Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

Louis Riddick really sounded like he was trying to talk himself into praising McDermott for going for it on fourth down rather than kicking the field goal to tie.  Lou was saying all the right things, but it sure didn’t sound like he meant it.

6 hours ago, meowmommy said:

Same here.  The main reason I wanted them to lose.  But I couldn’t help feeling bad for the kid who lost the 101-yd KO return. 

I might have flipped off the tv when Cole beasley scored a touchdown.   But I still had picked the Bills to win.   

So a bit of a brag.   You all KNOW I suck at picking games.   Yeah, that pick 'em thing I won a few weeks ago?   As of week 6, I've won 3 weeks -- and I took a week off while on vacation.   Apparently picking against lawyers and other legal professionals is the secret.    They are even worse than I am.

Although I think my secret to winning week 6 was I picked the Jags.   

As for Watson to the Dolphins, maybe Tua isn't the answer but then the question becomes "what do you do with HIM?"    Along with the question of "okay we traded for Watson, what if the League  puts him on the Commissioner's Exempt List while the TWENTY-TWO civil cases and the possible criminal case sort themselves out?"   He's not the Exempt List right now because there is probably a wink nod agreement that the Texans won't play him anyway so the NFL doesn't have to.   

• Love 4
8 hours ago, Crs97 said:

Random tweet wins the internet tonight:

“There are two fouls on the play.  As per NFL rules we will only enforce the Cleveland one.”

Seriously it was like "Oh wait, we've had all this close games in primetime all season, this CANNOT be a low scoring game with most of the points scored in the first 5 minutes of the game.   Quick refs, do something to help the Broncos."   

There were some VERY questionable spots of the ball in the 4th quarter that really favored Denver.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, merylinkid said:

Seriously it was like "Oh wait, we've had all this close games in primetime all season, this CANNOT be a low scoring game with most of the points scored in the first 5 minutes of the game.   Quick refs, do something to help the Broncos."   

There were some VERY questionable spots of the ball in the 4th quarter that really favored Denver.

Not to mention the refs being blind to Myles Garrett being held in a horse collar by one of the offensive linemen.  It's the same shit week after week even with (what seems like) half of the Browns starters on IR.  

• Love 1

My favorite still was the Chargers game when Cleveland got tagged for defensive pass interference after the offensive player grabbed Green’s shirt in a takedown.  Yet the refs keep trying to top it.

there’s not a doubt in my mind that at the end of the season if ESPN did a list of the top 10 worst calls, half would be against Cleveland only because the NFL stepped in and made ESPN mix it up.

• Love 2
6 minutes ago, Kip Hackman said:

Sam Darnold is who we thought he was. 

Christian McCaffrey goes down and suddenly it’s New York Jets quarterback Sam Darnold.

And I am a-ok with that, if it means the Giants get the win, even if their red zone offense is … lacking.

• Love 1

Jesus Christmas if it’s not the damn Cowboys every week in the national game it’s the damn Bucs.  Fuck them both.

I am confused why Miami played today, I thought teams that played in London automatically got the bye the next week? Can you opt out of that?

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Jesus Christmas if it’s not the damn Cowboys every week in the national game it’s the damn Bucs.  Fuck them both.

And it should have been on Fox, being as it's an NFC game.  But no, your favorite announcing team has it.

The more I listen to Jim and Tony, the more I appreciate Joe and Troy.  Sad, but true.

Daniel Jones was channeling his inner OBJ with that catch.  It's lovely, if only for a day, not to be rooting for the worst team in the league.  Ok, maybe more than a few days.  They said after the Lions TD that it was the first time this season the offense was taking the field with a lead.

I live in AZ so of course they're all excited about the Cards.  I'll get excited for them when they rack up four SB wins like the G-men have.

• Love 3
45 minutes ago, mojoween said:

When does CBS invoke the mercy rule on their broadcast?

I don't think it exist. 

Frankly, I couldn't be even less excited about watching Tom Brady reaching 600 Touchdown passes. And this game right now (35-3 Bucs) is downright nap-inducing.

Indeed. It get even better because next week, the damn Bucs is going to be the national game of the week again. This time, they're going to play against the Saints.

And the Cowboys will be playing the Vikings next Sunday Night. Its going to be double the pleasure, double the torture.

Edited by Magog
50 minutes ago, mojoween said:

When does CBS invoke the mercy rule on their broadcast?

Unfortunately for you, the only competitive game at the moment is Lions/Rams.  But it's on Fox so CBS won't be switching to it.

Lions just executed another fake punt.  And they did an onside kick in the first quarter.  They are playing like a team with nothing to lose.  It's fun to watch.

39 minutes ago, Magog said:

Indeed. It get even better because next week, the damn Bucs is going to be the national game of the week again. This time, they're going to play against the Saints.

And the Cowboys will be playing the Vikings next Sunday Night. Its going to be double the pleasure, double the torture.

I feel attacked.

• LOL 6

The ref - “Number 98 has been disqualified.”

Romo -  “I bet he’s going to be thrown out of the game, Gene.”

Nantz - “They did just say he’s been disqualified dumbass, do you even LISTEN you jackass.”

Part of that may have been implied.

• LOL 10

Can someone beat the Bucs? I’m sick of their stupid asses in every single marquee game of the week matchup beating the shit out of their opponents, and botoxed Tom sitting there grinning. Ass.

• Love 11
20 minutes ago, twoods said:

Can someone beat the Bucs? I’m sick of their stupid asses in every single marquee game of the week matchup beating the shit out of their opponents, and botoxed Tom sitting there grinning. Ass.

Well, the Rams handled them. But it's going to take a team of that quality to prevent Mr. Brady from winning his eighth SB.

2 hours ago, Magog said:

I don't think it exist. 

Frankly, I couldn't be even less excited about watching Tom Brady reaching 600 Touchdown passes. And this game right now (35-3 Bucs) is downright nap-inducing.

I have a child so I'll be otherwise engaged for most of the afternoon/night. Which is a good thing because both those games are ugh.

2 hours ago, Magog said:

It get even better because next week, the damn Bucs is going to be the national game of the week again. This time, they're going to play against the Saints.

We're enjoying it because we don't have to pay for NFL Sunday Ticket in order to finally see our Bucs play!  We haven't subscribed to it in years because of the cost, and because the Bucs sucked, but now we get to see our team play on local stations, so yay for us!!  For us longsuffering Bucs fans, it's nice to enjoy the games again.  We have to revel in it while we can.  

It will be a tough game against the Saints.  It usually is.  It's a big rivalry game, and Jameis has something to prove.  

And kudos to Tom for going over to the stands to give that boy (who is a cancer survivor) his hat.  Nice job.  

On a lighter note, Mike Evans had no idea that he gave a fan the 600th TD pass football.  The look on his face when he found out was funny.  Hopefully the guy who gave it back was nicely rewarded.   And Mike gets a little piece of history for himself, being the receiver of said 600th pass.  

The Packers wore throwback unis (early 50s) with green pants and green jerseys, both trimmed with gold.  They were ok but I didn't care for the plain yellow/gold helmets.  I miss the G logo.  They will wear these 1 game per season for the next 5 seasons.  

As ChitChat said, Mike Evans tossed Brady's 600 TD ball to a fan in the stands, but the Bucs got it back from the fan, giving them another ball.  I think I might have asked for a little more than just a replacement football.  The team should have had someone assigned to get that ball.  I think it was when Donald Driver set the Packer reception record that an equipment guy was following the play down the sideline to make sure the football from the record-setting reception went to the Packers' bench.  I have some vague memory of the guy taking the ball from an official, whose momentary reaction was WTF until he realized it was a record-setter.  When Favre moved past Marino on the TD list, I believe they had an equipment guy at the back of the end zone.  

41 minutes ago, Calvada said:

As ChitChat said, Mike Evans tossed Brady's 600 TD ball to a fan in the stands, but the Bucs got it back from the fan, giving them another ball.

The announcers said that there was about a 2 minute negotiation with the fan before he gave the ball back.  Hopefully he at least got some signed merchandise and  tickets to every home game for years to come, and maybe a meet and greet with Tom.  If I was in that situation, I'd give the ball back.  It was the right thing to do.   I wouldn't expect to be rewarded for doing the right/decent thing, but I wouldn't complain if I got a signed jersey out of it!! 

Anybody remember the episode of Everybody Loves Raymond where Frank wanted to keep the football he caught?  The young man wanted the football back, but Frank was stubborn.  People started turning against him and Ray (as the sports writer), and he eventually gave it back.  Had the Buc's fan not done the decent thing, it might've gone that way for him!  

• Love 1

It’s absolutely miserable out here in the Bay Area. 

Edit: As a newish transplant to the Bay Area, I cant overstate how little in the way of challenging weather the residents face. 90% of days are pleasant and sunny in the 60-85 degree range, at least where the Niners play. 

Edited by Fukui San
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, ChitChat said:

On a lighter note, Mike Evans had no idea that he gave a fan the 600th TD pass football.  The look on his face when he found out was funny.  Hopefully the guy who gave it back was nicely rewarded.   And Mike gets a little piece of history for himself, being the receiver of said 600th pass.  

The fan who got that ball is the son of a good friend of mine, so I'm following the Compensation Story closely. Evans was handing out TD balls today like they were candy. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 1

A Bengals Cardinals superbowl is very possible this year. 

What on earth is going in with the chiefs?  They were outplayed badly start to finish today.  Offense and defense.  

This Santa Clara 49ers colts game is nuts....rain is pouring down. 

Panthers just need to bite the bullet and make the trade for deshaun Watson.  It wasnt just the jets .....darnold is bad. The team has collapsed the a short time. 

6 hours ago, twoods said:

Yeah they are saying the ball is worth 500k so he should have at least gotten a signed jersey and a meet and greet out of it. Maybe the Bucs will feel bad and give him some more stuff.

Right....the NFL is known for doing that. 

🙄

• LOL 6

Or the fan is perfectly happy with the deal.   He is quoted in one article as saying he knew what it meant to Brady.    

Brady doesn't keep a lot of stuff, but the ball was brought to the press conference with him in a bag.    I guess after his jersey was stolen after the Super Bowl, he is a lot more careful about his memorabilia.    Remember when that happened?   It was discovered the guy was just going to the games with fake media credentials to steal stuff from all kinds of players.   

13 hours ago, AimingforYoko said:

Well, the Rams handled them. But it's going to take a team of that quality to prevent Mr. Brady from winning his eighth SB.

I think Cardinals.could. or have they already played the Bucs? I think Cardinals are the best team Vikings have played this year, well, maybe 2nd after the Browns.

4 hours ago, Lamb18 said:

I think Cardinals.could. or have they already played the Bucs? I think Cardinals are the best team Vikings have played this year, well, maybe 2nd after the Browns.

The Cardinals aren't playing the Bucs (at least not during the regular season), and the Browns are not a better team than the Cardinals since, you know, the Cardinals spanked the Browns 37-14 just last weekend.

6 hours ago, merylinkid said:

Or the fan is perfectly happy with the deal.   He is quoted in one article as saying he knew what it meant to Brady.    

That's good to know.  The whole thing could've been avoided though if someone within the Bucs organization who keeps up with the stats would've advised the team before the game that Tom could break that record during the game, so don't give away any footballs until it is determined that the record was broken!!  

• Love 2
19 hours ago, Calvada said:

As ChitChat said, Mike Evans tossed Brady's 600 TD ball to a fan in the stands, but the Bucs got it back from the fan, giving them another ball.  I think I might have asked for a little more than just a replacement football. 

I'd have deflated it. 

And then taken it home with me to sell to the highest bidder who wasn't Tom Brady.  Brady would not be getting that ball back.

• LOL 9
  • Love 4
15 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Right....the NFL is known for doing that. 

🙄

In this case, they did. He got two signed Brady jerseys, one Evans jersey and his game cleats, season tickets for this season AND next season, and the 1000 gift card. Pretty decent compensation, especially the season tickets.

• Useful 6
  • Love 5

But wait there's more:

Tom Brady gave him a bitcoin.  

Of course the legal part of me went:   Wait does this guy have to pay taxes now on all these goodies?   Which would be one reason to give the ball back and NOT sell it to the highest bidder.

Of course, by giving the ball back without asking for anything the guy is being interviewed all over the place.   Much better than if he had kept it.   Of course he said one thing he would like is to play golf with Brady.    So far all he has gotten is stuff, not what he wanted.

As for the game last night?   There was one?   Yeah pretty much.   Jamesis Winston v. Geno Smith was about what you would expect.   When they tied it up late in the 3rd I begged the football gods to not let this be a nail biter and please let it be over with.

Edited by merylinkid