I've never seen, do I ever care to see, an episode of The Golden Girls The only reason I have any knowledge of the show is because I play a lot of trivia. 

Me either. I have a lot of coworkers who are big fans, and they keep nagging at me to watch it. I just . . . don't care. 

• Love 4
On 8/5/2021 at 1:07 PM, BlackberryJam said:

And, I've never seen, do I ever care to see, an episode of The Golden Girls The only reason I have any knowledge of the show is because I play a lot of trivia. 

I watched about 5 minutes of it and failed to see anything remotely entertaining or amusing.

• Love 2
13 hours ago, Zella said:

Me either. I have a lot of coworkers who are big fans, and they keep nagging at me to watch it. I just . . . don't care. 

My mother and my daughter and her cousins were huge fans.  I did see it, and some stuff was pretty funny, but I used to get so annoyed by the inconsistencies (Dorothy and Stan 'having to get married' and being married for 37 years but their kids are in their 20s kind of thing) that is just spoiled it for me.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
14 hours ago, Zella said:

While I've enjoyed the Golden Girls down the decades, your reaction to it is identical to how it's been with me and American Idol from Day One! 

• Love 7
2 hours ago, Blergh said:

While I've enjoyed the Golden Girls down the decades, your reaction to it is identical to how it's been with me and American Idol from Day One! 

I've never gotten the appeal of American Idol either. Or any of the talent competition shows. Lol

• Love 9

I tend to only like the first one or two seasons of a reality show.  II rarely stick with one past the first couple seasons.  The first season is nice because there is no template.  The people who are doing S1 have no idea what to expect so they tend to be a little more raw.  And you don't have an idea what to expect too much.  But by the time the show has been around for the third season the people cast are slicker, they know what to expect, the formula is set and it is not as interesting and even feels pretty fake.

I think back to The Real World NY, the very first Survivor, the first season of American Idol, and The Amazing Race.  How good they were before they got taken over by personalities and people trying to game the system.

• Love 18
48 minutes ago, DearEvette said:

I tend to only like the first one or two seasons of a reality show.  II rarely stick with one past the first couple seasons.  The first season is nice because there is no template.  The people who are doing S1 have no idea what to expect so they tend to be a little more raw.

Yes, there are several shows I've watched the first one to three seasons of, when there was enough of a proper documentary series there to teach me something about an unfamiliar experience, e.g. Little People, Big World (little people) and Born This Way (people with Down Syndrome).  But soon there's no more education to be found, and it's just manufactured-for-the-show antics and adventures.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, DearEvette said:

I tend to only like the first one or two seasons of a reality show.  II rarely stick with one past the first couple seasons.  The first season is nice because there is no template.  The people who are doing S1 have no idea what to expect so they tend to be a little more raw.  And you don't have an idea what to expect too much.  But by the time the show has been around for the third season the people cast are slicker, they know what to expect, the formula is set and it is not as interesting and even feels pretty fake.

I think back to The Real World NY, the very first Survivor, the first season of American Idol, and The Amazing Race.  How good they were before they got taken over by personalities and people trying to game the system.

I agree.  Also, on the first few seasons of a reality show the producers are willing to cast less polished individuals as contestants.  I find it more interesting to see those personalities than the ones who come in later series who have watched every episode of previous seasons or who now fit the producers' ideal.  I hate when it's obvious the producers are casting certain individuals in order to manufacture "good" television.  Their idea of "good" television always revolves around conflict or outrageous behavior.  

• Love 9
1 hour ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I hate when it's obvious the producers are casting certain individuals in order to manufacture "good" television.  Their idea of "good" television always revolves around conflict or outrageous behavior.  

Once I see the contestant lineup and can say "oh, he is this seasons Bob and she is this season's Steph" I'm out. It's when producers see that a contestant, like my imaginary Bob is a big hit with the audience, they start hunting for "Bob" types. Once they cast to regain the magic the show loses any "magic" it had. Unfortunately, most shows don't seem to get that, and just keep making the same season over and over with the same cast of characters who just happen to have different names and hairstyles (and sometimes not even that, I'm looking at you The Bachelor, with your 20 Ashley's or Brittney's per season), all with long extension beach waves and excessively contoured faces. 

• Love 7
On 8/4/2021 at 4:09 PM, Hiyo said:

I think Ted Lasso is…ok. Nothing more. The acting is good, there are some chuckles here and there, but otherwise, it’s…ok. 

I find it ok, even very funny and poignant here and there, but very toxic positive. This is one of those shows where the diehard fans make me like the show less.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1

Their idea of "good" television always revolves around conflict or outrageous behavior.  

I hate the contestants on reality shows with sob stories. "I'll lose my home/my job/my family/whatever if I don't get on this show!"

And yeah, that applies to people with disabilities and/or diseases. Like, I'm happy you were able to overcome whatever it is you were going through, but it has absolutely zero bearing on how talented I find you.

• Love 6
5 hours ago, Hiyo said:

I hate the contestants on reality shows with sob stories. "I'll lose my home/my job/my family/whatever if I don't get on this show!"

The worst is when they are asked "why do you deserve to win" whatever competition it is. And they answer "I really need this money" insert a series of reasons here. 

No, that isn't why you deserve it, it's why you want it. As soon as they say that or "I want this more than anyone else" I'm over them. 

One great reality moment was on Dallas Cowboy Cheerleaders: Making the Team when one of the girls is in the office being questioned (before possibly being cut) and says that she is working harder than any of the others and the judge, Kelli, stops her right there and says something like "you think none of the others are working hard?" the girls face is like "oh shit!" 

I just hate reality stars' sense of entitlement, that because they want to win they should. I blame the parents. lol (kidding, I blame society really, telling kids they're all winners. No, they are not. If everyone is a winner, then no one is a loser and if no one is a loser, there are no winners you moron! Now get off my lawn! It's time for my tea and a nap).

• Love 14

The one that kills me is "I want to win so we can start a family."  Unless it's for medical treatments, which is perfectly understandable, you don't need a million dollars before you can start bringing children into the world.  If that's the case most of us probably wouldn't be here. 

Edited by kiddo82
  • Love 11
6 hours ago, Hiyo said:

I hate the contestants on reality shows with sob stories. "I'll lose my home/my job/my family/whatever if I don't get on this show!

Whenever they start the sappy music and the long shot of the of contestant looking pensively in the middle distance, I know there is a good chance that person will be one of the final contestants.  Sigh.

36 minutes ago, Mabinogia said:

The worst is when they are asked "why do you deserve to win" whatever competition it is. And they answer "I really need this money" insert a series of reasons here. 

No, that isn't why you deserve it, it's why you want it. As soon as they say that or "I want this more than anyone else" I'm over them.

Right?  I wish that one person would treat the answer like they would a job interview question --  along the lines of "well, I won four challenges, more than any other contestant, I engineered an alliance that survived to the end, I was the clutch player in two team events..." etc.

• Love 8
16 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

Psych.  I just don't get it.  Sure I can watch it in small doses, but if I were ever around those two characters for any length of time when they started acting childish, I would be tempted to smack them.

I loved everything about Psych except for Shawn Spencer. Him being the lead was a bit of an issue. lol Seasons 1 & 2 had some truly epic episodes. Some of my love could be because I'm the age group of the show creator so all the references click for me. That said, I got over the show real fast around mid season 3 because Shawn is fucking exhausting. 

Still love Lassie (but that could be my love of Tim Omundson speaking). I believe in you Tad Cooper!!!!! (I will forever be bitter we didn't get more Galavant).

• Love 9
9 hours ago, Hiyo said:

Despite my above stated dislike for talent competition shows, I remember watching Star Search in my early teens with my family when it was rebooted in the early 2000s. (I also remember the finale being interrupted by news we were bombing Baghdad.) 

One time, some woman was a contestant. I can't remember if she was a singer or a model or a comedian, but I remember before her performance, her entire interview was about how she had left her husband she loved to pursue fame in her field. And it really felt like she was trying to guilt-trip people into believing she deserved to win because she was that determined. It was weird, she didn't advance past that episode, and my whole family laughed our asses off at how dumbfounded she looked when she realized that she had dumped hubby for nothing.

Edited by Zella
  • Love 5
39 minutes ago, Zella said:

One time, some woman was a contestant. I can't remember if she was a singer or a model or a comedian, but I remember before her performance, her entire interview was about how she had left her husband she loved to pursue fame in her field. And it really felt like she was trying to guilt-trip people into believing she deserved to win because she was that determined. It was weird, she didn't advance past that episode, and my whole family laughed our asses off at how dumbfounded she looked when she realized that she had dumped hubby for nothing.

Her husband really dodged a bullet there. Hope he's off living his best life. At least she ditched her family to pursue fame. I hate the ones who claim they have left their family, especially if young children/babies are involved for the family. No, sweetie, you're doing it for you. If you wanted money to support your family you'd go get a job rather than chase a very small chance at fame. 

I basically root against most reality contestants lol. Unless it's Great British Bake Off, where I pretty much root for all of them to stay forever. (well, most, there have been a few bakers I was happy to see the back of, but most of them are very sweet and down to Earth and clearly just want to bake.) Though I think even that has changed now and they just want fame. 

Which leads me to my GBBO UO. I don't think Nadiya is all that. I think she is way overhyped and was there to become famous. Which, it worked, so good on her I guess. 

Edited by Mabinogia
  • Love 5

I really like Making It on NBC.  The personal back stories aren't too bad but the main draw for me is that the contestants seem both very supportive and willing to help one another.  And while I don't always agree with the judges, they are supportive as well and give criticisms without trying to give a soundbite.  It's refreshing.  

Edited by kiddo82
  • Love 8

I am a fan of The Golden Girls, but the show that I never got into is The Office. I’m from the Scranton area and the local sports team still sell The Office merchandise and have “The Office” night, or make videos with the theme music, and people go nuts for it even to this day. I watched a few episodes of it and it was OK but I didn’t laugh more often than I did. To each their own, of course, but I just never found it (or the craze surrounding it) that funny or notable.

I also can’t get into America’s Got Talent because they have so many singers for a show that’s supposed to showcase all kinds of talent and all it takes is a sob story + singing to get a golden buzzer. I don’t like The Voice either part because of the sob stories and part because I don’t think 13 and 14 year olds should be competing on a show like that. Why push them when they’re essentially just kids? I wish the minimum age were more like 16 or 17, but I know AGT does the same thing with nine and 10-year-old singers and other kid acts. 

• Love 5
19 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

I guess it is safe to assume that you are not head of the television programming department  for the Hallmark Channel, because they run The Golden Girls into a ditch.

I put The Golden Girls in the same pile as The Love Boat.  Snoozeable programming.  I couldn't fall asleep any faster if you shot me in the ass with a tranquilizer dart.  And trust me, that target is hard to miss.

Hey, I have had insomnia for the past month or so.  I guess I have just solved my problem.

Law & Order: SVU, I hate that series with a passion.  The writing is awful and preachy.

I put Star Trek original, Next Generation, Deep Space nine in the make go to asleep category. My husband is a trekkie  and he has these on repeat every night the same  with the movies

• LOL 2
On 8/8/2021 at 6:22 AM, Hiyo said:

If you ever get a chance, watch an episode of a show from the '60s called Queen for a Day - the contestants directly compete against each other to demonstrate that their life is the most horrible.  The studio audience would decide who won and they would get a prize, like a refrigerator.  It's cringe worthy.  Modern sob stories have nothing on these gals.

• Love 2
On 8/8/2021 at 9:22 AM, Hiyo said:

And yeah, that applies to people with disabilities and/or diseases. Like, I'm happy you were able to overcome whatever it is you were going through, but it has absolutely zero bearing on how talented I find you.

I can't stand the sob stories either.  (And I can't stand when these shows become more about the judges' banter than the talent.  What do any of these celebrities know about finding talent anyway?)  Just put the contestant on stage, a brief intro is ok, but no packaged overwrought backstory please.  

• Love 10
On 8/8/2021 at 8:22 AM, Hiyo said:

I agree but IMO what's even worse is when a contestant uses a family member's tragedy as a means to guilt judges to give them   pity points to put them over the top  re the other contestants instead of just letting the judges judge their work strictly on its own merits. Yes, I'm looking right at you Melissa 'this dish reminds me of my mother who committed suicide when I was 20'  d'Arabian! 

• Love 5
3 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

There are lots of popular movies that I have never seen.  E.T., for example.

There are a lot of popular movies I have watched and didn't like. Titanic for example.  

3 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

I watch most shows out of comfort.  To bring back the feelings and memories of the long ago past, when I was a child. 

Happy Days (no pun intended) does that for me.  No matter how many times I have seen each episode if I turn on a channel and it's on I will stop and watch it.

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Sure they did.  They just weren't listened to on any meaningful level across society (so their objections did not result in content creators refraining from writing such things)

This. Plus, social media and things of that sort weren't around back then, so even if and when people were listening to viewers' complaints, it was harder for people to connect over those complaints on a wider scale. Protests and letter-writing campaigns were pretty much the main go-to options to try and connect with other viewers and/or the creators and the networks. 

• Love 11
On 8/8/2021 at 9:22 PM, Hiyo said:

I'm not a watcher of those kind of shows. Has anyone ever been a giant troll? "I'm going to put all my winnings into bitcoin." Or thanked Satan for helping them through?

• Love 4

I can’t remember if I told my story on this thread, but many years ago I ended up trying out for a game show as a favor for a friend who was playing for a wonderful local charity.  The producer really wanted this charity to get money, which they would just by our making it on air.  She found out I have children with special needs and told me before we began the interview, “I’m going to make you cry.”  It didn’t work because (1) I hate cameras and lose all ability to act normally in front of one, and (2) I completely shut down at any attempt to use my children to manipulate me.  She kept stopping the camera in exasperation and asking me more and more pointed questions about their futures to get me to tear up.  I can cry now when I think about it, but I was stone faced and dry eyed that day.

Ever since I have hated all reality shows.

• Love 2
15 hours ago, Crs97 said:

Ever since I have hated all reality shows.

After that experience, I don't blame you. 

My favorite reality show is Great British Bake Off because I heard that the hosts, Mel and Sue, would start swearing or singing a song if they saw producers trying to do what that producer was doing to you, trying to make the contestant cry on camera. They knew that if they swore or if they sang a song that the show would have to pay royalties to use, then production would just scrap the clip. Eventually production stopped trying to make the bakers cry and it made for a lovely experience for this viewer. 

Sadly, now that Mel and Sue are gone, and the show is on a "younger, hipper" channel than the BBC, I think they are leaning into the manipulations again. Pity. The show was a breath of fresh air for a long time. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 15
16 hours ago, Crs97 said:

and told me before we began the interview, “I’m going to make you cry.”  

Oh my God, that is horrible. What kind of sociopath does that? I am sorry you had such a terrible experience.

8 minutes ago, Mabinogia said:

My favorite reality show is Great British Bake Off because I heard that the hosts, Mel and Sue, would start swearing or singing a song if they saw producers trying to do what that producer was doing to you, trying to make the contestant cry on camera. They knew that if they swore or if they sang a song that the show would have to pay royalties to use, then production would just scrap the clip. Eventually production stopped trying to make the bakers cry and it made for a lovely experience for this viewer. 

Now that sounds like a good idea, but it is sad that hosts have to resort to such tactics against their own producers. I don't even get why anyone would watch a show that is about baking (IMO a feel-good topic) for sob stories. That sounds like a turn off to me.

• Love 8
14 hours ago, woodstock said:

I really don’t care who the next host of ‘Jeopardy’ is.

I don't either. I stopped watching "Jeopardy!" long ago because I got tired of the condescending way Alex would sometimes talk to the contestants (although everything I read about him indicates he was a wonderful man).

I was surprised, however, that it wasn't a woman or person of color chosen to be the next host. I didn't even realize Mayim Bialik was in the running. I wonder if this will affect her sitcom "Call Me Kat." To be honest, I'm kind of off her when I found out she used to be an anti-vaxxer. 

Edited by SmithW6079
  • Love 5

Although it would have been a nice gesture had Jeopardy chosen a female and/or a person of a minority ethnicity to have been the permanent day-to-day host, my main objections to them choosing Mike Richards are that a.  him being the executive  producer somewhat tilted the scales rather than having the choice having been  from an even playing field and b. while he was sympathetic expressing his sincere mourning for Mr. Trebeck, overall he has the personality of a turnip.  

• Love 7
3 hours ago, SmithW6079 said:

I don't either. I stopped watching "Jeopardy!" long ago because I got tired of the condescending way Alex would sometimes talk to the contestants (although everything I read about him indicates he was a wonderful man).

I was surprised, however, that it wasn't a woman or person of color chosen to be the next host. I didn't even realize Mayim Bialik was in the running. I wonder if this will affect her sitcom "Call Me Kat." To be honest, I'm kind of off her when I found out she used to be an anti-vaxxer. 

Call me kat is awful, so it would be a great thing if that show ended up cancelled. 

The whole process seemed shady and odd. I liked mike Richards, and I'll still watch, he did a good job, but having an inside track and being hired makes it all seem like an illegitimate process. 

I didn't care for mayim much as a guest host but probably won't watch whatever spinoffs they are planning anyway.  

But most of all people should stop bitching about levar Burton not just going given the job based on social media attention.  I like levar Burton. But he was awful as a guest host. 

• Love 4
22 minutes ago, Blergh said:

Although it would have been a nice gesture had Jeopardy chosen a female and/or a person of a minority ethnicity to have been the permanent day-to-day host, my main objections to them choosing Mike Richards are that a.  him being the executive  producer somewhat tilted the scales rather than having the choice having been  from an even playing field and b. while he was sympathetic expressing his sincere mourning for Mr. Trebeck, overall he has the personality of a turnip.  

The guest hosting was never meant to really be an audition. Most of the people who did it don't even have time to do Jeopardy as a full-time gig.  They were just giving space between AT and the next host so people wouldn't come out hating too much. I liked the laid-back hosts like Mike Richards a lot more than the overly enthusiastic ones.  The host is supposed to just blend into the background.  But, I don't really care that much who hosts.  I only care about the questions and answers.  Or answers and questions, I guess.

As for him already being and exec producer, how many times do people in the real world complain about companies never promoting from within? I see no problem with him.  

• Love 5
37 minutes ago, Katy M said:

As for him already being and exec producer, how many times do people in the real world complain about companies never promoting from within? I see no problem with him.  

I don't love the way his guest stint and hiring was handled (he wasn't entirely truthful about why he had to step in) but my real issue with him are the lawsuits against him when he was with The Price is Right.

• Useful 4
  • Love 6

I think Jeopardy has screwed this up by not making it clear that guest hosts were not auditioning.  Instead so many guests hosts expressed an interest in being chosen that fans were going to be pissed no matter who was left standing.

• Love 11
1 hour ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Call me kat is awful, so it would be a great thing if that show ended up cancelled. 

The whole process seemed shady and odd. I liked mike Richards, and I'll still watch, he did a good job, but having an inside track and being hired makes it all seem like an illegitimate process. 

I didn't care for mayim much as a guest host but probably won't watch whatever spinoffs they are planning anyway.  

But most of all people should stop bitching about levar Burton not just going given the job based on social media attention.  I like levar Burton. But he was awful as a guest host. 

I agree with you up until the last sentence, because while LeVar Burton was obviously very nervous, he was not awful.  I'd put him in the middle of the pack with the potential to have been higher if he'd gotten a second day of filming.

• Love 10
15 hours ago, Crs97 said:

I think Jeopardy has screwed this up by not making it clear that guest hosts were not auditioning.  Instead so many guests hosts expressed an interest in being chosen that fans were going to be pissed no matter who was left standing.

I agree with that. Jeopardy made it seem like guest hosts were auditioning so naturally fans were watching and picking the ones they thought did the best job and/or watching the ratings. They should have been up front about that not being the case. Sure some probably still wouldn't have liked who they picked but at least we would have known they weren't auditions.  

• Love 4

Well it seems this is unpopular:

I ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️ Psych and loved Shawn during the first two seasons, when he was smart, and not a moocher, or couldn’t afford to pay for his own stuff. Somehow after season three, the writers (who were all the same from day one) thought dumbing him down and a loser was a good thing.😒😒

That all aside, I can put up with him because of his love for Gus-the times when Gus was in danger, you would see Shawn want to do everything he could to save him or be there for him. As far as I’m concerned, SHAWN AND GUS ARE THE OTP of the show.

They had great actors who guest starred on this show. And I’m one who is happy that we get movies every year or so, because as both James and Dulé have said: they do it for the fans.

Happily sitting at my table for one, with 🍍 and 🍹😁

• Love 8