Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, merylinkid said:

You know it might not be that he has nothing to do with his family.   It might be that his family has nothing to do with him.

I was looking up some articles about his estrangement from his family, and they're all kind of mum on the subject, but when asked, his Dad had this to say: 

"Aaron’s father Ed Rodgers hinted to The New York Times in January 2017 that Aaron’s fame was the cause. When speaking of the distance with his son, Ed said: “Fame can change things.” 

I'm not sure if he's said anything more current than that, but I don't think they've been very vocal about it. 

• Useful 1
59 minutes ago, DoctorAtomic said:

I'm going to be really interested if Rodgers costs the Pack a 1 or 2 seed because of this. 

I would be surprised.  There seems to be some confusion in general about the Rodgers situation.  The fault of that is squarely on the shoulder of Rodgers, The Packers and the NFL because they all helped him maintain the implication that he was vaccinated.  

However, he had a homeopathic treatment that he tried to get the NFL to approve as inoculation against COVID.  The NFL denied him.  The public was in the dark but the team and the NFL all knew he wasn't vaccinated.

Apparently he was following protocols inside the building.

But what GB and the NFL are going to have to answer for is why he wasn't wearing a mask or doing his interviews via Zoom?  It's not like he's a random player.  He's one of the biggest players in the league.  They all knew he was doing this.  

He did go to a Halloween Party with other players which he's not supposed to do.  That fine will be on him, though.  

"Aaron’s father Ed Rodgers hinted to The New York Times in January 2017 that Aaron’s fame was the cause. When speaking of the distance with his son, Ed said: “Fame can change things.”

It can.  For both the famous person and the family.  Does Jordan Rodgers get cast on The Bachelorette if he's not Aaron's brother? Or get invited to do sports commentary?

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Love 1

Rodgers is an idiot, first for not getting vaccinated and second for obfuscating about his status.  I say this as a lifelong Packers fan - I look forward to saying goodbye after the season.  Just like Favre, he's become a prima donna.  

One of the sports reporters in GB tweeted an apology for not asking Rodgers to clarify what he meant by immunized when Rodgers said that in August.  But he did ask a follow up question which clearly indicated he believed Rodgers had just confirmed he was vaccinated, and Rodgers didn't set the record straight.  What a tool.  

According to local news story (so not sure if it accurate), Rodgers does not have to wear a mask on the field when he is active, only in venues where a local rule mandates masks outdoors.  I don't know if there was such a local rule for any of their away games.  But according to that, he should have been wearing one during the entire preseason since he was never active.  That same article also said per NFL rules, a player who is not vaccinated does not have to wear a mask while practicing outdoors or in a large bubble facility like the Don Hutson Center.  Players who aren't vaccinated must wear a mask for indoor walk-throughs, which may have happened while on the road.  The same article points out that although Rodgers has not worn a mask during press conferences, neither has Kirk Cousins with the Vikings, and Cousins has been clear that he is not vaccinated.  The article had a link to a presser with Cousins where he comes in with a mask in his hand, sets it down in front of him, and answers questions without a mask.  Is there a rule about being a certain distance from the reporters?   Not sure if the NFL requires reporters to wear masks.  

The NFL is "reviewing" the matter with the Packers.  What a joke.  If there is any discipline, will we ever know?  There will probably be a report issued about the time Rodgers goes into the HOF.  

Probably a big sigh of relief today at NBC Sports.  I read a story that the 2 most highly anticipated games this year were Brady's return to New England and Mahomes v. Rodgers.  NBC opted for the Brady game and FOX made Packers at Chiefs their top pick.  

I do have to say that I don't care about his issues with his family or his family's issues with him.  Nor do I care who he dates.  None of my business.  I really don't know about any other player's personal life to any great extent, unless there's some big issue, such as when Mason Crosby's wife was diagnosed with cancer.  

• Useful 1
2 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

I would be surprised.  There seems to be some confusion in general about the Rodgers situation. 

My point that the NFL is the 'ultimate team game' and if Rodgers smugness is going to result in costing wins, he's going to be raked over, justifiably. Clearly, the organization didn't care. Until he possibly costs them money. I'm condemning the league in general. It's another reason why I only pay peripheral attention to the sport anymore. All I know is they're in the running for home field. 

He's obviously a fit guy, but what if it whallops him and he's out a month? Or comes back and just is flat the next game? That's what it boils down to from my pov. So even if no one in the division catches them, there's still a cost on the line. The whole issue should really give the league a deserved black eye. 

Edited by DoctorAtomic
  • Love 6
3 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

Does Jordan Rodgers get cast on The Bachelorette if he's not Aaron's brother? Or get invited to do sports commentary?

Just a quick comment about Jordan.  I see him quite a bit within the college broadcasting world, and he seems like a nice guy.  Going from his bio, it appears that he's done quite well on his own.  I'm not so sure that one can attribute his success solely to Aaron, although it probably didn't hurt either. 

5 minutes ago, ChitChat said:

I'm not so sure that one can attribute his success solely to Aaron, although it probably didn't hurt either. 

I didn't say his whole success was due to Aaron. Over half the battle is getting an opportunity. 

• Love 4

What I have been told about his time on The Bachelorette by people who watched it, Jordan spent a lot of time talking about his brother on the show and the family brought him up during the hometown episode.  You don’t do that unless your brother is one of the reasons you made it onto the show IMO.  I am someone who always tried to give Aaron the benefit of the doubt, but no more.  Jerk.

• Love 4
8 hours ago, Rootbeer said:

And, from what I read, the young woman who was killed was trapped in her car which caught fire. I pray to God that she was either already dead or unconscious.  Her poor family. Her dog was also killed in the crash.

I just saw a comment on Reddit that one or more witnesses have said in locally reported news stories that she was conscious while trapped in the vehicle, which is absolutely horrifying.  If true, I hope this piece of crap Ruggs gets the absolute maximum.  Driving 156 mph, not even on a highway, I’m surprised he didn’t kill or injure even more people.

I also saw in one of the stories linked in this thread that he has performed an on-field gesture after big plays for years, in tribute to a close friend killed in a car accident.  And then he puts himself in a position to deliberately inflict that pain on someone else.  This story just gets worse and worse.

• Love 1

Rodgers has had plenty of practice deliberately lying about himself over the years, so his intentional prevarication about his vaccination status is just more of the cowardly same.

Henry Ruggs, I hope your drunken joy ride was worth it because, if there is even a tiny bit of justice, you will be going to jail for at least most of the rest of your life.

• Love 4

This Ruggs character isn't going to be executed, I don't think.  Maybe I'll be proven wrong and Nevada opts to kill him for his crimes.  I don't celebrate anyone's death, good or evil.  In this instance, if that's the best justice for him, then I'd be okay with it.  I wouldn't lose sleep over it because what this young man did was inexcusable on all levels.

Based on the laws, the death penalty will not be on the table, nor will life in prison.  Though based on the nature of everything, it is possible he doesn't get out of prison alive.  Despite the intent to drink coupled with the intent to drive, it's not murder.  Many have coined that term, and that is totally fine. Ruggs isn't getting charged for that.  However, the multiple charges and issues against him are not good (over twice the legal limit, over 100 MPH driving, two deaths).  So whatever time he could have served could get multiplied.  All that is without the civil suit.  IMO, I think he'll die in jail if the book get thrown at him.  The kid for one doesn't have the funds or cash that Donte Stallworth had.

Speaking of which, I thought of Stallworth, and I was actually dumb enough to try to look for a comparison between the two.  Yeah, no; there's no comparison.  That's short of a DUI resulting in death.  There have been questions that Donte may have been jobbed, but unlike Ruggs, Donte owned up & took responsibility when he likely had a chance to win.  Regardless of what the victim did then that was illegal, the former NFL star still took a life, and the regret was there.

Speaking of regret, I don't think we'll ever see that from Aaron Rodgers.  If you ask Florio he'd rank this as worse than that Ruggs did.  Mike didn't; just based off of his Twitter post.  Those two are definitely not comparable; Rodgers technically did endanger other people, but at the end of the day, or in a year's time: people will forget about Aaron's violations toward COVID, whereas in a year's time: people will forget about Ruggs as an actual human being

It'll be interesting to see how the Titans manage without Henry for the rest of the year. Conventional wisdom says that a team should be able to weather the loss of a RB, even a great one like him.

All of the fantasy teams that were built around him probably won't fare as well.

Aaron Rogers is a piece of work. NFL radio played his exact statement about being immunized. After he said that, he also said that he won't judge the players on the team who choose not to get vaccinated referring them as "those guys."  Heh, even though he was absolutely one of "those guys."

I don't have a lot of belief that his homeopathic elevated antibodies will help him fight off the Covid-19 in his body. The fact that he's a professional athlete in good health will likely help him in that battle. There is a tiny piece of me that thinks it wouldn't be the worst thing if he gets just sick enough to make him say in public "This is a terrible disease". 

The Packers are going to get a hell of a fine for all of the things Rogers did that broke the rules for unvaccinated players. Things like post game interviews/press conferences unmasked have been going on all year. 

• Love 12
12 hours ago, mojoween said:

The Jets must have pissed off the football gods something fierce boy howdy.

Maybe the football gods like to see the Jets suffer. Its been like that since 1969.

As for OBJ, should I even remotely feel bad for him that it didn't work out at all with Baker Mayfield & the Browns? I know that his injuries didn't help, but maybe if he showed a little more effort & heart in Cleveland, then him & the Browns would be in much better shape than they currently are. His attitude sucks & wherever OBJ goes next, he will not be much of a help. He rather be a celebrity football player (like he was when he was with the Giants), than be a team player & help contribute to them winning games. OBJ is not someone who you want if you want your team to get to the Super Bowl & win it. 

Edited by Magog
  • Love 3
33 minutes ago, Magog said:

Maybe the football gods like to see the Jets suffer. Its been like that since 1969.

Maybe Joe Namath sold his soul so the Jets could get that SB win. What else explains their performance since, and those awful Medicare Advantage commercials he does?

• LOL 11
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Magog said:

As for OBJ, should I even remotely feel bad for him that it didn't work out at all with Baker Mayfield & the Browns? I know that his injuries didn't help, but maybe if he showed a little more effort & heart in Cleveland, then him & the Browns would be in much better shape than they currently are. His attitude sucks & wherever OBJ goes next, he will not be much of a help. He rather be a celebrity football player (like he was when he was with the Giants), than be a team player & help contribute to them winning games. OBJ is not someone who you want if you want your team to get to the Super Bowl & win it. 

As a Steeler fan I know all about diva wide receivers.  More trouble than they are worth.

• Love 7

Holy moly.  I have always loved Aaron Rodgers.  Love him in Green Bay, loved him as a Jeopardy! contestant, loved him as Jeopardy! host.

But if the things I am reading are actual quotes and things he said in an interview today, I cannot get behind that.  He is too much.

• Love 4
30 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Holy moly.  I have always loved Aaron Rodgers.  Love him in Green Bay, loved him as a Jeopardy! contestant, loved him as Jeopardy! host

I was rooting for him to get the permanent gig.  But clearly he’s far too stupid to live, much less host the iconic measure of smarts in America.  

• Love 11

Aaron Rodgers is furious that the truth got out.  Because apparently, when you believe in something (like not getting vaccinated), you don't want anybody to know - like how a true believer feels.

Maybe Odell will get traded to a team and finally calm down like Antonia Brown did with the Bucs.

AND MAYBE next week, we can talk about something other than Aaron & OBJ.  Oh, wait, week after next.  Next week will be suspension/fines and waiver talk.

• LOL 2
  • Love 4

Now he’s blaming a vaccinated player for getting him sick? What an asshole. How do those vaccinated players around him feel now? Just say you screwed up and be done with it instead of talking about ivermectin and playing with the flu. You cry when the refs don’t bail you out so shut up. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 8

Rodgers is taking medical advice from Joe Rogan?  I'll bet that makes the Packers medical staff (who apparently wasted a lot of years in medical school) feel really good.  He doesn't trust the vaccines because he thinks there are long-term unknowns about them, but he is taking monoclonal antibodies developed in a laboratory and approved by the FDA only on emergency use authorization.  The logic behind that escapes me, although for his sake I'm glad he's not relying solely on ivermectin.  He also said he believes he got COVID from a vaccinated person since he is "only" around vaccinated people.  How would he know that?  But then he says the reason he doesn't wear a mask at press conferences (he claims this is his only violation of the NFL's protocols) is because all the reporters are vaccinated and wear masks, so he wouldn't have to worry about the spread of COVID.  Dude, you just said you believe you got it from a vaccinated person.  Perhaps one of those reporters was positive and  asymptomatic.  Or perhaps when you were brewing it up, you gave it to one of them who took it home to a vulnerable family member (for example, one of the GB reporters recently did a story on his wife's breast cancer battle) or to their non-vaccinated young children.

Re Rodgers not wearing a mask at pressers - obviously a clear violation of the rules and he could/should be fined for that.  However, he's been doing it all season and only now that he has COVID the NFL is going to bring the hammer down?  Reporters wouldn't ask about it, because they all believed Rodgers was vaccinated based on his "yeah, I'm immunized" statement.  But the NFL was very aware of his non-vaccinated status.  Kirk Cousins stated openly he was not vaccinated and he does not wear a mask during press conferences either.  So if they fine Rodgers/Packers, they have to fine Cousins/Vikes, and I wonder if other teams have non-vaccinated players who are doing PCs w/o a mask on.  

Edited by Calvada
  • LOL 1
  • Love 14

Green Bay used to be my second team because they play home games outdoors in December and I respect that.  But Aaron Rodgers has low-key annoyed me for several years, and after the vaccination fiasco, I give up.  I guess I'm looking for a new second team.

• Love 4

Antonio Brown calmed down because he’s on a good team. If the Bucs sucked he would be whining like his usual self. And of course someone will pick up ODB, but I hate that bad, whiny behavior puts you in a better position.

• Love 4
42 minutes ago, ifionlyknew said:

Come  join Steeler nation. We also play outdoors and by rivers no less.

Go from Aaron Rodgers to Ben Roethlisberger?  Criminally stupid to stupidly criminal?  

I wonder if Rodgers will get a writing credit for this week's Saturday Night Live. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 12
2 hours ago, Calvada said:

Rodgers is taking medical advice from Joe Rogan?  I'll bet that makes the Packers medical staff (who apparently wasted a lot of years in medical school) feel really good.  He doesn't trust the vaccines because he thinks there are long-term unknowns about them, but he is taking monoclonal antibodies developed in a laboratory and approved by the FDA only on emergency use authorization.  The logic behind that escapes me, although for his sake I'm glad he's not relying solely on ivermectin.  He also said he believes he got COVID from a vaccinated person since he is "only" around vaccinated people.  How would he know that?  But then he says the reason he doesn't wear a mask at press conferences (he claims this is his only violation of the NFL's protocols) is because all the reporters are vaccinated and wear masks, so he wouldn't have to worry about the spread of COVID.  Dude, you just said you believe you got it from a vaccinated person.  Perhaps one of those reporters was positive and  asymptomatic.  Or perhaps when you were brewing it up, you gave it to one of them who took it home to a vulnerable family member (for example, one of the GB reporters recently did a story on his wife's breast cancer battle) or to their non-vaccinated young children.

Re Rodgers not wearing a mask at pressers - obviously a clear violation of the rules and he could/should be fined for that.  However, he's been doing it all season and only now that he has COVID the NFL is going to bring the hammer down?  Reporters wouldn't ask about it, because they all believed Rodgers was vaccinated based on his "yeah, I'm immunized" statement.  But the NFL was very aware of his non-vaccinated status.  Kirk Cousins stated openly he was not vaccinated and he does not wear a mask during press conferences either.  So if they fine Rodgers/Packers, they have to fine Cousins/Vikes, and I wonder if other teams have non-vaccinated players who are doing PCs w/o a mask on.  

I was particularly fond of the way Rodgers kept referring to himself as having done his own research and investigation, he's not one to follow the experts, he decides for himself.  And he acts like that's a good thing.  The rest of us are just sheep.

Interesting also, that he referred to the rep from the NFL who spoke to the team back in training camp about the protocols and encouraged vaccination as a 'stooge'.  Very classy and respectful.  From what I understand, the person who spoke was actually a physician with extensive training in immunology and infectious disease. There was a 'stooge' at that meeting and his initials are AR.

He also claimed that he is allergic to an ingredient in the Moderna and Pfizer vaccines which is why he couldn't receive them and that, after doing his own 'research', he decided not to get the J&J due to all the serious side effects.  The only 'ingredient' in the Moderna and Pfizer vaccines to which he could be referring is the m-RNA component.  The main vaccines which have been messenger RNA vaccines to this point are those for rabies and Zika.  So, he was exposed to rabies and/or Zika, got vaccinated and had an allergic reaction to it?  Sure, Jan.  Some flu shots also are mRNA, but based on the rest of his interview, I think it is safe to say he never got a flu shot, either.

Rodgers also claimed that one of his medical advisors, the same jerks who signed off on his petition to be exempted from the vaccine; told him that it was IMPOSSIBLE for someone who was already vaccinated to contract COVID or transmit it to others which is why he felt justified in not wearing a mask.  He says it was this misinformation that led him to ignore the rules.  I guess when he was doing his extensive 'research', he missed the hundreds and hundreds of medical experts who have discussed breakthrough cases of COVID.  And he never listens to the news or watches it on TV or reads a newspaper.

BTW, the monoclonal antibodies he is receiving which have helped him to feel so much better in just a couple of days are not available to the general public both because they are prohibitively expensive and in short supply.  But, somehow, Aaron managed to get himself to the head of the line.  I currently have a 69 year old friend who has a breakthrough case after being fully vaccinated.  She has now been miserably sick for 10 days.  But, her breathing is ok and she isn't a multimillionaire, so she is not going to be getting the special treatment that Rodgers is getting.

Having read the synopsis of his interview, I think it is quite obvious why Rodgers wanted to keep his status on the down low. As they say, "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt."  

Edited by Rootbeer
  • Love 21

Aaron Rodgers now feels so oppressed that he invoked the name of Martin Luther King.

Fuck that dude.

2 hours ago, Calvada said:

Re Rodgers not wearing a mask at pressers - obviously a clear violation of the rules and he could/should be fined for that.  However, he's been doing it all season and only now that he has COVID the NFL is going to bring the hammer down?

Like someone on ESPN noted, this is a league that fines dudes because their socks are too high.

• Love 15

Let me get this straight. AR won't get vaccinated because he allergic *cough*bullshit*cough* but he will take horse dewormer to "boost his immune system" from a virus.

Being allergic to an ingredient in the vaccine is a perfectly legitimate reason not to get vaccinated. One would think if AR were truly allergic he would have said that from the beginning so the whole allergic thing is bullshit.

• Useful 2
  • Love 15

Something I can't stop thinking about - Rodgers hands off the ball every week to a teammate who has a portion of his father's ashes, who died from COVID, sewn into a pocket in his uniform.  If only Aaron Jones's father had been able to consult Joe Rogan.  

Rodgers' arrogance is breathtaking.  He claims he followed all the protocols except the one that "didn't make sense to him" about wearing a mask at a press conference.  It's a condition of employment that the Players Association agreed to!  If he doesn't like it, quit.  It just shows a amazingly selfish disregard for the well being of others. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 13
2 minutes ago, Calvada said:

Something I can't stop thinking about - Rodgers hands off the ball every week to a teammate who has a portion of his father's ashes, who died from COVID, sewn into a pocket in his uniform.  If only Aaron Jones's father had been able to consult Joe Rogan.

I didn't even know that about Aaron Jones. Rodgers is such a huge bag of disease-riddled dicks.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, xaxat said:

Aaron Rodgers now feels so oppressed that he invoked the name of Martin Luther King.

Fuck that dude.

Like someone on ESPN noted, this is a league that fines dudes because their socks are too high.

Or having your jersey untucked. 

• Useful 2
3 hours ago, twoods said:

Antonio Brown calmed down because he’s on a good team.

He credited Tom Brady with helping him out.  He lived with Brady and his family when he first got to Tampa Bay.  I read something recently that Tom helped him get the help he needed with whatever issues he was/is having.  

One thing that I really like about our favorite team (Bucs!) is that the guys seemed to have checked their egos at the door in order to work together towards a common goal.  Coach Arians told them that he knows that the receivers all want to score a TD, but he told them that there'll be games when they won't even touch the ball, so basically, deal with it!  That's my kind of coach!   Some of these guys let their egos get in the way of what's best for the team, but that's why it's been such a pleasure to watch the Bucs now, because they all have that attitude that they can win, not just hope to win (as Mike Evans stated that's how it used to be.)  Mike is a good player who was stuck on a bad team.  We're thrilled for him to have this opportunity to work with Brady & Gronk and get rewarded for years of hard work.  Same with the other guys who were in the same boat/pirate ship as him!  

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, scriggle said:

Let me get this straight. AR won't get vaccinated because he allergic *cough*bullshit*cough* but he will take horse dewormer to "boost his immune system" from a virus.

Being allergic to an ingredient in the vaccine is a perfectly legitimate reason not to get vaccinated. One would think if AR were truly allergic he would have said that from the beginning so the whole allergic thing is bullshit.

That fancy Cal education he’s so proud of doesn’t seem to have done him any good…..

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Calvada said:

Rodgers' arrogance is breathtaking.  He claims he followed all the protocols except the one that "didn't make sense to him" about wearing a mask at a press conference.  It's a condition of employment that the Players Association agreed to!  If he doesn't like it, quit.  It just shows a amazingly selfish disregard for the well being of others. 

It's because there are no real consequences.  His diva like behavior this off season?  Seems like most fans were on his side and are more than happy to cheer him on.  This vaccine BS where he tries to portray himself as a victim?  If he leads the Packers anywhere close to a title he'll be loved and this will be forgotten.  It seems more likely the NFL will punish the Packers for failing to hold Rodgers accountable, and the Packers are probably terrified of doing something for fear of losing him for good.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, cambridgeguy said:

It seems more likely the NFL will punish the Packers for failing to hold Rodgers accountable, and the Packers are probably terrified of doing something for fear of losing him for good.

I heard it reported that he was having daily covid testing, and that the league was aware of his situation.  I'm sure Goodell will weigh in soon.  I haven't been following this too closely, so I'm getting bits of info at a time.  Ain't my monkey, ain't my circus!  Good luck with the league sorting this out! 

37 minutes ago, Carey said:

According to Jay Glazer, expect the max to be a fine for Aaron and the Packers.  Not sure who'd be punish in the organization though

LMAO. They went to the Supreme Court to punish Brady over an imagined master scheme to deflate footballs. They have all the evidence they could possibly ask for that Rodgers was flaunting league rules and endangering people who were not aware of his status and the Packers were condoning it. And this time they want it to go away. 

• Love 8

Doubling down not admitting he lied claims he talked to league doctors who advised him not to be vaccinated.  

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/32560778/green-bay-packers-qb-aaron-rodgers-says-lie-details-decision-not-get-vaccinated

Pisses me off so much in so many ways.  Claiming to be a critical thinker yet he took an unproven medicine ivermectin.  It's not critical thinking.  It's all manipulating the facts in your mind to your preconceived notion of what you want.  And blatantly lying about it. 

If he believes in it so much anyway why didn't he just come out and say he isn't vaccinated instead claiming to be immunized?  He even said if asked a follow up about being immunized and what it meant he was going to not admit anything And play the righteous indignation card.  

Selfish, entitled asshole is all it is. Every bit of it.  

Edited by DrSpaceman73
  • Love 15
1 hour ago, emmawoodhouse said:

I'm embarrassed to share an alma mater with him.

I don't think he actually graduated. So, we're in the clear.

2 hours ago, cambridgeguy said:

If he leads the Packers anywhere close to a title he'll be loved and this will be forgotten.

That's what I was saying on the flip side of that the other day. If him being out for 2 games costs that then he's going to be blamed. 

• Love 1