Type keyword(s) to search

Janelle Brown: Smarter Than Your Average Brown (Maybe)

• Start Topic

The ones you drive seem more sturdy.

Friends of mine lived in one you drive for about five years full time. They took excellent care of it and it was in great shape when they finally decided to move back to a regular home. Those are definitely ones you can live in full time in varied climates but you have to do a lot of upkeep and I'm not sure Janelle strikes me as the type.

But their money decisions alway befuddle me!

I'd love a deep dive on their finances. Their financial decisions always seem to me to be very short-term based. 

• Like 5
  • Love 3

Around here the folks I know who have RVs like Janelle's pretty much park them at a seasonal RV park year round and use them as a summer weekend/vacation home.

So Meri is paying for a rental she's never in. Janelle's paying for an RV she doesn't use. All of them are paying for land that is uninhabitable. 

And didn't Robyn and Kody just start up a financial adviser business? 🤔🙃

• Like 2
  • LOL 10
21 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

Around here the folks I know who have RVs like Janelle's pretty much park them at a seasonal RV park year round and use them as a summer weekend/vacation home.

So Meri is paying for a rental she's never in. Janelle's paying for an RV she doesn't use. All of them are paying for land that is uninhabitable. 

Sure, but if their clientele are typical LDS types, they're starting with the kind of mentality that thinks "bleeding the beast" is a reasonable practice and that MLMs will make them rich, so it's right up their alley. "Exploit your multiple children's lives to make millions hundreds of thousands a few extra bucks despite the fact that viewers are pretty tired of huge and/or polygamous families" seems like sound advice to them.

• Sad 2
  • Applause 1
55 minutes ago, Cetacean said:

By nature of the fact they are towed, they need to be as light as possible.  Dragging something sturdy and substantial would eat up gas to the point where you'd get 4 miles to the gallon.  Thus they use cheap, light wood and plastic for pretty much all of the construction.  If you've ever seen one of those things after a wreck, they are just a pile of rubble. I doubt they even use anything of substance for framing.  It's like living in a aluminum roaster pan.

I’m finding this conversation fascinating…

for some reason I always assumed that RV’s were built the same way as mobile homes that people live in for years.

Several years ago we rented a Winnebago and it was built like a tank, I hadn’t thought that it would be any different than an RV or mobile home…. This place is like a school, I learn something new every day 👍🏻

• Like 4
  • Love 2
33 minutes ago, Joan of Argh said:

for some reason I always assumed that RV’s were built the same way as mobile homes that people live in for years.

A number of items fall into the "RV" category including trailers, fifth wheels, pup up campers and motorhomes.  The ones meant to be towed are generally built using lighter weight materials to lessen the stress on a towing vehicle.  Motorhomes (like the Winne) are more substantial and are generally built with better materials since they are built over a heavy duty mode of locomotion.

• Useful 7
  • Love 1

All of this is quite interesting as my nephew bought an RV to live in with his family, until his house was built.  He felt he could save on rent and at least be able to enjoy it later on to use at our nearby lake for weekend getaways.  (He bought a boat too! Oh well.) He has a free place to park it and just chips in on electric and water bills.  But, as it turns out…..it wasn’t that comfortable and he’s camping out on an air mattress at my parents house.  I’m going to borrow it one weekend and camp at the lake.  It’s one thing that I’ve never done before.  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Like 1
  • Useful 4
  • Love 1
22 hours ago, MaddyMaeboxerbabe said:

I agree they really aren’t designed for everyday wear and tear but to me it appears the past two years Janelle really has been traveling and not living any place really? Also with all her visiting places will she never take the trailer?  Thought that was her dream.    Seems odd to have it in for repairs the entire spring/summer only to pay again to store it this winter.   But their money decisions alway befuddle me!

Plus you have the added expense of buying another expensive vehicle to tow with.  I know a few people who have some of the larger 5th wheels and you really have to be alert to what the trailer is doing.  I don't see Janelle driving cross country with one.  I know a woman who bought one and kept it for about two years.  While she enjoyed it she said it was not what she really needed to much trouble to travel.  She set up during covid at a long term park.  Then sold it for a small driving one.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3

What Janelle should get is a camper van. Self contained, easier to drive, park and set up than a motor home or towable RV. I imagine she wanted the larger one because they were living in it, not traveling, and Savannah could have more privacy. 

• Like 3
  • Love 2

I am still really confused as to why Janelle made this impulsive decision to buy the 5th wheel, when it seemed like she had a really good opportunity to buy a home. I get that was her dream but was it practical? As soon as it was sold the value decreased by what 30%? She has to have someone haul it to/from plagueville. She would need a 1 ton truck to tow which is probably another 60K, she has to find storage which is nearly impossible (at the time of filming) she probably will never tow the 5th wheel anywhere to enjoy it, she has to pay for winterizing, storing, gas for generator and water delivery. IF she purchased the house, yes although more expensive and put some money into that to fix up (certainly not her) but she probably could have rented the studio apartment and sell in a few years and make a nice profit. I don't even know why I wasted that 10 minutes to type this, maybe to make sense of this highly financial stupidity this family has

• Like 5
  • Applause 3
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3
On 10/6/2022 at 11:45 AM, Pickleinthemiddle said:

Plus you have the added expense of buying another expensive vehicle to tow with.  I know a few people who have some of the larger 5th wheels and you really have to be alert to what the trailer is doing.  I don't see Janelle driving cross country with one.  I know a woman who bought one and kept it for about two years.  While she enjoyed it she said it was not what she really needed to much trouble to travel.  She set up during covid at a long term park.  Then sold it for a small driving one.

After watching the Long Long Trailer, I have no interest in towing a 5th wheel!

https://www.newyorker.com/video/watch/long-long-trailer

• Like 3
  • LOL 7
8 hours ago, Natalie68 said:

After watching the Long Long Trailer, I have no interest in towing a 5th wheel!

I recently watched that movie & thought the same. Interesting to see a drive I've made before it was swamped with people. And no, I have no interest in towing anything even half as long. I once nearly got nudged off the road by someone moving into my lane forgetting he was pulling a trailer.

• Mind Blown 2
  • Sad 1
  • Love 2
On 10/5/2022 at 4:59 PM, GeeGolly said:

I often wonder if Janelle was trying to get on the property since they are paying who knows how much for it anyway, so she thought she have something she could travel with if needed and wouldn’t have to pay a trailer park lot. Honestly if she didn’t have Savannah, I could just see her putting up a pup tent on coyote pass or if she wanted to be fancy a yurt.

I didn’t think Kody and Goblyn’s new business was a financial adviser business I thought their “business” was being held or managed by a financial advising company.  I remember the management company was described as one for families with “high wealth” because I was like high wealth…are they joking…but that was before I knew Kody made 2 billion dollars per second instead of “babysitting” his kids.

I really am curious as to how much Janelle is raking in with Plexyuck because besides the RV, her other expenditures are probably canned cabbage from Dollar Tree and the 32 dollars she spent at Horse Hiney Flaming Fire Art Studio.  Part of me still wants Janelle to have cook the books and siphoned off money just so she can buy more cowboy boot lamps and Eminem CDs she can play on her 1992 Sony Walkman.

Edited by Irate Panda
  • LOL 11
  • Love 2

I’m watching season 7 and Kody and Janelle are celebrating their 21st anniversary and he is talking about how he is “in love” with Janelle. As I recall, he said relatively recently that he loved Janelle but he was not “in love” with her now. Did she ever respond to this proclamation? Obviously, the only wife he is “in love” with is Sobyn. 

• Love 4
51 minutes ago, Aspenglow said:

I’m watching season 7 and Kody and Janelle are celebrating their 21st anniversary and he is talking about how he is “in love” with Janelle. As I recall, he said relatively recently that he loved Janelle but he was not “in love” with her now. Did she ever respond to this proclamation? Obviously, the only wife he is “in love” with is Sobyn. 

I don’t think she ever responded to this, or maybe she did but it wasn’t broadcast?
That admission was so incredibly uncomfortable and it showed absolutely no respect towards Janelle. The same about the recent Kody-Christine conversations.

I’m all for juicy shows and love a good snark but if this show is building a new theme around Kody screaming and/or humiliating his wives, I can see myself jumping off this train wreck before it crashes (and believe me, I’d love to be there for that grand finale)

Sorry, I’m just starting to feel very uncomfortable with Kody’s verbal wife-bashing and the humiliating confessions he does. 

• Like 1
  • Applause 2
  • Love 8
3 minutes ago, LilyD said:

I don’t think she ever responded to this, or maybe she did but it wasn’t broadcast?
That admission was so incredibly uncomfortable and it showed absolutely no respect towards Janelle. The same about the recent Kody-Christine conversations.

I’m all for juicy shows and love a good snark but if this show is building a new theme around Kody screaming and/or humiliating his wives, I can see myself jumping off this train wreck before it crashes (and believe me, I’d love to be there for that grand finale)

Sorry, I’m just starting to feel very uncomfortable with Kody’s verbal wife-bashing and the humiliating confessions he does. 

Kody has been dissing Meri big time too, ever since the catfishing. I dropped the show shortly after that because of Kody.  I came back when I started seeing articles about Christine leaving.

Watching now makes be equally uncomfortable, but I put some responsibility on the wives. Kody is exposing to us who he is, who we all thought he was. The wives have known this for years. Women stay with crappy men for all kinds of reasons, but I don't see the Brown wives as trapped and staying for the scary dangerous reasons some women stay for.

I do think the crash of the show will be sooner, rather than later.

• Love 11
1 hour ago, GeeGolly said:

It happened to Jon and Kate Plus 8. When word of their split got out, there was a huge increase in ratings. People tuned in to see what was going on.

Shortly thereafter, the ratings tanked and the new show, Kate Plus 8  was canceled. It was sad to see all of those little kids with just their mom and people stopped watching.

I think that the same thing is going to happen with Sister Wives. They are in a big ratings boost because Christine left. Once that dies down, people will tune out. It will just be sad to watch Kody and Robyn treat Janelle and Meri bad.

Edited by Libby
  • Like 4
  • Sad 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, LilyD said:

I feel very much the same- I started watching again because Christine left finally. 

• Love 5
6 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

Kody has been dissing Meri big time too, ever since the catfishing. I dropped the show shortly after that because of Kody.  I came back when I started seeing articles about Christine leaving

Oh absolutely, but Meri can be as nasty and brutal as Kody, so I feel less sorry for her(not that I approve of it). 

Edited by LilyD
spelling error corrected
  • Like 3
  • Applause 1
  • Love 2

There are MoreToLove filler episodes that popped up in my DVR this morning. I was watching Janelle's Trailer Announcement to Bigdaddy, then the Sistagals. In her conversation with BigD, she seems kind of hesitant, but as he gets wound up, claiming PTSD, she has to reel him back to focus on her. That was interesting. 

In the talking head, imo, he was disparaging her decision. 

THEN!!! While she tries to explain the details to the others, he interrupts her, piggybacks her statements, or finishes her sentences For her. As if he did all the research, when WE know, he just posed on a shovel. God, I hate him. 

• Like 3
  • Applause 3

Could Janelle have leased the fifth wheel and truck rather than buying them? For the life of me I can't see how anyone with 1/2 a brain would think that buying the camper and then buying a 1 ton truck and blowing a pile of money on this would be a wise financial move. I also believe that Janelle could have found a small house or an apartment maybe by movng outside of Flagstaff and the rent ould have been cheaper than the payments on the camper and the truck.

• Like 1
  • Applause 4
  • Love 1

During COVID it was hard to find RVs to lease or buy.  She would have been better off getting a small apartment for herself & Savanah and gone tent camping on the property a few times in the summer, trying out different spots.

• Like 1
  • Love 7

I will say RV salespeople talk a good line.  My neighbor and his wife wanted a camper and talked to me.  We used to rent an RV a couple of times a year.  I advised them to rent to make sure they liked it, maintenance, insurance, and tags were someone else's problem, and consider it on a per trip price.  The salesman got them all turned around and convinced them it was cheaper to buy a new one than rent a used one.  They bit and brought it home.  The one thing they paid attention to me on was to do a trial weekend at a campground near our houses.  They used it for that and one trip. She hated it.  It then sat in their driveway nearly 3 years before they could unload it for less than they owed on it.  The salesforce saw Janelle coming.  She was likely sold a complete fairy tale and didn't sit back and analyze it.  I expect she'll be in the same or worse financial situation with it as my neighbors.

Edited by Absolom
  • Like 5
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 5

RVing is something that some people like and some people don't. Those that like it, love it.

An RV is like any other vehicle. You have to get the feel for it. My husband and I have had a 37 foot mobile home for 8 years. In the campgrounds you can always tell the new owners from the people that have been into it for a while. The new people need help to get into their lots. The veterans can back a 45 foot fifth wheeler into the smallest lot like it's nothing.

The first few trips are very stressful, until people get acclimated. After a few trips, it feels no different than driving a car. I personally love vacationing in an RV.

I do agree that people should try renting a few times before they buy. Just to make sure they like the whole environment, culture, and type of vacation. As far as driving it, setting it up, and maintaining it goes, anyone will become a pro with practice.

If Janelle likes it and keeps with it, she will be fine.

Edited by Libby
  • Like 4
  • Useful 4
  • Love 2

Janelle says she’s been saving her pennies.  I’m impressed.  That’s a smart thing.  It’s just odd that it seems like she she’s flying around the country, vacationing, eating out, ……….how do you save your money and live like that?  

• Like 4
  • Love 3

Janelle saving her pennies is one thing. What Janelle needs to learn to do is to stop giving huge sums of cash, such as her inheritance and her 401K savings to that idiot of a baby daddy of hers.  I believe Janelle may the only wife that can save her money penny by penny - her problem is giving it away to the so-called family patriarch.  If it weren't for him she would most likely be quite wealthy by now.

That's why it's even MORE infuriating to hear those biatches Meri and Robyn kevetch about Janelle parking on THEIR parcels for a few months.  Please!!!  Robyn, Janelle helped support your ungrateful azz in the beginning.  Maybe Janelle needs to get all up in your grill about THAT! 

As for Meri, Janelle was the reason you still got to eat while you quit jobs in order to go on road trips with Kootie.  And Kootie, you don't know what time it is and what day you're on!  You couldn't be any more clueless if you tried.

The NERVE of these effing idiots, talking about  sister wives getting their heads outta their butts (looking at you, Meri!)

• Like 1
  • Applause 11
4 hours ago, Rabbit Hutch said:

Janelle saving her pennies is one thing. What Janelle needs to learn to do is to stop giving huge sums of cash, such as her inheritance and her 401K savings to that idiot of a baby daddy of hers.  I believe Janelle may the only wife that can save her money penny by penny - her problem is giving it away to the so-called family patriarch.  If it weren't for him she would most likely be quite wealthy by now.

That's why it's even MORE infuriating to hear those biatches Meri and Robyn kevetch about Janelle parking on THEIR parcels for a few months.  Please!!!  Robyn, Janelle helped support your ungrateful azz in the beginning.  Maybe Janelle needs to get all up in your grill about THAT! 

As for Meri, Janelle was the reason you still got to eat while you quit jobs in order to go on road trips with Kootie.  And Kootie, you don't know what time it is and what day you're on!  You couldn't be any more clueless if you tried.

The NERVE of these effing idiots, talking about  sister wives getting their heads outta their butts (looking at you, Meri!)

I just posted something similar in the episode 5 thread - it really made me mad when Robyn began complaining and all I can think was Janelle consistently took the least and worked and genuinely loved plural marriage but was forced into a situation where the idea of a plural family is non-existent.

Oh and your comment about the road trips also reminded me of the trips Kody and Meri took the Mexico while Kody took Janelle camping in a tent with old bedspreads. 

Edited by zamp33
Edited because I needed to rewrite a sentence that was missing words - I am way too excited and trying NOT to spoil anything.
  • Like 3
  • Love 5

Now that Christine has left and Meri is basically separated from Kody, I think Janelle holds a little more power in the family than before. If Janelle leaves, the last vestiges of the “principle” leave. Kody could then no longer have the appearance of polygamy while living monogamy. 
Kody can barely tolerate Meri— he no longer even calls her to talk, much less visit her alone. Even if Janelle left, Meri’s status in the family would not “move up,” imo. Kody would then be left with only one wife, Robyn and the show would be dead. So I think Janelle can do whatever she wants and Kody will put up with it.

Edited by Adiba
Wording
  • Like 3
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, Adiba said:

Now that Christine has left and Meri is basically separated from Kody, I think Janelle holds a little more power in the family than before. If Janelle leaves, the last vestiges of the “principle” leave. Kody could then no longer have the appearance of polygamy while living monogamy. 
Kody can barely tolerate Meri— he no longer even calls her to talk, much less visit her alone. Even if Janelle left, Meri’s status in the family would not “move up,” imo. Kody would then be left with only one wife, Robyn and the show would be dead. So I think Janelle can do whatever she wants and Kody will put up with it.

I think you're right and I think Janelle knows it, hence "dude, you're not even on the lease" and buying an RV sight unseen without having a "family meeting" about it. Janelle's son got hosed when they moved to Flagstaff, and she's probably still salty about it. I would be. 

• Applause 1
  • Love 5

The easiest way to pay off the mortgages on the Plague Pass properties is to sell all four plots, distribute the money equitably (get your own lawyers, Janelle & Meri), then each non-plural family can buy their own assets to fund them until death. If Janelle really wants to live on that parched wasteland, she can buy a more reasonably-sized plot.

• Like 1
  • Applause 5
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 10/9/2022 at 11:16 PM, 65mickey said:

For the life of me I can't see how anyone with 1/2 a brain would think that buying the camper and then buying a 1 ton truck and blowing a pile of money on this would be a wise financial move.

Have the Browns ever made a wise financial move?

• Like 2
  • LOL 5
On 10/8/2022 at 8:30 AM, GeeGolly said:

Kody has been dissing Meri big time too, ever since the catfishing. I dropped the show shortly after that because of Kody.  I came back when I started seeing articles about Christine leaving.

Watching now makes be equally uncomfortable, but I put some responsibility on the wives. Kody is exposing to us who he is, who we all thought he was. The wives have known this for years. Women stay with crappy men for all kinds of reasons, but I don't see the Brown wives as trapped and staying for the scary dangerous reasons some women stay for.

From your mouth to God's ear.....

Question: If the polyg "family" and four wives means KoDouche has some celestial meaning for the "afterlife", does the fact that Douchie ends up with just ONE wife, does the celestial thing go away?? Like... do they end up in the same heaven the rest of us peons go to?

Edited by goofygirl
  • Sad 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 1
15 hours ago, goofygirl said:

From your mouth to God's ear.....

Question: If the polyg "family" and four wives means KoDouche has some celestial meaning for the "afterlife", does the fact that Douchie ends up with just ONE wife, does the celestial thing go away?? Like... do they end up in the same heaven the rest of us peons go to?

We go to heaven, but we don't get our very own planet.  Or some such crap.

Just my opinion...

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Janelle may be getting desperate. She posted her phone number in her latest IG post about Plexass, telling people to text her. Wonder if she'll get flooded with troll texts? Could get interesting.

For ex "Hi Janelle, how is life in the RV? When are you going to leave Kody?"  

I'm a little tempted to text her but I won't.

ETA: Christine has same phone number on her latest IG post!

Edited by Teafortwo
  • LOL 5
35 minutes ago, Teafortwo said:

ETA: Christine has same phone number on her latest IG post!

Probably a Google number.  We have it for our non-profit.  It doesn't actually go to a phone unless you program it to be forwarded to your personal phone.  Otherwise it just takes messages.

• Like 4
  • Useful 5
1 hour ago, Cetacean said:

Probably a Google number.  We have it for our non-profit.  It doesn't actually go to a phone unless you program it to be forwarded to your personal phone.  Otherwise it just takes messages.

Aha! That makes sense. I'd never heard of that before. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1
On 10/13/2022 at 9:55 AM, Cetacean said:

Do you think Janelle would think of doing this?  That would take work.

• LOL 4
1 minute ago, CalicoKitty said:

Do you think Janelle would think of doing this?  That would take work.

I imagine the Plexass recruiters set all of that up.  Loads of big businesses us Google G Suite which includes a free phone number, website, and file sharing.

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Useful 2