Type keyword(s) to search

Party of One: Unpopular TV Opinions

• Start Topic

9 hours ago, Neurochick said:

My UO is about the show "Catfish."

I don't have a problem with Nev's wife but many people seem to hate her.  What did she do, commit capital murder or something?  I don't get the hate (or the Kelly Ripa/Rachael Ray hate either).

Someone please enlighten me.

I think it's just that Mrs. Nev is completely unnecessary. This is a "fandom", I hesitate to call it that because are any of us really fans of Catfish, that doesn't really like Nev, but we're supposed to swallow his useless wife as being no big thing. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, HunterHunted said:

I think it's just that Mrs. Nev is completely unnecessary. This is a "fandom", I hesitate to call it that because are any of us really fans of Catfish, that doesn't really like Nev, but we're supposed to swallow his useless wife as being no big thing. 

Exactly. There's absolutely no reason for her to be on the show except to get paid. Why does anyone think we want to see her Skype with Nev? 

• Love 3

To be honest I don't see what the difference is between what "Mrs. Nev" is wearing and Jennifer Lopez's famous green Versace dress. Based on the way the jacket is laying I'm pretty sure she's got some boob tape holding it down so I don't think she was in danger of a wardrobe malfunction or anything. It's not my jam, and I think that shade is really unflattering to them both, but it's really no more revealing than what the average actress, singer, or model wears? Or is the complaint that it's a dumb way to wear a jacket? If so, I agree.

Edited by slf
  • Love 3
On 2/23/2018 at 5:48 AM, GHScorpiosRule said:

It's Mr. Rogers. No 'd' in his name.

I watched ALL the shows and loved them all: Sesame Street, The Electric Company, Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood, Fraggle Rock. And all the Loony Tunes, Tom & Jerry, Mighty Mouse, Woody Woodpecker, Droopy, Popeye, Flintstones, Jetsons...

But you forgot the best one:  Captain Kangaroo!

• Love 7

I am 9 episodes in on This is Us season two (just finished the one titled "Number Two").  I lurk on the boards, so I know this is a somewhat unpopular opinion:

I don't hate Kevin and, based on the flashbacks so far, I understand why he's having problems as an adult.  However, while I understand why Kate has a problem with overeating, nothing in the flashbacks so far have explained why she is so bitchy to her mother*.  I want to like her, because I like her relationship with her brother and her fiance (who is becoming one of my favorite characters based on how he's being written in this season), but the seemingly unfounded bitterness towards her mother make her one of my least favorite characters. 

*I do appreciate, though, the final scenes in Kate's solo episode, where she and her mother took a step towards making up, but it will take more than that for me to finally start liking her.

Edited by Shannon L.
  • Love 6
On 2/26/2018 at 5:19 PM, meep.meep said:

But you forgot the best one:  Captain Kangaroo!

Maybe it was all those ping-pong balls Mr. Moose dropped!  We never saw him below the neck but I guess he'd stepped on something behind the counter to cause them to fall!

OK, this brings up an unpopular opinion about the Jerry Lewis Telethon! On the first Monday of every month, Captain Kangaroo would celebrate the viewers' birthdays by having a cake with the number of candles equal to the order of the month (e.g. 1 candle for January, 2 for February,etc.).   OK, even though it had been years since I last saw the Captain, I had decided to tune in one last time to have them wish 'me' a happy birthday with that cake with nine candles that first Monday in September. But what happened instead? Why my local station had the Jerry Lewis Telethon on and refused to consider telling Jerry to take a nap for an hour so they could have  the Captain wish me a Happy 9th Birthday which I'd never have again !! Man, I was MAD! LOL

And, no, I'm not going to say the date nor the year of my birthday!

• Love 8
10 hours ago, Blergh said:

Maybe it was all those ping-pong balls Mr. Moose dropped!  We never saw him below the neck but I guess he'd stepped on something behind the counter to cause them to fall!

We were big fans of Dancing Bear and Mr. Greenjeans

• Love 4
On 2/20/2018 at 2:26 PM, Danny Franks said:

Bert was just too miserable and sour for me. My Sesame Street favourites were Oscar the Grouch,

Bert was too miserable, but you liked a Grouch? I guess that could be considered unpopular :)

• Love 3
11 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

I still like The Walking Dead. I'm not outraged, or pissed or angry over the events last week. I don't think it was a slap in the face to fans, either.

My UO is that I don't get complaints of a show being a "slap in the face to the fans."  IMO the showrunners are telling the stories they want to tell, it's not to personally insult the fans.  In fact, I think shows start to go downhill once they bow to pressure from the most vocal fans, which really stinks because the loudest fans don't necessarily make up the majority.  I also don't get complaints of a show insulting someone's intelligence.  The way I see it, you need to put your intelligence on the shelf for a lot of tv shows, so they're really not going to insult mine if i'm not even using it.

• Love 4
6 hours ago, ByTor said:

In fact, I think shows start to go downhill once they bow to pressure from the most vocal fans, which really stinks because the loudest fans don't necessarily make up the majority. 

There's also the fact that shows don't have a monolithic fandom and even those most vocal fans don't all want the same things from the show. They often want opposite things where one group loves character A and wants chararcter B off the show while another group loves character B and wants character A off the show. So when the showrunners bow to the pressure of one group the other group hates them for that.

Showrunners could just try to tell the story that they wanted to tell, but that will often piss off all of these most vocal fan groups because none of them get everything they want.

• Love 8

My UO is that I didn't love Kilgrave on Jessica Jones.  I didn't find him charismatic or that he elevated the series.  On second watch I generally fast forwarded through most of his scenes.  I am relieved that he won't play a significant part in season two.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, jah1986 said:

My UO is that I didn't love Kilgrave on Jessica Jones.  I didn't find him charismatic or that he elevated the series.  On second watch I generally fast forwarded through most of his scenes.  I am relieved that he won't play a significant part in season two.

I found him one of the scarier villains, but I think most of the hype around him was that the funniest, quirkiest "doctor" was successfully playing a creepy bad guy.

• Love 1

I found Kilgrave to be a very horrifying villain. Up until him, most of the villains were bad guys with different kinds of punching or maybe a doomsday machine. Furthermore, he wasn't doing any of this because he had some grand master plan. He was just blithely walking around compelling people just for shits and giggles.

• Love 3
(edited)

BTW, IIRC correctly, Lady Elaine was based on an older neighbor Fred Rogers had known as a child!

Was she a drunk neighbor? Because Lady Elaine always looked like a salty old barfly with a gin-blossom nose to me!

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 8
On 17/02/2018 at 9:05 PM, DearEvette said:

I would say that the show is better than him.  I like Master of None a lot, but mostly because I love the depiction of New York.  And I love his circle of friends and I like the stories it tells.  The biggest weakness is when it veers into Aziz being a lead romance guy.  I simply don't buy him as a romantic lead. 

I stopped watching part way through season 2 as it just seemed like the show was trying way to hard to be something rather than just focusing on the characters. Things like the black and white episode or the episode about other random people just seemed like stunts.

On 21/02/2018 at 9:26 AM, Enigma X said:

My UO is that non-U.S. TV shows in general are not automatically better than U.S. ones. I have viewed just as many good ones to my liking from the States and elsewhere.

I think there is a weird bit of bias, since for example the British shows that people in North America typically get exposed to are the ones that are already successful i the UK, so without seeing the bad shows it is easy to assume the shows from the UK are always better.

5 hours ago, HunterHunted said:

I found Kilgrave to be a very horrifying villain. Up until him, most of the villains were bad guys with different kinds of punching or maybe a doomsday machine. Furthermore, he wasn't doing any of this because he had some grand master plan. He was just blithely walking around compelling people just for shits and giggles.

I liked that he was just sort of a random chaotic villain with no real adjenda. I am surprised marvel doesn't have more bad guys like that. Just about every marvel bad guy wants to take over the world, or get revenge on a famiky member or get rich. Other than Killgrave, I can't really think of any Joker like psychopaths.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

Was she a drunk neighbor? Because Lady Elaine always looked like a salty old barfly with a gin-blossom nose to me!

Good question, TattleTeeny! She had her quirks and often could be quite troublesome to King Friday and the other Neighbors. However; I liked that she was happy to be an independent museum owner & a handy lady AND that she and Mayor Maggie encouraged girl viewers to consider that they COULD run stuff on their own!  Like Grandma Walton, she was the vital lemon that kept the show from being too sweet!

• Love 4

My UO is about "The Bachelor."  I know this is awful but I kind of laughed, not at what happened to Becca, but the angst of the audience.  Look, I've been around for a long time and I've known women who actually got married and then found out that the man never loved her.  I knew a woman in college who got married and A YEAR LATER was divorced because she realized the man was in love with another women.  Another woman I knew found out her husband was in love with another man.  

Would people have been happy if Ari married her and then divorced her a month later?  WTF?

The only thing I felt bad about was Becca saying, "what did I do wrong?" I wanted to grab her and say, "NOTHING, it's just the odds, baby."  I mean there are more women than men and because of that, some women might never get married, even if they want to, it's not because they did something wrong, not because they didn't follow "The Rules."  It's just the odds, it's the cards, it's dumb luck.  

Maybe there's something wrong with me, but the whole shit felt fake to me.  A guy IRL would have broken up with her and then walked out of the house, the end.

• Love 10

Is that what happened? I saw headlines on my FB and didn't care enough to read any articles. So, you're going on a reality show to get married, and there's drama? Who knew?

• Love 6
14 hours ago, Neurochick said:

My UO is about "The Bachelor."  I know this is awful but I kind of laughed, not at what happened to Becca, but the angst of the audience.  Look, I've been around for a long time and I've known women who actually got married and then found out that the man never loved her.  I knew a woman in college who got married and A YEAR LATER was divorced because she realized the man was in love with another women.  Another woman I knew found out her husband was in love with another man.  

Would people have been happy if Ari married her and then divorced her a month later?  WTF?

The only thing I felt bad about was Becca saying, "what did I do wrong?" I wanted to grab her and say, "NOTHING, it's just the odds, baby."  I mean there are more women than men and because of that, some women might never get married, even if they want to, it's not because they did something wrong, not because they didn't follow "The Rules."  It's just the odds, it's the cards, it's dumb luck.  

Maybe there's something wrong with me, but the whole shit felt fake to me.  A guy IRL would have broken up with her and then walked out of the house, the end.

It's the Bachelor.  The whole shit is fake.  Part of why I don't watch the show.  It is hard to avoid the press about it, though.

I don't have any problem with him breaking up with her.  I don't even blame him for proposing in the first place, because that's what's expected and other bachelors have gotten criticized for not proposing to any one.  I do think televising the whole break-up was in bad taste, but I put that on the producers, not Ari.

• Love 10
(edited)
8 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

It's the Bachelor.  The whole shit is fake.  Part of why I don't watch the show.  It is hard to avoid the press about it, though.

I don't have any problem with him breaking up with her.  I don't even blame him for proposing in the first place, because that's what's expected and other bachelors have gotten criticized for not proposing to any one.  I do think televising the whole break-up was in bad taste, but I put that on the producers, not Ari.

I don't watch this show, never have, never will; but I can't get away from other shows that I watch, talking about it or seeing clips.  The whole thing is scripted fakeassery.  And when I was watching The View, on Wednesday, it was revealed, after the break up, Becca is now going to be the next Bachelorette. (insert rolling eyes emojis here). This is a show that had women crawling on their hands and knees to please the "CATCH" years ago. I think one season even had them bark like dogs. And the women did it.

So no, no sympathy, empathy, whateverathy from me.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 8
16 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I don't watch this show, never have, never will; but I can't get away from other shows that I watch, talking about it or seeing clips.  The whole thing is scripted fakeassery.  And when I was watching The View, on Wednesday, it was revealed, after the break up, Becca is now going to be the next Bachelorette. (insert rolling eyes emojis here). This is a show that had women crawling on their hands and knees to please the "CATCH" years ago. I think one season even had them bark like dogs. And the women did it.

So no, no sympathy, empathy, whateverathy from me.

I could maybe sympathize with people doing the first season.  Reality TV was new back then.  they may have actually thought it would be real.  But, no more.  You should know what you're getting into.  The only reality show people I feel bad for are kids whose parents drag them into that mess.  I'm usually not for overlegislating, but I'm beginning to think that reality shows should be off-limits for minors to be on.

• Love 11
(edited)
6 hours ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

I still wish I knew why reality TV is still a thing. 

It's cheap, and for some reason people watch it. It wouldn't bother me so much if it didn't all seem so scripted. So what they're watching, in essence, are badly written soaps starring people who can't act.

Edited by Danny Franks
  • Love 20

Yeah. When reality TV was reality TV, I enjoyed some of it. But it went from reality to reality with groups of people with polar opposite personalities always in conflict with one another (where I jumped off) to scripted. 

• Love 2

Another dimension to reality TV that makes me stay far, far away is the rise of semi-professional reality stars -- the people who won't go away. They show up on "all-star" episodes of later seasons of the same shows or move from reality show to reality show no more talented than they started out but having gained name recognition. I suppose the audience likes getting what's familiar but it just seems so lazy.

• Love 10

While I consider myself quite the devoted Star Wars fan, I don't like TCW or Rebels. TCW had a couple of good arcs, but more miss than hit. Rebels was tolerable when I was drunk, but impossible to watch sober. Filoni will probably go on to create a third animated series. Fine, that's ignorable. I just don't want him to direct an SW movie. Not only do I not like his output so far, his whole career has been spent in animation. Nothing live-action at all. Let him do what he's all right at, don't force him outside that.

6 hours ago, Joe said:

While I consider myself quite the devoted Star Wars fan, I don't like TCW or Rebels. TCW had a couple of good arcs, but more miss than hit. Rebels was tolerable when I was drunk, but impossible to watch sober. Filoni will probably go on to create a third animated series. Fine, that's ignorable. I just don't want him to direct an SW movie. Not only do I not like his output so far, his whole career has been spent in animation. Nothing live-action at all. Let him do what he's all right at, don't force him outside that.

I feel the same, only with Rogue One. Didn't like it and didn't make it past 20 minutes of it.

I've got a whopper of a UO: I vastly prefer Randall to Kevin on This is Us. I find Kevin to be a loathsome, irresponsible, narcissistic, punchable, selfish, hedonistic douchenozzle (with the most punchable face on TV) who never, ever, ever suffers the consequences of his actions. Lord knows Randall has his faults, but at least the majority of his actions come from a more or less good place (and he at least apologizes when he wrongs someone). I'll admit to a bias: a lot of my Randall love stems from my deep and abiding love for Sterling K. Brown. 

And another thing: am I the only one sick to her eyeteeth of all these TV man-babies and their damned man-pain and how they never get theirs in spite of the emotional havoc they wreak? 

• Love 5
20 minutes ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

I've got a whopper of a UO: I vastly prefer Randall to Kevin on This is Us. I find Kevin to be a loathsome, irresponsible, narcissistic, punchable, selfish, hedonistic douchenozzle (with the most punchable face on TV) who never, ever, ever suffers the consequences of his actions. Lord knows Randall has his faults, but at least the majority of his actions come from a more or less good place (and he at least apologizes when he wrongs someone). I'll admit to a bias: a lot of my Randall love stems from my deep and abiding love for Sterling K. Brown. 

And another thing: am I the only one sick to her eyeteeth of all these TV man-babies and their damned man-pain and how they never get theirs in spite of the emotional havoc they wreak? 

I don't like any of them and took this show off my DVR 3 weeks ago!   :^D 

On February 26, 2018 at 11:23 AM, doram said:

UO: I haven't watched a single episode of Breaking Bad and I have no intention/desire to ever watch Breaking Bad.

I'm with you on that.  Then again, I watched "The Wire" first, so there is that.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Neurochick said:

So?  I'll still never watch Breaking Bad.

Agree, & I'm going to add Game Of Thrones, This Is Us, & any show with the word "housewives" or "bachelor: in the title to the list.

11 hours ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

I thought that opinion was popular?

• Love 22
18 hours ago, ganesh said:

I actually liked the Star Wars shows way way more than the movies. I was bored by TFA for the most part. 

I just watched The Last Jedi. I liked the animated Clone Wars and Rebels series more than The Force Awakens and The Last Jedi.

• Love 1

OK, here's a Star Wars UO, I have zero interest in  not only seeing any new movies but even less in seeing any TV productions. I haven't attempted any since ROTS (and the whole 1-3 Eps proved to be a bummer). IMO, continually seeking out new SW stuff expecting somehow to have things as fun and interesting as in Ep.#4  A New Hope  makes as much sense as eating oatmeal that's been reheated dozens of times and expecting things to be as fresh as the very first bowl of it yet setting oneself for another round of indigestion. Can't ONE person producing any authorized form of it do so without making it a wet smack?!

• Love 1
21 minutes ago, Blergh said:

OK, here's a Star Wars UO, I have zero interest in  not only seeing any new movies but even less in seeing any TV productions. I haven't attempted any since ROTS (and the whole 1-3 Eps proved to be a bummer). IMO, continually seeking out new SW stuff expecting somehow to have things as fun and interesting as in Ep.#4  A New Hope  makes as much sense as eating oatmeal that's been reheated dozens of times and expecting things to be as fresh as the very first bowl of it yet setting oneself for another round of indigestion. Can't ONE person producing any authorized form of it do so without making it a wet smack?!

Maybe the new stuff isn't 'original', but I have very little memory of seeing SW for the first time. It's never been original for me. Every so often, there's an interesting new take on the subject matter. I find things to enjoy even when treading over very familiar ground.

• Love 1

THere are a few good really real Reality Shows.  ‘Alone’, ‘Top Shot’, ‘Last Alaskans’ (which tells the story of Jewel’s family).  Too bad ‘Top Shot’ doesn’t seem to be filming anymore.

• Love 3
On 2/22/2018 at 10:41 AM, Pippin said:

Re children's shows.  If I may:

I'm going to try and find how many Canucks (and border-dwellers) of a certain age are lurking on this board:

"Look way way up ... (fill in the blank)"

Coming out of lurkdom to say the Friendly Giant was one of my favourites

• Love 3
On 3/11/2018 at 7:59 AM, Joe said:

Maybe the new stuff isn't 'original', but I have very little memory of seeing SW for the first time.

I think the movies deserve the criticism, but the two animation shows blow all the movies away imo. 

I don't think sitcoms are inferior and some have been trailblazing- especially for women and poc. Granted, others are very unfunny to me but those are usually the ones that lean politically in a way I don't agree with. But I loved The Golden Girls, The Nanny, Fresh Prince of Bel Air, Frasier, Friends, Roseanne, etc. I'm as likely, if not more so, to watch reruns from sitcoms than hour-long prestige dramas, tbh.

• Love 15

A UO for The Andy Griffith Show:

I like Helen, and Andy and Helen as a couple.

And while the show was never the same after Don Knotts left, there are PLENTY of perfectly fine color episodes. But, of course, if you DO hate the episodes without Barney, the show transitioned from B&W to color at the EXACT same time he left, which makes them easy to avoid (except for the episodes where he guest stars, of course). 

• Love 2

I don't hate the last episode of Girls. In fact, I actually appreciate that it took a very small, "life goes on" approach. It would have felt weird if it had a traditional series finale. That's not what Girls was about.

Now, granted, I never wanted Hannah to go through with her pregnancy, but it is what it is, and I'm glad they showed us where she was now, rather than just going for the "happily ever after" route. 

• Love 1