Type keyword(s) to search

S13.E04: It's A Dry Heat

Tara Ariano
  • Start Topic

omg, "It was like snot on a rock"   Classic, Padma!!!  Quote of the week...   And couldn't have happened to a more precocious idiot....

I'm glad Wesley won the quickfire.   His self-awareness of his image as a messy chef is to his credit.

Edited by DHDancer
  • Love 16

Wesley was also a messy hot tub participant.

Jeremy is my pick to win this. First winner in the first episode, smart thinking in everything he does. His food is attractive on the screen to where I want to taste it.

Grayson is her own worst enemy. Padma had the ultimate bitchface/ducklips expression when Grayson said she shouldn't go home. And she cannot stop arguing with Tom, when he's trying to give her constructive criticism. Dammit... you cooked the corn. Shut up and go away. I hope she sinks in LCK.

• Love 14

So what's with the swipe of sauce up the side of the bowls?  It looks truly awful to me, and how in the heck are you supposed to be able to utilize it?

Interesting that it was all about being cool, refreshing and yet good flavors.  I'm glad Grayson is gone: she just couldn't take responsibility for anything she does.

Edited to add that apparently the sauce up the side of the bowl is now called a "splash".  Another pretention...

Edited by DHDancer
  • Love 10

I'm not sad to see Grayson go, but I also wanted to see Angelina go since she was the "expert" on Spanish cooking on her team. And, I think that "Manbun" guy is an insufferable, self-absorbed idiot. Wish he had been on the red/orange team so he could've been in contention to be knifed.

• Love 14

Man Bun is a twit. Has he served a decent plate of food yet?

Hey Grayson, get back to me when you are willing to take responsibility for something. Being on the bottom every single challenge (except for one, maybe?) should be a clue that you're not the fabulous chef you believe yourself to be. Time for a reality check.

• Love 9

Watching the judges react to Philip plating under the tablecloth cracked me up.

I am so glad Grayson is gone. I still have no idea why she was here in the first place. She cannot take responsibility for anything. Also, getting defensive with the judges is never good. What was she saying when she shook the judges hands after she was knifed? I thought Tom tried to say something and she responded, but I missed what was said. Then her "fuck this" as she walked off, so disrespectful. I would have gave her props if she left with some self awareness and class, but she did not.

Being an extremely pale girl I would have had to bring a ton of SPF 50 with me if I was out in the sun like the cheftestants were.

Edited by Misslindsey
  • Love 6

Grayson is her own worst enemy. Padma had the ultimate bitchface/ducklips expression when Grayson said she shouldn't go home. And she cannot stop arguing with Tom, when he's trying to give her constructive criticism. Dammit... you cooked the corn. Shut up and go away. I hope she sinks in LCK.

She somehow had a talking head where she revealed that she made the executive decision to not use uncooked corn after the judges said she should and another where she felt that Angelina should go home even though the judges said that the corn was the problem in the dish. Really?!? This is her second go-around and she can't understand that on this show that sometimes things you aren't responsible for will send you home, but things that you can directly control will always send you home.

I don't like Angelina, but Grayson is a sour entitled snot. Actually the only difference between the two of them is that Grayson has ten years on Angelina.

Edited by HunterHunted
  • Love 18

Good. Now I can fully watch this show without having to skip over her excessive talking heads. Did Grayson really imply the judges should've given her preferential treatment because of seniority? lol, like who gassed this girl's head up before coming back on this show? And she still persisted in being bitter and whiny til the end, arguing with Tom while shaking his hand and mouthing off as she left.

Angelina reminds me of Patty from New Orleans, only obnoxious and unlikable. Giselle got a break by dodging that partnership.

• Love 8

In her post-elimination rant, Grayson started off with how unfair it was that she was singled out for the offending dish, since they both worked on it.  Then later in the same rant, she said something about how SHE had a ton of experience, SHE was older, SHE cooked the corn... wait, what?  And she didn't say it in a, "I'll own it" way, but en route toward a point about how it sucked that she was kicked off.

And there are some items that can make sense served on rocks (I would have loved to have seen someone heat the rocks in the oven and have the judges cook their own Wagyu beef strips), but lord those oysters looked nasty!

• Love 3

Did Grayson really imply the judges should've given her preferential treatment because of seniority?

Maybe the judges felt since Grayson was older and more experienced than Angelina, she should have known better than to cook the corn.  Seniority is a double edged sword.

• Love 9

Tonight wound up being my only time to clean the house for a dinner party this weekend, so this was merely background noise.  So, from that limited exposure, I have only two comments thus far:

As someone astounded that a gender slur has become an acceptable element of casual conversation, I loved Jiselle (I think?*) saying she would not work with someone who called her a bitch.

While I disliked Grayson this time around, as opposed to her first appearance when I quite enjoyed her, and both respect and generally like Tom, I get an absolute kick out of her disdain for him and am somewhat sad to be without it for the rest of the season. 

Oh, one more: The judges' reaction to Philip (?*) explaining his dish from under a tablecloth pretty much made my night.

*Why can't they put the chefs' names and faces in the intro as per usual?!

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 10

I do not, do not, do not like these team set-ups.  Why can't the chefs be judged individually?  I wonder if Philip would have gone had he not been on the blue team. 

Not sorry to see Grayson go, and I really wonder if past performance/attitude didn't come into it, despite what they say.  Of course, in that case, it probably would have been Angelina for sure.  Has she been on the bottom every time?  It seems that way!

• Love 1

Is Phillip capable of NOT being a pretentious douche?

"It was liike snot on a rock!" Oh, Padma. You lose me and then reel me back in. Although that comment was suspiciously off camera and sounded like it was recorded in post, who cares? Phillip sucks and is a moron for thinking a hot ass rock is a good serving option for something eaten ice cold.

• Love 8

Not from the outset, as I recall...they joined after the first round of eliminations.

That season had an audition round that the three didn't have to compete in but they were there from the first real challenge. So I don't see the difference at all.

blais..."the shrimp was a tad overcooked".....what does tht even mean?  are you implying that your pallette is so delicate that you can tell if something was cooked 2 seconds over it was intended to be?  or maybe.....you're in freaking palm springs and the freaking heat might have something to do with it?

padma..."like snot on a rock"......biatch, please.  we know where your mouth has been to get to where you are right now.

is it just me or is tom very cocky this season?

oh yeah.....keep showing us more naked jeremy.....only thing worth watching this season.  show is kinda getting old and annoying at this point.

Edited by lovebug1975
  • Love 6

Was anyone surprised by the elimination this week? Still too many chefs and none of the dishes were really all that exciting. The California road trip is interesting in theory, but going from Santa Barbara to Palm Springs? I think they really need a geographer to help them plan out their journey.

blais..."the shrimp was a tad overcooked".....what does tht even mean?  are you implying that your pallette is so delicate that you can tell if something was cooked 2 seconds over it was intended to be?  or maybe.....you're in freaking palm springs and the freaking heat might have something to do with it?

padma..."like snot on a rock"......biatch, please.  we know where your mouth has been to get to where you are right now.

is it just me or is tom very cocky this season?

oh yeah.....keep showing us more naked jeremy.....only thing worth watching this season.  show is kinda getting old and annoying at this point.

When is Tom not very cocky? Too bad there's no one else willing to call him out. If only he was a judge on top chef masters where he can't just brush off criticism from the competitors.

• Love 4

The biggest problem with Grayson was the fact that as an older and more seasoned chef, not to mention a Top Chef contestant for the second time, she should have not used that corn if she even had a moment's hesitation. Of course there would be an expectation that her greater experience would come into play. Instead, she tried to show that Angelina was equally to blame. Grayson, please pack your arrogance and go.

• Love 5

Seconds into the quickfire and all I could think was please, please, please E-Nun-Cee-ATE (at the oddest places) your ass home already.  So I owe Grayson maybe a little e-holiday card for doing so.

Manbun is tool and a fool.  Is anybody keeping track of how much and varied he tries to name/label drop?  Maybe the next clean quickfire can be in a landfill and he can serve his food on a pile of trash.

Also a quibble Padma.  A windmill farm is not clean energy at work.  Turning on my lights thanks to the power generated from said windmill farm would be such clean energy at work. 

Wesley somehow put Fat Joe Scarborough into my head and no matter how well he did and now that won't go away.  Sorry Welsey.  But there it is.

And what is with the editing?  We had a couple of Kwame reaction shots to Jose's judging comments during the quickfire and yet did we even know what Kwame cooked since we didn't see Jose and Padma.

Ultimately this soon and I'm having a hard time with this season.  Cooking with something that most probably had never heard of let alone worked with in the Quickfire and then the cart silliness.  Yeah.  Gimmick city. 

Edited by tenativelyyours
  • Love 2

In the Seattle season CJ, Stefan and Josie were all invited back.

At least there was some semblance of reason why they were there, as "mentors, captains" of the three teams the chefs were split into. Grayson just appeared out of nowhere for no apparent reason given. And bitched and complained the entire time, saying "fuck you" on her way out the door. I hope to never see her again.

• Love 6

Tonight....

1. Its funny when the two worst chefs in the competition are the two biggest divas -- "I won't work with Angeline" "I won't work with Giselle" -- neither of you is all that special, and its funny that the much more talented chefs don't seem to have qualms about working with anyone.

2. Man Bun and serving oysters on a dirty ass rock.  That shit is gross.  I don't care how much you washed off that rock that has been sitting out in the hot ass dusty desert for 200 years, probably sitting on top of a colony of bugs....thats dirty.  I'm shocked Padma ate that, because I don't think I would have eaten that and I'm not even close to being a picky eater.  I would eat Wesley's food all day before I ate an oyster off a dirty ass rock.

3. I guess Man Bun's wife is as good at dessert as she is at being a model/actress

4.  I really like this show because there are really so many people I can relate to.  I've been like Kwame....if everyone is talking about how well they did, and I feel like I may have messed up, I just feel terrible.  And I also feel the way the gay guy feels (sorry, I know thats offensive, but I seriously can't remember his name), sometimes I just feel like everyone is best friends and I'm on the outside looking in.

5. You just know Padma wanted to send both Angelina and Grayson home.  They should have pulled the trigger on both of them.  Its one thing to make a bad dish and be gracious in defeat.  It's another to get standoffish and defensive.

6.  I really liked Jose Andreas and I thought those little sun ovens/stoves were amazing.  I think those could take off, and you could see a smaller, more boutique type restaurant trying to cook with them for a specialized crowd.

7.  Wow Grayson, a bitch till the very end.  Maybe they gave Angelina another chance because at least she is young and able to learn.  You keep saying you're older and wiser, and you still suck and you keep being a bitch.  Does she think that any of that made her look good tonight?  You clearly don't agree with Tom, but at least have the respect to listen to his position.  

Wesley was also a messy hot tub participant.

There is a time when you just have to accept you're no longer a fit 20 year old pole vaulter...and throw those short away.  Those things were almost indecent.

But I can't help but like him.  I'm glad he won the quickfire.  At least he seems cognizant of how things might appear to a viewing audience at home.  He should have a talk with Grayson

• Love 5

Seconds into the quickfire and all I could think was please, please, please E-Nun-Cee-ATE (at the oddest places) your ass home already.  So I owe Grayson maybe a little e-holiday card for doing so.

Manbun is tool and a fool.  Is anybody keeping track of how much and varied he tries to name/label drop?  Maybe the next clean quickfire can be in a landfill and he can serve his food on a pile of trash.

Also a quibble Padma.  A windmill farm is not clean energy at work.  Turning on my lights thanks to the power generated from said windmill farm would be such clean energy at work. 

Wesley somehow put Fat Joe Scarborough into my head and no matter how well he did and now that won't go away.  Sorry Welsey.  But there it is.

And what is with the editing?  We had a couple of Kwame reaction shots to Jose's judging comments during the quickfire and yet did we even know what Kwame cooked since we didn't see Jose and Padma.

Ultimately this soon and I'm having a hard time with this season.  Cooking with something that most probably had never heard of let alone worked with in the Quickfire and then the cart silliness.  Yeah.  Gimmick city. 

I'm just wondering how many hours judging took.  It started when it was light and sunny and ended at night.  That must have taken quite a bit of time.  IIRC this show filmed in the summer (which is when PS would be about one billion degrees) so it shouldn't get dark so quick.  I'm in California and in the summer you can get light until about 7-8pm.

I'm just so tickled that they keep going to places I've been.  Palm Springs is such a relaxing oasis.

I remember my mother and I driving there like seven years ago.  And neither of us had been to Palm Springs in years.  And so as we're driving along we see one same sex couple, no big deal, another one...whatever.  And suddenly we notice that like 90% of the couples are gay.  And it wasn't a big deal, it was just interesting to see so many same sex couples.  My mom was like "people are going to think we're a lesbian couple!"  to which I said "well, I'm young and pretty and you're paying for everything, people will think I'm a golddigger!"  We still laugh about that trip.

• Love 4

Just got caught up on this season, and...*sigh*

When I first saw that Grayson was back, I was excited because I'd liked her the first time around.  She was brash and funny, with occasional foot-in-mouth disease.  Someone who wasn't going to win--even if Paul hadn't been as amazing as he was--but she was entertaining and enjoyable to watch.  Now I wonder if the reason I liked her was because she wasn't so bad when compared to the Mean Girls, because watching her in these four episodes has been excruciating.

As for not getting an explanation for why they brought her back, I don't remember getting an explanation for the return of Josie, Stefan, and C.J., either.

• Love 5

I watched it all again--with laser beam attention--and it was slightly more cohesive than I thought when I was grinching out above.  (Still definitely gimmicky.) 

It did seem, at judging, that "Blue Team" won primarily because they had the favorite dish--there wasn't any discussion about the Spicy Bright Bold Mexican Flavors Theme versus The Emphasis on Vegetables Progression.   And oddly, it seemed like the most successful thing about the winning dish was snuggling the plastic bowl down inside a second plastic bowl ice bath.  Tom compliments the flavors, but Blais and Besh only address the presentation.  That's how you know you really care about your customers.  Huh.

Unpopular minority opinion, but I thought Angelina's rubbery shrimp probably earned the ding more than not using raw corn.  Raw corn doesn't really sound very intuitive, except for salsas and salads.  Why would you put cold raw corn in a warm chorizo hash?  

Somebody heated up white grapes, which sounds way dumber for a 200 degree dining environment than cooked corn.  The grape dish was adjusted for the second wave, however, so I wonder if Grayson got the boot because she didn't follow the advice from the first judicial golfcart?  Maybe they were all just tired of her pissy attitude, too.

This episode revolved around everyone being too damn hot.  Get back in the kitchen, for crying out loud. 

• Love 5

I watched it all again--with laser beam attention--and it was slightly more cohesive than I thought when I was grinching out above.  (Still definitely gimmicky.) 

It did seem, at judging, that "Blue Team" won primarily because they had the favorite dish--there wasn't any discussion about the Spicy Bright Bold Mexican Flavors Theme versus The Emphasis on Vegetables Progression.   And oddly, it seemed like the most successful thing about the winning dish was snuggling the plastic bowl down inside a second plastic bowl ice bath.  Tom compliments the flavors, but Blais and Besh only address the presentation.  That's how you know you really care about your customers.  Huh.

Unpopular minority opinion, but I thought Angelina's rubbery shrimp probably earned the ding more than not using raw corn.  Raw corn doesn't really sound very intuitive, except for salsas and salads.  Why would you put cold raw corn in a warm chorizo hash?  

Somebody heated up white grapes, which sounds way dumber for a 200 degree dining environment than cooked corn.  The grape dish was adjusted for the second wave, however, so I wonder if Grayson got the boot because she didn't follow the advice from the first judicial golfcart?  Maybe they were all just tired of her pissy attitude, too.

This episode revolved around everyone being too damn hot.  Get back in the kitchen, for crying out loud. 

I didn't understand serving Mexican food in an environment that is pretty much the surface of the sun.  Palm Springs heat is no joke.  The last thing I would want to eat in that oppressive heat is heavy, spicy food.  And I thought it was pretty amusing, because weren't those the same guys that completely failed doing Mexican food before?  Didn't one of them make a weird carrot?  The blue teams menu just sounded lighter and cooler, which sounds nice when you're trying to play golf in the heat.

I know Wesley did the grilled grapes, or heated grapes, but it still sounded nice against the cool yogurt.  The corn and chorizo hash with shrimp just sounded heavy, even if it was perfectly executed.  

• Love 4

I feel like our window into the judging is closing. We are no longer seeing a robust discussion of each dish and the overall theme or progression. Now we basically get a few offhand comments during tasting, and a summary discussion of the top and bottom dishes. I prefer to hear the dishes discussed fully and versus each other. Maybe when their are less contestants.

• Love 12

Do we usually see the eliminated chef walk over to the judges, shake each of their hands and exchange conversation with each of them, as we saw happen with Grayson?  How convenient that we got to see yet another opportunity for Tom Coliccio to criticize her and yet another opportunity for her to argue, be ungracious and bitter. 

While I think her crash-and-burn was of her own making and she gave them plenty of bad attitude, I also think she was specifically edited to look horrible. They've done positive editing on nasty people.   And while I love Tom C., I think some of that is his doing.  I do't think he wanted her back, so he was determined to make it the worst experience of her life.  I may be totally wrong, but it felt that way to me.  He's a producer, so he's got some juice.  

Edited by leighdear
  • Love 3

Hate to add one more gritch against Grayson, but her attitude of self-entitlement is almost more than I can take.  If at ANY time, her position as a comeback called on her to be modest, this was the time.  Instead, she behaved like a poor loser at the least word of criticism, setting herself up for elimination by the judges.

Bradley seems head and shoulders above the rest in terms of cooking skills and likeability.  As he stands now, he's a front runner for the top prize.

I've stood almost exactly where the contestants were taken to cook, and I think it was a nasty place to take them for a challenge, especially in the unrelenting heat of the summer.  Add to it those wild solar stoves, and you've provided a visit to Hell for them.

Jose Andres, with his sense of humor and lack of an overblown ego, stole the show for me.  Someone had to save this mess, and I'm glad it was Jose.

• Love 2

Is Phillip capable of NOT being a pretentious douche?

I noticed his smirk when the orange team was getting its critique and thought his smugness was a bit out of place since he was the weakest link on his team, which was kind of excellent after how much he talked up his wife's dessert - what, basically a rice pudding that didn't set well with some fruit?

Unpopular minority opinion, but I thought Angelina's rubbery shrimp probably earned the ding more than not using raw corn.  Raw corn doesn't really sound very intuitive, except for salsas and salads.  Why would you put cold raw corn in a warm chorizo hash?

For me, Angelina would have gone because shrimp's the point of the dish and it's overcooked (and I hate overcooked shrimp). The hash could have been outstanding (but really, in 100+ degrees? Ugh.), but if the primary element of the dish is tough or rubbery, the dish still would have sucked, in my opinion.  I didn't like Grayson and am not sorry to see her gone, but I'm losing my patience with Angelina because I feel like her youth gets her a pass. I can understand being a bit intimidated and perhaps overwhelmed, but many of the other chefs seem to be somewhat protective of her because she's so young and inexperienced. I wonder if/how that will change as time goes on because I think Angelina has a crappy attitude. She also doesn't seem to be all that great at her trade.

Jose Andres, with his sense of humor and lack of an overblown ego, stole the show for me.  Someone had to save this mess, and I'm glad it was Jose.

I liked him too and I thought his comments were the most insightful of all the judges. He wasn't easy on them, but he gave them solid criticism that would be helpful in modifying their dishes - such as Wesley did.

I have to admit: I'm liking Wesley. Yeah, he's kind of a mess, but it seems to me that he's really trying and absorbing what he's being told - you know, actually growing from the experience. I can respect that. Plus, when he cooks something I think "I would give that a try." (Unlike Phillip and the oyster on the rock. Just no.)

And finally, the chef who was pouting about the evening hot tub fun: relax!!!! Any time cooking in the desert would make for a grueling day's work, so I can't blame any of the chefs for cutting loose. Yep, that was a lot of people in that hot tub and yep, they were drinking beer and kind of rowdy - there were people jumping in the pool -- OMG! My guess is that it didn't last too long because Palm Springs has some pretty tight noise restrictions, from what I understand. Anyway, there's no reason to be put off by it. If you aren't into the scene, take a glass of wine inside and unwind in your own way, or do what I would do: pull up a chair along the pool and enjoy the show. It's a good way to learn about your fellow chefs, these people you'll be living with for (hopefully) the next month.

• Love 7

I noticed his smirk when the orange team was getting its critique and thought his smugness was a bit out of place since he was the weakest link on his team, which was kind of excellent after how much he talked up his wife's dessert - what, basically a rice pudding that didn't set well with some fruit?

For me, Angelina would have gone because shrimp's the point of the dish and it's overcooked (and I hate overcooked shrimp). The hash could have been outstanding (but really, in 100+ degrees? Ugh.), but if the primary element of the dish is tough or rubbery, the dish still would have sucked, in my opinion.  I didn't like Grayson and am not sorry to see her gone, but I'm losing my patience with Angelina because I feel like her youth gets her a pass. I can understand being a bit intimidated and perhaps overwhelmed, but many of the other chefs seem to be somewhat protective of her because she's so young and inexperienced. I wonder if/how that will change as time goes on because I think Angelina has a crappy attitude. She also doesn't seem to be all that great at her trade.

I liked him too and I thought his comments were the most insightful of all the judges. He wasn't easy on them, but he gave them solid criticism that would be helpful in modifying their dishes - such as Wesley did.

I have to admit: I'm liking Wesley. Yeah, he's kind of a mess, but it seems to me that he's really trying and absorbing what he's being told - you know, actually growing from the experience. I can respect that. Plus, when he cooks something I think "I would give that a try." (Unlike Phillip and the oyster on the rock. Just no.)

And finally, the chef who was pouting about the evening hot tub fun: relax!!!! Any time cooking in the desert would make for a grueling day's work, so I can't blame any of the chefs for cutting loose. Yep, that was a lot of people in that hot tub and yep, they were drinking beer and kind of rowdy - there were people jumping in the pool -- OMG! My guess is that it didn't last too long because Palm Springs has some pretty tight noise restrictions, from what I understand. Anyway, there's no reason to be put off by it. If you aren't into the scene, take a glass of wine inside and unwind in your own way, or do what I would do: pull up a chair along the pool and enjoy the show. It's a good way to learn about your fellow chefs, these people you'll be living with for (hopefully) the next month.

I absolutely agree with you about Angelina.  I think she has an awful attitude.  Just awful.

From my point of view.....you can either have a shitty attitude or shitty food.  But you can't have both.  So, she can hit the bricks.

Has she ever not been in the bottom?  Yet she talks about how things have to be "perfectly executed" or how she is in some epic battle with the other terrible chef.  Has she perfectly executed anything in this competition?  Girl, bye.  The feud between her and Giselle is a hilarious race to the bottom.  Grayson was the only other chef crappy enough to beat them both.

I like Wesley, but no more short shorts.

I cut the hot tub guy some slack, because I've felt the way I think he is feeling.  I don't think its anger, I think he is just feeling hurt because he is left out of the clique.  Its like the nerd in a John Hughes film who has to take a class with all the jocks and the cheerleaders.  No one wants to feel like the outsider looking in, and I hope he'll find his clique as the competition narrows down.

• Love 11

Yeah, having worked in a very bro-y environment (I'm a black woman without bro tendencies), it's really lonely if that's not your scene. I was miserable working there, and at least I got to go home at the end of the day. He has no escape.

Angelina isn't as good as she thinks, and Grayson remains an asshole.

I fell out at "It was like snot on a rock." We eat with our eyes first and that just looked unappealing. Man Bun is such a tool - his dessert didn't look good either. He's another who's not as good as he thinks.

I haaaaaaate hot weather - I was sweating just looking at them. Ugh.

• Love 17