Type keyword(s) to search

Janelle Brown: Smarter Than Your Average Brown (Maybe)

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, LilyD said:

In defence of Janelle: she's the only one who worked hard in a regular job to provide the family with an income pre-TLC. Christine had a fultime job looking after all those kids, but Kody seemed to be on and off working, Meri worked parttime and Robyn did nothing.  In Vegas, she was the only one trying to find normal jobs that would secure an income, whereas the others kept dreaming of sports centres, b&b's or joolry businesses while filming the show. She also loves to spend time outdoors (lazy people don't, as it tends to make them tired and a hike is too much work) and is happy to try lots of new things like cooking. 

She may not be very successful in everything she does, and she isn't very sporty but that's not the point here. She does keep herself busy with her job, family, being outdoors and trying out new hobbies. If anyone deserves the label lazy, it seems to be Robyn. She doesn't work, never actively engages in any Brown activity and is the only one with staff at hand to run her household....

Robyn is definitely the laziest, most dependent one here. I hope this has lit a fire under Janelle’s ass and that she realises she’s being neglected. She doesn’t ask for much — I hope she’s the next to say “I’m out” to that jackass. 

• Like 3
  • Love 3
1 minute ago, MaddyMaeboxerbabe said:

I think working 2 or 3 years at her bookkeeping job and then all the rest of her jobs being MLM to me does not make her a hard worker.   She did very little with her realtor “career” and like the rest of this group her life improved with the show money.  

She had a substantial 401k though.  And some states do not contribute funds.  Also, taking it out early is a big tax liability.  Ask me how I know this.

• Like 3
  • Love 1
50 minutes ago, sheshark said:

She had a substantial 401k though

But do we know this for sure?  She'd have had to put the max amount in and even then there wouldn't be all that much after a couple of years even if she was making a six figure salary - which I seriously doubt.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

The Browns are drifters, 7 years seems to be the max time they stayed anywhere. Of the 7 years in Lehi we know Janelle worked full-time for the state for two years. We also know she worked for a couple of years in Montana and she hasn't worked at all since they moved to Las Vegas. I'm going to guess her work history is very spotty.

Janelle reminds me of my aunt. She loves the outdoors, but for her that means gardens, birds, sunsets and fresh air. I don't think she's lifted a rake or went on a hike in her lifetime.

The OG3 and Robyn aren't all that much different from each other.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Elizzikra said:

It was getting cold and the fifth wheel wasn't winterized. Plus Savannah was struggling and wanted to move into town for her senior year. 

Right. I’m just trying to recall in real time when that happened.  They are a year behind on the show, but we watched what was actually happening with Janelle and the 5th wheel on her thread here, due to her social media postings.  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Like 2
16 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Right. I’m just trying to recall in real time when that happened.  They are a year behind on the show, but we watched what was actually happening with Janelle and the 5th wheel on her thread here, due to her social media postings.  

It was somewhere around the beginning of November last year she moved into the apartment in Flagstaff with Savannah.  She posted an Instagram of her moving the trailer to storage on Nov. 7th.

• Like 1
  • Useful 4
2 hours ago, Elizzikra said:

When did Janelle move out of the 5th wheel?  

It was getting cold and the fifth wheel wasn't winterized.

You winterize an RV for storage, not for living in it.  The problem for an RV in cold weather is that the water lines can freeze and burst.  To avoid that, you either empty the lines by blowing compressed air through them, or fill them with antifreeze.  With either method, you can't run any water in the RV.

If you're living in the RV, you can take measures to keep the lines from freezing because you're using heat to keep the people warm.  For trailers like Janelle's, with winters like Flagstaff's, common practice is to skirt the open area underneath the trailer.  You can buy vinyl skirting that is custom-made for the contours of your trailer or you can just slap up some drywall, and some people use hay bales (which attract mice).  One place I stayed a guy used a decrepit sofa to block part of the open area under his trailer.  Classy.

However, there's just no way she would survive a winter out there without an electric hookup.  She confidently said her furnace runs on propane, but probably didn't realize it has a blower that requires electricity.  A surprising amount of electricity.  A very common first experience with boondocking in cold weather is that the batteries don't last the night if the furnace is running.  Your choice is to just freeze, or in Janelle's case, go outside and turn on the generator, which in her case is an open-frame generator like the kind used on construction sites, and it's LOUD. 

And since she's in a trailer, her waste tank outlets are exposed, and even with skirting, they can freeze.  In fact, the entire tank can freeze.  One option to prevent that is to apply heat in that area, but you need electricity to do that, whether using a little ceramic heater or even an incandescent light bulb.  That's easy if you have an electrical hookup, but if you're running off your batteries, it adds up to a pretty big draw, especially combined with the furnace blower and her refrigerator (for some reason her trailer comes with a refrigerator that doesn't operate on propane; RVs have traditionally come with two-way (propane/electric) refrigerators that you can use on electric when you have a hookup, or propane when you don't).

I've spent a lot of time in very cold weather in my motorhome, sometimes in sub-zero temperatures, and it's challenging.  (Yeah, I know, it's got wheels.  Use them!)  The propane furnace does work, but it blasts super hot air and the second it shuts off the whole place feels drafty.  I counteract that by using space heaters to provide more even heat, but you can't do that without an electrical hookup.  And I use space heaters to heat the basement compartments where my water lines run, and you can't do that without electricity, either. 

It would help immensely that her trailer sits in a wide open area, with no shade.  The sun really can warm things up, but man, the second it goes down, brrrrrr. 

It's a good thing she didn't even try to stay out there during the winter, especially considering that Savannah nixed the idea for even the next summer, when things are a thousand times easier than winter.  It would have been a bloodbath.

• Useful 12
  • Love 1
38 minutes ago, Kellyee said:

Do we know where Janelle is living now? Do she and Savannah have their own place, or are they living with one of Janelle's sons?

From what I’ve seen on Instagram Janelle rented a place in Flagstaff for herself and Savanah 

• Like 7

I rewatched the Kidney episode today. Janelle is calling them out about the money and the land. For Janelle to say this on camera, she's roaring.

Gosh, does anyone else think Gabe or Garrison will be the next to Patreon? I'm grinning, thinking about it. I've never thought Garrison was impressed with BigDaddy. 

• Like 2
  • Love 3
14 hours ago, Cetacean said:

But do we know this for sure?  She'd have had to put the max amount in and even then there wouldn't be all that much after a couple of years even if she was making a six figure salary - which I seriously doubt.

She wasn’t. Since Janelle was working for the state her salary is public record. Off the top of my head I seem to recall it being in the neighborhood of $50-60k.

• Useful 4
2 hours ago, Elizzikra said:

Always the weekend after Thanksgiving. Never before.

Yes, the day after Thanksgiving  was when late DH and I started decorating. (His rule we had to be done by Dec 6). We lived in a condo and had a cabin in the mountains. Home was silver decorations/garland/tree +++, cabin was gold decorations/garland/tree +++. He was a Christmas fanatic it took a long time to finish everything. It was manic to get it all done. Since he passed in 1997, I just can't do Christmas decorations any more, I am burned out. I have a few small ceramic angels from my childhood and a few Goebel Christmas figurines that I put out on a small table in the living room with a Christmas candle and that is it.

I understand Meri has a business that needs to decorate for the holiday, but personally I am so over it!!

I am in MT, my kids and grands are in CA, they are  all so busy with school and jobs, no one can come here. With what can happen with the weather here (witness I have just had frozen problems recently) plus have 14 kitties I am feeding, I am not going anywhere this time of year. (& I am OK with that.)

• Love 5
22 hours ago, ginger90 said:

Janelle hasn’t left, and The Sun sucks.

Gwendlyn and her friend Sarah did a video chat. Someone asked if Janelle had left Kody. Gwen didn't really answer, but she is likely under some sort of NDA with TLC or the production company. However, Sarah said she could answer, and that Janelle had left.

I don't use TikTok and don't know where the original video is, but the first half of this video just shows clips from Gwen and Sarah, interspersed with commentary from the YouTube account holder. The second half of the video shows the chat with Gwen and Sarah, without the narration.

The narrated segment about Janelle's status starts here (video cued up to the 6:56 mark): 

The unnarrated segment starts here (video cued up to the 12:17 mark:) 

• Like 1
  • Useful 6

So if we are a year later, Savannah would already have graduated. But I think we have seen Janelle in her AZ rental. Where are her kids living? NC, AZ, NV and Maryland? Anyone in UT?

I think even if she has left Kody, she may end up staying in AZ.

• Like 3

It is very confusing because what we are seeing now on the show was filmed over a year ago. I has been over a year since Christine left Kody and Janelle moved out of the RV into a rental. They show in the previews Mykelti holding Avalon like she is an infant when she is 18 months old.   I don't know if the talking heads are more up to date. So by now Janelle should be somewhat settled and I hope that Savannah is either in college or working at a job and not with that Plexus MLM. It's hard watching what took place over a year ago and not having any update on how things are now. 

• Like 3
On 11/13/2022 at 8:25 PM, Absolom said:

This is a depends situation.  If it's all paid to a corporation/LLC then no it would not be covered employment unless their LLC pays them as wages and makes the matching contribution.  I don't think it's likely Kody is that forward thinking. They are not considered TLC employees or even employees of the production company.

If the money that they receive from the LLC is not covered wages what would the money be considered? Would it not be self employment income? My daughter formed an LLC and was self employed for several years and the income that she received was subject to self employment tax which I  think includes a tax for social security and Medicare. 

They are either independent contractors (should be self-employed) or they do tax shenanigans with the LLC or they are employees of the LLC or some Brown creative method I haven't heard about.  

A lot of people find creative ways to avoid paying the self-employment FICA tax and then regret it when they try to retire. 

Edited by Absolom
  • Like 3
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, 65mickey said:

The Sun is a notorious gossip rag. I don't believe anything that they print.

She does look a lot smaller though.

I’m hoping so bad that Janelle, maybe not being the type to make announcements, finally does (either way) to set the record straight, and of course I hope she’s given him the boot. But I wanna know either way — they are filming currently according to reports. 

It would be awesome to watch Kody’s ramen-noodle encrusted head turn beet-red and almost explode as another wife has parted ways. I hope Gwen was right and didn’t misunderstand or misinterpret the situation. 

• Like 1
  • Love 6

I feel like Janelle is the only one who is truly trying to to remain low key, pool resources, try to work with what resources they have to benefit the family as a whole. She’s ok with friendship with kody and willing to take her turn with whatever is of value at the moment, affection, attention, money, etc. 

She’s the practical one and also the idealized dreamer. I think what has finally broken her is realizing that Kody, Meri and Robyn have never actually practiced any sort of balance or fairness. They milk Janelle for her income and her patience, but when she is in need and it’s her turn for some of the shared money, they’re like nope, sorry, Eyebrow needs another Nanny, y’all are so mean to her. 
I hate it that it’s taken this long for her to see she’s been used for decades, but that RV situation is just sad while Robyn sits on a mansion with staff demanding more money. Please go, Janelle. 

• Love 12

I have a question for any attorneys out there.

Janelle has one lot on Coyote Pass which is totally paid. She is a one third owner of the lot along with Meri and Kody.

Can Janelle sue Meri and Kody to force the sale of the lot?

If she could, then she could get her cash out of the property.

Her name is on another lot along with Kody, but that one is heavily mortgaged. There's not much cash tied up in that lot.

59 minutes ago, MaddyMaeboxerbabe said:

Ok does anyone else not notice anything going wonky with the skinny picture of Janelle?  Her left leg and ankle look like a peg leg?  

Janelle is one of those heavier women with slender ankles. In that picture, her right knee is bent forward, which makes that calf look bigger, and I think she's putting more weight on one leg than the other, because the ground is a little uneven. Also, left pant leg rode up a little higher than the right one, so it makes the legs appear different.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
48 minutes ago, Libby said:

Janelle has one lot on Coyote Pass which is totally paid. She is a one third owner of the lot along with Meri and Kody.

Her name is on another lot along with Kody, but that one is heavily mortgaged. There's not much cash tied up in that lot.

I'm not an attorney, but from what I was reading, they can't redraw the lots until they pay of all the land.  She could have them get an appraisal on the land and requesting the value of her portion of the land.  But I think that is why they put multiple names on each lot, in case wives left, they would only get part of the value and not all of it.

Every wife should have taken her profit from the Vegas homes and bought something in Flagstaff.  Even if it wasn't really what they wanted.  I personally think Christine knew which way the wind was blowing and wanted something she could get some money for when she left.  As both Kody and her admitted, they were talking about her leaving in Vegas.  In exchange for her part of the land.

• Like 6
  • Applause 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, MaddyMaeboxerbabe said:

Ok does anyone else not notice anything going wonky with the skinny picture of Janelle?  Her left leg and ankle look like a peg leg?  

I was wondering if she used a filter  as does Meri??

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Libby said:

I’m not licensed in AZ, however, generally or for information purposes, in my state, if the joint owners can’t agree on the property, one or more can petition the court for a Partition of the tract.  If it can’t be divided (because of mortgage or impracticality) there’ll be a forced sale, with the net profits equally divided.  Here’s a link that describes it.  I am NOT associated with anyone on that site and have no connection to it.  

https://www.providentlawyers.com/partitioning-real-estate-by-force-in-arizona/

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Like 1
  • Useful 8
9 hours ago, ButterQueen said:

I like Janelle.  She just seems nice.

I mostly like her, too. My main criticism of her is that she wants to be a health coach, but seems to actually need one for herself. She does appear slimmer, so I’m rooting for her.

At least she’s not a fakey-fakey-filter-face like Meri. 

• Like 8
  • LOL 1
4 minutes ago, Elizzikra said:

I don't like grits but if I did, I'd actually eat that. Frozen shrimp are an amazing meal shortcut...

Not crazy about grits either. If I made that I'd probably use angel hair pasta.

Edited by Gramto6
  • Like 4
  • Love 2