Type keyword(s) to search

Brain Bleed: The Shows We Hate & The Reasons We Hate Them

• Start Topic

Another one I wanted to like is Designing Women (1986-93 CBS comedy with Delta Burke, Dixie Carter, Meshach Taylor, Jean Smart, et al.); I rented the first season's worth (1986-87) from the base library when I stayed with my sister in Alabama once. It started off good and funny out of the gate, and for a little while, I thought for certain it would be something that I would like to see all of (in fact, for that reason, I purchased that first release sometime later), but it got derailed by the 18th episode, "Oh, Suzannah," in which Suzanne fosters a Vietnamese boat child. I don't know about you, but in my opinion, that came across as very much a Very Special, and that was where it ran off the rails, and as such, was where I said "no more."

• Love 1
Grimm I loved Buffy, Angel, and Supernatural, and I even liked Charmed until it got to ridiculous, but I can't stand Grimm, primarily because the two leads are black holes that suck all the charisma out of the show.
  • Love 5
but I can't stand Grimm, primarily because the two leads are black holes that suck all the charisma out of the show.

Yes! They're painfully flat and underdeveloped. Combine that with the fact that the show's mythology ranges from totally nonexistent to annoyingly inconsistent, and I found myself unable to like Grimm no matter how hard I tried. 

• Love 1

I keep, keep, keep trying to watch Doctor Who.  And every time, I keep wandering off in the middle of the episode.  Every time they get a new Doctor, I tune in again because I think this time's going to be the charm.  And every time... I can't.

• Love 1

The Office.

My little brother recommended it to me because as an Arrested Development fan, he thought it'd be right up my alley. But nope. I've tried to watch multiple episodes from various seasons, but it's just so boring to me. I've honestly tried to give it a fair chance, but it's just not funny imo.

Edited by Gumdrops
  • Love 5

I expected to like SNL; I was a grad student in the sciences, a liberal, it was supposedly up my political alley.  I think I disliked it because it was often shoddy, and I was in an environment where shoddy work would get you kicked out.  Also, The Super Bass-O-Matic (a concept so toxic Wikipedia doesn't seem to have an article on it) - saw the first rerun of that and it still makes me gag.

I was going to say that I wasn't surprised that SNL was on this list because you kind of need a special kind of chemistry between the age you are when you start watching and the cast and writing at the time to really like SNL.  I started watching in the era of Lovitz, Hartman, Carvey, and Hooks. So pretty perfect timing for me.  I drifted away not long after Mike Meyers went to the main cast and most of the cast I was familiar with started moving on to other things.  However, Bass O Matic (it does exist) is the original cast.  I'm surprised people didn't connect with those years, but I guess in retrospect its easier to appreciate it.  You see only the legendary clips.  When watching the prior years celebrating the 40th anniversary, its pretty clear they were still trying to figure out what they were.  Interesting looking back but some of it must have sucked on the first run.

I wanted to like Northern Exposure (1990-95 CBS dramedy starring Rob Morrow, Janine Turner, John Corbett, et al.), so I purchased the No. 3 (1991-92) release to try it out (that was because that was the only one that the Wal-Mart in Simpsonville had). I saw one or two episodes and so desperately wanted to enjoy the show, but quite a few of the storylines, as well as the overall setting of small-town Alaska, turned me very much off to it.

I was never a huge fan but if I recall quality declined so season 3 was probably a bad place to start.  The setting is the only thing that started me watching because its small town Washington and I'd been there every summer since I was a kid.  I'd watch and marvel that none of it was set dressing.  I recognized the camel sign (they only added the 's).  I recognized the totem poles.  I recognized the building that served as the fire house that the show bought a fire truck for (that didn't fit) as a thank you gift for letting them film.  I've drunk car bombs in the Brick.

Grimm, primarily because the two leads are black holes that suck all the charisma out of the show.

I really should find that season of Road Rules he was in just for comparison.  I have the same problem with that show.  I should like but I don't.

• Love 1

The Battlestar Galactica reboot- I love science fiction, can enjoy edgy and bleak if there's a good story there, and really dig long story arcs. But I need my speculative fiction to also deliver in the sense of wonder category, and they tried too hard to be gritty and socially relevant that they forgot about the wonder, and I only made it about half way through the original miniseries before I switched over to watching Farscape DVDs.

• Love 4

The Battlestar Galactica reboot- I love science fiction, can enjoy edgy and bleak if there's a good story there, and really dig long story arcs. But I need my speculative fiction to also deliver in the sense of wonder category, and they tried too hard to be gritty and socially relevant that they forgot about the wonder, and I only made it about half way through the original miniseries before I switched over to watching Farscape DVDs.

I listened to Ronald D. Moore's podcasts and his sense of wonder was a terrifying thing.  He had an idea about the Opera House back in season 1 that made me thankful for a SyFy executive the only time in the history of the universe for talking him out of it.  I was just sad that no one was reigning him in by the end of season 3.

• Love 1

I enjoyed Battlestar Galactica in the early goings, but it just got to be too much for me at a certain point. I know dark and gritty has gotten real popular and all, but I need levity in my shows. With BG it's like, there was no light at the end of the tunnel. Just a big black whole of gloom and doom.

There's a reason I watch mostly sitcoms/comedies.

• Love 2

The Walking Dead--watched the first season and was bored to tears.

Modern Family--Only watched a handful of episodes, but I just don't get all the praise for this show, seems painfully typical to me.

Edited by DittyDotDot
  • Love 3

It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia: I've tried at least a dozen times to watch it and don't understand the appeal at all. People who normally like the same shows as me love it though, which completely mystifies me.

That's exactly how I feel about that show. It's not in the least bit funny to me, just a bunch of idiots being nasty to one another.

Edited by Mulva
  • Love 5

The Walking Dead and The Last Ship:   They were just too dull for me.  I thought the first episode of TWD was interesting, but by the end of the second episode, I was already bored.

I am the same with the Walking Dead. I watched the first three or four episodes and mostly I thought it was ok, but I really couldn't suspend disbelif that the entire US government and society could essentially be overthrown by zombies. I was always wondering things like, "so the people in Alaska are ok right?" or "with all the guns in the US, hunters must be going crazy. I mean open season on Zombies that are less intelligent than deers and you would have no limits.".

Another big one for me was Better off Ted. Should have liked it because I liked the cast and I usually like goofy workplace comedies. But this was too much of quirky for quirkys sake for me and I just couldn't handle it.

• Love 2

I love murder mysteries. Books, movies, TV, plays, you name it. I even enjoyed The Killing and Gracepoint. But I have to force myself to get through an episode of How To Get Away With Murder. I absolutely Hate Watch it. To me there isn't a single remotely likable character to root for.

• Love 5

I tried so hard with Firefly, but I just couldn't watch it.  I tried way more times than any other show.  I kept getting distracted or forgetting it was on while watching it.  And this was after it was off the air, so it has nothing to do with episode order or airing schedules.

Similar with the Simpsons.  

I don't hate either of these shows and can see why so many people like them, they just do nothing for me.

Finally, someone else who feels "blah" about The Simpsons! To me, that show is okay, but not okay enough to actually take time to watch.

I keep, keep, keep trying to watch Doctor Who.  And every time, I keep wandering off in the middle of the episode.  Every time they get a new Doctor, I tune in again because I think this time's going to be the charm.  And every time... I can't.

This is one of those shows I really, really want to like ... but don't.

• Love 1

I think it's the tone of Doctor Who that throws me off every time.  And I realize that fans of the show love the tone, so it really is just me.  And it could be just a thing that has to do with the Stephen Moffatt era and not Doctor Who as a whole series.

I mean, I really really want to like Doctor Who.  I love sci fi.  I love classic sci fi.  I deeply respect the fact that show has been on forever.  I watched "The Day of the Doctor"  50th anniversary just out of respect (and, I actually did enjoy that episode).  I liked Matt Smith.  I like Peter Capaldi as the Doctor.  I just can't get through an episode.

• Love 1

I think it's the tone of Doctor Who that throws me off every time.  And I realize that fans of the show love the tone, so it really is just me.  And it could be just a thing that has to do with the Stephen Moffatt era and not Doctor Who as a whole series.

Personally, I've had a hard time with Doctor Who since Stephen Moffatt took over. I really liked the first season of the reboot with Christopher Eccleston, and enjoyed the David Tenant years, but since Moffatt took over as showrunner it seems to have lost something in my mind. I can't quite put my finger on it, but it feels like there's a lot more running and shouting and fast talking and everything is brighter and shiner and really colorful, but less...I don't know...heart, maybe? Funnily, I think Moffatt wrote some of the best episodes before he took over as showrunner, though.

• Love 5

I so strongly desired to like Murder, She Wrote (1984-96 CBS Sunday detective series starring Angela Lansbury as mystery writer and amateur detective Jessica Fletcher), so I purchased the first release of it (the repackaged, single-sided version) because it looked like it might be something very appealing and welcoming, as well as something I'd enjoy for a long time to come. Alas, not to be: I found Jessica Fletcher (or at least Lansbury's portrayal of her) to be very off-putting, albeit I cannot find the words to explain why. 

• Love 2

Penny Dreadful.  I don't know why.  I tried a couple of times but I just can't.  

I liked the Walking Dead for awhile but I got bored.

Supernatural.  I should like it but I don't and I am not sure why.  My own reasoning is lack of estrogen.   I need me some estrogen.

That reasoning makes sense to me and this comes from someone who considers BSG reboot to be one my top 10 shows of all time.  Yes it stays gritty and bleak throughout the series but also socially/politically relevant and  incredibly well acted from start to finish.  But yes bleak as hell.    Never did like Farscape been awhile since I tried though.  maybe I'll check Netflix see if it streams and try again.  

Edited by Chaos Theory
But for some reason, I just can't like Agents of Shield.

I tried watching the first few episodes, thinking I could go for something to replace Chuck.  Silly, upbeat, root-able good guys.  

I found the show un-watchable, partly because of the stock characters, but mainly because the Ming Na character was such a pill.  I thought she was horribly miscast.  I've liked Ming Na in other roles: enjoyed her debut on The Joy Luck Club and thought she was fine on ER.  However, I just couldn't buy her as some badass, no matter how tight the black leather, how high the heels, or how deep the scowl.  Once I found out the (TWoP) forums disagreed with me and thought she was a great character, I bailed.

UO: I thought the dinosaurs very nearly made Terra Nova worth watching.  Sure, it was horrible, but I would have watched it a little longer to enjoy the unusual setting.  The plot itself (although not the acting) was just starting to get more interesting when they pulled the plug, too.

Does Dr. Horrible count? I liked Neil Patrick Harris and that was it. I didn't think it was the best thing ever.

Agreed.  Why on earth is this considered a big deal?   

Edited by ToxicUnicorn
  • Love 2

I started watching Breaking Bad over the summer and got to the start of Season 3. I haven't seen any episode since. I liked it well enough at the time, but I don't feel drawn to start watching it faithfully again.

I normally like behind the scenes showbiz dramas, but I didn't watch any more than the pilot episode of Nashville.

I watched Arrested Development because I kept reading about how brilliant it was. I quit when Buster lost his arm. I just could never find anything funny in that. I'm tired of people acting as though a crime against humanity was committed every time the show fails yet again to win a mass audience. 

• Love 1

My So-Called Life. I like teen dramas and so many people say that it is the best teen drama ever. I watched the first two or three episodes and realized that I can't stand the main character. Some shows have other characters that I love so much that I can overcome my dislike of the main character, but that was not the case with MSCL. I tried again a few years later, but I still felt the same way.

• Love 1

Big Bang theory is another one for me. People kept telling me I should like it, I am an engineer in my 30's who was I am pretty sure single when the show premiered, I like comic books and other genre stuff like that. But I tried the first couple of episodes and I just couldn't. It is like the writers took every stereotypical nerdy thing that Comic Book Guy from The Simpsons ever said turned it into 4 characters and made it into a show.

• Love 4

Big Bang theory is another one for me. People kept telling me I should like it, I am an engineer in my 30's who was I am pretty sure single when the show premiered, .

The first couple episodes were horrible but then it got good for a couple of seasons and then it got boring and full of itself. Maybe I've just gotten tired of the quirky nerd which is why I cannot watch Scorpion.

Edited by Chaos Theory

Mad Men – just found it really dull.  I think it was mostly the characters – just not engaging for me in any way.

Arrested Development – found it completely unfunny.  Because of the rave reviews, I watched about 6 episodes before realising that I’d smiled twice and not laughed once.  I have seen so many people tell me how clever this show is but, when I read about what people find funny about it, it just leaves me completely cold.

The Wire – I just couldn’t follow it.  I’m British and the accents threw me off totally.

The West Wing – again, I found it too difficult to follow.  Think it’s the combination of being a really fast paced show and, not being American, not really understanding the set up.

Angel – I loved Buffy but I found Angel pretty mediocre.  The show gets more and more ludicrous as it goes on - the character of Cordelia, especially, just becomes unrecognisable from the original character who used to be great fun.  The story arcs drag on and on and on - the Season 2 one spends so long setting up the story that I'd lost interest in it by the time things started happening. I don't hate long arcs but I don't think Angel is a show that manages to pace them very well.

• Love 2

I thought of another one I've actually tried watching a few times but could never get into...  the Amazing Race.  It's fine, but I just don't get what's so great about it.  I mostly got bored waiting for each person to get their check point.   I didn't find what they were doing whacky or crazy or interesting or innovative or anything.  It's just a scavenger hunt/road run on a larger scale.  Whoop-de-doo.  

• Love 5

I thought of another one...Deadwood. I watched the whole first season waiting for me to see why everyone raves about it. Sadly I never figured it out. I really wanted to like it--had a stellar cast and all--but, in the end I think it just took itself way too seriously.

• Love 1

I so agree about Dr. Who, Modern Family, Mad Men and Amazing Race. 

I semi-agree about Arrested Development. It's kind of in the same category as Parks and Rec for me: shows I like certain aspects of but feel like I should love more than I actually do. And in both cases it's because I don't find the actual humor particularly funny. (And in the case of Arrested Development, repeating the same dopey gags over and over and over in the name of 'continuity' drove me nuts! Like, just because you're mentioning ice cream sandwiches or the Blu Man Group or the line "I made a big mistake" or a million other things yet another time to remind us that you remember them doesn't make those things funny---it just makes your show annoying and smugly self-referential! And some of the sexual jokes were stuff that even my 11-year-old nephew would dismiss as too juvenile!) 

In both AD and P&R I like the more 'serious' moments far more than the attempts at humor...which I realize is a very odd opinion :) 

Another: Friends. I wish I could better explain why I didn't like it. It just didn't work for me. 

• Love 2

Had high hopes for Hannibal, The Newsroom, and The Following. Gave up on all three after several episodes.

I also wanted to love L&O: Criminal Intent because I enjoyed the original and SVU, but, nope.

I trudged through Mad Men. First 5 episodes were excruciating. Then, I got hooked. So I wonder if I had stuck with any of the shows I mention above, I would've gotten into it.

Edited by Ujio
  • Love 2

It funny soooo many shows on this topic I love then a few I don't. I agree about Modern Family but then I am not a comedy person it takes a lot to interest me. I think I am watching two at the moment.

I will watch a drama even if I don't like it. It has to outright annoy or worse bore me for me to not watch it. Penny Dreadful I tried to like but oh my God is it boring.

I won't tell you all the drama I do watch. Not the place but the list is long and slightly embarrasung.

Hannibal

No soup for you!

I really tried with Friday Night Lights but after half a season I gave up. I don't hate it or anything but none of the "great" drama and characters drew me in.

The Hour, also as mentioned, should be right up my ally but I found it dull. Think I quit before the last episode of the first series.

I might try Sons of Anarchy again but as it stands it wasn't interesting enough to watch more than a mini-marathon I had with 4-5 episode.

I'm not sure a really tried but I wanted to watched something new and thrilling and started with the Gotham pilot. Turned it off when I had about 10 minutes left. What a dull cluster of actors.

Agents of SHIELD. I love all the other Whedon shows (yes, Dollhouse too. Well, the second season at least) but three episodes of this dreck was enough. Dreadfully dull characters.

• Love 1
I really tried with Friday Night Lights but after half a season I gave up.

Oh, right---this! I still don't know why I didn't love this show. I love football. I love small town dramas. I loved the movie and book on which this show was based. But something about the tone just didn't work for me. Based on my similar dislike of Parenthood, I'm thinking maybe the guy in charge of those shows (it's the same guy, right?!) is just too melodramatic and heavy handed for my personal taste. 

• Love 1

Oh! Oh! And The Strain! So, so wanted to like it. And I did for a few episodes, embracing the ridiculousness and everything, but then I just became bored and the characters behaviour just became way too nonsensical. Watched it all the way to the end except the finale.

• Love 2

Had high hopes for Hannibal, The Newsroom, and The Following. Gave up on both after several episodes.

I also wanted to love L&O: Criminal Intent because I enjoyed the original and SVU, but, nope.

I trudged through Mad Men. First 5 episodes were excruciating. Then, I got hooked. So I wonder if I had stuck with any of the shows I mention above, I would've gotten into it.

Hannibal a big whopping yes. Did take a couple eps to get going but then magic happened. The following got suckier and suckier. Criminal Intent had its moments. I can't say about Mad Men or News Room.

• Love 1

I tried to watch The Hour, but I guess I expect better mystery from British mid-century period drama.  I tried to watch Gotham, even though I am not a graphic novel fan, because Sean Pertwee and David Mazouz.  But even though both these actors are doing a great job, and so is everyone else, I bailed after three episodes.  I didn't like the stories, I'm not seduced by the atmospheric awesomeness of Gotham City, and frankly the silliness of the sixties-era Batman still tickles me too much to give the apparently more traditional (can one say historically accurate about a graphic novel series?) interpretations of The Dark Knight a fair shake.

• Love 1

I tried with Gotham because I adore Sean Pertwee.  I ended up fast-forwarding through any scene w/o him in the first episode, and then I taped over the second without ever watching it.  I find my life perfectly complete sans Gotham.

• Love 1
No soup for you!

That reminds me: Seinfeld.  Except for the no soup part, I never found it funny.  

I tried Arrested Development also and never cracked a smile.  On the other hand, Always Sunny in Philadelphia makes me grin regularly so, you know, my face does work when necessary.

I'm the opposite of saki:  I'm American and have trouble understanding the accents on British tv.  I've gotten into the habit of watching with closed captions.  Really helpful when watching The Wire.  I wouldn't have made it through the first three episodes of The Wire if I hadn't been able to read the dialogue - but it became totally worth it.

• Love 2

My mother and/or I usually need to turn on captions for The Graham Norton show.  This in spite of my watching a huge amount of british programming over the years, and my mother spending three years as a teenager in Birmingham UK in the late forties.

I usually watch Doctor Who with captions.  Oddly I generally understood Nine, but Ten (and especially Ten & Donna) babbled at warp speed.  I could read faster then they spoke, but I couldn't hear as fast as they spoke.

Come to think of it I had to turn on the captioning for Broadchurch too.  

Edited by kassygreene
  • Love 3
Scandal is on my list as well!

I couldn't even make it past the first couple of episodes. Didn't like Olivia and saw nothing enjoyable about her toxic relationship with Fitz. Also, the dialogue was awkward as hell.

Twin Peaks. I wanted to enjoy all the weirdness for weirdness sake, but I just couldn't. 

The Blacklist. Haven't started it from the beginning, but  I have to say I wasn't impressed with the episode I did see. 

Penny Dreadful I tried to like but oh my God is it boring.

I actually liked PD pretty well, but admittedly it  started out strong and sort of lost momentum by the end. Also, little  was revealed that wasn't easy to guess  from the start. 

Edited by Beezel
  • Love 2

I actually love Penny Dreadful, but I totally understand being bored depending on where you stopped. I went through the show in one week, but even then I didn't find myself getting into it until the fourth episode, and I really only got to the fourth episode because it was available to me since I waited til the first season ended. Even though I love it now, I don't know if I would have stayed with it if I had had to wait a week between each of the episodes before that one. 

I agree with those who say It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia. Sometimes I find myself watching random episodes because it'll be on after another show I've watched, and I'll laugh at it, but I can't bring myself to watch it regularly and on purpose. 

Mad Men has to be another one, which is a shame because I love history shows, but it's just so boring.

Once Upon a Time. I was initially drawn in by what seemed to be an interesting premise along with some beautiful costumes and settings. I will put up with a lot if a show or film is visually captivating. I tried, but couldn't get into the many, many story lines, and not even the amazing costumes (and ultimately disappointing settings) could keep me watching. I do miss seeing Robert Carlyle and Lana Parrilla chew scenery in the best possible way, along with the prettiness of the actor who plays Hook...but not enough to get me to watch.

Scandal lost me at the commercial: "What. Did. You. Do?" I'll tell you what I did. I watched something else. Is the show supposed to be campy, because that line reading...oy!

• Love 1