Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

Allegedly OBJ will make his decision tomorrow and the likely options are Kansas City, Green Bay, Seattle and, out of nowhere, New England.  (New England would have sent me into apoplectic fits two years ago; now, not so much).

So this means he is totally signing with Tampa and we will get story number 19,667 about how Saint Tommy rehabilitated another troubled wide receiver.

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
20 hours ago, Fukui San said:

2020 NFL Covid Fines:

Patriots: $350,000

Saints: $500,000 and loss of 7th round draft pick

Raiders $250,000

Ravens $250,000

Titans $350,000

Not sure why the Packers aren't even being fined on the upper level of the established punishment scale for Rodger's infractions.

https://www.nfl.com/news/saints-fined-500k-draft-pick-patriots-fined-350k-covid-19-protocol-violations

https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-fines-baltimore-ravens-250-000-for-covid-19-violations

2020 was an entirely different landscape for the NFL. There were zero vaccinated players, and a widespread outbreak on a team could have resulted in games not being played. They were absolutely determined to make everybody follow every possible rule to keep the season whole.

This year, they've got most of the players and all of the supporting staff immunized (heh) and it's very unlikely that somebody not following every rule would result in a game being lost or even postponed. So the punishments are not needed to be as severe.

Plus, it does appear that the only violations Rogers made were not wearing the mask at press conferences and at that team Halloween party. And given that the league OBVIOUSLY knew that Rogers doing press conferences without a mask was against it's own policy, and did nothing to stop him in real time from doing so, it would seem to be a little (a lot) hypocritical of them to suddenly hand out a huge fine.

22 hours ago, Fukui San said:

2020 NFL Covid Fines:

Patriots: $350,000

Saints: $500,000 and loss of 7th round draft pick

Raiders $250,000

Ravens $250,000

Titans $350,000

Not sure why the Packers aren't even being fined on the upper level of the established punishment scale for Rodger's infractions.

It's because you're comparing first time fines (which is what the Packers received) with fines/punishments received by teams who had been fined before.

Punishment is progressive. And the Saints 500K and draft pick loss was after being warned/fined before.

12 hours ago, xaxat said:

The answer may be because it was collectively bargained, but he aint wrong. 

COVID violations were. I don't know about uniform violations.  But uniform fines are stupid. 

• Love 1
1 minute ago, Carey said:

Well, it looks like Cam will not go through his career without losing to Brady

I just saw that story that Cam is meeting with the Panthers today about signing with them.  I guess Darnold’s shoulder blade is fractured, and he’s out for 4-6 weeks.

Well, it’s hilarious that it’s happening, but I guess Cam probably can’t be worse than Darnold, so why not?  I’ve missed Cam’s post-game fashion so that would be a highlight in any event.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
11 minutes ago, mojoween said:

I have no allegiance to the Panthers whatsoever, but I am rooting the hardest I ever have for anything for Cam v2.0 to be successful in Carolina. 

It's a good move by the Panthers.  The team has gone in the crapper the last month, Sam darnold is awful, it wasn't just the jets, and they have to do something or this season will continue to implode. 

• Love 3

As a Panthers and a Cam fan I am thrilled with this news! 

I was fine moving on from him but the Panthers did nothing good to replace him. They should have drafted a QB instead of relying on two broken QB’s (Bridgewater and Darnold). Cam has worked with a lot of this O line before. Now is his chance to go out a Panther and hopefully redeem himself from the disaster that was SB 50. I’m rooting for him! 

• Love 3

Meh.  Though it's fair enough.  Rams are trying to win this season, period.  I figured he'd go to a team that's led by someone that will not take any nonsense (i.e. Patriots, Saints, Chiefs).  Though I may be underestimating McVay as he can be no nonsense as well.  Plus, Aaron Donald isn't going to be having someone wreck the chemistry there

10 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Nailed it!  He’s picking the Rams.

I loved watching him on the field when he played for the Giants, but his antics made him difficult to root for.  That's only gotten worse over the years, plus his on-field production has waned, so I'm not not sure how I feel about having him back on one of my teams.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Carey said:

Meh.  Though it's fair enough.  Rams are trying to win this season, period.  I figured he'd go to a team that's led by someone that will not take any nonsense (i.e. Patriots, Saints, Chiefs).  Though I may be underestimating McVay as he can be no nonsense as well.  Plus, Aaron Donald isn't going to be having someone wreck the chemistry there

Like I need more reasons to root against Sean McVay & those sorry scummy Rams. I don't want to have to deal with OBJ's "redemption" story during Super Bowl week. Its bad enough that ESPN was feeling sorry for OBJ & is rooting for him,

OBJ is certainly not going to help them win a Super Bowl, much less get them there. I want to see OBJ's reaction when those Rams are winning the football game, yet he doesn't get a lot of catches or balls thrown at him. I also want to see if OBJ can produce when it really counts in the Playoffs. BTW, Matthew Stafford hasn't won a playoff game. 

• Love 1
8 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

It's because you're comparing first time fines (which is what the Packers received) with fines/punishments received by teams who had been fined before.

Punishment is progressive. And the Saints 500K and draft pick loss was after being warned/fined before.

Great, well Rodgers went to press conferences unmasked 9 times and to the Halloween party. So, first one's free. $100,000 K fine for each other press conference and add the Halloween party and that brings us to $900,000K fine and throw in a 7th round draft pick for good measure. Don't like it, see you in court like they did to Brady.

• Love 6
48 minutes ago, Fukui San said:

Great, well Rodgers went to press conferences unmasked 9 times and to the Halloween party.

The NFL doesn't care about those press conferences.  If they did, Green Bay would have been fined over them before because the NFL can't pretend they weren't aware that one of their highest profile QBs was doing this. And Green Bay wouldn't have been the only team getting fined.  Maskless pressers have been happening on other teams with high profile unvaccinated players as well. I haven't heard a peep about the Vikings getting fined.

It's pretty clear the NFL has implicitly given their okay to these. Or at least they did until this past week. The only reason fines are even being discussed is because Rodgers lied to the press (even though the NFL and his team knew), then got COVID, got exposed, and then doubled down on McAfee with some conspiracy talk thrown in.

And that's why it doesn't matter how many times he did those press conferences.  Green Bay was never warned about them before.  No one was. So this current fine is still the first COVID-related fine they've gotten and that is why it's on the lower end instead of the higher end.

• Useful 1

Dakota Dozier is the Viking who is in the hospital with Covid and pneumonia. Garrett Bradbury has it and he was vaccinated. So does Harrison Smith and he's not. There are two other Vikings who have Covid.

5 hours ago, mojoween said:

Holy shit, Baltimore.  What up?

Maybe Miami has finally given the rest of the NFL the key to limiting Lamar.

Stefanski, I hope you paid attention!  We have to play them one week, bye, then the next week.  Weird schedules set up.

2 hours ago, roamyn said:

Maybe Miami has finally given the rest of the NFL the key to limiting Lamar.

Stefanski, I hope you paid attention!  We have to play them one week, bye, then the next week.  Weird schedules set up.

What's different between Miami and most of the rest of the league is that the Dolphins have the people to play that kind of defense and limit Lamar.  Cleveland might.  I don't know if it's at Miami's level (really the Dolphins 2020 level), but I imagine that Harbaugh, Jackson, and company will adjust

10 hours ago, mojoween said:

Holy shit, Baltimore.  What up?

The offensive line is terrible, made up mostly of backups, and the running backs aren't good enough to take any pressure off Lamar. Plus, the defense seems to love giving up big plays this season.

Without Lamar at QB, this team would be 2-7 at best.

• Love 2
18 minutes ago, woodstock said:

Gruden suing NFL

It is wild that only Gruden’s emails were made public out of the 65,000 that were part of the investigation.

Cool. Gruden is a jackass who deserved to be fired, but I think there are likely to be a lot more people in the NFL who have said things just as bad or worse. Those emails need to be released.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, Danny Franks said:

The offensive line is terrible, made up mostly of backups, and the running backs aren't good enough to take any pressure off Lamar. Plus, the defense seems to love giving up big plays this season.

Agree.  Jackson had no time to throw and as the only threat to run, it would be easy for other teams to key on that. 

The defense did pretty good at the goal line, but gave up too many big plays to get them there.

Like you said, with all the injuries, I'm surprised their record is as good as it it.  I had such big hopes preseason/pre-injuries, and am grateful they are actually still in the playoff picture.  They have a lot of tough games coming up, though.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Danny Franks said:

They managed to weather a ton of injuries, mostly because of Lamar, but it feels like the injuries to the OL could finally cause a problem. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, woodstock said:

Gruden suing NFL

It is wild that only Gruden’s emails were made public out of the 65,000 that were part of the investigation.

The whole investigation and release of the emails is shady as f*** from start to finish.  Gruden is just the tip of the iceberg. 

But sadly it's typical of the Goodell leadership of the NFL.  

• Love 7
8 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

The whole investigation and release of the emails is shady as f*** from start to finish.  Gruden is just the tip of the iceberg. 

I agree.  I think there is a lot more going on here than what we're privy too.  

• Love 4

I hope Gruden’s lawsuit opens the can the NFL so desperately wants to keep sealed, but the fact they only leaked his emails does not negate the fact that he wrote those emails.  Let’s not get too distracted by his seeking victim status and remember he’s not an innocent one.

• Love 20
1 hour ago, Crs97 said:

I hope Gruden’s lawsuit opens the can the NFL so desperately wants to keep sealed, but the fact they only leaked his emails does not negate the fact that he wrote those emails.  Let’s not get too distracted by his seeking victim status and remember he’s not an innocent one.

That's true, but it's concerning that those were private emails.  I don't agree with what he said, but he has a right to say it.  Of course it's not okay to email a specific person and say racist/hateful/sexist things to them, but if it was in a casual conversation with another person, then no matter how terrible it was, he still had a right to say it.    

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Crs97 said:

THIS.    Of course the emails were leaked from the lawsuit Snyder has against bruce Allen but the only reason SNYDER had them was probably the investigation.   

I would be dollars to donuts that Marc Davis specifically released Gruden without a severance so Gruden could sue.   Davis likes Gruden for some reason.   He was really hurt to find out what was in those emails -- and pissed to have to fire his coach.   I can see him making the NFL pay for it.

26 minutes ago, ChitChat said:

That's true, but it's concerning that those were private emails.  I don't agree with what he said, but he has a right to say it.  Of course it's not okay to email a specific person and say racist/hateful/sexist things to them, but if it was in a casual conversation with another person, then no matter how terrible it was, he still had a right to say it.    

Unless they were sent from a work account.   We haven't seen the actual emails.   but he was working for ESPN at the time so they could have gone from his ESPN account.   Bruce Allen was most likely emailing from his WTF team account.   And once they are used in an investigation/court case they are pretty much out there.   That's why the saying goes "Never put anything in an email you don't want read in court someday."  

• Love 9
1 hour ago, ChitChat said:

He has a right to say it, but the league also has a right to decide he should no longer be allowed in a leadership position over people he disdains so pointedly.  Again, it’s the old rule that free speech doesn’t mean free from consequences.  If you don’t want to be outed as racist and homophobic, then don’t be one.  Jon can be pissed that someone leaked his private discussions, but it doesn’t change the fact that he is gross.

• Love 22
34 minutes ago, Crs97 said:

He has a right to say it, but the league also has a right to decide he should no longer be allowed in a leadership position over people he disdains so pointedly.  Again, it’s the old rule that free speech doesn’t mean free from consequences.  If you don’t want to be outed as racist and homophobic, then don’t be one.  Jon can be pissed that someone leaked his private discussions, but it doesn’t change the fact that he is gross.

This.  Yes he can say racist things but it does not reflect well on him, his team, or the NFL.  And I'm sure his players weren't too happy to know he used that type of racist language so easily.

• Love 8
3 hours ago, merylinkid said:

That's why the saying goes "Never put anything in an email you don't want read in court someday."  

The president of my company has often said/advised that you should never do or say anything in the privacy of your own home that would get you fired or killed in public if it were done or said in public.

Yes you have a right to say whatever, and while people should get thicker skin, it doesn't make it right.  Plus, a company, business, or corporation has the right to determine one's fate in their organization (especially if there's reason to do so).

Despite enjoying Jon Gruden's tenure on ESPN, it's great that he's out of the league.  I don't know or think he'll win, but IMO, it'll be a moral one if he can bring everyone down with him.  I don't know or think most of the higher ups were as bad as Jon was, but if it's enough to get them out of the NFL, then it would be fair enough if they met their demise.

I've often said that the NFL was scripted, but really it's more coincidental.  OBJ turned out to be a necessity, but he also has his injury problems.  Nonetheless, I no longer thing the Rams are in a Superbowl or bust mode as I don't think they'll be the ultimate favorites.  Really, the AFC could be deep enough that the AFC winner could crush the NFC winner on February 13

• Love 2
4 hours ago, ChitChat said:

As others have pointed out, freedom of speech isn't freedom from consequences. It just means he can't be put in jail for what he said.  And he hasn't been.  He just gets to bank the millions of dollars he has already made. 

The thing is, it sounds like he sent these to Bruce Allen's work email.  An employer has the right to those emails.  If he wanted privacy, he would have sent them to Bruce Allen's gmail account (assuming BA didn't mix work with his personal account). 

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Crs97 said:

Jon can be pissed that someone leaked his private discussions, but it doesn’t change the fact that he is gross.

I agree.  FWIW, I wasn't defending him.  I'm sure this whole things goes a lot deeper than what we know, and that's the part that I'm curious about.   I want to know the whole story, not just this part of it. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, ChitChat said:

I agree.  FWIW, I wasn't defending him.  I'm sure this whole things goes a lot deeper than what we know, and that's the part that I'm curious about.   I want to know the whole story, not just this part of it. 

They meaning the NFL sacrificed him so damn quickly there has to be even worse things they don't want found out. 

• Love 4
37 minutes ago, ifionlyknew said:

They meaning the NFL sacrificed him so damn quickly there has to be even worse things they don't want found out. 

I actually think just the opposite.  I'm not sure it was the league who leaked the emails.  I think their preference was for the whole investigation they performed to be swept under the rug and forgotten, and it pretty much was.  The leaked emails just brought up the whole story again. 

The NFL and Goodell handled the whole investigation in a shady and secretive manner.  But I don't think they were the source of the leaked emails. 

• Love 1

My newspaper today has an insert all about Thanksgiving and in their history timeline is this -

“Nov. 29, 1934: The NBC Radio Network broadcasts for the first time a Thanksgiving Day NFL game on 94 stations across the country.  The Detroit Lions meet the Chicago Bears at the University of Detroit stadium.  The Bears beat the Lions, 19-16.”

And that’s why the Lions are always going to be on Thanksgiving.  Also, poor Lions.

Edited by mojoween
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

The Lions were willing to play on Thanksgiving Day when no one else was.   Other teams don't get to take it away from them now that it is popular and profitable.  

But I swear by all that is holy if Roethlisberger causes the Lions to ruin their perfect season I am going to be PISSED.

• LOL 7
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, merylinkid said:

But I swear by all that is holy if Roethlisberger causes the Lions to ruin their perfect season I am going to be PISSED.

The Lions have already had a perfect season.  Although 0-17 would be a new record.  Don't get greedy.

• LOL 5

Over the last week, the most important player from three teams that I cheer for has entered Covid protocol. Roethlisberger, Joel Embid (Sixers) and Sydney Crosby (Penguins).

All three were vaccinated.

• Love 1