Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Tournament of Champions

Athena
  • Start Topic

46 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

They always clear the board in tournaments - it's the only way to keep the games equal.

Players in the TOC are usually really good.  So, they're faster and clear the board.  It's not some conspiracy from the producers giving them extra time.

• Love 1

I forgot to set this up to record, and didn't get home until it was almost over, but that's okay; I got sick of James (and even more sick of his fans, such as Alex), so I'm fine with not seeing him again until the next round.

• Love 4
8 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Those clinking champagne glasses look a little like turkey legs on my screen.

Whatever floats your boat!

Instead of beeper, I said pager. I assume that's the same.

I haven't heard of beefalo.

I didn't get FJ. I'm not sure I could have pulled Marian Anderson's name out of my brain, but I guess I thought that Lincoln Memorial performance was much later. Anyway, I first thought Paul Robeson, then went with Lena Horne.

7 minutes ago, Katy M said:

Players in the TOC are usually really good.  So, they're faster and clear the board.  It's not some conspiracy from the producers giving them extra time.

But the only way to make tournaments fair is for every contestant to have the same opportunity to make equal amounts of money in every game. I'm not saying it's a conspiracy. I'm saying that's the way tournaments are done.

• Love 5
6 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I got sick of James (and even more sick of his fans, such as Alex)

I'm sorry that you are sick of us, but James is the first person who played Jeopardy the way I dreamed someone would! Yes, he had mostly runaway games but I liked that someone was playing to win by having confidence in himself to bet big! I have watched Jeopardy since it came on in the '60's and even scheduled my college classes so I wouldn't miss it! I love BIG wins!!

• Love 17
5 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

Maybe it's the virus that my eldest picked up at school & was kind enough to share with me talking. 

Sharing is caring.

.....but maybe James being on tonight will perk things up. (sorry @lb60 )

I don't understand how people have gotten the idea that I don't like James.

;-)

I've managed to get FJ the past two nights, but I'm not really impressed with the tournament, so far.

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
46 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

Instead of beeper, I said pager. I assume that's the same.

It's the same, but the category was Past Bedtime, and Alex explained, " Each response comes shortly after the word "bedtime" in the dictionary."

• Love 7

Now that I've had a chance to read the archive for the majority of clues I wasn't time in home to watch:

The "It's Not Australia" category was weird, but I'm assuming Alex offered an explanation that it's countries also starting and ending with A.  Without any explanation, I stared blankly at my monitor for Andorra, but catching on, I got the rest of them.

I loved the Intials -> Roman Numerals -> Numbers category!

"Kellyanne Clarkson" for Kelly Clarkson made me simultaneously laugh and cringe, as I suspect Alan conflated her with Kellyanne Conway.

None of the TS surprised me tonight, but I was surprised knowing "The song called 'Begin the [this dance]'" = beguine was worth $2000.  I know, I know - before their time.

• Love 5
4 minutes ago, Bastet said:

"Kellyanne Clarkson" for Kelly Clarkson made me simultaneously laugh and cringe, as I suspect Alan conflated her with Kellyanne Conway.

He was closer than he knew. She’s Kelly Brianne Clarkson. He just needed the “Bri“

• Love 3
11 minutes ago, Bastet said:

but I'm assuming Alex offered an explanation that it's countries also starting and ending with A.  Without any explanation, I stared blankly at my monitor for Andorra, but catching on, I got the rest of them.

No explanation given.  The players seemed confused by it, too.  Their understanding might not have been helped by starting at the bottom.

• Love 8
On 11/5/2019 at 1:33 AM, biakbiak said:

Colin Jost annoys me so it amused me that with a picture and saying he hosts WU no one got it!

Literally me when that happened:

ha ha simpsons GIF

2 hours ago, chessiegal said:

But the only way to make tournaments fair is for every contestant to have the same opportunity to make equal amounts of money in every game. I'm not saying it's a conspiracy. I'm saying that's the way tournaments are done.

Yes, all the clues must be revealed to be fair, but this only applies when wildcards are on the line. After the wildcards are awarded, clues may be left uncovered.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I'm not sure I could have pulled Marian Anderson's name out of my brain, but I guess I thought that Lincoln Memorial performance was much later. Anyway, I first thought Paul Robeson, then went with Lena Horne.

I, too, thought Paul Robeson (a friend of my parents), then Lena Horne. Then <snap of fingers> Marian Anderson...too late to write it down.

Good to be back y'all. Long story short: I was in a local production of Mamma Mia. Rehearsals started in May. Although I managed to see J! most nights, I was too tired to "do" forums. The show was a blast.

• Love 7
8 hours ago, SpiritSong said:

Ooh, which one? I've only seen Mystere and would love to see all of them.

It’s a travelling one called Axel, and it’s on ice, so it should be interesting, I think.  One of my bucket list trips is to go to Vegas just to see all Cirque’s resident shows there.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, zoey1996 said:

It's the same, but the category was Past Bedtime, and Alex explained, " Each response comes shortly after the word "bedtime" in the dictionary."

Ah, thanks. Sometimes I don't pay attention to Alex listing the categories and giving explanations.

10 hours ago, Bastet said:

That's what I thought, too. And it looked like the second it escaped from his mouth, Alan knew he had misspoken.

10 hours ago, Bazinga said:

No explanation given.  The players seemed confused by it, too.  Their understanding might not have been helped by starting at the bottom.

I wonder why there was no explanation. Maybe, like you said, starting at the top would have made it clear, and maybe the writers did that on purpose because they knew players (i.e., James) would likely start at the bottom.

7 hours ago, Mystery Author said:

I, too, thought Paul Robeson (a friend of my parents), then Lena Horne. Then <snap of fingers> Marian Anderson...too late to write it down.

Next time I'll snap my fingers. 😄

Good to be back y'all. Long story short: I was in a local production of Mamma Mia. Rehearsals started in May. Although I managed to see J! most nights, I was too tired to "do" forums. The show was a blast.

What part did you play?

Edited by peeayebee
  • Love 1
14 hours ago, Katy M said:

I had no idea on FJ.  I said Nat king Cole for lack of a better answer.

Ditto.

It was nice seeing James again. Can't say I really remembered the other two contestants.

• Love 2

I knew Marian Anderson because a relative applied to the DAR in the 1950s and they required her to come in for an interview, which was not standard. She was sure it was to make sure she was white, because her last name was one that many black people had. Even years later she would bring this up, along with the DAR not letting Marian Anderson sing in their hall, and "Does the name Crispus Attucks mean nothing to them?"

• Love 5

Thanks, Jeopardy producers for making me hate James, when before I was merely tired of him.  Okay, we're not talking Austin-levels of hate, because James himself is relatively unassuming and definitely not a hipster douche, but still.

And these games so far haven't seemed all that difficult to me, not for a Tournament of Champions.  I really shouldn't be able to get most of the answers right at this level, imo.

• Love 1
19 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

But some folks thought James was tired from all the games, one on top of another, and was sort of burnt out by the time she beat him.. He's just too fast with the answers and knows so many & varied things.

Some people refuse to admit that anyone could've beaten James and have to make excuses, which is an insult to both Emma and James.

16 hours ago, Bazinga said:

Yep, this was definitely a category where starting at the top would've helped.

5 hours ago, Trey said:

Can't say I really remembered the other two contestants.

I remembered both of them, which is more than I can say for some of the previous nights' contestants.

52 minutes ago, tvaddict44 said:

Ryan Fenster plays on Friday.  He's the one who told the story of a puppy who climbed up the hill with him and he left him there.

Oh, dear god, I tried to forget about him.  Please let him lose, please!

21 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

I thought he found the puppy on top when he got there.

I think that was the case, and it was a pyramid in Mexico if I remember correctly,  but either way, he didn't help the poor thing get down.

• Love 5

I am extremely fond of Alex, but his fan-boying over "Jeopardy James" (ick) is unappealing. And I like James. 

The Roman Numerals category was a team effort in casa Toothbrush. I suck at them, so I gave the initials & my kids translated into RN. I didn't even know they taught Roman Numerals in school anymore. The only one I got was the $200 clue - MM=2000. 

I knew FJ but could not come up with Marian Anderson, but I knew I would know it the moment it was revealed. Hate when that happens. Dr Toothbrush could not get past Mahalia Jackson which we both knew was incorrect.  

Nice to have you back @Mystery Author I am re-reading the last few Kinsey Milhone mysteries & have been thinking about you. 

17 hours ago, lb60 said:

Sharing is caring.

I don't understand how people have gotten the idea that I don't like James.

😉

I've managed to get FJ the past two nights, but I'm not really impressed with the tournament, so far.

As long as the sharing stops with me & doesn't extend to his sisters I am good with it. Hubby has the iron-clad immune system of a pediatrician so I'm not worried about him.  

Just took a wild guess about you not liking James 😉

6 hours ago, Trey said:

Ditto.

It was nice seeing James again. Can't say I really remembered the other two contestants.

I actually remembered all 3. Wonders never cease! 

4 hours ago, tvaddict44 said:

Should someone who abandoned a puppy on the top of a mountain be allowed to participate in the TOC? Just food for thought....

NFW!!!! 😡

• Love 2

I know it's too early to discuss today's episode but I am bummed because my stupid DVR didn't record it! (It's set up for a series record, and it's never just skipped an episode for me before) So when we are able to discuss, if someone could list the contestants who played and what their totals end up being at the end (approx) that would be so appreciated. Thank you in advance for your consideration!

7 minutes ago, ClareWalks said:

I know it's too early to discuss today's episode but I am bummed because my stupid DVR didn't record it! (It's set up for a series record, and it's never just skipped an episode for me before) So when we are able to discuss, if someone could list the contestants who played and what their totals end up being at the end (approx) that would be so appreciated. Thank you in advance for your consideration!

The Jeopardy Fan website has that info now.

I should have skipped tonight, too, for all the good it did me!  Cubism never entered my mind -- I said Deco as well, knowing it was wrong.  And the only two TS I got were Hilton Head and charge.

I'm already ready for regular games again.

• Love 1
24 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I got FJ! Whoo-Hoo.  And that's about all I can say.  I got a couple of the clues right, but I don't understand what Jeopardy Key Words Not! meant.

I didn’t understand that either. 

I’m amazed that James’ breath of knowledge extends to knowing Pa Ingalls’ first name.

• LOL 1
56 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I don't understand what Jeopardy Key Words Not! meant.

We didn't either, but apparently it was all non-Pavlovian-response answers. Normally, Paul McCartney's band makes you think of the Beatles, and dairy state makes you think of Wisconsin, but those weren't correct here.

Here's the painting from FJ:

houses-at-estaque-1908.jpg!Large.jpg

• Love 4
22 hours ago, Katy M said:
23 hours ago, chessiegal said:

They always clear the board in tournaments - it's the only way to keep the games equal.

The ToC has nothing to do with clearing the board. There have been no unplayed clues, both boards have been cleared, no money left, in games played on October 25, 28, 29, 30 and 31, and November 1. That's six straight games before the ToC started. Perhaps there are more, I did not go back earlier than Oct. 25. This info is posted for every day on TheJeopardyFan.com.

Ryan Fenster found a puppy at the top of a very steep pyramid and left it there. Then he got to come back to Jeopardy on some technicality which enabled him to combine both of his appearances to get the five wins to qualify for this tournament. Ugh.

Am I the only one who came up with Cab Calloway for yesterday's FJ? (I'm still not able to watch the show, even President Eisenhower's videos lock up after a few clues.)

Today's FJ was a snap for me. Not only did my five years of art school pay off, some years ago I had a litter of dogs that I named for artists. One was registered as The Cubist, his call name was Braque. He finished his championship easily and went to live in California. He was white with odd blocks of tan on his head and body.

• LOL 2
  • Love 5
54 minutes ago, PaulaO said:

I’m amazed that James’ breath of knowledge extends to knowing Pa Ingalls’ first name.

Not so odd IMO since Little House is rerun for three straight hours here every afternoon and has been since forever (or so it seems). Charles and Caroline! More difficult would be his middle name, Phillip.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, PaulaO said:

I didn’t understand that either. 

He did say he spent a lot of time in the kids' section of the library to learn stuff for Jeopardy.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2

I am extremely fond of Alex, but his fan-boying over "Jeopardy James" (ick) is unappealing. And I like James. 

The Roman Numerals category was a team effort in casa Toothbrush. I suck at them, so I gave the initials & my kids translated into RN. I didn't even know they taught Roman Numerals in school anymore. The only one I got was the $200 clue - MM=2000. 

I knew FJ but could not come up with Marian Anderson, but I knew I would know it the moment it was revealed. Hate when that happens. Dr Toothbrush could not get past Mahalia Jackson which we both knew was incorrect.  

Nice to have you back @Mystery Author I am re-reading the last few Kinsey Milhone mysteries & have been thinking about you. 

As long as the sharing stops with me & doesn't extend to his sisters I am good with it. Hubby has the iron-clad immune system of a pediatrician so I'm not worried about him.  

Just took a wild guess about you not liking James 😉

I actually remembered all 3. Wonders never cease! 

NFW!!!! 😡

Alex is nearing the end of his life. If he gets joy from his interactions with James, good for him!! 

• Love 13
1 hour ago, PaulaO said:

I didn't like Little House on the Prairie, but my parents watched it, so I was exposed to it.  I haven't seen it since that original run, and barely remember storylines, yet I remember many of the characters' names.  I could use that section of my memory for much better things, but there they sit.  Probably because the show still gets talked about.

2 hours ago, opus said:

I was surprised. Emma’s interview was NOT about beating James.

I breathed a sigh of relief on that one; Alex is so far up James's ass he's wearing him as a hat.  (But, hate him stanning for James though I do, I love him correcting Emma's mispronunciation of bruschetta; it's not up there with "marscapone" for mascarpone, but "brushetta" bugs me.)

Hilton Head was a bit surprising as a TS.  For one of the bugle calls TS, I said "Charge!" as a joke, knowing that's the context in which it was used, but not really thinking that was its title.  I wonder if they were also afraid to make what they thought would be a dumb, obvious guess.  I correctly guessed the other two TS in that category, too, based on the text of the clue, but I'm not sure if I'd have guessed under game conditions; it would depend on the scores at the time.

I got the coccyx DD, but it's a flawed clue: You couldn't play that word in Scrabble, as there are only two C tiles in the game.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Katy M said:

I got FJ! Whoo-Hoo.  And that's about all I can say.  I got a couple of the clues right, but I don't understand what Jeopardy Key Words Not! meant.

Funny but before I read this I literally was going to post, "I got FJ. That's all I have to say." Seriously!

Anyway, I didn't understand the Jeopardy Key Words-Not either. I'd have to look at it all again to see if dcalley's explanation fits.

• Love 1
38 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

Anyway, I didn't understand the Jeopardy Key Words-Not either. I'd have to look at it all again to see if dcalley's explanation fits.

It does.  If just given "Paul McCartney band" most people's first thought would be The Beatles, but the rest of the clue tells you it's referring to Wings; "Dairy State" would make most think Wisconsin without the context instead indicates California; "March King" would bring up Sousa as a reflex response, but the verbiage tells you it's about Elgar; etc.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 7
25 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

You can if you have a blank tile, too.

Yes, and it would still be worth far more than tailbone (if placed on the same spaces).  It's not an incorrect clue (which is why I only said flawed), and Scrabble isn't the point of it so they're not going to get into the whole with the right letters and a blank tile detail (whereas if coccyx was written in the clue, they'd need to do some sort of "co[c]cyx" thing), but it bugged me a little.

Edited by Bastet
7 minutes ago, catrice2 said:

I have not kept up with the scores? 

Does Josh have a chance to make to to the semi finals? 

The Jeopardy Fan website gives him a 40% chance to get a wild card.

4. Josh Hill, $10,597

5 hours ago, illdoc said:

They might be saving it for next week, if they end up in the same semi-final.

Speaking of, is there any type of system for who gets matched with who in the semis of these types of tournaments?

What part did you play?

Hi Peeayebee, missed ya'. I played "chorus" :-)

The chorus sang every song, just about all of the second act songs as harmony-backup from the wings. I called us the wing-singers. Actually, the director had me do a bunch of funny pantomime bits, as well. But no adlibbing. Mamma Mia has strict rules and you can't add even one word to the script.

My next musical adventure is a Christmas Panto called GRINCHED. Lots of 70s and 80s songs (my kind of venue). I play The Narrator, a fun part because I interact a lot with the audience.

Anyway, back to J!....

I taught high school art [in NYC], so today's FJ was easy-peasy.

The kids used to giggle when I said Picasso had a blue period!

• LOL 1
  • Love 1