Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Tournament of Champions

Athena
  • Start Topic

1 hour ago, dcalley said:

Name the state on this map where we've labeled Utah and Wyoming was $1600! In the TOC! That clue belonged in the kids tournament.

THAT'S where my mom should have yelled the questions were too easy, instead of the golden parachute one yesterday. 😂 Seriously...REALLY???

• Love 2
3 hours ago, opus said:

Weird seeing James in the middle

I thought my eyes were broken!  It did not look or feel right at all

12 hours ago, Katy M said:
13 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

Salpingo meant nothing to me I just assumed it was a technique related to the "ectomy".  I did recognize oophorectomy, so I got it right and learned something new on the forum.

I embarrassingly said it was the removal of eggs. Which wasn't totally incorrect, I guess, as there would be eggs removed

Lol I don’t know about that...I had an oophorectomy in my fifties, when there were no eggs left!

• Love 4

I got a couple of TSs -- Mickey Spillane and Oscar Wilde (though I guess that wasn't really a TS; more of a JS... James Stumper).

I knew they were asking for Michael Avenatti -- I could see his face in my head but not his name.

I think Wyeth required a BMS.

For FJ I said Lamentations and was very proud of myself... until the correct answer was revealed. Curses!

• LOL 3
  • Love 7
2 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

Awww crap.  I could tell Francois was dragging behind Mr Smarty and Emma early on.  So, these 3 will again be the contestants tomorrow night. Sure. Un-hunh. Another opportunity to witness the walking/talking Wikipedia. Has there ever before  been a contestant like James? How can one human being know so much?

My mom calls him Mr. Smug! I really don't care who wins; I don't have a dog in this fight. It would be nice to see Francois pull an upset, but I think we all know how it will turn out.

• Love 1

I, too, thought "Wyeth" needed a BMS. After all, there's Jamie, Andrew, Carson, and N.C.

And I'm please with myself that I got "Jeremiah" without much agonizing pondering.

At the vet's we use SQ all the time - the Q has no space before it and is upper case; the q in med directions is lower case.

• Love 1

I know the word jeremiad but couldn't get it out in time.

Did everyone see that Alex is giving $10 million to his alma mater, University of Ottawa? I only saw the headline so maybe that's wrong. I thought he went to McGill.

• Love 2
29 minutes ago, ABay said:

Did everyone see that Alex is giving $10 million to his alma mater, University of Ottawa? I only saw the headline so maybe that's wrong. I thought he went to McGill.

Alex Trebek increasing donation to University of Ottawa to hit $10M total

I was very surprised at how poorly Francois performed last night.  I hope he makes a huge comeback tonight.

I also got James' missed DD of Oscar Wilde - he comes up frequently on Jeopardy!.

For FJ, I said Exodus, thinking it might be the inspiration for exhortation.  It wasn't.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, Pallida said:

I was rather irritated there was no BMS for Guillermo Del Toro. 

There was no need in this household, but "Guillermo" may have been mangled.

1 hour ago, ABay said:

Wikipedia says Ottowa. I only know about McGill because of Jeopardy questions, Canadian questions are rarely in my wheelhouse (though if it's Nunavut, I'm on it).

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, PaulaO said:

Never heard of the word jeremiad,  but I certainly knew the Bible book wasn’t Ruth.

Yeah, that book's only a whopping 4 chapters long. But, then again I said Lamentations which I think is only 5 or 6.   If only I had heard the word jeremiad. 

Edited by Katy M
  • Love 1

I was very surprised at how poorly Francois performed last night.  I hope he makes a huge comeback tonight.

I think Buzzy was in last place after the first day of the ToC and now he's best known for hoisting that championship belt, so you never know (though I can't quite visualize the laidback Francois parading around with WWE-type hardware!).

When James lost, I remember there were those who thought he lost purposely for various reasons, the most popular of which was that he mentioned his kid often, and it was theorized he missed being at home. His memorable answer to that was, 'yes, I gave up a $150,000 an hour job so I could have toys thrown at my crotch!'

Emma played a great game that day and she just came out on top. It looks like an UO here, but I'm really enjoying their rematch. Emma has played a great tournament, though it looks like James is going to win big. 

• Love 5
2 hours ago, DXD526 said:

Emma played a great game that day and she just came out on top. It looks like an UO here, but I'm really enjoying their rematch. Emma has played a great tournament, though it looks like James is going to win big. 

It's not an UO with me. 🙂

7 minutes ago, bad things are bad said:

Didn't we recently have a picture of pistachios, with the question being pretty much "what kind of nuts are these"?

Yeah, that was a particularly stupid clue. It was on Wednesday's show.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 3

My only comment on last night's game is that James' answer of "Wyeth" for the painter of Christina's World should have required a BMS; there are 3 famous painters in that family, and the contestants should have had to specify which one.

I'm not sure I'm going to bother watching tonight.  I like actual competition and generally hate runaway games, and since it's unlikely that a miracle will occur, I'm not going to put myself through it.  Which isn't exactly James' fault - it's on the idiot producers for shoving the whole "Jeopardy James" bullshit at me.  (Plus I found myself sitting on the couch thinking about conspiracy theories, which I really hate, so better not to watch.)

14 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I, too, thought "Wyeth" needed a BMS. After all, there's Jamie, Andrew, Carson, and N.C.

LOL

12 hours ago, Pallida said:

I was rather irritated there was no BMS for Guillermo Del Toro. 

Are there other directors named Del Toro?  Maybe there are; I'm not up on foreign cinema like I used to be.

(Okay, clearly I lied when I said I only had that one comment.  Sorry 'bout that.)

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

Are there other directors named Del Toro?  Maybe there are; I'm not up on foreign cinema like I used to be.

(Okay, clearly I lied when I said I only had that one comment.  Sorry 'bout that.)

Benicio Del Toro has directed a couple things. I think being in the film industry is enough to require a BMS though. 

• Love 5

I said the Book of Tantrums, but thought I might be wrong. 

I recorded last night, and fast forwarded through most of it.  I like a little competition.  I'll probably half-watch tonight and do something else at the same time.  I'll pay attention to FJ, though, just in case I can break my streak of zero correct for this week.

• LOL 5

I'm bummed; I was inadvertently spoiled, and got all excited upon hearing Emma won ... and then I found out she won tonight's game, but with the two-day total James won the championship.  I was so happy for a couple of minutes there.

• Love 6
10 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I'm bummed; I was inadvertently spoiled, and got all excited upon hearing Emma won ... and then I found out she won tonight's game, but with the two-day total James won the championship.  I was so happy for a couple of minutes there.

It's still cool that she can say she beat James two out of three games.

As both an Emma and a James fan, that was enjoyable.

• Love 12

I got half of FJ.  OK, it would have been hard not to get the Japan part.

I did fairly well in the first round.  I did horrendously in the second.

I wish they would have started with a different clue with the measurement category, because like James I thought they were going for a specific product.  Although I'd never heard of a fifth of apples.  And I got 1 to 2 parts of most of the before during and after, but only managed the whole thing on one clue.

• Love 2

Begone, James! Do not darken my television screen again.*

*Yes, I'm well aware the show will come up with some ridiculous reason to have him back, but a girl can hope, wish, pray, and put it out there in the universe hoping it sticks.

• LOL 3
  • Love 11

I enjoyed Alex's talk with each of them,  I wonder what actress gave a shout-out to Emma & thought it was neat that her past teachers & Professors contacted her with Congrats.  James was seemingly annoyed with Alex for asking if "anyone had come out of the woodwork" to ask him for money.  Poor Francois could get no 'mojo" going. 

• Love 1
11 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

There was no need in this household, but "Guillermo" may have been mangled.

Obviously your family does not watch Jimmy Kimmel Live.

When I saw Bible and Ruth together upthread, my favorite candy bar came to mind.

I have no idea what UO is. Maybe it's just as well.

Yesterday's FJ, the only word I could come up with was gerrymandering. Maybe somewhere it's spelled jerrymandering, like on Seinfeld. Still a fail though. That I've never read the Bible and never will made that category not in my favor. Add me to that small, select, elite group who has never heard of that FJ word.

Kit Carson Wyeth ... one of my favorite illustrators.

1 minute ago, BuckeyeLou said:

Poor Francois could get no 'mojo" going. 

Francois ROCKED coming in third in the Jeopardy ToC. Few have that bragging right.

• LOL 1
  • Love 9
2 hours ago, dargosmydaddy said:

It's still cool that she can say she beat James two out of three games.

That's true, and it was a good final round of the championship even if my third choice won. 

And it gave me the Before, During, and After category, which I loved.

I was a little surprised by the volume TS, but I think it was only a TS because they started at the bottom of the category. 

I thought FJ wasn't quite as challenging as a ToC FJ should be,  but at least there was no "identify the highlighted state" type clues today; for the most part, I think the clues this tournament were appropriate to the level of competition.

• Love 4
5 minutes ago, dcalley said:

We graduated from state to country with the map that had Iraq labeled ("Mountains of Asia").

I didn't realize there was a map for that clue (for a few, I was only listening without also looking).  Hmm.  Well, I withdraw that specific praise, then, but I still think in general the clues were befitting a ToC final - I think on the whole they were more challenging than in regular play.

4 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

Can't believe I missed the game of the century (Lily Tomlins' snort snort), but I took a catnap & just woke up. So, Emma beat James tonight but he *still* won as he had more $$ in total?  Now there's a win-with-an-asterick! I kinda like that ☺

There’s no asterisk, he beat her the previous night by a wide margin and was right there with her tonight.  I still give her credit.  Beating him earlier in the year was no fluke, she pushed him both days in this final.

• Love 10

No one know Mickey Spillane!

I did! LOL.

I admit it, I'm a James fan.

Me, too.

I have another confession that may get me ostracized from this group.  I liked Austin too.

If you get ostracized, I'll go with you.

The Austin love-hate reminds me of a university on-line readers-writers group I once belonged to. I know for a fact there were quite a few members who liked amateur sleuth (aka "cozy") mysteries and romances. But no one would admit it, going for the darker, "literary" novels.

And now I'll confess. I did not like The Da Vinci Code.  

• Love 5
10 hours ago, Bastet said:

I was a little surprised by the volume TS, but I think it was only a TS because they started at the bottom of the category. 

I was also surprised that Alex asked for a BMS whenJames answered liquor.  Liquor wasn't even a little right, since the answer was volume, so why a BMS?  I think that threw off the others too, until he gave the answer and they realized what the category was about.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Ailianna said:

I was also surprised that Alex asked for a BMS whenJames answered liquor.  Liquor wasn't even a little right, since the answer was volume, so why a BMS?  I think that threw off the others too, until he gave the answer and they realized what the category was about.

I wondered about that too. I said quantity for that clue but I guess that isn't the same as volume.

It was an okay tournament but I thought it was a little lacklustre.  I enjoyed the tournament with Buzzy and Austin a lot more.

At least I got FJ last night

Edited by Trey
12 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Obviously your family does not watch Jimmy Kimmel Live.

You would be right. I go to bed early, and we only record one late night show.

11 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I never thought about abalone being a big snail.

I never did either, but for some reason, it's the answer that popped out of my mouth. 😄

8 hours ago, Dobian said:

There’s no asterisk, he beat her the previous night by a wide margin and was right there with her tonight.  I still give her credit.  Beating him earlier in the year was no fluke, she pushed him both days in this final.

It's a two day final challenge for a reason, while I love Emma - and I love that she beat him in the second game - the total is the total, and James won, full stop, in my opinion. I mean, that's the way it has worked on every tournament, right?

1 hour ago, Ailianna said:

I said from the couch "nope. The response would be 'no,' not 'be more specific'. It was wrong, not incomplete."

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 1
12 hours ago, Bastet said:

I thought FJ wasn't quite as challenging as a ToC FJ should be,  but at least there was no "identify the highlighted state" type clues today; for the most part, I think the clues this tournament were appropriate to the level of competition.

There was that picture of pistachios, though. Perhaps they thought it would be difficult because they weren't dyed that god-awful red. I never understood that. Why dye a green nut red?

• LOL 3
  • Love 2

I don't think James played his "best" on the last day - he missed a couple of clues that he wouldn't normally. JMO, and probably because I got those clues correct - I had my nanoseconds of stardom as mentioned before (answering correctly what James missed).

Good for you, Emma, to give him an exciting run to the finish!

I didn't care who won; however, I was happy with the final standings and thought the 1st, 2nd and 3rd place standings were a correct reflection of the tournament. They were ALL superb players even though Francois appeared to lose his buzzer touch in the finals. James was a beast, as was Emma. I applaud them!

Alex, hang in there. You da bomb.

• Love 6
13 hours ago, Bastet said:

for the most part, I think the clues this tournament were appropriate to the level of competition.

Yes.  I've criticized past TOCs for being too easy, especially in the first week.  This year I thought they were appropriate.   They don't want to get TOO hard lest the audience playing at home get discouraged at not being able to answer any correctly and tune out.  But the TOC was harder than regular games, and that's good.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, ABay said:

I wondered if Alex and the judges thought he said "liquid" rather than "liquor"?

That makes a lot more sense.

1 hour ago, Prevailing Wind said:

There was that picture of pistachios, though. Perhaps they thought it would be difficult because they weren't dyed that god-awful red. I never understood that. Why dye a green nut red?

They used to dye pistachios to hide imperfections and blemishes - it was a way to foist lesser quality nuts off to consumers. I think it also had something to do with imports, but that part of the equation has slipped from my aging mind.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4
35 minutes ago, Bliss said:

I don't think James played his "best" on the last day -

That could be said about everyone in the tournament who did not win, as well as everyone who does not win a "regular" game. Even Triple-Crown-winner Secretariat was beaten in the Whitney by an unknown horse named Onion.

• LOL 1
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

That could be said about everyone in the tournament who did not win, as well as everyone who does not win a "regular" game. Even Triple-Crown-winner Secretariat was beaten in the Whitney by an unknown horse named Onion.

I agree in general and specifically about Secretariat 😉

I thought Emma did play her best in the final (last) game. She was on her game... found that DD and fearlessly bet her wad it all... had 0 incorrect the entire game... and I bet her being so 'on' put James (just a bit) off. e.g., his question for the "r"chitecture answer - how many times did we see him make such a goof? He totally forgot the category. That was not typical for him.

However, overall, he played to win - as they all did, of course. The main difference being, IMO, he was quicker to the buzzer. I also think he's the most well-read contestant I've ever observed. There do not seem to be many topics that he doesn't know in astonishing depth. His brain is lightning quick, especially answering those before-during-after categories. Sheesh! Blows me away and keeps me humble - every time I think I'm pretty schmart, I remember James.

2 hours ago, chessiegal said:

I was wondering if they would have accepted volume of liquor.

I've never heard of a peck of liquor - although I'm sure some of my redneck acquaintances would disagree!

• Love 10