Type keyword(s) to search

Party of One: Unpopular TV Opinions

• Start Topic

12 hours ago, Danny Franks said:

I'd really like to watch Master of None, but am hamstrung by the fact I find Aziz Ansari really creepy. Nothing to do with the recent allegation against him, but there's just something about him that I find really off-putting.

And in an attempt to try to figure out why I have this distaste, I looked up some of his stand up, and found that it veers into Nice Guy territory, which seems very fitting for him. This, for example.

With all the praise he seems to get (or was getting), I was starting to think I was the only person who thought this. I could never get into Parks and Recreation, and I think he was the major reason why.

• Love 3
13 hours ago, Danny Franks said:

I'd really like to watch Master of None, but am hamstrung by the fact I find Aziz Ansari really creepy. Nothing to do with the recent allegation against him, but there's just something about him that I find really off-putting.

And in an attempt to try to figure out why I have this distaste, I looked up some of his stand up, and found that it veers into Nice Guy territory, which seems very fitting for him. This, for example.

I would say that the show is better than him.  I like Master of None a lot, but mostly because I love the depiction of New York.  And I love his circle of friends and I like the stories it tells.  The biggest weakness is when it veers into Aziz being a lead romance guy.  I simply don't buy him as a romantic lead. 

I'd recommend the Parents episode of Season 1, his real parents play his parents on the show and they really make the episode.  For Season 2 I'd recommend the New York I Love You episode where he only makes an appearance at the end.  And Most especially the Thanksgiving episode.  He is in it, but it centers on Lena Waithe coming out to her mom played by Angela Bassett over a series of Thanksgiving days that span several years. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, DearEvette said:

And Most especially the Thanksgiving episode.  He is in it, but it centers on Lena Waithe coming out to her mom played by Angela Bassett over a series of Thanksgiving days that span several years. 

That’s the Emmy-winning episode, correct?

I don't think Riverdale Season 2 is the massive mess people are making it out to be. It's all over the place and it's definitely in a slump, but I wouldn't give up on it yet. And trust me, I have no qualms about giving up on a show after a horrific season 2. Sleepy Hollow comes to mind.

• Love 5
On 2/17/2018 at 7:00 AM, Danny Franks said:

In my opinion the Mr. Nice Guy who can't find love is his whole shtick.  Then again anyone who knows me or has read any of my posts knows how much I loath the mere idea of "tropes"  one of my favorite shows Spartacus would be guilty of the Bury Your Gays trope and yet is had more then half a dozen gay characters many with long standing and quite beautiful storylines.  They just ended tragically but no more tragically then their heterosexual counterpart storylines.  Would that make the show homophobic considering two thirds of the cast dies bloodily?    Then again I don't believe in the bury your gays trope and think it gets over used.   But that is a different conversation.     I never found Aziz Ansari funny or even clever not because of the "trope" but because he was never very compelling or original.  

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, kathyk24 said:

I think I have the ultimate unpopular opinion. I didn't like Mr Rodgers Neighborhood growing up. I loved Sesame Street and the Electric Company instead.

I didn't really like Mr Rogers Neighborhood either.  The only part I liked was Imaginary Land, or whatever it was, with the puppets.  I remember, for whatever reason, his changing his shoes and sweater always annoyed me.  

Mister Rogers wasn't my favorite, either.  I was ok with his usual stuff, but when he went to the land of make believe or whatever he called it, I thought it was really creepy.  However, the more I've learned about him, the more I like him as a person. 

• Love 13
1 hour ago, Ohwell said:

I thought Mr. Rogers was creepy as hell.

I never watched growing up because my mother was completely creeped out by him.  As an adult and mom myself, I didn't have the same issue with Mr. Rogers (although my kids rarely watched him--our PBS station only showed eps early in the morning), but found Sesame Street to be far stranger than I remembered.  I don't even get me started on Odd Squad.

I loved Mister Rogers' Neighborhood and the titular character himself, but those puppets were definitely creepy as hell.

I also loved Sesame Street. Oscar the Grouch was my favorite character, which speaks volumes about my temperament beginning in very young childhood.

• Love 6
28 minutes ago, bilgistic said:

I loved Mister Rogers' Neighborhood and the titular character himself, but those puppets were definitely creepy as hell.

I also loved Sesame Street. Oscar the Grouch was my favorite character, which speaks volumes about my temperament beginning in very young childhood.

The puppets were atrocious and scary .  Probably hand made though.  His children’s park in PA is wonderful however.

With the exception of the puppets, I liked Mr. Rogers.  But my favorite was a The Electric Company.

• Love 1

I didn't find any of it creepy, but the Land of Make Believe segments were largely uninteresting to me - even as a child, I preferred reality-based fiction - other than Daniel Striped Tiger (because he's a cat), and the stuff in Mr. Rogers' living room was even more boring with the wardrobe change, so I watched Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood only for the Picture Picture segment, where he showed how something (in real life) was made; How It's Made (which I love) has always reminded me of that.

• Love 2

I preferred when we learned how things are made.  Especially crayons, which look like candy before getting wrapped up.  Both Mr. Rogers and Sesame Street did those segments and they were fascinating. 

Oscar and Cookie Monster were my everything though.  Childhood would have been bleaker without them.

• Love 10

I loved Bert and Ernie on "Sesame Street". I used to own a couple Bert and Ernie stuffed toys. "Monsterpiece Theater", and Kermit's news reporter segments were other favorites as well :D. 

I liked Mister Rogers, too, but I don't recall nearly as many of the segments of that show. I mostly just remember the puppets and the train set.

5 minutes ago, scarynikki12 said:

I preferred when we learned how things are made.  Especially crayons, which look like candy before getting wrapped up.  Both Mr. Rogers and Sesame Street did those segments and they were fascinating. 

Oh, yeah, the crayon thing was cool. 

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Bastet said:

I didn't find any of it creepy, but the Land of Make Believe segments were largely uninteresting to me - even as a child, I preferred reality-based fiction - other than Daniel Striped Tiger (because he's a cat), and the stuff in Mr. Rogers' living room was even more boring with the wardrobe change, so I watched Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood only for the Picture Picture segment, where he showed how something (in real life) was made; How It's Made (which I love) has always reminded me of that.

I'd forgotten about that! So good!

• Love 1
13 hours ago, scarynikki12 said:

Oscar and Cookie Monster were my everything though.  Childhood would have been bleaker without them.

I still remember seeing the crayon segment! I'm not sure which program, but I have vivid memories of this.

• Love 3

Actually, I LIKED the Neighborhood of Make Believe because folks there actually had disagreements but would work things out by the end of the week whereas in Mister Rogers's actual neighborhood, everything was perfect but rather boring. However; I always liked the 'how stuff is made ' segments and demonstrations and still do!

BTW, IIRC correctly, Lady Elaine was based on an older neighbor Fred Rogers had known as a child!

• Love 7
15 hours ago, bilgistic said:

Yea they could be sometimes >_>. Got to see a re run of an ep where King Friday lost his head. O_o

Found a good interview about King Friday.

Loved both shows though. Mr. Rogers and Oscar the Grouch forever!

Any Mathnet fans here? Loved that show.

14 hours ago, Annber03 said:

I loved Bert and Ernie on "Sesame Street". I used to own a couple Bert and Ernie stuffed toys. "Monsterpiece Theater", and Kermit's news reporter segments were other favorites as well :D. 

I liked Mister Rogers, too, but I don't recall nearly as many of the segments of that show. I mostly just remember the puppets and the train set.

Oh, yeah, the crayon thing was cool. 

OMG. I remember the Kermit news segments! :D He was awesome.

As for Mr. Rogers, I remember the videos and stuff. One time I was up late with my mom (was in high school at the time) and one of his eps came on and there was a video during it about spoon making. We both stayed up to watch it.  :D Haven't forgotten it.  He's truly for people of all ages.

Holy cow! Just found the best crossover ever! Mr. Rogers visiting Sesame Street! :D

Edited by AntiBeeSpray
  • Love 5
14 hours ago, Annber03 said:

Even as a kid, I never liked Bert and Ernie very much. Bert was just too miserable and sour for me. My Sesame Street favourites were Oscar the Grouch, Grover and the Cookie Monster. And as I got a little older, Count von Count.

I never liked Big Bird, although Snuffy was okay.

• Love 2
46 minutes ago, scarynikki12 said:

The Count and those random aliens were always dark horse favorites as well.  

Elmo, on the other hand, needs to retire. 

Word. Love The Count. He was my fave along with Oscar, his worm friends, Snuffy, Bert and Ernie. Couldn't stand Big Bird or Elmo. Laughed my butt off years later though when I found out that Big Bird and Oscar were played by the same person at times. Talk about mind blowing. Threw me for a loop there lol.

• Love 3

OK here's one, I never liked The Nanny, primarily because, apart from occasionally gushing over her charges, Fran barely interacted with them- just spent  virtually every waking moment shopping and gossiping! It might have worked better had she started out clueless re what a nanny was supposed to do but then be willing to learn the ropes but still have fun being a fish out of water (and she could have still had interactions with her family and friends- as lots of hardworking folks manage to do) . However; Fran didn't even seem to try to do anything yet expected to get paid to just shop and gossip! Those kids' father might as well have just gotten them a goldfish to take care of them (and not vice versa).  BTW, I've seen Miss Drescher  in other things and IMO she's okay in small doses or as a good background character but this was not a role I liked her in.

• Love 1

Here's an UO: I think English comedy in general is overrated. I don't think the English are bad at it or anything, Eddie Izzard is one of my favorite comedians, and I do think they are more gifted at comedy than drama (or, more accurately, certain types of drama). But their humor is so often hailed as borderline genius, absolutely top-notch, so I watch the show/movie everyone's talking about and I get the jokes....they just aren't that funny.

• Love 16

I saw an ad for the Oscars and it reminded me how hugely I don’t care for TV award shows. The various ones for TV, music, or movies and the mixed up ones for various and made up categories I dislike them all. It doesn’t matter if they are peer voted or general public voted. I actively avoid them and avoid people who want to discuss them with me. I find the explosion of awards a self congratulatory band aid for a group  of people who have a gasping need for validation and ego stroking.

I also despise the speeches. I find them either maudlin, boring, preachy or a combination. I don’t have any interest in a celebrity opining on current events or political policies. In fact the more they chatter on more I find myself disliking them, no matter how talented they are. Maybe that’s unfair but I don’t care, we don’t have a relationship. I can’t recall the last time I watched an award show, more than ten years probably, and I have no desire to watch one any time in the future. 

Whew, that felt good to get off my chest. I guess I’ve been holding onto that. 

• Love 13

I still don't want to watch any award shows, but the only awards I think worth having are the ones where the people aren't already getting gobs of attention.  So, make up, lighting, wardrobe.  Best Extra.  We need a category for Best Extra.  I mean, seriously, people who are already making millions of dollars, adored by millions (or not) do not need a tangible statue.  Especially when the whole thing feels so arbitrary anyway.  I would only even consider watching award shows if movies that nobody ever heard of, or were just bad, were considered for some awards.  Now, I know that sounded confusing.  Of course a bad movie wouldn't get best picture or best screenplay, or probably even best directing.  But, if an actor turned out a really good performance with really bad material, maybe he deserves an award more than someone who gave a good performance with good material.  And, certainly a bad movie could still have the good costumes and make up and lighting and such that I mentioned earlier.

• Love 7

I used to regularly watch award shows, especially the "big" ones like the Oscars and Grammys.  However, I, too, haven't watched them in over 10 years, mainly because I don't like as many of the nominees as I used to, and because I'm tired of the speeches, and now the ribbon-wearing, dressing alike for a cause, etc.  Yes, they're entitled to express themselves just like anyone else, but I don't need to see or hear it because I just.don't.care.

• Love 8

I used to watch the Emmys, Golden Globes (they serve alcohol so there's chance of drunken hijinx) and the Oscars. Now I watch the red carpet shows solely to post about them live here with the hilarious folks in the threads, and turn off the TV after the opening skits. 

The kinds of shows I like are rarely nominated and I haven't seen a movie in a theater since...jeez, maybe the turn of the current century. 

• Love 7

I don't mind actors, etc., talking about their causes or politics on the red carpet. I just think the fashion is boring and I rarely agree with the nominees (Jennifer Lawrence should be barred from being nominated for the next ten years).

• Love 5
10 minutes ago, slf said:

I don't mind actors, etc., talking about their causes or politics on the red carpet. I just think the fashion is boring and I rarely agree with the nominees (Jennifer Lawrence should be barred from being nominated for the next ten years).

This is my view, pretty much. I only ever watch awards shows if somebody I like is 1) nominated for something, 2) performing if it's the Grammys, or 3) hosting (Colbert hosting the Emmys, for instance).

• Love 3
18 hours ago, ABay said:

I haven't seen a movie in a theater since...jeez, maybe the turn of the current century. 

Not sure if this is a UO or just an O, but me neither.

I used to go to the movies 2-3 times a week and now there's just nothing that interests me enough to overcome my spoiled laziness. (Milk Duds mixed into theater popcorn notwithstanding.)

Waiting until I can watch something at home isn't a hardship, and a lot cheaper.

Edited by 2727
  • Love 7
On 2/19/2018 at 6:55 PM, kathyk24 said:

I think I have the ultimate unpopular opinion. I didn't like Mr Rodgers Neighborhood growing up. I loved Sesame Street and the Electric Company instead.

I have never seen Mr. Rogers, my mother hated his voice and thought he was patronizing. I was a Fraggle Rock girl.

Edited by Constant Viewer
spelling error
  • Love 1
13 hours ago, ramble said:

I saw an ad for the Oscars and it reminded me how hugely I don’t care for TV award shows. The various ones for TV, music, or movies and the mixed up ones for various and made up categories I dislike them all. It doesn’t matter if they are peer voted or general public voted. I actively avoid them and avoid people who want to discuss them with me. I find the explosion of awards a self congratulatory band aid for a group  of people who have a gasping need for validation and ego stroking.

I also despise the speeches. I find them either maudlin, boring, preachy or a combination. I don’t have any interest in a celebrity opining on current events or political policies. In fact the more they chatter on more I find myself disliking them, no matter how talented they are. Maybe that’s unfair but I don’t care, we don’t have a relationship. I can’t recall the last time I watched an award show, more than ten years probably, and I have no desire to watch one any time in the future. 

Whew, that felt good to get off my chest. I guess I’ve been holding onto that. 

I also never watch award shows. I have no interest in the performances or the speeches or what people were wearing so the award shows have nothing I'm interested in except the announcements of the winners. If I'm interested in the awards I'll look up the winners online and save myself a few hours by not watching the show.

• Love 4

I think I have the ultimate unpopular opinion. I didn't like Mr Rodgers Neighborhood growing up.

8 hours ago, Constant Viewer said:

I have never seen Mr. Rodgers, my mother hated his voice and thought he was patronizing. I was a Fraggle Rock girl.

It's Mr. Rogers. No 'd' in his name.

I watched ALL the shows and loved them all: Sesame Street, The Electric Company, Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood, Fraggle Rock. And all the Loony Tunes, Tom & Jerry, Mighty Mouse, Woody Woodpecker, Droopy, Popeye, Flintstones, Jetsons...

• Love 10

My UO is about the show "Catfish."

I don't have a problem with Nev's wife but many people seem to hate her.  What did she do, commit capital murder or something?  I don't get the hate (or the Kelly Ripa/Rachael Ray hate either).

Someone please enlighten me.

• Love 4

My UO is about the show "Catfish."

I don't have a problem with Nev's wife but many people seem to hate her.  What did she do, commit capital murder or something?  I don't get the hate (or the Kelly Ripa/Rachael Ray hate either).

I do not really have a problem with her either. I would say I am more indifferent to her than anything. I don't think her fairly brief scenes are that big of a deal.

12 minutes ago, bilgistic said:
49 minutes ago, ganesh said:

What the hell is that?

Exactly.

I saw that picture and, I swear, I have no words........

I don't even think a Kardashian would do that. 

• Love 3