Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E07: Even The Devil Deserves A Second Chance

thewhiteowl

While Fitz is focused on winning back the American people, he makes a shocking discovery. Meanwhile, OPA takes on a new client, but Olivia seems preoccupied keeping her own secrets, and Elizabeth North sets her sights on a new agenda.

I figured out the theme for this season.  It's "Breaking down Olivia Pope."  Last episode, it was Mellie who got to yell at her while Jake ripped into her this episode.  Both had very valid points about Olivia's character.  Cyrus' turn was a lot more venomous, but he was no match for Olivia the Poison Queen.  He was right, though - Liv is the President, though would we really want someone who could fall apart if the right person says the wrong thing that close to the Doomsday button?

I'm getting a little sick of Kerry Washington's near-crying face, though.

Gut feeling that the Ersatz Bill Cosby Feminist Writer role was originally for Stephen Collins.  Just a feeling. 

Loved Elizabeth calling David a "red-faced little weasel", though I think "worm" would have been more fitting.  And then David ripped into Elizabeth, though his arguments felt weak.  So of course they had to get intimate.  Wonder what Ellen thinks?

And Cyrus lost.  Such a good feeling when he loses.  And it's always good when shit blows up in Sally Langston's face.

Loved Susan showing up with wine coolers.

Edited by bmoore4026
  • Love 4

So Olivia is not only running the country, she is also running the world?!  Gee, I wonder why it took Shonda this long.  I wasn't impressed with the doping professor story line.  Law and Order SVU would have done better job. 

• Love 8

Gut feeling that the Ersatz Bill Cosby Feminist Writer role was originally for Stephen Collins.  Just a feeling.

I think he was cut out of a recurring role when his scandal broke.

• Love 1

Did I cheer when Jake yelled at Oliva? Yes. Yes I did. I enjoy when Olivia gets a talking to. Seriously, Liv said, "I'm so sorry, had I known.." about her father killing Jake's wife? That's what her dad does. I hate it when she acts like she is different. I'm so glad she is getting called on it. 

Thanks, Ellen, for that speech that meant a whole bunch of nothing. 

Aw, poor Susan and her wine coolers. That's my take away from this.

I missed Mellie. 

ETA: Yeah Stephen Collins played a part in this show, sort of recurring as a reporter. I remember him in a few episodes, mostly the one when Fitz got shot and they were reporting about it. 

Edited by WhosThatGirl
  • Love 7

Sooo, did I hear the wife of the writer say that when she graduated from college in 1973.  Did she say 1973 (correct me if I'm wrong)?  Because if she did whoever wrote the lines after that declaration really warped the statistics IMO, as someone who graduated from college in the seventies.  But that was a Shonda statement that fit into why she supported her husband that didn't make any sense.

Kerry Washington is a really bad actor.  Those facial expressions make me feel like I'm watching a bad soap opera.

Go Jake.  I'm missing Mellie. 

Really David???

• Love 1

ETA: Yeah Stephen Collins played a part in this show, sort of recurring as a reporter. I remember him in a few episodes, mostly the one when Fitz got shot and they were reporting about it.

Exactly, I remember when his scandal broke and he was shunned from projects.

• Love 2

Yeah, I believe he was supposed to be in a few episodes during a report and they just wrote that whole thing out. Along with his part in Ted 2.  Seriously, this episode was..not good. Poor Susan, I will say it always. I feel for her. She's the only decent person left on this show. They are probably going to ruin that in a hot second though.

The parody of this show on Jimmy Kimmel is ten times better than this. Everyone should be watching that fyi.

• Love 2

I am so torked!  Why couldn't they just let David be a decent man with integrity?  No of course he has to go and be hot for the witch.  I had naively hoped maybe they were going to put the only two truly good characters we've been shown together.  Heck no guess the VP isn't sexy and evil enough.  Dog gone it now I don't like David either and I did until tonight.  I have been cooling towards Liv but tonight I think ice ran through my veins toward her.  The show is all twisty and curvy which is usually is a good thing but tonight I found myself mad.  Oh well will have to see what next week brings.

• Love 1

Did I cheer when Jake yelled at Oliva? Yes. Yes I did. I enjoy when Olivia gets a talking to. Seriously, Liv said, "I'm so sorry, had I known.." about her father killing Jake's wife? That's what her dad does. I hate it when she acts like she is different. I'm so glad she is getting called on it. 

I thought Jake's speech was dumb. He's a hypocrite - or is the audience supposed to forget that he was in F906 for years, was briefly Command, and killed Cyrus's husband to save his ass? In other words, of all the characters who can claim to be no different from Rowan, Jake is the one for whom that's the most true. 

I want next week's episode to begin with Kerry Washington speaking to the camera and saying "Rowan died on the way to his home planet" and then we never see Poochie again. 

Also, did Jeff Perry always deliver his lines in that singsong way or is that new? And his speech was also pretty ridiculous. Olivia has been the President's girlfriend for as long as there's been a show. Her position and her influence on Fitz hasn't changed. He listens to her exactly as much as he always has. I also think it's a pretty direct refutation to the fan complaint that Olivia is somehow like a maid, even though she's the most powerful person in DC entirely independent of her relationship. 

• Love 9

Sooo, did I hear the wife of the writer say that when she graduated from college in 1973. Did she say 1973 (correct me if I'm wrong)? Because if she did whoever wrote the lines after that declaration really warped the statistics IMO, as someone who graduated from college in the seventies. But that was a Shonda statement that fit into why she supported her husband that didn't make any sense.

Kerry Washington is a really bad actor. Those facial expressions make me feel like I'm watching a bad soap opera.

Go Jake. I'm missing Mellie.

Really David???

I can't remember the stats quoted in the show, but in 1973, 16% of men and 9.6% of women had completed four or more years of college.

http://www.statista.com/statistics/184272/educational-attainment-of-college-diploma-or-higher-by-gender/

And yes, KW's facial expressions are so overdone and distracting. I don't understand how she ever won a Golden Globe.

Edited by KittyS
  • Love 2

I think that look on Olivia's face when she realized Cyrus was right, that she had effectively become the POTUS because she had complete control of Fitz and his total trust, was a moment which could have ended the series. She achieved it without having to give up OPA or her legal independence as a single woman, and she was in an openly committed relationship with arguably the most powerful man in the world. Still can't stand Olitz but I have to say "Brava!" to Olivia. She has the power of the office without the stress and aggravation, plus she gets to sleep in POTUS' bed without dealing with the First Lady crap.

That turn of events with David and Lizzie was eye-roll worthy, IMO. I kept waiting for one of them to say, "Are you as turned on as I am?" "More!" At least Shonda steals from the classics:

Gut feeling that the Ersatz Bill Cosby Feminist Writer role was originally for Stephen Collins. 

Hah! That actor was really distracting to me because he looked and acted so much like Michael Douglas. I kept wondering if there's another Cosby-eque scandal that hasn't hit public awareness yet. It'd be huge because as the son of Kirk Douglas, Michael Douglas is like Hollywood royalty.

Did I cheer when Jake yelled at Oliva?

OMG, after Mellie going in on her last week, this was like icing on the cake. The only topper for me would be if Fitz takes her down after he finds out about her latest machinations with Mellie and the congressional committee. After all he gave up for her Liv's still lying to him and trying to run his life. Some people not named Fitz would consider that a sign of fundamental disrespect and a deal-breaker.

how she ever won a Golden Globe

The Golden Globes have decidedly lower standards than the Emmys. Pretty much everybody in Hollywood gets a Golden Globe eventually if they hang in long enough.

• Love 3

Portia deRossi posted a pic on Twitter of Ellen with her head in her hands and captioned it "My wife right now" after her very predictable hate sex scene.

You know, I said a bunch of times "Why is Jake still here?" but I have amended that to "If Jake is going to tell Olivia about herself each week, I am here for it." It's so satisfying, such a welcome change from "Liv is the greatest, her gut is never wrong, she's Washington's feminist icon."

I felt so bad for Susan sitting there with her wine coolers all nervous. She really is the only genuinely good person on this show, so of course she can't get any. 

The rapist professor was the dad on Boy Meets World. His hair is totally white now but his face is the same.

Overall I found this episode pretty dull. I did laugh when Liv was like "We have a client!" because for real, OPA should be out of business.

• Love 7

Overall I found this episode pretty dull. I did laugh when Liv was like "We have a client!" because for real, OPA should be out of business.

And even then the client was like "you know the president, tell him something for me please". 

• Love 2

Yawn.

But I did like Jake telling off Liv.

David and Lizzy's on the other hand- ugh. I'd rather watch Huck and Quinn.

Loved Elizabeth calling David a "red-faced little weasel", though I think "worm" would have been more fitting.  And then David ripped into Elizabeth, though his arguments felt weak.  So of course they had to get intimate.  Wonder what Ellen thinks?

She was referring to Cyrus, which is absolutely more fitting. Sweaty and red-faced... in fact. Which, yeah.

I didn't like Susan getting 'dissed because she's heavyset.  that's always the worst thing any woman can be in TVland.

The last scene of Olivia realizing she is the most powerful person in the world was kinda cool. But because I NEVER forget, how does she walk around the city all alone when 6 months ago she was worth 6 billion dollars or something?  She is no less important now, probably more.  Major faux pas like this piss me off.

• Love 2

The parody of this show on Jimmy Kimmel is ten times better than this. Everyone should be watching that fyi.

I just went over and checked that out and it was hilarious. Way better than this episode, which I couldn't even finish. I'm so so tired of the B613 crap. I just cannot believe that Olivia would even consider Rowan's deal after all that he's done to her and for what? to avoid marrying Fitz? to avoid testifying? It's not a life or death situation. Did she just forget that her father has killed A LOT of people-- including one of her associates? She's supposed to be smart enough to know what the consequences of that action will be, who she's putting at risk to be murdered. Ugh. I'm going to have to drop this show until I know for sure Rowan is dead dead. Like stabbed in the head after rising as a zombie dead.

It's pretty cool that Olivia and Abby can communicate telepathically. Also, it's pathetic that Fitz still can't read Liv-- especially when everyone else immediately figured out that she was behind Rowan's escape.

• Love 2

Maybe I like gross pairings because I ship both Huck and Quinn and now apparently Lizzie and David Rosen. There is still hope for me because I do not ship Olivia and Fitz....well I kinda did today with Fitz being Olivia's lapdog. That was hilarious with Olivia calling the shots standing on the Presidential seal with Fitz sitting to the side taking notes like a good minion.

I agree (I read somewhere) that scene would have made a perfect series finale.

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 1

I thought Jake's speech was dumb. He's a hypocrite - or is the audience supposed to forget that he was in F906 for years, was briefly Command, and killed Cyrus's husband to save his ass? In other words, of all the characters who can claim to be no different from Rowan, Jake is the one for whom that's the most true. 

I want next week's episode to begin with Kerry Washington speaking to the camera and saying "Rowan died on the way to his home planet" and then we never see Poochie again. 

Also, did Jeff Perry always deliver his lines in that singsong way or is that new?

I have always found Jeff Perry to be so over the top in this role. But it's not just him—I find it's pretty much a Shonda show "thing." All of the speeches tend to have a rhythm to them, almost to the point that you could tap dance to them. Sorkin does it too. Drives me bonkers.

The rapist professor was the dad on Boy Meets World. His hair is totally white now but his face is the same.

Thank you! I could not remember what old show he was from!

• Love 3

I really wanted to like Jake's dressing-down of Olivia, but that was such an awkward and poorly written speech that I couldn't. Partially because The writers are counting too much on the audience caring about Elise's death, which really doesn't matter to me at all.

Was this the first episode where Josh Malina & Portia de Rossi shared a scene? They had zero chemistry together. And it was made all the worse by the reminder of the effortlessly charming interaction he and the vice president shared last week. Although I was not expecting the VP to be the third point on this triangle - I was expecting it would be Abby who walked in on them, thus starting the long march toward their reconciliation.

I also thought Liv's initial reaction to Cyrus's final speech at the end was that she genuinely did not understand up until then just how much sway she had over the President. Like, she knew she could get Fitz to do stuff, but she hadn't quite put it together that she could effectively run the country. I liked that the show is (finally!) acknowledging what a worthless little crap-weasel Fitz really is, off to the side and taking notes in the oval, but I don't think the fictionaly United States is any better off with Olivia in charge than wth Fitz.

Sally Langston is like the Charlie Brown of D.C. - she always thinks she's gonna get the real story, only to have Liv yank back the football at the last minute. I do love Sally's smug face when she thinks she's winning, but she's gotta figure out a new strategy soon.

• Love 4

So half the cast knows already Liv released her father, even the new guy but they're dragging out Fitz knowing? 

I find no use of Jake but found his attack on Liv good, she did what she did just so she didn't have to wear the ring on her finger not caring at all to who her father killed because as long as it's not her, who cares!

• Love 1

I also thought Liv's initial reaction to Cyrus's final speech at the end was that she genuinely did not understand up until then just how much sway she had over the President. Like, she knew she could get Fitz to do stuff, but she hadn't quite put it together that she could effectively run the country. I liked that the show is (finally!) acknowledging what a worthless little crap-weasel Fitz really is, off to the side and taking notes in the oval, but I don't think the fictionaly United States is any better off with Olivia in charge than wth Fitz.

I usually take a lot of breaks while watching this show, but I got to see the final scene and her standing in the oval office, on the presidential seal, with a glass of liquor, giving orders to her "secretary" Fitz, said it all. I busted out laughing,  Fitz truly looked like Olivia's bitch.

And I agree, that she didn't realize just how much power she really had over the presidency until Cyrus schooled her. 

• Love 4

I want Susan to win everything that can be won.

Okay, here's the deal: First, where did the first 7 or 8 accusers come from? Where did Liv and company find them, when at first all they had was the first woman - the plagiarist?

Second, how did they get 22 women together in the middle of the day (and a dozen or so more than in the morning) to march into the lecture hall to surround Cosby/Randall, or whatever his name is. It's this kind of unrealistic crap that keeps me saying "Okay, that's enough." So why don't I leave. Probably because of Joe Morton, but perhaps I can find him on other shows.

And David and Portia what's her name - please, show, just please. 

• Love 3

I really wanted to like Jake's dressing-down of Olivia, but that was such an awkward and poorly written speech that I couldn't. Partially because The writers are counting too much on the audience caring about Elise's death, which really doesn't matter to me at all.

Seriously. Are we supposed to be choked up about a wife we've known about for 20 minutes?

Like others have written, the overhead shot of Oliva standing on the Seal as she came to a greater awareness of her true powers would have been the perfect winter or season finale shot.

I felt so bad for the VP as she sat there with her wine coolers. Hook her up with New Harrison especially since he seems pretty useless and unremarkable.

There is no Lizzie and David chemistry. I don't want to see that abortion again.

No Mellie? Not enough Huck or Quinn? Short of the final shot, this was a C- episode.

• Love 1

It's pretty cool that Olivia and Abby can communicate telepathically. Also, it's pathetic that Fitz still can't read Liv-- especially when everyone else immediately figured out that she was behind Rowan's escape.

Exactly....everyone knew what happened and Fitz is totally clueless? Does he think the Senate really just decided not to investigate? If this happened in real life the press would never shut up about it and the blackmail story would eventually get leaked.

• Love 1

Lizzie and David Rosen is the grossest gross that ever grossed.

I was really pulling for Susan Ross. :-(

Scandal is simply not the place where the nerdy, G-rated, sex-capades of Susan Ross and David Rosen will ever come to fruition.

But you would have to have a heart of stone not to feel for Susan Ross, sitting outside with her sad little wine coolers, while David Rosen was taking a trip around the world with the sexy, soulless (and panty less) Lizzie North.

• Love 4

That is funny, thanks for posting about it. It is really nice to be reminded I don't hate Joe Morton's acting, just Rowan.

• Love 1

I was really pulling for Susan Ross

I was hoping she would  go right in and, from the camera point of view, spin around, place the wine coolers on the desk, and wordlessly walk out.

So who killed Elise?  Jake?

Second, how did they get 22 women together in the middle of the day (and a dozen or so more than in the morning)

Obviously they use the same people retrieval service that Alicia Florrick employs.

That was some glass of liquor Olivia had in the final scene.  Enough for an all nighter of decision making.

I don't know where Mrs. Professor got her stats; maybe they were accurate, but I started college in 1972 and plenty of women rented apartments there without their fathers' signature, and I assume many had credit cards also.

I can just imagine the scene  in the Pentagon Situation Room, Olivia posting pictures of Putin and Assad up on the wall, Huck and Quinn chiming in with short bursts of information, and Fitz over in the corner.

• Love 1

So its official, in cannon, like Fitz is basically a jellyfish who cant actually do his job. I swear, that guy must be AMAZING in bed, because other than that, I have no clue what his appeal is. And thats from someone who really does not even dislike the guy!

Ewwwww David and Lizzie. Do.not.want. 

Do the people on this show just sit around their houses, practicing the millions of speeches they will give per day? How else do they have so many prepared? 

That Mrs. Professor was a scary lady. She had some super intense eyes going on. I don't think she just knew about her husband being a rapist, I think she was encouraging it. Why? No idea, but it seemed like she had the power there. 

• Love 1

I had two warring thoughts when I watched the scene of Jake dressing down Olivia. I did think he was being super hypocritical. I kept thinking of all the people he has killed and I kept expecting Olivia to bring that up. 

And yet, what Olivia did was so despicable that I want everyone to verbally eviscerate her and then some. He was 100% right about her. It's one thing if lives were at stake, or there were no other options, but she had other ways to get out of the situation, and perjuring herself was certainly a better option than letting out a mass murderer. That Olivia didn't have one moment's pause when Rowen made her the offer shows how right Jake was about her. Look, I hate Olivia/Fitz too and would rather not see them get married, but going to such an extreme just to avoid taking the plunge was just sick. 

When Olivia acted surprised that Rowen had Elise killed and said she never suspected something like that would happen, I wouldn't have blamed Jake if he strangled her again. She was either straight up lying to Jake about not realizing what Rowen would do, delusional, or stupid. She once plotted to kill her father because she knew how evil he was. He killed her boyfriend's son. She spent all of last season trying to stop him, but she didn't think he would kill a few more people?!

What was with the end of that scene - with the kiss. Why'd he kiss her? Why'd she let him kiss her? Was it a kiss good-bye? Was it something kind of Godfather "you broke my heart" thing?

It was why I had no use for the Cosby story. I know I was supposed to be rooting Olivia on, but I just kept thinking about what a horrible person she is and that she's basically a murderer.

Ugh the David Rosen/Liz thing came out of nowhere. I feel bad for Susan.

• Love 4

I don't think we're supposed to be rooting for David-Liz, or Dizzy Bear (that's what Josh Malina called it; don't blame me). I think we're supposed to know it's a sleazy hook up. And I'm calling it now -- the "happy ending" of this show is that we actually get a decent person as president and Susan Ross runs and wins.

President Liv was pretty good. Fitz really is a worthless empty suit. And Cyrus is a wuss. Fitz went back on his word not to give Liz North a job, and was confident that Cyrus wouldn't blow him up. 

I was hoping she would  go right in and, from the camera point of view, spin around, place the wine coolers on the desk, and wordlessly walk out.

So who killed Elise?  Jake?

Obviously they use the same people retrieval service that Alicia Florrick employs.

That was some glass of liquor Olivia had in the final scene.  Enough for an all nighter of decision making.

I don't know where Mrs. Professor got her stats; maybe they were accurate, but I started college in 1972 and plenty of women rented apartments there without their fathers' signature, and I assume many had credit cards also.

I can just imagine the scene  in the Pentagon Situation Room, Olivia posting pictures of Putin and Assad up on the wall, Huck and Quinn chiming in with short bursts of information, and Fitz over in the corner.

Seems like Liv is hitting the harder stuff more. She's living at the White House now, right? Or she essentially is. You'd think Fitz would have her choice of red wines available. Or maybe she needs something with more kick given her situation.

Jake didn't kill Elise (she's his wife right?). I think Rowan/Eli had her killed.

I guess we are supposed to feel good about the fact that as Cyrus pointed out Liv is pretty much the President, given that she provides and Fitz asks for her input on everything presidential. All that point does is makes me feel like this whole Olitz thing is all about power...Liv's power. Not that there is anything wrong with that, but I'd better not hear her talking about Vermont and making jam ever again! If Liv ultimately wants to be Prez, then fine. But don't shove that love story down our throats anymore.

• Love 1

I wasn't gonna post. But chiiiiile...when Camille Cosby snapped her fingers and Bill sat his ass back and shut up!!!!!!! Then proceeded to tell Liv how shit went down!

Still not feeling Harrison Light.

I keep wondering how Portia de Rossi's back looks these days after Huck carved her up like a steak.

Tired of the VP woman.

And Jake gots to GO. OFF THE SHOW. HATE HIM!!!! How the hell he talking about who ROWAN killed, and his ass killed James (and God only knows HOW many of dozens or hundreds of other people)? Ugh, he alone is starting to make me hate this show.

David Rosen is still filler.

Sally got a lot of nerve, too. Like she didn't stab her damn husband in the back.

• Love 1

What was with the end of that scene - with the kiss. Why'd he kiss her? Why'd she let him kiss her? Was it a kiss good-bye? Was it something kind of Godfather "you broke my heart" thing?

It was a good bye kiss. He's done wth her. As he walks away and his back is turned towards the scene you can see him wipe her kiss off his lips.

There are very few "angels" left on this show.  Susan Ross, David Rosen, Abby and New OPA guy are the only people that can actually wear a white hat on occasion.  However, only Susan is the one who is still untainted by any plots Olivia may have roped them into.

I loved that the "Shonda Twist" this episode was Olivia realizing that Cyrus was right and instead of shying away from her new found power, embraces it.  Of course, this is probably going to backfire when she makes the wrong decision.  Cyrus will be waiting in the wings for it to happen.  Also at some point Fitz will eventually find out that Olivia and Mellie are responsible for setting her father free.  Mellie will probably get over Fitz's rage but it is pretty damning for Olivia.  

As much as I love Scott Foley, there is zero reason for Jake to be on this show. Also these people have short memories which is completely inappropriate at times.  Jake killed James. Jake also worked for B6BlahBlahBlah.  Jake and his "wife" were both "not nice" people as a job. This sort of thing happens when you're in that position and they need to own it.

I feel the same way about that as I did about Cyrus when he was upset about James' death when he once placed a hit out on him which he called off at the last minute.  

Sally Langston can sit on her high horse but she whacked her gay husband at one point and she seems to have completely forgotten about that as has everyone else.

While Lizzie may be ambitious, she is no where on the level of any of these people.  She has never rigged an election or killed people to protect herself.

Finally, poor Susan.  I can see her discovering what's going on with Lizzie and David but I really wish they weren't going in that direction with her.  She'd be a formidable opponent for Mellie as President in the future since all we've heard about her is how squeaky clean she is.  Taking down someone with no skeletons in their closet isn't easy for these people.

Edited by FiveByFive

Loved Jake & Cyrus calling Liv on her shit. Same with Mellie & Sally in past episodes. They have done plenty of bad things in their lives, but so have Liv & Fitz and not only do they not get called on it even remotely as much as they should, Liv played dirty to save Fitz's sorry ass again, in more ways than one. As for Elise's death, she may not have been a good person nor there long enough to matter, but IMO Jake loved her in his own way, basically she's dead because of Liv & Jake had every right to put her on blast for it. Olitz's relationship/impending wedding reminds me of that line from The Birdcage, that the conservative senator told his daughter when he tried to get her to leave her fiancé's house because he didn't want to get caught in the home of a same-sex couple: "I realize that you want to get married, but how many lives do you have to ruin to do it?"

Poor Susan. When she was in the waiting room with her wine coolers while David & Lizzy were hate-fucking each other in David's office, I felt so bad for her. I, for one, have never understood hate sex because I believe that sex should be a gift for someone you love, not a chore with someone you hate.

I felt so bad for the VP as she sat there with her wine coolers. Hook her up with New Harrison especially since he seems pretty useless and unremarkable.

I disagree. His being less-than-impressed by Liv after first meeting her in "The Lawn Chair" proved that he's capable of calling Liv on her crap when necessary-which should happen way more often.

• Love 5