Type keyword(s) to search

Party of One: Unpopular TV Opinions

• Start Topic

I mean, it took me months to watch the new Star Wars, by that time I knew Han had died, but I can't complain about that. It's part of pop culture at that point. I didn't know how, so I was surprised by that scene. I couldn't not know what happened on TWD even though I totally forgot the show was on. (I can't stand Negan so I was going to watch this season all at once on the plane.) 

About two months after the movie, I got a beautiful American traditional-style arm tattoo commemorating Han. When I shared a photo of it on FB, someone yelled at me for spoiling it! Like if you want to be all, "Oooh, I'm such a Star Wars fan!" then get your ass to the damn movie ASAP like the rest of us nerds!

• Love 5
On 12/13/2017 at 6:39 PM, Katy M said:

Conicidnetally I was just somewhere where I saw someone yell at someone for posting a Highlander spoiler.  The show has been off the air for 19 or 20 years.  I just don't think you can keep a lid on spoilers that long.

I remember a few years ago when Troy came out someone posted a spoiler warning with their review and someone else asked if it's possible to even have spoilers for a 3000 year old story.

On 12/15/2017 at 5:25 PM, nosleepforme said:

This is fairly unpopular:

I don't care about spoilers. I can still enjoy a show when a twist or a death has been spoiled. If a spoiler ruins something for me, then it's more of a sign that it's a bad movie/bad TV show for me.

That's my thoughts: If it's not worth watching spoiled, it's not worth watching twice.

On 12/15/2017 at 5:35 PM, scriggle said:

I'll go even further. I seek out spoilers. I want to know what's going to happen. Knowing does not ruin the experience for me; it enhances it.

I'm the same way.  I find it enhances my experience and if it's from something I don't fully trust the writers on (like they have a history of doing things for shock value) I want to know what I'm getting into.

Edited by Lugal
words mean things
  • Love 6

When I watch a nature documentary, I'm not interested in the camera crew, narrator, vehicles, how they actually got to the site, any of that. I just want to see the animals or plants or other natural phenomena. People are irrelevant.

• Love 11
On 12/16/2017 at 4:07 AM, Miss Dee said:

I don't care if written dialogue is not like "how people say it in real life." If I want to listen to how real people talk, I'll go eavesdrop in public places. When I read or watch fiction, including television, I want to hear something beautiful and crafted at least some of the time.

Same goes for plot - I'll take "story logic" and shortcuts for the sake of entertainment over realism every single time.

I totally agree with you—mostly. I don’t want to hear ‘uhms’ and ‘you knows’ unless a character is obviously uncomfortable or is saying something difficult. But the monologues? Kill me now. I’m talking to you, This Is Us, Scandal, and Grey’s Anatomy. 

• Love 5
On ‎12‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 6:30 PM, Lugal said:

I remember a few years ago when Troy came out someone posted a spoiler warning with their review and someone else asked if it's possible to even have spoilers for a 3000 year old story.

That's my thoughts: If it's not worth watching spoiled, it's not worth watching twice.

I'm the same way.  I find it enhances my experience and if it's from something I don't fully trust the writers on (like they have a history of doing things for shock value) I want to know what I'm getting into.

That's great for you, and I would never tell someone that their way of watching a show or movie is wrong.  But I hate people who think that, just because they don't mind/actively seek out being spoiled, they can spoil things for other people.  Because some of us don't want to be spoiled the first time we see something, and we shouldn't have to avoid the internet completely to avoid it.  I'm not talking about reading episode reviews or going to show/movie specific discussion sites; I'm talking about EW's main page, that kind of thing.

• Love 19
36 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

That's great for you, and I would never tell someone that their way of watching a show or movie is wrong.  But I hate people who think that, just because they don't mind/actively seek out being spoiled, they can spoil things for other people.  Because some of us don't want to be spoiled the first time we see something, and we shouldn't have to avoid the internet completely to avoid it.  I'm not talking about reading episode reviews or going to show/movie specific discussion sites; I'm talking about EW's main page, that kind of thing.

What I especially hate are spoilers from before the episode airs.  Everybody knows those are spoilers. There is no question about that.  No, I do not want to know who the murderer is before watching a murder mystery.  I don't want to know the ending of Sixth Sense before seeing it.  That would have totally ruined the movie, IMO.  Why the people in charge of TV shows think that it's a good idea to publicize specific spoilers before their show airs is beyond me.  Back in the day, they didn't have a whole "Who Shot JR?" campaign during the summer just to tell you who shot him 3 weeks before the episode aired.

• Love 5
3 minutes ago, Katy M said:

Back in the day, they didn't have a whole "Who Shot JR?" campaign during the summer just to tell you who shot him 3 weeks before the episode aired.

And to cover themselves, in CASE it got leaked (because Hagman was still negotiating with the show/network and it was possible he wouldn't return), the show had ALL the characters shooting him! Yes, even Jock and Miss Ellie!

• Love 3
7 minutes ago, Katy M said:

What I especially hate are spoilers from before the episode airs.  Everybody knows those are spoilers. There is no question about that.  No, I do not want to know who the murderer is before watching a murder mystery.  I don't want to know the ending of Sixth Sense before seeing it.  That would have totally ruined the movie, IMO.  Why the people in charge of TV shows think that it's a good idea to publicize specific spoilers before their show airs is beyond me.  Back in the day, they didn't have a whole "Who Shot JR?" campaign during the summer just to tell you who shot him 3 weeks before the episode aired.

I'm not a spoiler-phobe at all, but I especially don't understand why shows would do a cliffhanger and then five minutes later tweet out how the cliffhanger gets resolved in a few weeks. Seems somewhat counterproductive to the point of a cliffhanger, IMO.

Edited by DittyDotDot
  • Love 9
On 12/13/2017 at 6:39 PM, Katy M said:

Conicidnetally I was just somewhere where I saw someone yell at someone for posting a Highlander spoiler.  The show has been off the air for 19 or 20 years.  I just don't think you can keep a lid on spoilers that long.

I also got yelled at for posting a question on Yahoo Answers that spoiled something for 3 seasons back on a show.  There has to be some sort of reasonableness. 

I agree.  Once the show has aired it is free game and if you have not seen it, don't go on threads that are discussing it! 

Netflix series are posted by season and episode, again don't read ahead. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, proserpina65 said:

Some people are just assholes who think it's funny to ruin things for other people. The worst case (IMO) of this wasn't on TV, it was a book. When Harry Potter & The Half Blood Prince came out, somebody drove by one of the midnight book sales & screamed out the major spoiler of the book. It was a truly asshole thing to do & I hope karma took care of them.

What drives me crazy is in competition reality shows that spoil themselves. They get to the point where one of the contestants is going to be eliminated,  then they break for commercial & show previews of the next week & one of the people who might be eliminated is clearly still on the show. 

10 minutes ago, Wings said:

I agree.  Once the show has aired it is free game and if you have not seen it, don't go on threads that are discussing it! 

That would be easy if all discussion was confined to threads about the show, but I remember being spoiled for the first season of American Idol because I went to a news site & it was a headline, & I was also was spoiled about Olympic results when I went to a celebrity gossip site & they put the winner of a competition in the title of a story. 

Edited by GaT
  • Love 8
19 minutes ago, GaT said:

That would be easy if all discussion was confined to threads about the show, but I remember being spoiled for the first season of American Idol because I went to a news site & it was a headline, & I was also was spoiled about Olympic results when I went to a celebrity gossip site & they put the winner of a competition in the title of a story. 

There is really no way around results and plots being reported all over the place.  All anyone can do is be careful where you click and be prepared to be spoiled but hope you don't.   LOL  There is nothing anyone can do about this.  

• Love 4

I managed, completely by accident, to be spoiled not once but twice by deaths in season 3 of Downton Abbey.  I was on some British site looking at or for something completely non-tv when I saw a headline about Sybil's death, and how shocking it was.  Then, on Boxing Day, I was on wikipedia checking the episode count and discovered what happened to Matthew.

• Love 5
7 minutes ago, Dee said:

Unpopular Opinion: A show is NOT a 'failure' if it runs less than nine seasons.

Wow.  who even said that?  I thought 5 seasons was the benchmark for a good show.  Not that it's necessarily bad at less than that, but if it makes that, it's definitely a success.

So, just for fun here are some shows that might be surprised to learn they were failures:

With 7 seasons: Dukes of Hazzard, Growing Pains and Cagney and Lacey

and with 8 season: the Andy Griffith Show, Magnum P.I., Castle, and the Cosby Show.  Yep,, by that criteria, The Cosby Show was a failure.  Who knew?

Edited by Katy M
  • Love 6
6 hours ago, topanga said:

I totally agree with you—mostly. I don’t want to hear ‘uhms’ and ‘you knows’ unless a character is obviously uncomfortable or is saying something difficult. But the monologues? Kill me now. I’m talking to you, This Is Us, Scandal, and Grey’s Anatomy. 

It's precisely the monologues that prompted me to post. I love watching actors rock a long speech; it reminds me of watching a classic play. I don't give a shit that people don't do it in the "real world". If I thought I could monologue my way through life, you bet your ass I'd try it!

Edited by Miss Dee
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, Katy M said:

I thought 5 seasons was the benchmark for a good show.  Not that it's necessarily bad at less than that, but if it makes that, it's definitely a success.

I never heard the 9 seasons thing either.  5 seasons is usually considered a good number, as that typically means 100+ episodes, which used to be the magic number for syndication.

• Love 5

I do like a good monologue if it's performed well and doesn't derail the action. Plus, it's made listening to reality performers (yeah, that shit is miles away from being spontaneous) so tortuous and made me hate how often the words "like" as well as "uhms" and "you knows" are used in unscripted speech on TV. 

• Love 3
21 hours ago, Wings said:

There is really no way around results and plots being reported all over the place.  All anyone can do is be careful where you click and be prepared to be spoiled but hope you don't.   LOL  There is nothing anyone can do about this.  

Yes, there is.  Sites like EW can not post spoilers on their main page.  It's simple enough.  MSN manages to do it.

• Love 5

EW is *terrible* at this. I keep trolling their Star Wars articles which are very spoiler free: Thanks for being careful not to post spoilers about The Last Jedi because I haven't seen the movie yet. Can you do the same thing for literally every other tv show and not ruin it like how you did with TWD?

• Love 2
27 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:
22 hours ago, Wings said:

Yes, there is.  Sites like EW can not post spoilers on their main page.  It's simple enough.  MSN manages to do it.

Oh yes, of course.  You can stick to those 2 sites.  It is easy to run into information by accident though.  One would have to be careful not to cruise around just in case.  That takes some effort!   :)

2 minutes ago, Wings said:

Oh yes, of course.  You can stick to those 2 sites.  It is easy to run into information by accident though.  One would have to be careful not to cruise around just in case.  That takes some effort!   :)

I shouldn't have to stick to just MSN, though.  That's the point.  It wouldn't be hard for news sites or even entertainment sites to not put spoilers on their main page. 

• Love 1
Just now, proserpina65 said:

I shouldn't have to stick to just MSN, though.  That's the point.  It wouldn't be hard for news sites or even entertainment sites to not put spoilers on their main page. 

I see what you are saying.  That is just the way it is.  <shrug> 

On 11/26/2017 at 11:50 AM, scriggle said:

I don't like A Christmas Story.

And I am going to scream if I see ONE more person in real life with a freaking leg lamp in their window!  It's not that funny, people!

• Love 12
6 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

It's clickbait for those who already know or don't care to be spoiled and all they care aboutnis clicks.

Just now, biakbiak said:

It's clickbait for those who already know or don't care to be spoiled and all they care aboutnis clicks.

But wouldn't "Read to find out about the exciting thing that happened in last night's episode" w/o specifying what the exciting thing was get more people to click on the article?  I mean, if I can get all the info I need from the headline and the photo, why would I bother reading the article at all?

I know, my complaining about it isn't going to make EW and similar sites less awful, but it still makes me mad.

• Love 5
On 11/26/2017 at 5:18 PM, HoboClayton said:

I cannot stand the show 6 Feet Under

I'll take this one further...I don't think the final episode was the bestest most wonderful series finale ever.  I found it quite mediocre.

48 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

But wouldn't "Read to find out about the exciting thing that happened in last night's episode" w/o specifying what the exciting thing was get more people to click on the article?  I mean, if I can get all the info I need from the headline and the photo, why would I bother reading the article at all?

I know, my complaining about it isn't going to make EW and similar sites less awful, but it still makes me mad.

Ok I give you this one.    I can see the day after a popular show having an entertainment site flash “Let’s talk about the shocking death of this character!!!”  With a picture of a character that nine times out of ten is the charcher who shockingly died. That is kinda not cool.  

Most cases uses however I do put on the watcher.  

That at being said I do expect  some bit of restraint on news/entertainment sites for at least 24 hours after a show has aired in the country of origin.  

IE I wouldn’t expect people not to talk about one of my favorite “international” shows Wentworth just because it aired an entire season before I can watch it.

Edited by Chaos Theory
18 minutes ago, kiddo82 said:

I don't think this is that unpopular but given the era in which she was on SNL she tends to get overlooked.  (Plus I just want to say it): Maya Rudolph is a national treasure.

She's the voice of the Hormone Monstress in Netflix's Big Mouth. It's not for everyone (raunchy humor), but is a very funny and poignant animated series about puberty.

• Love 1
On 12/18/2017 at 11:44 AM, topanga said:

Yeah, I was going to post about the monologues and speeches, too.  They take me right out of the story, much more than well written lines that aren't exactly like "real people" talk.  

On 12/19/2017 at 0:32 PM, ByTor said:

I'll take this one further...I don't think the final episode was the bestest most wonderful series finale ever.  I found it quite mediocre.

I tried watching Six Feet Under; tried really hard.  Almost made it through the first season too, but I realized that I wasn't enjoying it at all, and didn't think that would change any time soon.

• Love 2
On 20/12/2017 at 1:55 PM, kiddo82 said:

I don't think this is that unpopular but given the era in which she was on SNL she tends to get overlooked.  (Plus I just want to say it): Maya Rudolph is a national treasure.

Since you brought it up, I'll go in the opposite direction: I've seen about a dozen movies or TV shows that Maya Rudolph has appeared in and I'm yet to see anything that has been made better by her involvement.

• Love 9
6 hours ago, bilgistic said:

I don't get the appeal of Chrissy Teigen.

She doesn't seem to have any special talents, and I don't find  her witty or charming, or even the least bit pretty.  She has no reason to be famous, as far as I'm concerned.

• Love 8
10 minutes ago, Ohwell said:

I've always thought that the only reason Chrissy Teigen is even known is because she's married to John Legend.  Then again, I don't think he's all that much either.

I used to be just above indifferent about John Legend, but Chrissy Teigen annoys me so much that I dislike him by association.

• Love 7
On 12/27/2017 at 3:02 AM, Brandi Maxxxx said:

Since you brought it up, I'll go in the opposite direction: I've seen about a dozen movies or TV shows that Maya Rudolph has appeared in and I'm yet to see anything that has been made better by her involvement.

In the recent live A Christmas Story, I thought she was by far the weakest actor and singer.

On 12/29/2017 at 10:16 AM, Popples said:

I used to be just above indifferent about John Legend, but Chrissy Teigen annoys me so much that I dislike him by association.

This is how I feel too

• Love 1
1 minute ago, Ohwell said:

I didn't think Oprah's speech was that great.

I'll go a step further. I found the whole thing really over the top. What started as an amazing movement ended up just coming off as a bunch of rich celebrities patting themselves on the back as though they invented women's movement

Dont even get me started on them parading a pet activist around the red carpet with them. Again, what started as a great idea just came off as incredibly fake and eye rolling.

• Love 18
29 minutes ago, Chas411 said:

I'll go a step further. I found the whole thing really over the top. What started as an amazing movement ended up just coming off as a bunch of rich celebrities patting themselves on the back as though they invented women's movement

Dont even get me started on them parading a pet activist around the red carpet with them. Again, what started as a great idea just came off as incredibly fake and eye rolling.

Exactly.  Couldn't have said it better myself.

• Love 3
On 12/18/2017 at 7:06 PM, Moose135 said:

I never heard the 9 seasons thing either.  5 seasons is usually considered a good number, as that typically means 100+ episodes, which used to be the magic number for syndication.

That's how long Hart to Hart was on ABC: 1979-84, 5 seasons' worth, 110-111 episodes.

• Love 3

I like the way Cassandra on The Librarians dresses and I think it not only fits her personality but it is also kind of adorable in itself.   Maybe because I am by no means a fashion person.  I wouldn't know how to match two pairs of clothes if my life depended on it so maybe its that I find a certain kinship with Cassandra who dresses to her own drum.  I find it adorable.  

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, Chaos Theory said:

I like the way Cassandra on The Librarians dresses and I think it not only fits her personality but it is also kind of adorable in itself.   Maybe because I am by no means a fashion person.  I wouldn't know how to match two pairs of clothes if my life depended on it so maybe its that I find a certain kinship with Cassandra who dresses to her own drum.  I find it adorable.  

Yeah, while I can't say I like her fashion sense for myself, I love that she dances to her own beat in regards to fashion, too. And, I think it fits her character perfectly. 

• Love 1