Type keyword(s) to search

Janelle Brown: Smarter Than Your Average Brown (Maybe)

• Start Topic

I think everyone should be able to change their minds about their faith at anytime, but if you knowingly pick a religion that is not mainstream to begin with, you can't expect to keep those beliefs without really practicing them.

The wives weren't that sheltered. They lived among monogamy, had monogamous family members, had TVs, etc. IMO, the move to Vegas and TLC may be a small part of why the family is a mess, but I don't think its the big reason.

I think they stopped practicing their faith as a family. They stopped gathering as a family for church services and Kody stopped looking to his elders for advice. So in turn, Kody not only stopped being his family's "high priest", he stopped playing fair as a polyg husband.

The wives hung onto polygamy a lot longer than Kody did. When the going got tough Kody whined and then tried to quietly quit.

• Like 3
  • Applause 3
  • Useful 1
  • Love 6
3 minutes ago, Cetacean said:

This ^ all great points. 

It's not like they were Amish and suddenly introduced to the world.  And they stopped any reference to religion very early on.  The whole thing is a bad joke by TLC.

They did decrease how often they referenced religion on the show, but they also talked about how they rarely gathered as a family anymore. If they're not gathering, then one can assume they're not having regular church services.

Many Amish sects are exposed to the mainstream world and prior to Rumspringa although they're not immersed in it like the Brown family.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
40 minutes ago, Absolom said:

She apparently bought them at a local bakery - Honey Comb Pastries.  That's not a good ad for the place.

When has Janelle ever took a good looking photo of food???? These things look gross whatever they are...

• Like 2
  • LOL 4
  • Love 1
On 10/31/2022 at 4:48 AM, Elizzikra said:

I don't love the concept of polygamy, BUT... I do firmly believe that legally competent adults should be legally permitted to marry any other legally competent adult. This is part of the reason that I believe gay marriage should be legal. So I can't then say that marriage should be limited to two partners only. If all involved are consenting adults, who am I to say that a marriage should only be between two people? I personally wouldn't choose a plural marriage but I've come to believe that others should be able to choose it for themselves if that is what they want. By that logic, though, women should be able to have multiple husbands, or a man should be able to have multiple husbands or whatever configuration adults choose should comprise their spouse collection.

Brilliant reasoning! Can't really add anything more as I'd only repeat what you said.

The only thing that may be complicated are legal matters I guess.  Don't know how things are in the US but over here, things like certain tax deductions, allowances (or the height of your allowance) pensions, your right to inherit from your partner and against what percentage are based on whether you are single or have a legal partner or husband/wife, Just one partner or spouse, not several. It would probably require a huge overhaul of the system to make it legally possible for 3 or 4 people to marry or legally be together.  And those huge changes tend to go slow and often face a lot of backlash and resistance from more conservative people.  But being more accepting is a huge step we could (and should!) all take. 

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
On 10/31/2022 at 8:50 AM, GeeGolly said:

I think everyone should be able to change their minds about their faith at anytime, but if you knowingly pick a religion that is not mainstream to begin with, you can't expect to keep those beliefs without really practicing them.

The wives weren't that sheltered. They lived among monogamy, had monogamous family members, had TVs, etc. IMO, the move to Vegas and TLC may be a small part of why the family is a mess, but I don't think its the big reason.

I think they stopped practicing their faith as a family. They stopped gathering as a family for church services and Kody stopped looking to his elders for advice. So in turn, Kody not only stopped being his family's "high priest", he stopped playing fair as a polyg husband.

The wives hung onto polygamy a lot longer than Kody did. When the going got tough Kody whined and then tried to quietly quit.

I agree that not practicing their faith as a family and continually being re-indoctrinated into the faith had its effect on them, but I think that was a symptom of the change in attitude they all experienced from the increased exposure to the mainstream culture they got after leaving Utah and starting the show, and this was the biggest influence on the women in particular.  They didn't stop the family gatherings until sometime after the show started and I think after they moved.  I personally don't think they would have stopped those meetings nor would Kody have not been in his "high priest" role anymore if not for the shift in their attitudes. 

I think even Kody's attitude shifted somewhat in that he became even more self centered and didn't even care as much about the teachings of his faith to keep reeling the women back under his thumb.  He himself became less focused on the "we" of the family and more focused on pleasing himself with or without them.  Let's face it, he married most of those women for reasons other than love, which after being more exposed to the mainstream culture he started to feel was a sacrifice, and one he dutifully made in exchange for other needs being gratified - and some of those needs he was also indoctrinated to accept as valid.  But those needs were not what he really needed in the long run and he became less able to justify the sacrifice.  As he was exposed to the greater culture out there he lost his reason and motivation to keep these women under his thumb and re-indoctrinated, so there went the family meetings.  If he didn't have that increased exposure to the world outside his faith and the influence it had on him those meetings might never have stopped.

I remember my visit to Utah 50 years ago like it was yesterday.  Me, a kid that grew up on the streets of NYC could not get over how sheltered, naive and innocent the young people seemed there compared to me and my friends.  They just did not have anywhere near the awareness that came from the broad experience and exposure to different lifestyles that I had.  I actually envied them because they were able to keep a simple, sweet outlook on life that was pretty much beat out of me by the "school of hard knocks".   They seemed more like children to me than teenagers.  I felt like I was visiting another planet, not just another state.  I never forgot it. 

And that is how these women struck me when I first started watching the show.  I've witnessed their education in what the mainstream culture is all about over the past decade and more.  They've become far more sophisticated and self aware, and are more willing to fight for their rights as individuals rather than give in to the needs of the family or the teachings of their backwards faith at great sacrifice to their happiness.  All the justifications they made to keep believing in those sacrifices became harder to make.  I think this transition would have happened to some degree anyway even without moving and without the show thanks to the internet, but it would not have the effect that moving to LV and having the increased exposure to the world from the show had on them.

• Like 3
  • Applause 2
  • Useful 1
  • Love 5

Also, I think Kody's age has something to do with this.  When he was young he was high on the idea of being king of his own little harem and kingdom, because back then his sexual needs were much greater.  But as he's aged he doesn't need 4 women anymore to feel satisfied and they have become more of an annoyance to him than anything else.  So why bother keeping them under his thumb and having to attend to them on a daily basis?  He is more than satisfied with his relationship with Robyn (or has been till this point) so he is not focused anymore on schmoozing the other women into accepting their lots in life as revolving around him.  He couldn't care less at this point and wishes they would all just stay in their little holes and leave him alone to do what he wants.  And then he gets mad that they don't somehow love this idea and still have needs and expectations of him and acts like their unhappiness is all their fault.  What a narcissist!  

Edited by Yeah No
  • Applause 11

Kind of a chicken and egg thing.

One could argue we were all sheltered 50 years ago. Basically if the Associated Press didn't think it was national news, it mostly stayed local. Starting about 25 years ago the world got smaller and smaller, to the point of 24 hour news that spreads in a hot minute. So I don't think the Browns were totally sheltered before they left UT. Somewhat sheltered, sure, but they lived in mainstream society, working, shopping, etc.

The reason why they stopped practicing their faith could be due to exposure in LV, living arrangements or any number of things. But here we are 30 years later and its now the family is falling apart. If they had been practicing their faith things might be 'better'.

• Like 3
10 hours ago, Yeah No said:

They've become far more sophisticated and self aware, and are more willing to fight for their rights as individuals rather than give in to the needs of the family or the teachings of their backwards faith at great sacrifice to their happiness. 

At the outset, Meri, Janelle and Christine seemed to me to be entirely bland, but maybe it was just because they were unformed, having been sheltered. Maybe they were just shy in front of the cameras. But I remember thinking that the only interesting thing about them was that they all chose to be married to the same man. 

I think we've seen them all evolve quite a bit.

• Like 8
  • Love 1

I think they also deliberately hid quite a bit early on due to trying to project the image they wanted, not used to being filmed, etc.  It frequently happens as reality participants get more comfortable and/or forget their original purpose, more things slip out.

• Like 7

A week behind in episode, but read the snark ahead of time. Thinking about Janelle and her 5th wheel. Yes, not the best idea ever and I don't think she researched like she should have, but she tried something that she really wanted to before she got too old or scared to do it. Old saying "you only regret the things you don't do." I kind of admire her for her summer on CP. It didn't work out, but she had an adventure. 

• Like 6
  • Love 9
2 hours ago, BAForever said:

A week behind in episode, but read the snark ahead of time. Thinking about Janelle and her 5th wheel. Yes, not the best idea ever and I don't think she researched like she should have, but she tried something that she really wanted to before she got too old or scared to do it. Old saying "you only regret the things you don't do." I kind of admire her for her summer on CP. It didn't work out, but she had an adventure. 

I don’t know why she didn’t get an RV. Older, used ones are actually affordable and you can drive them to empty the septic.

Janelle didn’t really think this through. 

• Like 4

When Janelle bought her 5th wheel, all types of RV, travel trailers were in short supply according to her.  I know that was true at one time due to covid factors.  I read online that orders for RV were in wait list for a year. She said what she bought was the only one available in the country.  Maybe, she meant that type.  And, she said rentals for homes were in short supply too.  I know rental cost in my state has skyrocketed.  So, I can see why she wanted something different.

I actually suspect that the 5th wheel might have been done to provide her a storyline on the show.  It provides more interest than her her and Savannah in a 2 bedroom apt., imo. And, would an apartment complex allow filming?   Plus, a year’s lease for 2 bedroom house  would probably have run at least $24000.  for the year.  

• Like 1
  • Useful 2
3 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

When Janelle bought her 5th wheel, all types of RV, travel trailers were in short supply according to her.  I know that was true at one time due to covid factors.  I read online that orders for RV were in wait list for a year. She said what she bought was the only one available in the country.  Maybe, she meant that type.  And, she said rentals for homes were in short supply too.  I know rental cost in my state has skyrocketed.  So, I can see why she wanted something different.

I actually suspect that the 5th wheel might have been done to provide her a storyline on the show.  It provides more interest than her her and Savannah in a 2 bedroom apt., imo. And, would an apartment complex allow filming?   Plus, a year’s lease for 2 bedroom house  would probably have run at least $24000.  for the year.  

Or she might have wanted a large mansion like Meri and Robyn, her sister wives, live in!

I hope Janelle’s money is in the bank with her name only on the account!

From what I’ve seen over the years, Janelle wasn’t big on extravagance.  Wasn’t she the one who said she only needed X amount of space, once kids were gone?  Or was that Christine?  Definitely, not Robyn or Meri. Lol 

• Like 3
  • Love 2

I have several questions about Janelle's RV/water situation:

Janelle was telling Kody that she needed 8 tanks of water every day and a half for her and Savanah to live on, and that's only if the two of them are conservative with their water.  Kody brought her a hose which, I think, was supposed to help her get her tanks filled - maybe?  Now, a few episodes ago we saw the giant hole that Kody threw Sol into that was supposed to be used as a cistern.  Did that cistern ever materialize or is it still just a hole in the ground?  If the cistern exists, why wouldn't Janelle have parked her behemoth RV closer to the cistern so it wouldn't be so hard to get water?  If she's not getting it from the cistern, where is she going to fill 8 tanks every other day and how does Kody's tiny little hose aid her in that?

Essentially, this is a math problem: if Kody's brain is Jell-O, and Robyn's eyebrows are toothbrushes, and Janelle needs 8 tanks of water to flush the results of her Plexus diet, how long does the prairie dog laugh at the Browns until it falls over?

Please show your work.  Thank you.

Edited by laurakaye
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 21
1 hour ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I recall seeing a water tank arrive on some site…I think here on this thread. I thought they might use that as content for the show.  

Wasn't there some speculation that the tank wasn't even for them?  They simply filmed it being delivered but we don't know to whom.   Could very well have been a neighbor.

• Like 3
  • Mind Blown 2
  • Love 2
On 11/1/2022 at 9:51 AM, Yeah No said:

I agree that not practicing their faith as a family and continually being re-indoctrinated into the faith had its effect on them, but I think that was a symptom of the change in attitude they all experienced from the increased exposure to the mainstream culture they got after leaving Utah and starting the show, and this was the biggest influence on the women in particular.  They didn't stop the family gatherings until sometime after the show started and I think after they moved.  I personally don't think they would have stopped those meetings nor would Kody have not been in his "high priest" role anymore if not for the shift in their attitudes. 

I think even Kody's attitude shifted somewhat in that he became even more self centered and didn't even care as much about the teachings of his faith to keep reeling the women back under his thumb.  He himself became less focused on the "we" of the family and more focused on pleasing himself with or without them.  Let's face it, he married most of those women for reasons other than love, which after being more exposed to the mainstream culture he started to feel was a sacrifice, and one he dutifully made in exchange for other needs being gratified - and some of those needs he was also indoctrinated to accept as valid.  But those needs were not what he really needed in the long run and he became less able to justify the sacrifice.  As he was exposed to the greater culture out there he lost his reason and motivation to keep these women under his thumb and re-indoctrinated, so there went the family meetings.  If he didn't have that increased exposure to the world outside his faith and the influence it had on him those meetings might never have stopped.

I remember my visit to Utah 50 years ago like it was yesterday.  Me, a kid that grew up on the streets of NYC could not get over how sheltered, naive and innocent the young people seemed there compared to me and my friends.  They just did not have anywhere near the awareness that came from the broad experience and exposure to different lifestyles that I had.  I actually envied them because they were able to keep a simple, sweet outlook on life that was pretty much beat out of me by the "school of hard knocks".   They seemed more like children to me than teenagers.  I felt like I was visiting another planet, not just another state.  I never forgot it. 

And that is how these women struck me when I first started watching the show.  I've witnessed their education in what the mainstream culture is all about over the past decade and more.  They've become far more sophisticated and self aware, and are more willing to fight for their rights as individuals rather than give in to the needs of the family or the teachings of their backwards faith at great sacrifice to their happiness.  All the justifications they made to keep believing in those sacrifices became harder to make.  I think this transition would have happened to some degree anyway even without moving and without the show thanks to the internet, but it would not have the effect that moving to LV and having the increased exposure to the world from the show had on them.

My daughter first went there in 2013-2014 with a church group.  Not LDS.  But that same attitude is still there.  Some of the clothes she had for church, the women called her out on.  So she had to go to the local Walmart to get a few different things to wear.  She said it all fell in the modest range.  No low cut shirts not much sleeveless, longer shorts and a lot of 3/4 length sleeves, mid calf skirts and dresses.

• Useful 4

Janelle ended up getting water delivered that she hooked up to with a hose.

I think Janelle thought an RV would take care of her with little to no effort, much like a house does. She pictured herself with all the (smaller, more compact) creature comforts at hand while she chilled and 'roughed it' on the prairie. I know intellectually she knew CP had no electricity or water and an RV needs those things, but somehow she didn't connect the dots.

Experience had and lessons learned.

• Like 5
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, laurakaye said:

Now, a few episodes ago we saw the giant hole that Kody threw Sol into that was supposed to be used as a cistern. 

Essentially, this is a math problem: if Kody's brain is Jell-O, and Robyn's eyebrows are toothbrushes, and Janelle needs 8 tanks of water to flush the results of her Plexus diet, how long does the prairie dog laugh at the Browns until it falls over?

Please show your work.  Thank you.

This had me laughing my ass off while my coworkers wonder what I'm laughing at.

• Like 2
  • LOL 4
On 10/26/2022 at 3:31 PM, juicyfruit said:

There is a picture of Maddie and Caleb at the wedding over in the Maddie thread.

I was guessing that Maddie and the kids came for a more of an extended stay and maybe Caleb (b/c of work) just flew in for the wedding. 

• Like 5
58 minutes ago, Cetacean said:

What fresh hell is this?

Wondering if this is a hedge against the show ending. Or she's really left Kody and is preparing to milk it once the season ends.

Edited by Teafortwo
  • Like 5
  • Mind Blown 2
  • Love 4
16 hours ago, Teafortwo said:

Wondering if this is a hedge against the show ending. Or she's really left Kody and is preparing to milk it once the season ends.

Yeah — the only thing I’d be interested in watching further is Janelle leaving (because whatever, Meri — all the cryptic bullshit and bragging has stopped me rooting for Meri years ago). 

• Like 4
  • Applause 2
  • Love 4

What I get from this is that Janelle has hired a management team to manage her as  "Reality Talent".   I'm with GeeGolly, what talent? Only thing that I can come up with is how to blow through 50K. in three months while living in a cramped RV with no water or power source stuck out in the middle of pile of dirt and an empty pond and live to tell the tale. Now if she can convince people that this is a smart thing to do she's got real talent. 

• Applause 5
  • LOL 8

People laugh, but I say Christine and Janelle are ripe for The Single Life! (TLC show) Watch out..I called it first.  🤣

Or maybe a new show that features divorced polygamists women.  Call it, Love After Sister Wives or Looking For Monogamy!  Lol

• Applause 1
  • LOL 9
  • Love 4
On 11/3/2022 at 2:16 PM, ginger90 said:

She has hired a management team .

I think this means that she’s no longer part of the Kody Brown Family Entertainment entity.   She may still be on the show, but possibly no longer wants Kody involved with her compensation. Which is interesting 

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Useful 7
  • Love 5
10 minutes ago, mythoughtis said:

I think this means that she’s no longer part of the Kody Brown Family Entertainment entity.   She may still be on the show, but possibly no longer wants Kody involved with her compensation. Which is interesting 

Interesting indeed! If there IS another season, I wonder how the contract reads. I so hope we can feature Janelle moving on.

• Like 5
  • Love 1

I have a feeling Janelle is going to take her leave next season. She is letting Christine have her time now and will do her thing next season.

I can just imagine Kootie's head exploding...

Now if Meri would just wake up and smell the coffee...

Edited by Gramto6
added on to post
  • Love 9
22 minutes ago, Gramto6 said:

I have a feeling Janelle is going to take her leave next season. She is letting Christine have her time now and will do her thing next season.

maybe so. something to ponder. But what would be different if Janelle declared she was leaving the fambly.  She is already mostly gone.  

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
54 minutes ago, lookeyloo said:

maybe so. something to ponder. But what would be different if Janelle declared she was leaving the fambly.  She is already mostly gone.  

Like Meri is "mostly" gone but still hanging on?? For some reason Janelle has not made the complete break yet...I think it is coming...  Meri will probably never give up I think somewhere in her filtered brain she thinks Sobyin will leave and she can become hbic once again... Only she will be the only biatch left!

Edited by Gramto6
added on to post
  • Like 3
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, mythoughtis said:

Kody Brown Family Entertainment is still active and shows the 5 of them as managers.

Janelle has hired a management team. Although she may have formed an LLC, no clue, this isn’t it.  They’re  going to decide on her brand, help her become an influencer to help her sell crap, help her grow her social media following, blah, blah, blah. They can also help her pitch a tv show, according to their website. 

• Like 3
  • Mind Blown 2
  • Useful 5

It's nice that Janelle *maybe* is thinking she can carry a show.  I doubt it, because she doesn't have Christine's type of extroverted personality.  I wonder what this costs her?

Their financial entanglements would, I'm sure, cause me to tear my hair out, were I affected by it.  

• Like 4
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

But, isn’t next season filming now? 

• Like 1