Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

13 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Criticize Carson Wentz for his choke time performance vs the Titans, and rightly so.  But Josh Allen today.....6 points vs the jaguars, two ints, one fumble, sack on 3rd down driving for FG in what should have been another fumble but was just inexplicably ignored by the refs, though it didn't matter after the missed 4th down.  Blowing it vs the jags ......ughhh

That's because the laws of the universe state that only one Josh Allen can play well in a game and Jags Josh was the chosen one this time.

• LOL 13
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, mojoween said:

mean, why wasn’t he traded by the deadline, if they hate him so much?

Other teams didn't want him at what the team was asking.   

He throws temper tantrums when he doesn't get his way.   He's already said if he doesn't go to a contender he "will cause problems."   I'm betting he goes unclaimed on waivers too.   And no one picks him up in free agency.

Titans -- already signed Adrian Peterson at 36 rather than wait for Odell to be availabel this week.

Raiders -- signed DeSean Jackson who as early as yesterday morning was seen as Plan B if they couldn't land OBJ.   

Teams who contend don't want someone who is about himself, not the team.   OBJ is about OBJ.   

• Love 3

There goes winning the division convincingly for the Bills. So they suck every time they play the Jags? Hopefully this wakes them up so they can start playing like they did at the beginning of the season. 

Edited by twoods
10 hours ago, DawnDavenport said:

Wow! Even generally mild-mannered Terry Bradshaw just read this trash for filth:

https://nypost.com/2021/11/07/aaron-rodgers-destroyed-by-terry-bradshaw-you-lied/

Love the ivermectin shade.

I guess it's not just the the "woke" SJWs cancelling you Aaron. 

Hope Shailene gets some sense and gets the hell away from him unless she's lost her damn mind too.

Shailene's way crunchy. She makes her own medicines and eats clay (allegedly she made Aaron a "COVID Cure"), she believes exposing her vagina to the sun helps with lack of energy (bad idea, because UV rays can damage the sensitive area since it doesn't naturally get sunlight in the first place), and she's on many lists of belonging to Hollywood's smelliest celebrities to the point where it's tough to getting designers to dress her because it's really difficult to get her body odor out of the outfit.

I'm not blaming her for Aaron Rodgers' bullshit, because he's a 38-year old man who is making his own life decisions (no matter how stupid and self-centered they may be), I'm just saying they seem like birds of a feather.

• Useful 3
  • Love 3
50 minutes ago, Popples said:

she's on many lists of belonging to Hollywood's smelliest celebrities to the point where it's tough to getting designers to dress her because it's really difficult to get her body odor out of the outfit

That is so fucking gross.

• Love 9
4 hours ago, merylinkid said:

Other teams didn't want him at what the team was asking.   

He throws temper tantrums when he doesn't get his way.   He's already said if he doesn't go to a contender he "will cause problems."   I'm betting he goes unclaimed on waivers too.   And no one picks him up in free agency.

Titans -- already signed Adrian Peterson at 36 rather than wait for Odell to be availabel this week.

Raiders -- signed DeSean Jackson who as early as yesterday morning was seen as Plan B if they couldn't land OBJ.   

Teams who contend don't want someone who is about himself, not the team.   OBJ is about OBJ.   

Right.  The video his dad posted was the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back - or more likely, the excuse everyone would understand to get rid of him.

I agree he won't get picked up on waivers.  The price is still too high to take a chance that he won't like being on that team and being disruptive again.  I'd like to think nobody will pick him up as a free agent, either, but I know someone will.

Rodgers just gets more ridiculous every day - scrambling for a new excuse.  Didn't know his girlfriend had bad body odor, so he must, too, to be able to be around her.  Gross.

So.... football...

I don't know how long the Ravens can continue this comeback drama.  I read that they have come back in four games this years after they were down to the point that they had less than a 15% chance to win.  I think they may have too many injuries to continue throughout the season, but I can hope!  Maybe the backups to the backup's backups can hold this thing together.  And Lamar, of course.

On the one hand, a Cowboys loss is always fun.  On the other hand, I have to root for NFC teams to beat AFC teams, especially if they are contenders, so, I'm conflicted.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, mojoween said:

I reiterate, I loved Aaron.  Also, lately, he looks like he smells.  So birds of a feather and all that.

Yeah. I'm not buying that this greasy new look is all for his John Wick Halloween costume.  He's a grown ass man, and capable of making his own decisions, but he still looked FINE when he was with Olivia Munn and Danica Patrick. Just saying. Now he looks like he's aged 10 years since he's hooked up with Woodley. And I'm sorry. You cannot play victim of cancel culture, when that's what you've always done to those that disagree with you. Including your FAMILY. 

Disclaimer. I am a Packers fan (nooooo, really?) I am pissed at him. But, I also know that anyone who watched yesterday's game can see that Jordan Love is not ready for Primetime. Yesterday's result was not Love's fault. MLF called a conservative game. The Special Teams were an abomination. The defense did its job and kept it within striking distance. KC is pretty mediocre this year. Love's stats were better than Mahomes yesterday. I'm putting this loss on Horse Med Boy. Love tried, but he was not ready to have his first start in that kind of environment, with that kind of media attention, due to the actions of QB1.

If the Packers are going to maintain a playoff run, Rodgers has to play. Will I cheer for him? I’ll cheer for his performance. I’ll cheer for my TEAM. My respect factor for the man is a different story. I've been a Packers fan since I was a kid. I'm sad. It feels like Favre all over again. Rodgers has gone from MVP, to being made fun of on SNL...and played by Pete Davidson (at least it wasn't Kyle Mooney). 

It's not going to happen, but I have this fantasy of Aaron Rodgers being Wally Pipped by Jordan Love.

Yeah, I wanted him to pull it off so badly, so I could haul out some 1970's O'Jay's goodness and dance around my living room to Love Train. No such luck.  It will be interesting to see the reaction when Rodgers returns to Lambeau. I think most are outraged, but there is that faction of fans yelling about "his body, his choice." It will be a mixed bag. My guess is the non-booers are the unvaccinated fans. It will be easy to tell if you're vaccinated, go to the game, and wonder if the drunk next to you has gotten his shots. In opposing stadiums, the booing will be merciless. And I'm here for it. Except Chicago and Minnesota. They can still suck it. :) I'll smile at Detroit booing him. Lions Fans never get to have any fun. 

Edited by ChicksDigScars
  • Love 5
3 hours ago, Johann said:

I don't know how long the Ravens can continue this comeback drama.  I read that they have come back in four games this years after they were down to the point that they had less than a 15% chance to win.  I think they may have too many injuries to continue throughout the season, but I can hope!  Maybe the backups to the backup's backups can hold this thing together.  And Lamar, of course.

If not on November 28th, then on December 12th.  I personally prefer them to tank on December 12th when Myles Garrett sacks Lamar 4 times, Nick Chubb runs for 200+ yards and 3 TDs while Baker and the rest of the offense put up 3 more TDs in whatever fashion Coach Stefanski thinks appropriate.  If Denzel Ward wants to add another Pick 6 for 99 yards, I would not complain.  Nor if another member of the Browns' secondary wishes to either tie or break Denzel's record. I don't think Coach Harbaugh would sacrifice Justin Tucker the way that Mike Tomlin did with Chris Boswell last week, so we will have to come up with some other way to neutralize Justin.  

For what I am paying to see this game live, I expect my Browns to put on a show to rival that playoff game in Pittsburgh last year or yesterday.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Johann said:

That was such a strange game. In the first half, everyone except Lamar looked terrible - badly coached, unprepared, lazy and confused. I don't know how a team comes off a bye week and plays like that.

But in the second half, it was completely different. Suddenly they looked like a proper team, on both sides of the ball. They shut the Vikings down on defense and the O-line started giving Lamar time to actually make throws.

I do think the injuries will catch up, at some point. The O-line is running on fumes, the secondary is struggling to compensate for the weakness of the front seven and the running backs are just trash. Freeman has been the best of the bunch, if only because he can still make a man miss and find an extra couple of yards.

But the fact that the Ravens are 6-2 is testament to both Harbaugh and the coaching staff, and Lamar.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, ChicksDigScars said:

In opposing stadiums, the booing will be merciless.

I have a feeling that nobody is going to care.  They might boo him for other reasons, but I doubt it will be over the vaccine issue.  

• Love 1

Re Love's first start - I thought it unfair that reporters were comparing his chance to play well to Rodgers' chance when he came in against Dallas when Favre got hurt.  Rodgers played well and the Packers were confident he could be a starter, thus trading Favre the next summer when he unretired.  But that was Rodgers' 3rd year, after 3 years of playing in the preseason plus some other mop-up duty.  Love has had 1 preseason and he played late in the Packers blowout loss in Week 1.  

I also thought the offensive line did Love no favors, nor did Matt Lafleur, who called the game like he had the experienced Rodgers at QB.  He made no adjustments to deal with the blitzing by the Chiefs. When he did make some changes late in the game, Love started moving the ball.  And don't get me started on Packers special teams - just awful.  

It did not surprise me that Terry Bradshaw went off on Rodgers, because he's never liked him.  He always seemed to hold him responsible for Favre being traded.  I remember in 2010 when the Packers made their run through the playoffs and won the Super Bowl, Bradshaw picked against them in every game and he never had anything good to say about Rodgers. 

• Love 4
4 hours ago, Calvada said:

It did not surprise me that Terry Bradshaw went off on Rodgers, because he's never liked him.  He always seemed to hold him responsible for Favre being traded.  I remember in 2010 when the Packers made their run through the playoffs and won the Super Bowl, Bradshaw picked against them in every game and he never had anything good to say about Rodgers. 

The cherry on the Bradshaw Hates Rodgers sundae was that his Super Bowl victory came at the expense of Terry's team. So, yeah. I'm sure he was more than happy to jump on this week.

Kareem Abdul Jabbar's comments were brutal. And not untrue. 

• Love 6
1 hour ago, ChicksDigScars said:

The cherry on the Bradshaw Hates Rodgers sundae was that his Super Bowl victory came at the expense of Terry's team. So, yeah. I'm sure he was more than happy to jump on this week.

from that article:  "Time will tell whether Rodgers will be judged by the content of his character or the strength of his throwing arm."  

Sad, but too true that it will probably be the latter.

• Love 11
3 hours ago, emma675 said:

I missed it, too, and woke up to a lot of angry social media posts that I can't really decipher. What happened?

I think the most egregious call was a Bears player called for taunting after what would have been a drive killing sack. He basically got up, did a celebratory jump kick, and then stared at the Steelers' bench.

• Love 5
46 minutes ago, Johann said:

from that article:  "Time will tell whether Rodgers will be judged by the content of his character or the strength of his throwing arm."  

Sad, but too true that it will probably be the latter.

The NFL was afraid of backlash for Colin Kapernik's actions which was simply trying to draw attention to a very important topic but the NFL doesn't seem to mind if people are up in arms over Aaron Rodgers lying and endangering others.

• Love 8

From KAJ’s piece:  “If he ever requires open-heart surgery will he hand the scalpel to romance writers because they know about matters of the heart?”

The best line I will read today.

• Love 22

Abdul-Jabbar's last paragraph:

I can’t help but think of Colin Kaepernick, who was blacklisted by the NFL for passively expressing his frustration with systemic racism—a brave act meant to help his community and save lives—while multi-millionaire Rodgers will continue to play, despite lying to the fans and his teammates and putting innocent lives in danger. Time will tell whether Rodgers will be judged by the content of his character or the strength of his throwing arm.

Incisive perfection.

Rodgers has been lying about who he is for years because he's a selfish coward.

• Love 15
3 hours ago, Fukui San said:

I think the most egregious call was a Bears player called for taunting after what would have been a drive killing sack.

Yeah, Marsh - and the Bears - got terribly hosed on that one.

The Bears mostly shot themselves in the foot with penalties (an 11-year veteran lines up offsides twice?!), so they certainly didn't need the refs piling on by inventing additional infractions (or not calling late hits).

5 hours ago, ChicksDigScars said:

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar has been doing such a great job taking anti-vax athletes to task, it's no surprise he did it again with Rodgers.  That was a terrific read.

• Love 16
8 hours ago, ChicksDigScars said:

That was great, especially the romance authors line.

But he didn't lie to his teammates.  So that part wasn't true.

Apparently someone got to him because the approach he took today on McAffee's show is the approach he should have taken last Friday.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, Crs97 said:

From KAJ’s piece:  “If he ever requires open-heart surgery will he hand the scalpel to romance writers because they know about matters of the heart?”

The best line I will read today.

I also heard that Howard Stern said that if Rodgers is injured during a game, they shouldn't send the team doctors out, they should send that podcaster that he consults.  (I can't remember his name).

• LOL 13
  • Love 1
14 minutes ago, Johann said:

I also heard that Howard Stern said that if Rodgers is injured during a game, they shouldn't send the team doctors out, they should send that podcaster that he consults.  (I can't remember his name).

Okay, that's the last straw; now that Aaron Rodgers has forced me to agree with Howard Stern, he is dead to me.

(Joe Rogan is the moron whose sage advice Rodgers cited.)

• LOL 13
  • Love 1

I can't express enough how disappointed I am in Rodgers and disgusted by his Friday interview.  But I don't think the fines are bullshit.   I think they're perfectly in line with discipline that the NFL has been handing out so far and the player fines are based on a negotiated contract between the NFLPA and the NFL. 

I think people were expecting more because the media was working themselves into a lather about the idea of suspensions but there was absolutely no precedent to suggest that's what it would lead to.

The $14,000 fine was in that contract which is why a player making less than a million dollars a year is getting the same fine as one who makes over 20 million. That was for out-of-stadium activity.

In the facility, I believe it's the team who is responsible for any violations which is why the organization is taking the heat for his press conferences and, apparently, not doing reporting the Halloween party.

The only team to lose a draft pick over COVID-related issues so far were the Saints after multiple fines/warnings throughout the year.  The Raiders lost one for multiple violations as well but they won their appeal and kept their pick.

As far as we know, this was Green Bay's first fine/warning. 

10 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

But he didn't lie to his teammates.  So that part wasn't true.

Speaking of his teammates, I heard a take from Trent Dilfer that I hadn't considered - all of this probably improved his standing in the locker room.  NFL players think the league is trying to control them, so even if they don't necessarily agree with his vax stance they'll respect Rodgers for sticking it to the man and doing his own thing.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

n the facility, I believe it's the team who is responsible for any violations which is why the organization is taking the heat for his press conferences and, apparently, not doing reporting the Halloween party.

Bullshit.   the League can fine them for in facility acts.   The Broncos QBs last year were IN THE FACILITY when they tampered with their devices so it looked like they were sitting in corners away from each other, but were actually sitting next to each other.   It's why the LEAGUE said the game ahd to go forward with a 4th string qb.    They fine players for IN FACILITY actions all the damn time.

Also, the fine on the team -- $300,000?   That's not controlled by the CBA between the NFL and the NFLPA.   The League literally has the authority to take any action it wants if it feels a particular act brought the NFL into disrepute.   Having a player deliberately misrepresent his status sure falls under that.    But they knew he had applied for an exemption and been denied.   So the NFL KNEW he wasn't vaxxed but didn't do anything.   Because like him or not, Rodgers is a star player.   You only bust them for something egregious like "more likely than not that he had general knowledge the balls were deflated."

They could have busted Rodgers for EVERY SINGLE violation of the protocols.  They chose to bust him for one.   They could have fined the team whatever they wanted.   They fined the team, basically loose change in the couch cushions money.   They want this story to go away because they know they are culpable as Rodgers and they don't want anyone digging.

ETA:   This tweet from Simms sums it up:

Nothing Lamb did endangered anyone but he got a higher fine than Rodgers.

Edited by merylinkid
  • Love 13

So I went from "loving" Aaron to "hating" him to "not giving a damn" about Rodgers.  In other words, meh.  It's a shame that this the way he is, but it is still his right.  Eventually, I hope, this will vanish.  Though it might resurface based on where Green Bay finishes in the standings and in the off season.

As mentioned, the way discipline is handled is totally random.  While everyone on the outside was saying how he could've endangered people, looks like it wasn't a surprise to those close to Rodgers, and everyone will be alright (even if they tested positive).  As far as the fines go, that's the way it's been forever (in terms of different amounts & lesser amounts for greater violations).

The thing that's BS, as mentioned, is the fact that Aaron got off rather easy, whereas Brady did not.  Furthermore, Tom actually went the legal route and won.  Yet he folded the following year when the NFL went to Plan B, with the consolation prize being yet another superbowl title.  I guess TB12's penalty was within the game and Aaron's was outside of it.  Though the latter basically did something that would get most of everyone else in a heap of trouble

2 hours ago, cambridgeguy said:

NFL players think the league is trying to control them, so even if they don't necessarily agree with his vax stance they'll respect Rodgers for sticking it to the man and doing his own thing.

All the while putting his teammates and coaches and whoever else Rodgers came in contact with at risk. Yeah that sure is sticking it to the man.  

1 hour ago, merylinkid said:

They want this story to go away because they know they are culpable as Rodgers and they don't want anyone digging.

NFL always wants any story that doesn't reflect well on them to go away.  Just look at Gruden and those emails.  People aren't talking about that anymore.  At what point does something so egregious happen that they can't sweep it under the rug?

• Love 8
3 hours ago, cambridgeguy said:

Speaking of his teammates, I heard a take from Trent Dilfer that I hadn't considered - all of this probably improved his standing in the locker room.  NFL players think the league is trying to control them, so even if they don't necessarily agree with his vax stance they'll respect Rodgers for sticking it to the man and doing his own thing.

Aaron Jones' father passed away from complications related to Covid so I'm not sure if this is a thing.

Eta, the only reason Rodgers and GB got fined is because there was no way around it due to him testing positive and the whole mess that happened afterwards.

Edited by galaxygirl76
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, merylinkid said:

The Broncos QBs last year were IN THE FACILITY when they tampered with their devices so it looked like they were sitting in corners away from each other, but were actually sitting next to each other.

The NFL didn't fine the players.  The Denver Broncos fined their players.  The NFL fined the team.

The fine for the Halloween party was part of a negotiation between the league and the players.

So I think it is BS that an untucked shirt is a $20K fine but the NFL can't go beyond what they did unless the catch him with multiple off site violations. 

3 hours ago, merylinkid said:

They could have fined the team whatever they wanted.   They fined the team, basically loose change in the couch cushions money. 

They could have but, as I pointed out, there's first time precedence.  It's less than what GB was fined. 

And it'll be curious whether other teams who have unvaccinated maskless pressers get a fine. 

19 hours ago, mojoween said:

I swear to Goodell that if Tampa signs OBJ I will come here and bitch about it, uselessly.

I don't think that wherever he goes, he'll be that big of a difference. (With the exception of the Chiefs, where what he currently brings to the field might actually be useful.)

To me, his personality issue that got him traded the first time and released the second time is that he uses the word "I" way too much when he's talking about the team's success. He's just not wired correctly to be a team player. He definitely cares a great deal about winning, but he's terrible with understanding that he has to row in the same direction and at the same pace as everybody else.

To give a visual to what I mean, imagine that OBJ was on this team below. He would be rowing faster/harder and not on the same pace as everybody else. When the race was over, he would simply state that he just wants to win.

University Of Portland Ncaa GIF by Portland Pilots

He would have been much better off playing an individual sport like Tennis.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, ifionlyknew said:

All the while putting his teammates and coaches and whoever else Rodgers came in contact with at risk. Yeah that sure is sticking it to the man.  

As I've said before, let's add last week's loss too. That's sticking to the man too? 

2020 NFL Covid Fines:

Patriots: $350,000

Saints: $500,000 and loss of 7th round draft pick

Raiders $250,000

Ravens $250,000

Titans $350,000

Not sure why the Packers aren't even being fined on the upper level of the established punishment scale for Rodger's infractions.

https://www.nfl.com/news/saints-fined-500k-draft-pick-patriots-fined-350k-covid-19-protocol-violations

https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-fines-baltimore-ravens-250-000-for-covid-19-violations

• Useful 3
On 11/9/2021 at 11:48 AM, Harry24 said:

Jabbar is a national treasure.

As I said a while ago in reference to KAJ (and Walton, et al), you can say all you want about John Gooden being a bit hypocritical about one Sam Gilbert, but you can tell all his guys went to class.

• Love 4
20 minutes ago, emmawoodhouse said:

An unnamed Vikings player, who was vaccinated, is now hospitalized with Covid.

Wishing him well.  No thanks to his unvaccinated teammates (cough--Kirk--cough--Cousins) who probably gave it to him.  At least the player has a better chance at a good outcome because he's vaccinated.

• Love 10

The answer may be because it was collectively bargained, but he aint wrong. 

Dallas Cowboys' CeeDee Lamb says he's confused by NFL's 'weird' fines

Dallas Cowboys wide receiver CeeDee Lamb has been fined nearly $50,000 this season for uniform violations and a wave after his walk-off winning touchdown against the New England Patriots, while Green Bay Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers was fined only $14,650 for violating the NFL's COVID-19 protocols.

• Love 2
12 hours ago, emmawoodhouse said:

An unnamed Vikings player, who was vaccinated, is now hospitalized with Covid. ☹️

I don't know for sure but it may be Garrett Bradbury, the Center, because he was infected with it recently. I'll have to check the injury list.

• Useful 2