Type keyword(s) to search

Brain Bleed: The Shows We Hate & The Reasons We Hate Them

• Start Topic

ooh, Scorpion.  It has Kat McPhee in it who I also irrationally hate even though I have never seen her act.  No I didn't watch Smash either and I hated it too.  Because she was in it and NBC kept promoting it to death  -- seriously, I almost gave up watching NBC shows entirely in 2011 because in the run up to that show premiering in 2012 they ran a promo every single commercial break.

• Love 2

Breaking Bad-. Sorry, I don't care how hypped up it was or how many awards it won, I just could not bring myself to watch a show that glorified and conjured sympathy for someone who produced one of the nastiest mind altering substances ever concocted-to say nothing of all the poisons produced by the waste! No sale for me.

• Love 5

I hate Ghost Whisper because it was brought in as a "younger skewing" replacement for Joan of Arcadia, my all-time favorite show. Even though it ran for five years (three seasons longer than JoA did) and I never saw a minute of it, I was very happy when I heard of its cancellation.

Edited by tobia
  • Love 4

I hate Ghost Whisper because it was brought in as a "younger skewing" replacement for Joan of Arcadia, my all-time favorite show. Even though it ran for five years (three seasons longer than JoA did) and I never saw a minute of it, I was very happy when I heard of its cancellation.

I hated it for a different reason. Two Words -- Jamie Kennedy. His character, Eli James, got on my nerves. He became the Ghost Listener (iirc). And I wanted him to just go away.

Breaking Bad-. Sorry, I don't care how hypped up it was or how many awards it won, I just could not bring myself to watch a show that glorified and conjured sympathy for someone who produced one of the nastiest mind altering substances ever concocted-to say nothing of all the poisons produced by the waste! No sale for me.

This is the second time I've heard this and I honestly am not seeing it. I'm on Season 3 right now and it's an ugly, gritty, nasty look at the world of drugs and what they can do to you.  The whole gang was somewhat amusing at first, but it didn't take long for it to go downhill for them.  None of the characters are likeable, although there have been brief moments of sympathy here and there for two or three of them.  In fact, my husband stopped watching it because there was no one to root for-they were all horrible (the characters, of course--the acting really is pretty good). I've even said that if I thought for a minute that most teenagers wouldn't think that this was made up to make it look worse than it is, I'd suggest that they watch it just to get an idea of how ugly it can get.  I'm in recovery--21 years now--and have lived in Los Angeles and surrounding areas for about 25. I've heard and seen a lot of stuff, but I'm not afraid to say that I could be way off base about all of this.

Again, like I said in another post--this isn't a "Convince Me" thread, but I just don't see this as glorifying anything or trying to garner sympathy for any of them.  However:

No Breaking Bad or Weeds because they are about drugs, and I think the current spotlight, even when it shows how bad it is, makes it inadvertently attractive to stupid people.

I suppose romantic idiot has a point :)

Edited by Shannon L.
  • Love 1

I think the name is supposed to be ironic. Also, to be honest, if you're doing a show where the main plot conceit is that people who take Selfie photos and build Internet fame are shallow, then your distaste over the name actually matches how they want you to feel. The trick is getting people to get over their distaste for the name itself and watch the show to find out it's actually critical of that mindset, not supporting it. It's also no coincidence it's just a few letters off of "Selfish".

Well I guess they out-clevered themselves because I have no intention to get over my distaste for the name. Life's too short, and there's too much on to bother with that.

If that was true (that they claimed that) it doesn't even make SENSE.  Joan of Arcadia was a show about teenagers (admittedly played by 20-somethings).  Ghost Whisperer was a show about a woman in her 30s.

• Love 2

Agreed with the people upthread who mentioned The Bachelor and any other show resembling it. My theory is that it started out as a joke about TV writers' obsession with love triangles but spiraled out of control.

Of course it did. It was created by Heidi Fleiss's cousin, after all.

• Love 1

I love this thread.  For me it should almost be titled, Well What the hell do you watch anyway and why are you on previously.tv? because there are probably more shows I won't watch than will.  I think the most irritating are the ones your friends recommend to you over and over:

Orange is the New Black - hate prison shows, shows based in prison

Modern Family - Sofia Vergara is a no-deal for me.  Her accent.drives.me.nuts. (anyone remember Charo?)

Buffy - I actualy liked the movie, hate Joss Whedon, there I said it.

American Horror Story - Ryan Murphy and the hours I spent trying to be entertained by Glee I can never get back.

Any of the sub-teen vampire/princess/supernatural shows on the CW and similar - I'm a 40-something lady, I can't be watching these children, seriously

Scandal, Homeland, anything political - I grew up in DC and was always annoyed that outsiders only thought of politics when DC is so much more - oh yeah, add West Wing to that too

Any Aaron Sorkin

Friday Night Lights - so many people I respect say this is their favorite show of all time - just can't do it.  And I loved Kyle Chandler in a million failed shows he's been on through the years. 

Any animated shows - yes, I watched The Simpsons, South Park, Family Guy, King of the Hill, Futurama, Squidbillies, Beavis and Butthead, etc at the height of their fame, but, again, I can't do it any more, don't care how topical and amazingly funny they might be - Archer, I'm lookin' at you, too.  I think I'm over the pop culture thing of adults still digging cartoons/video games/comic book heroes, etc. 

Ahh, that felt good.

• Love 2
Selfie The title alone has put me off, and the promos aren't helping. I'm sick and tired of the "super hot girl is socially awkward" trope.

OT but related to pop culture: There’s this prominent blogger/author who recently got a puppy that he named Selfie. I never liked the guy, and my first thought upon hearing the news was, “This asshole would name his dog Selfie.”
  • Love 1
'm a 40-something lady, I can't be watching these children, seriously

This made me think of another highly acclaimed show I didn't want to watch when it was new and have no desire to seek out now: My So-Called Life. The fact that it only lasted one season is treated as if it's a crime against humanity, but the title alone puts me off. I work with teenagers all day and have no desire to see them on TV when I get home.

• Love 4

Any or most prodecural/case of the week/hospital shows that pop up. I've managed to not watch even a minute of any of the CSI's, NCIS or the Law & Order's or new network shows that has come out like Night Watch or Scorpion or the like I will never watch and I hate that all these shows take up room from what I'm sure are many original shows from talented people that could have you experience exciting drama unlike most of the crap you see on television but they never make it past execs because "it wont sell".

I hate them and I will never watch them*

*Exception, Criminal Minds, which I will bitterly watch to the bitter, bitter end.

• Love 3
Guest Accused Dingo

Mad Men.  There I said it,   I actually tried once; got ten minutes into episode one and then realized there were other shows I'd rather be watching on Netflix.

Other then that.  I honestly have no show that is on my never ever ever list.  I love tv....all tv.  There are very few shows that I won't watch out of general principal.  The idea for Mad Men just didn't interest me when it was first on and nothing about it has changed.  Oh there are shows I don't like that I have tried.  I got a few episodes in the Good Wife before I stopped watching that (still don't know what I never liked that one) and Under The Dome I gave up on after episode 3.  

Most of the half-hour comedies are a no go with me.  I am just not a comedy person.  I will check out Selfie simply because I like both if the leads but I doubt I will last long or care when it gets cancelled.  

Dramas however - most of them are on my to watch list.   Actually I think all of them are....yes even Stalker.    Its actually not bad.  

Edited by Accused Dingo
  • Love 2

*Exception, Criminal Minds, which I will bitterly watch to the bitter, bitter end.

They should solve everything much quicker this season with Jennifer Love Hewitt there to whisper to the victims directly. ;)

So i'm not totally off topic Suits or any lawyer show.

• Love 1

Interesting, since Criminal Minds is on MY personal "Shows You've Never Watched But Hate Anyway" list. I never for a moment had any desire to watch a show about serial killers.

I actually HAVE seen the show in the past year, while sitting in a auto repair shop fixing my car and watching the channel they had locked in. But that's after like a decade of successfully being able to ignore this show.

• Love 3

Twin Peaks. Everyone has been going on and on about it so I decided to start watching it last year on Netflix. I watched the 1st season and just could not continue on with the rest. Just too fucking weird for weird's sake for me. It came to a point that every time I heard that sweeping theme music it froze my innards solid.

• Love 1

A very funny thread so here are my list for intense, burning indifference. That which has been mentioned include: New Girl, Modern Family, Three and a Half Men, American Horror Story, Southpark, Beavis & Butthead (and basically most adult, crude humour animated shows), Girls, and 95% of reality television. 

If I missed it, but I realized when reading another thread (UO?) a big one of mine is: Supernatural. I've never watched an episode of show and I am not going to start. I didn't care for one lead and Jensen Ackles isn't enough for me to tune into one ep. From what I've read about it, it does seem to be the same dysfunctional, supernatural procedural over and over. 

Oh, and 2 Broke Girls. 

• Love 3

I was vaguely interested in Gotham until I learned Jada Pinkett Smith is in it. I can't stand the woman and she ruined several shows/movies with her "acting" for me so I figured this might me the same. Everything else might be awesome, but I just can't get over my distaste of her so the rest gets tainted too.

• Love 2

I was vaguely interested in Gotham until I learned Jada Pinkett Smith is in it. I can't stand the woman and she ruined several shows/movies with her "acting" for me so I figured this might me the same. Everything else might be awesome, but I just can't get over my distaste of her so the rest gets tainted too.

For me it's more a case of Gotham interesting me DESPITE her. So I DO know what you mean--it just didn't quite cross that line, since "Batman extended universe" interests me more than Mrs. Smith turns me off.

Then again, seeing her super-overhyped SON's name in this teaser poster for a movie version of Static Shock produced the identical knee-jerk rejection effect in me for that movie that Jada's name did for you with Gotham ("hell no, now I'm not gonna see it!")

Blech!

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/10/07/static-shock-comes-to-the-big-screen/

static_shock___the_movie_by_alan_sp-d6ys

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 3

Ugh. I have news for her and the hubby, no matter how many projects featuring their kid that they bankroll, he's never going to become a beloved movie star.

For me, How to Get Away with Murder fits the thread title. I admire Shonda Rhimes for her diverse approach to casting and wish Viola Davis all the best, but the two Shondaland productions I tried to get into were horrible messes and the only use Private Practice was to me was as a sleep aid.

• Love 3

I don't get what's so wrong about a show titled "Scandal," since scandal is a real world.  But I can't watch a show called "Selfie" because selfie is NOT a real word, it's a word that narcissistic, self centered people made up because they couldn't stop taking pictures of themselves on their smart phones.  

Edited by Neurochick
  • Love 3

I don't get what's so wrong about a show titled "Scandal," since scandal is a real world.  But I can't watch a show called "Selfie" because selfie is NOT a real word, it's a word that narcissistic, self centered people made up because they couldn't stop taking pictures of themselves on their smart phones.  

The one issue is that the show isn't (as far as I can tell) celebrating those narcissistic, self centered people, but parodying them.

The actual weakness of the title is, I suppose, that it doesn't properly communicate the show's disapproval of that lifestyle.  People assume it's an endorsement.

• Love 3

I think there's enough scandal already out there, I don't need to watch as entertainment. What Kromm said about Selfie.

I think there's enough scandal already out there, I don't need to watch as entertainment. What Kromm said about Selfie.

Episode 1 and 2 I had some reservations about, but Episode 3 was actually pretty damn great.

• Love 1
Beavis & Butthead

I remember thinking, based on zero times watching it, that this sounded like the stupidest show ever, and perhaps it was.  That didn't keep me from laughing out loud despite myself, the one time I saw it on.  (At the insistence of some college buddies who were, let us say, impaired at the time.)  Somehow, it hit the culture exactly right when it aired.  Never saw it again.

Edited by ToxicUnicorn

I remember thinking, based on zero times watching it, that this sounded like the stupidest show ever, and perhaps it was.  That didn't keep me from laughing out loud despite myself, the one time I saw it on.  (At the insistence of some college buddies who were, let us say, impaired at the time.)  Somehow, it hit the culture exactly right when it aired.  Never saw it again.

Beavis & Butthead was made by the same person who made King of the Hill, if you've seen that more.  Also the cult-classic movies Office Space and Idiocracy. None of them are art, but all are somewhat more clever than they first appear to be.  

• Love 4

I watched a couple of episodes a little while ago. And whether or not someone likes the show it is a pretty awesome time capsule of 90's pop culture.

• Love 2

Any show with a person named Kardashian in it.  The mere existence of those people irks the shit out of me.

This is a winner for me!  Especially since, as someone else upthread mentioned, they have invaded virtually every legitimate media outlet, from once-classy magazines that have evidently lowered their standards to media moguls who are desperate for ratings and should know better.  Yes--I'm talking about you, Oprah!  Vogue, More Magazine, etc., you deserve some criticism, too.   What slays me is that whenever readers express their displeasure, the editors claim with a straight face that Kim & Co. are "cultural icons," "excellent businesswomen," or whatever.  Madams are excellent businesswomen, too, but I don't see them on the cover! 

When I see their faces or their names on the cover, that is one magazine I will not be purchasing.  The wedding specials for chicks who will do anything for a dick, a smile and some attention.  The fashion lines comprising cheap clothing for department stores.  Now, there's a game with Kim's name and animated image attached to it.  They are trotted out on the red carpet at awards shows.  Heck, Kim was even someone's guest at a White House Correspondents dinner a few years ago!  The fuck?!  They're like a virus that infects everything and everyone they touch.

It's jarring to know that people have made them multimillionaires because of a sex tape featuring a wannabe still riding his sister's coattails and a thirsty bimbo who allowed herself to be used as a human urinal.  That the whole damn "fambly" fronts as if they don't know the real reason they became famous and actually believe they deserve their fame makes it even more disgusting.

I won't even touch on Marie Claire praising one of the Jenner brats for rocking "new epic" cornrows.  Never mind the millions of Black girls and women who have worn that hairstyle FOR CENTURIES or that some Black professionals still face flack (in 2014!) for wearing "ethnic" hairstyles in the workplace.

It's Friends that gets this from me. Not only did I not laugh once at any of the episodes, but that theme song by The Rembrandts was more than enough to push me away from this awful excuse for a comedy. 

As soon as I hear that theme music, I can't reach for the remote or run out of the room fast enough.  How this mess became a cult classic is beyond comprehension to me.

• Love 12

Beavis & Butthead was made by the same person who made King of the Hill, if you've seen that more.  Also the cult-classic movies Office Space and Idiocracy. None of them are art, but all are somewhat more clever than they first appear to be.  

And while it wasn't a Mike Judge product IIRC, Daria was also a spinoff of Beavis & Butthead, and was a real gem of MTV animation.

• Love 8

For me it's more a case of Gotham interesting me DESPITE her. So I DO know what you mean--it just didn't quite cross that line, since "Batman extended universe" interests me more than Mrs. Smith turns me off.

Then again, seeing her super-overhyped SON's name in this teaser poster for a movie version of Static Shock produced the identical knee-jerk rejection effect in me for that movie that Jada's name did for you with Gotham ("hell no, now I'm not gonna see it!")

Blech!

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/10/07/static-shock-comes-to-the-big-screen/

static_shock___the_movie_by_alan_sp-d6ys

Will Smith, stop trying to make Jaden Smith happen. He's not going to happen.

Along with Gotham, I'm really not interested in watching Arrow or The Flash series either, no matter how good my friend (a DC fan) says the latter two are. I guess the trainwreck that was Smallville pretty much ruined all CW superhero dramas for me. If anything interesting does happen on any of these shows, I'll probably find it in a gif set on tumblr. 

• Love 4
Will Smith, stop trying to make Jaden Smith happen. He's not going to happen.

Seriously. Is it wrong to admit I actually despise the Smiths more than the Kardashians? At least with the latter, it feels hilarious that the only people who fall for their delusions of adequacy are the media, but even Will Smith himself hasn't been that relevant since at least Men in Black 2.

I realise it wasn't mentioned in the context of this thread, but I totally agree with King of the Hill being here. From the few clips I've seen, it just seems so fucking dreary and unpleasant, which is the exact last thing you want from a cartoon.

• Love 5

We've all encountered them: those shows which sound like they'd be right up your proverbial alley but aren't, like those people who look like they'd be great matches for you on paper who you just can't connect with when you meet them! Shows which critics and/or fellow TV fans continually praise and urge you to watch. Shows which you just can't shake the feeling that you SHOULD like, but somehow just can't. This is the place to chat about it! 

A few that spring to mind:

Parks and Rec: I should LOVE this show, and I do think it's sweet and mildly entertaining. The stumbling block is that I just don't find it remote funny. And I've really, really tried! 

Modern Family: Same as above...only without the part about thinking it's sweet and mildly entertaining :) 

Mad Men, Breaking Bad, Walking Dead...basically everything ever on AMC: I get that objectively these shows are high quality, but they just don't engage and entertain me at all. Every time I try to watch, I end up surprisingly bored and/or actively loathing all of the characters, and not in a 'love to hate' way. 

• Love 1

Oh,and I forgot to mention Breaking Bad. When I heard about the premise of the show, I thought it sounded really interesting. I watched a few episodes, but I wasn't sucked in. Then, the episode with the guy "melting" in the acid bucket is where I called it quits. I have no interest in being that grossed out - I am easier to gross out than most.

• Love 3

I expected to like Breaking Bad, because Bryan Cranston (bailed about four minutes after the opening title).  I expected to like Mom, because Allison Janney (forced myself to stay to the end of the pilot, but no more).  I expected to like Psych, because Dule Hill (watched the first season, but the lead character's serial, perhaps even sociopathic, abuse of relationships annoyed the living hell out of me).  I liked Studio 60 (Bradley Whitford), but hated how Sorkin screwed up the scripts - the man cannot meet the logistical requirements of an American broadcast television season.

I expected to like Commander in Chief (female President?), but the West Wing set that bar too high.  Pretty much any non-Sorkin president of the last twenty years lacks credibility to me (except President Henry Hayes on Stargate SG-1, but William Devane has beaucoup experience at president-ing).

I expected to like SNL; I was a grad student in the sciences, a liberal, it was supposedly up my political alley.  I think I disliked it because it was often shoddy, and I was in an environment where shoddy work would get you kicked out.  Also, The Super Bass-O-Matic (a concept so toxic Wikipedia doesn't seem to have an article on it) - saw the first rerun of that and it still makes me gag.

I thought I expected to like Ascension, but the scheduling (burned off in three consecutive nights in the middle of December), and the timeline provided at the website (crew was asleep through launch?  could it be <gasp> fake? and sorry, only Matt Weiner can presently do a good American take on the sixties) caused me to read the spoilers in the forum here, and I was able to skip the try-to-like-it part.

Edited by kassygreene
  • Love 1

Based on my previous love/tolerance for JJ Abrams shows, genre shows, serialized shows, and what my dad calls "ooley ooley oo" shows, I should have liked Lost, but I didn't even last into the first season.  There were too many characters and too much shouting.

Sorkin can't meet the logistical requirements of anything.  I attended a college commencement where he was the speaker, and he came to a big climactic crescendo about three times.

Edited by Jipijapa
  • Love 3

I forgot to include NCIS! It's wildly popular, and as a huge mystery fan who's always wishing most crime shows had more humor, energy and vibrant characterizations, on paper this one sounded like a made-for-me show. Instead, I can't even make it through an entire episode. I took an immediate visceral loathing to Tony, Abby and Gibbs and just found the whole thing excruciating. 

• Love 2

Purchased that DVD release of the "Original 39" of The Honeymooners (1955-56), and what I thought would be a hilarious golden-age comedy of the 50s is, in my opinion, simply average. There have been a few laughs in the 8 episodes that I've seen of it so far, but it hasn't been the riot that I thought it would be. 

• Love 1

I know that all sorts of hate will shower down on this one, but. ..Scandal. I tried, I really did. However, I was so distracted by the odd acting, the rapid pace of speech, and the main character's weird mouth.

I wanted to like it.

But in the first episode I watched, a year or two ago, Phoebe from Friends was presented as a viable Presidential candidate.

After that, I just couldn't.

• Love 2

I wanted to like Northern Exposure (1990-95 CBS dramedy starring Rob Morrow, Janine Turner, John Corbett, et al.), so I purchased the No. 3 (1991-92) release to try it out (that was because that was the only one that the Wal-Mart in Simpsonville had). I saw one or two episodes and so desperately wanted to enjoy the show, but quite a few of the storylines, as well as the overall setting of small-town Alaska, turned me very much off to it.

Edited by bmasters9
  • Love 1

I tried so hard with Firefly, but I just couldn't watch it.  I tried way more times than any other show.  I kept getting distracted or forgetting it was on while watching it.  And this was after it was off the air, so it has nothing to do with episode order or airing schedules.

Similar with the Simpsons.  

I don't hate either of these shows and can see why so many people like them, they just do nothing for me.

• Love 4

Scandal is on my list as well! 

wanted to like Northern Exposure (1990-95 CBS dramedy starring Rob Morrow, Janine Turner, John Corbett, et al.), so I purchased the No. 3 (1991-92) release to try it out (that was because that was the only one that the Wal-Mart in Simpsonville had). I saw one or two episodes and so desperately wanted to enjoy the show

I forgot about this one! I feel the exact same way. I love quirky, small town dramedies, but Northern Exposure just didn't work for me. I couldn't stand either Joel or Maggie. 

Another one: Parenthood. A family-centric dramedy starring Lauren Graham (I'm a huge Gilmore Girls fan), Peter Krause, etc.? Sign me up! I figured it would be one of my favorites shows ever. Instead, I think it's mawkish, treacly, and just really unpleasant to watch. 

Edited by amensisterfriend
  • Love 1

American Horror Story. I like horror, the supernatural, sci-fi, weirdness, and all that good stuff. But while this show sounds so good on paper, I found it boring.

I also thought Homeland was boring and I kept trying because of all the raves, but gave up.

• Love 5

The Walking Dead and The Last Ship:   They were just too dull for me.  I thought the first episode of TWD was interesting, but by the end of the second episode, I was already bored.

Psyche:  I actually did like a few episodes, but it got old really fast. 

Dr. Who because it was just too cheesy for me.  I hear it when my husband and daughter are watching it and have heard a few cute lines from the doctor, but all in all, I get bored quickly each time I try to watch a whole episode.

Gotham:  It's a great production--costumes, set design, etc. and I think the guy who plays the Penguin is fantastic, but that's not enough to keep me interested.

• Love 2