Type keyword(s) to search

Party of One: Unpopular TV Opinions

• Start Topic

21 hours ago, Kel Varnsen said:

Isn't the jumping over the gates timed? Making it a race? Either way equestrian events are the dumbest of all Olympic sports. The horse is doing all the work, with the rider basically the trainer. Yet in any human sport the trainers don't get medals. Not to mention it is ridiculous to send horses around the world to compete in events like this.

I rode a lot when I was younger.  Mostly Western, but I did enough jumping to know that the rider is definitely important.  They need to accurately judge the distance between jumps in relation to their horse's stride so that the horse takes off the correct distance from the jump.  If the horse is too close or too far away when they take off they'll knock down the top railing in the jump and get faulted or potentially knock over the whole jump.  So while I agree that equestrians aren't the same caliber athletes as say marathoners, there's definitely skill involved and they have to be in shape so the horse isn't carrying excess weight over the jumps.  I consider it equivalent to archery or shooting which are also Olympic sports.

I obviously don't have an issue with the Olympic equestrian events but I'm not a fan of horse racing, largely because between breeding and race conditions it's way too easy for Thoroughbreds to break a leg and then they have to be euthanized. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 10
2 hours ago, Rose Quartz said:

I rode a lot when I was younger.  Mostly Western, but I did enough jumping to know that the rider is definitely important.  They need to accurately judge the distance between jumps in relation to their horse's stride so that the horse takes off the correct distance from the jump.  If the horse is too close or too far away when they take off they'll knock down the top railing in the jump and get faulted or potentially knock over the whole jump.  So while I agree that equestrians aren't the same caliber athletes as say marathoners, there's definitely skill involved and they have to be in shape so the horse isn't carrying excess weight over the jumps.  I consider it equivalent to archery or shooting which are also Olympic sports.

I obviously don't have an issue with the Olympic equestrian events but I'm not a fan of horse racing, largely because between breeding and race conditions it's way too easy for Thoroughbreds to break a leg and then they have to be euthanized. 

I don't doubt that it takes skill. I just find it odd it is an Olympic sport. Now I imagine it dates back to a 19th century thing when skills on a horse were a big deal but it seems odd how it stayed in this whole time while no other animal events were added.  Like where is Olympic dog running through an obstacle course like a dog shows, or Olympic dolphins jumping through hoops?

• Useful 1
2 hours ago, Raja said:

I got into this on some board but I would be a lot more impressed with the human if she drew a horse at random for her ride

Part of the skill is literally becoming a team with the horse.

• Useful 1
  • Love 13
(edited)

This may not be true anymore (though I can't think of another sport), but the equestrian events are the only ones in which men and women compete together.  That alone makes it interesting to me.  Plus the beauty and grace of the 4 legged athletes.

Edited by Haleth
  • Love 14

I have no opinion one way or another if equestrian events should be in the Olympics.   And I don't know why they are included.  

But generally speaking what is and is nit an Olympic sport makes little sense

Trampoline is a sport. 

Bmx bike racing and freestyle. 

Yet cricket isn't.  

3x3 basketball is in

No to lacrosse. 

Ultimate frisbee and pole dancing are trying to be Olympic sports. 

Makes no sense. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 6
9 hours ago, Kel Varnsen said:

I don't doubt that it takes skill. I just find it odd it is an Olympic sport. Now I imagine it dates back to a 19th century thing when skills on a horse were a big deal but it seems odd how it stayed in this whole time while no other animal events were added.  Like where is Olympic dog running through an obstacle course like a dog shows, or Olympic dolphins jumping through hoops?

I get that this is probably a joke, but my point was the exact oposite, that animals should not IMO be included in sports.

22 hours ago, Blergh said:

I don't disagree with you re competitors under 18 but I think at age 29, it's safe to say that Miss Jessica Springsteen is a functioning adult who chose to compete in the Olympics.  I understand she started riding at age four but I've never heard the slightest whisper that she's been pressured or exploited to do so by her parents. It seems she opted to do this somewhat like Princess Anne in wanting to master a skill in which one's parent's fame has absolutely nothing to whether one can get a horse to make a jump- or not! 

Yes, I agree, I wasn't referring to her (though I admit that my initial post was inspired by a discussion about her in the other topic). I meant in general, that in some sports (mainly gymnastics I think) one has to start very young and with a very tough schedule to be able to compete at Olympics level and I have my doubts about how much kids can decide that at such a young age. And once they can, the decision is probably heavily influenced by how much they already dedicated to it. I just don't consider it wort it, but YMMV of course.

And since I'm on a roll, on the topic of children competitions, I can't believe that children beauty pageants are a thing. I find that extremely gross. Not that I have a high opinion about adult beauty pageants, but as per my previous post, if adults want to compete in that, fine, that is their choice that they can make for themselves.

OK, I think that's all, getting off my soapbox 😏.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

I have no opinion one way or another if equestrian events should be in the Olympics.   And I don't know why they are included.  

Trampoline is a sport. 

Yet cricket isn't.  

3x3 basketball is in

No to lacrosse. 

Makes no sense. 

From what I have read, the IOC's criteria for Olympic sports is very Euro-centric.  Supposedly, they want to include sports that people play across all continents.   Baseball and softball used to be in the Olympics, but were pulled because they are sports only played in the Americas and some Asian countries.  The idea being that each sport will have athletes from all continents playing together.  But, if the field of play does not include Europeans or the medal winners are all from the same  non-European countries year after year, then the sport will be pulled.  From your list, cricket is an English sport played only in England and former English colonies. I know people have been trying to get lacrosse added for years, but because it's an American sport it has an uphill battle to get included.  

• Useful 2
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Trampoline is a sport. 

Yet cricket isn't.  

3x3 basketball is in

No to lacrosse. 

Makes no sense. 

It is all about what people will watch on TV around the world. Thus a big sport in the Americas and part of Asia like baseball was stripped until the Olympics returned to a baseball loving host nation. While something like lacrosse never went beyond North America.

• Useful 2
30 minutes ago, JustHereForFood said:

get that this is probably a joke, but my point was the exact oposite, that animals should not IMO be included in sports.

Don't get me wrong I don't think they should be either, at least for the Olympics. I was trying to point out how I would have no interest seeing a guy in a suit running beside a Weiner dog as it goes up a ramp and through a tunnel. That would be a ridiculous Olympic event, but really a person riding a horse while it dances around a pen, isn't really that different.

• LOL 1
59 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

From what I have read, the IOC's criteria for Olympic sports is very Euro-centric.  Supposedly, they want to include sports that people play across all continents. 

I remember reading somewhere at some point in time that to be an Olympic sport it had to be played on at least 3 continents.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Anduin said:

I've long thought they should merge equestrian and fencing together. Yes, I'm talking about jousting.

I would insist, nay, demand that ladies fair be in attendance waving colorful handkerchiefs. 

48 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I remember reading somewhere at some point in time that to be an Olympic sport it had to be played on at least 3 continents.

That would include baseball. There's enough nations that a World Cup for baseball can be mounted. I don't have a problem with the addition of skateboarding or whatever, but it's an odd omission. You'd think the inclusion would promote the sport internationally. 

I have no idea how cricket played except you can call people a sticky wicket, but I'd be more likely to tune into that. Same for rugby. 

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, DoctorAtomic said:

have no idea how cricket played except you can call people a sticky wicket, but I'd be more likely to tune into that. Same for rugby. 

Cricket matches can take days right? How would they be able to do that and have a multi-country tournament that wraps up in 2 weeks?

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

I would watch the hell out of that.

As would I.  Unfortunately it's not jousting but fencing and riding are 2/5 of the modern pentathlon.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

From what I have read, the IOC's criteria for Olympic sports is very Euro-centric.  Supposedly, they want to include sports that people play across all continents.   Baseball and softball used to be in the Olympics, but were pulled because they are sports only played in the Americas and some Asian countries.  The idea being that each sport will have athletes from all continents playing together.  But, if the field of play does not include Europeans or the medal winners are all from the same  non-European countries year after year, then the sport will be pulled.  From your list, cricket is an English sport played only in England and former English colonies. I know people have been trying to get lacrosse added for years, but because it's an American sport it has an uphill battle to get included.  

Cricket is the second most popular sport worldwide.  2.5 billion fans. 

They have hockey, how many countries at that worldwide?  That's like Europe and north America only.  

Bmx biking is popular worldwide?   News to me. 

It seems they'd rather pick sports with few fans spread over the world than actual popular sports that may be more popular in certain countries.  

Plus The only two sports truly played the world over are soccer and basketball. 

Ive read their supposed criteria before.  The decisions still don't make sense to me.  They are arbitrary and often stupid. 

• Love 5
18 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

They have hockey, how many countries at that worldwide?  That's like Europe and north America only.  

I would put hockey on the same par with baseball in terms of active nations. I thought baseball was popular when they did have it. 

I'm not opposed to sports like swimming or biking, but I fail to see the logic in including what amounts to pickup basketball, when you have actual basketball. You've got all the world-class players in it, so it's hard to see how it could be showcased more. 

• Love 3
10 minutes ago, DoctorAtomic said:

I would put hockey on the same par with baseball in terms of active nations. I thought baseball was popular when they did have it. 

I'm not opposed to sports like swimming or biking, but I fail to see the logic in including what amounts to pickup basketball, when you have actual basketball. You've got all the world-class players in it, so it's hard to see how it could be showcased more. 

I think the 3x3 basketball is kind of like beach volleyball vs volleyball.  More of a street game, different style of play.  Fewer players.  Still a team game in a sense but more individualistic 

But I agree I wouldn't have included it and was surprised when I saw it listed I this year's events. 

• Love 2
12 minutes ago, DoctorAtomic said:

m not opposed to sports like swimming or biking, but I fail to see the logic in including what amounts to pickup basketball, when you have actual basketball. You've got all the world-class players in it, so it's hard to see how it could be showcased more. 

Can someone compete in both the regular and 3 on 3 basketball event? Like how swimmers, track people and gymnasts can compete in multiple events?

• Love 1

17 minutes ago, DoctorAtomic said:

Hockey is more popular in Europe and also a Winter Olympics sport.  Baseball is popular in the Americas and Asia, but not so much in Europe.  

I can totally see the IOC creating another basketball category in hopes that a team not the USA can get the gold.  

• Love 3
19 minutes ago, Kel Varnsen said:

Can someone compete in both the regular and 3 on 3 basketball event? Like how swimmers, track people and gymnasts can compete in multiple events?

I guess it would depend on how they schedule games. Like track meets won't allow 200m and 100m heats to knock out a potential double gold medal.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, Quof said:

Aren't there still shooting events? When there were, men and women competed together. 

It does look like there are mixed teams in shooting.  

2 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

I think there's a compressed version. 

At least according to Midsomer Murders.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Kel Varnsen said:

I didn't know 3x3 was a thing until here. I mean, just put like Durant, Curry, and Paul on a team and forget it. 

Oh, looks like they have baseball this year with six teams. 

16 minutes ago, DoctorAtomic said:

I didn't know 3x3 was a thing until here. I mean, just put like Durant, Curry, and Paul on a team and forget it. 

The US Men’s team didn’t qualify for the Olympics.

• Useful 2
5 hours ago, kiddo82 said:

As would I.  Unfortunately it's not jousting but fencing and riding are 2/5 of the modern pentathlon.

They need to merge the other ones, too!

• Love 1
8 hours ago, Anduin said:

I've long thought they should merge equestrian and fencing together. Yes, I'm talking about jousting.

Jousting?  I'm in! (for any Ren Faire sport, actually)  But they should also combine equestrian and archery:

• Love 6
20 hours ago, Raja said:

I got into this on some board but I would be a lot more impressed with the human if she drew a horse at random for her ride

I think that's what happens in the Modern Pentathlon.  They do get a short interval for a test ride with the horse, but they're still effectively strangers when they compete.

• Love 4
28 minutes ago, Lugal said:

Jousting?  I'm in! (for any Ren Faire sport, actually)  But they should also combine equestrian and archery:

But the Mongolian team would always win! Okay, I kid. I really would like to see that.

• Love 4
7 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

I have no idea how cricket played except you can call people a sticky wicket, but I'd be more likely to tune into that. Same for rugby. 

Rugby 7s debuted in Rio in 2016.

Speaking of jousting, did anyone else watch the History channel jousting competition reality show from about 9 or 10 years ago?  It only lasted one season, I think.  I wonder if at least part of the reason why is it that it must cost a fortune to insure.  It was an interesting show though.

• Love 4
14 minutes ago, kiddo82 said:

Rugby 7s debuted in Rio in 2016.

Speaking of jousting, did anyone else watch the History channel jousting competition reality show from about 9 or 10 years ago?  It only lasted one season, I think.  I wonder if at least part of the reason why is it that it must cost a fortune to insure.  It was an interesting show though.

Yes, Full Metal Jousting. The YT show I linked upthread, Tilt, has some of the same people involved. But I've gotten behind and will have to catch up soon.

• Useful 3
  • Love 1
15 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

Hockey is more popular in Europe and also a Winter Olympics sport.  Baseball is popular in the Americas and Asia, but not so much in Europe.

Since we were talking about the Summer Olympics I assumed the original poster was talking about field hockey. Although I guess it can also depend on where you're from whether people are talking about field hockey or ice hockey when they just say hockey.

Looking at past medallists field hockey seems to be played in more countries than I thought with medals for countries from all five continents (Americas, Europe, Asia, Oceania and even Zimbabwe's women in 1980 winning the only African medal).

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
18 hours ago, Kel Varnsen said:

Cricket matches can take days right? How would they be able to do that and have a multi-country tournament that wraps up in 2 weeks?

18 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

I think there's a compressed version. 

Yes. Although a full cricket test match would normally run over five days, there are also multiple short-form variants, including one-day cricket, in which a match lasts 7-8 hours, and Twenty20 cricket, which has limited overs and can be completed in about three hours.

I've never really understood the criteria for which sports are or aren't included in the Olympics.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
20 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

Hockey is more popular in Europe and also a Winter Olympics sport.

Maybe it's because I'm in Canada but I really enjoy watching the Winter Olympics but the Summer Olympics I am pretty picky about which events I will watch. 

• Love 3
On 7/8/2021 at 3:01 AM, Raja said:

I believe the partnership between rider and horse is crucial. In the case of Charlotte Dujardin, who won gold for Great Britain in 2012 and 2016, her horse, Valegro, became almost as famous as her (he has his own wikipedia entry) and she was always very keen to emphasise that she would never have won without him. She spent years training him and bonding with him to become a good enough unit to win.

He retired at fourteen and is apparently loving the easy life.

I feel like drawing horses at random could be a recipe for disaster, as the horses would be unfamiliar with those riding them, and likely to get distressed and confused.

Olympic sports range from the pinnacle of human athleticism to 'lie down and shoot that target', with everything in between. I don't mind, and never really want to criticise anything that's named an Olympic sport, because it's a chance for people to compete in the most famous, venerable sporting event in the world.

For a lot of these competitors, it's a rare opportunity to be noticed by the masses for something they've spent their lives working at, before we all inevitably go back to watching the four or five sports that dominate 

Back when amateur status was a requirement, I thought the elite sports that make millionaires out of anyone good enough to compete professionally - tennis, golf, soccer, basketball - shouldn't be allowed. But it's a free for all now, and perhaps that's necessary to ensure athletes in less popular sports get sponsorships and grants and enough income to dedicate their time to competing and training.

• Love 11
3 hours ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

My UO is that I don't consider shows that run for three seasons "short-lived". 

I’m more than fine with a show ending between two and less than ten seasons. Don’t go to double-digits. It’s always better to leave them wanting more than go on forever.

• Love 11
(edited)

My UO is the more seasons the better, always.  There might be 1-5% of shows being the exception, but for any show I enjoy, I want more seasons.  I always see people crying to end the show NOW or at a particular time and I never ever agree.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 8
5 minutes ago, supposebly said:

My magic number is 5 seasons. Regardless of number of episodes. Most shows seem to become repetitive and their characters become their own caricatures after that.

I agree! There are a few exceptions to that, but very, very few.

I'd love to say that I know.  I am usually okay with serialized shows ending between 1 to 4 or 5 seasons.

I'm usually okay with successful comedies going on longer.

I'm usually happy with procedurals I enjoy to keep going. I have seen procedurals outlast down years and recover. 

• Love 3
1 minute ago, Irlandesa said:

I'd love to say that I know.  I am usually okay with serialized shows ending between 1 to 4 or 5 seasons.

I'm usually okay with successful comedies going on longer.

I'm usually happy with procedurals I enjoy to keep going. I have seen procedurals outlast down years and recover. 

Yeah, I think the type of show definitely factors into its longevity, too. There are some shows that may have a limited lifespan due to the type of story they're telling, and then there's some where it's okay if they last a decent amount of seasons. 

• Love 8
16 hours ago, Danny Franks said:

Back when amateur status was a requirement, I thought the elite sports that make millionaires out of anyone good enough to compete professionally - tennis, golf, soccer, basketball - shouldn't be allowed. But it's a free for all now, and perhaps that's necessary to ensure athletes in less popular sports get sponsorships and grants and enough income to dedicate their time to competing and training.

My understanding is that changed because of the Soviet teams, such as hockey. Basically if you were an elite level hockey player you were in the army. But your army job was to play hockey. So it basically made you a pro player. If that was allowed it would be hard to say that pro players from other countries wouldn't be allowed.