Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E10: Week 9

• Start Topic

This is such a bad final 2. If I were the lead, all my eggs would've been in the Jared and Ben H. basket. Don't sleep on the good guys when you are looking for a partner. Kaitlyn wants drama.

Also, I've been pretty weary of Kaitlyn and Ben's "connection" since he confronted her about the off camera time with Shawn in their hotel room. Me thinks they both knew it wasn't gonna work between them and have since been acting so he can get the next lead. He did a better job than her. She is completely checked out half the time.

• Love 7

I barely caught a few minutes of this episode, just during commercial breaks during Ninja, and only when TBette wasn't breaking at the same time. But it appears by reading here that pretty much everyone feels the same way as I do about this season ... you are just still watching while I've switched sides to NBC. Reading here, I realized I would be hitting "Like" for just about every single post, so consider this my ONE BIG LIKE for all yous guys and your hilarious comments. Thanks!

I really gotta try to see TMTA though. It better deliver what it promises.

p.s. You do not call sheep to you by shaking a SCARY paper bag at them, you dumb*sses. Geesh.

• Love 4

Exactly. And she was brought in a couple of episodes after it had started. I don't remember it being an issue with the women even if they probably didn't like it (for one thing, unlike Nick, Mary was very popular with the fans). So it didn't seem unusual or offensive at all to me--TB always throws curve balls one way or another so any contestant should be prepared for ... whatever.

The HUGE difference is that Mary did not have a prior relationship with Bryan and Nick did have a relationship with Kaitlyn...exactly how much of a relationship is speculation, but enough of one where she was giddy and practically foaming at the mouth when she saw him. 

• Love 3
"Look, Shawn, Bradley Airport! Ooh, Off Track Betting!"

Do they still have the tobacco fields near Bradley? And don't forget the airplane museum lol I am sad that we didn't get a CT hometown date. I thought it would be fun to try to figure out where they were and see places I know. Oh well. Utah looked...nice?

I've hated Kaitlyn's "sense of humor" ever since the sumo date when she seemed to only find humor in embarrassing the guys. Ugh. I can't wait for this season to end. Bring on Paradise!

The best part of this episode was the Paradise commercial with Clare and Dr. Raccoon. I hope Dr. R is going to make an appearance this season.

• Love 1

p.s. You do not call sheep to you by shaking a SCARY paper bag at them, you dumb*sses. Geesh.

lol I was thinking the whole time, isn't that kind of what you're supposed to do to make yourself look big, and scary, and scare bears away?  No wonder the sheep ran for it!

• Love 4

How long was this episode?   I idly watched for about the first hour, then decided to color my hair, and it was still on.   Then I messed with my eyebrows and showered.   And it was still on.     Then, I shaved my face and trimmed my nose hairs.   And it was still on.   Then I did some dishes, and cleaned the kitchen.   STILL on.    Finally, after drying my hair, I came back to the closing credits of Kaitlyn braying and scaring some sheep. 

• Love 9

I hope Dr. R will be there every day, too. Wish they had raccoons in Ireland. (Actually Shawn and Kaitlyn conferring with the two donkeys would have been more appropriate). 

I watched the part I missed last night (I know. Why?)  I would bet anything -- anything! -- that when Kaitlyn has been having her alone time with Nick and Shawn she tells Nick, "Wow, Shawn really hates you, doesn't he?" and to Shawn she says, "Nick hates you. I mean, really, really hates you."

Because that seems deep in her mind and I think she likes it and not only does nothing to minimize it, she actually is hyping it up in private.  I -do- agree that Shawn seems to hate Nick, so much so that if he weren't on camera I get the feeling he'd find any excuse to beat him up. But he's an idiot and I'm sure it's no problem for her to keep the jealousy burning there.

As for Nick, she enjoys thinking he hates Shawn but it doesn't seem as if he does at all. If Shawn would stop accusing him of being a liar and a fake and be civil, listen to him, even be friendly, I think Nick could absolutely be fine with him. He doesn't hate him. Shawn keeps forcing a response by baiting and insulting him. Left to his own, Nick doesn't seem to like him, but emotionally I think he "nothings" him. Except for how Kaitlyn feeds the drama. I really do believe she's instigating it and loving to be that "special" on camera.

• Love 9

You do not call sheep to you by shaking a SCARY paper bag at them, you dumb*sses. Geesh.

LOL, and they seemed so concerned that the sheep were just standing and staring, like there might be something wrong with them. They're sheep Kaitlyn! Standing and staring is their jam.
  • Love 14

How long was this episode?   I idly watched for about the first hour, then decided to color my hair, and it was still on.   Then I messed with my eyebrows and showered.   And it was still on.     Then, I shaved my face and trimmed my nose hairs.   And it was still on.   Then I did some dishes, and cleaned the kitchen.   STILL on.    Finally, after drying my hair, I came back to the closing credits of Kaitlyn braying and scaring some sheep. 

I'm going with 6 or 7 hours? That's what it felt like anyway. Technically speaking I think it was only 2.  It was a good time for getting chores done though.

LOL, and they seemed so concerned that the sheep were just standing and staring, like there might be something wrong with them. They're sheep Kaitlyn! Standing and staring is their jam.

Until you shake a big scary noisy bag at them - then running away is their jam!

• Love 3

Except for how Kaitlyn feeds the drama. I really do believe she's instigating it and loving to be that "special" on camera.

Exactly.  THAT is her Jam.  She dates Hockey players, for craps sake!  Loud, testosterone-fueled and full of righteous indignation at any guy bold enough to do his woman before him.  That is Shawn, and that is the kind of man she wants. She's made that crystal clear.  

She was toying with Ick, for some weird and twisted purpose.  But he can go back to posing shirtless for his "fans" while Kaitlyn is posing for Shawn.  

• Love 3

Mary from Bob Guiney's season came back onto Byron Velvick's season and was the F1.

Interesting. I don't think I saw Byron. If I did, I probably would've had the same reaction. I tend to have a bias against candidates who show up after the initial group has been chosen. As I mentioned earlier, I think they displace the original people who have a right to be there. 

Overall, something about this entire season has seemed off to me. Nick's presence is definitely one of them.

• Love 1

Nick's family hadn't even spoken to him since NY? Not even a phone call or text message?

I don't think anyone is allowed to speak with their family during filming. They talked to him when he was trying to get on the show in NY, then he did and couldn't talk anymore.

• Love 3
(edited)

I doubt it, they have never had a Bachelorette on there

Except for Trista. And Melissa Rycroft. Although they weren't both THE Bachelorette, they were both on due to the connection. Edited by Pixel

So bring on Clare and all the other crazies as I'm ready for some "Bachelor in Paradise"!

I really like Clare. And I really, really can't wait to see the raccoon.

• Love 1

For me, part of the reason this season has been so unmemorable is that, whether it's Kaitlyn, editing, or all of the best footage of decent conversations is on all that off-camera time, to invoke the words of Ian, it's all very "surface level."

The Bachelor(ette) has somewhat of a formula. In advance of hometowns, they talk about who she will meet on hometowns (if the family aspect hasn't been covered already). Going into Shawn's date, I had no idea anything about his family. We, as viewers, never got to hear about how close he is with his sisters, what the story with his mom is (he referred to his sisters acting like mothers to him, not "second mothers"), or what this great one love of his life was, in advance of the hometown. So I feel like I know nothing about why she would like Shawn. I'd trade some of that footage for the umpteenth bitch fight with Nick.

There have also been zero conversations about how their long distance relationships can work. This is straight from the Bachelor Playbook. Did no one pack it and bring it to Ireland?

I may be a total cynic and have watched way too many episodes of unReal, but during Ben's date and exit, all I could think was that some producer pulled him aside and said, "Ben, we both know you have no shot at this, but sell how much you are into her and make a classy exit, and you're the next Bachelor." When he opened up the "from the moment I stepped out of the limo" speech, I felt like I was at the Bachelor pageant. Smile and wave, Ben. Smile and wave.

• Love 11
(edited)

I doubt it, they have never had a Bachelorette on there

The first season of Dancing with the Stars had Trista. It was a summer filler show back then. I haven't watched since the Melissa Rycroft season (I liked her). They do seem to prefer to cast bachelors on the show, rather than bachelorettes. I highly doubt any of these three losers left will end up there.

Is it me, or does Shawn refer to her as Kaylin? Maybe he just can't remember names and, left to his own devices, he might start calling her "the other person who is not a guy".

HAH!! Snorting coffee through my nose! Edited by Andromeda
  • Love 2
(edited)
Exactly.  THAT is her Jam.  She dates Hockey players, for craps sake!  Loud, testosterone-fueled and full of righteous indignation at any guy bold enough to do his woman before him.  That is Shawn, and that is the kind of man she wants. She's made that crystal clear.

Okay , the entire country where I'm from plays hockey so I'm really not used to reading such a broad brush being applied to all hockey players like this....   I'm guessing Shawn is an American guy who doesn't play hockey, either...

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 4

If I was family of Nick or Shawn I'd greatly prefer a shoulder season respite at a sweet Utah resort for our "hometown" visit, rather than TB production crew and random looky-loos rolling up and invading my home space.

If Kaitlyn hadn't latched on to a 'The One' from the start, I wonder if Show would've indulged in the typical array of international destinations and actual hometown visits--it's felt more like, why spend the money jetting around the globe wooing the men if there's only one of blatant interest. idk

• Love 3

Finally! I have something positive to say about Kaitlyn!

I think she has a very cute (though very thin) figure and it's great how comfortable she is with her body. I have no doubt she would have been comfortable to take off her clothes too and run around the golf course with Shawn. Maybe they are both exhibitionists, but there -is- something appealing (as well as unappealing) about her freedom with her body and her sexuality. I like that she's "upset the apple cart" of TB, including the archaic idea that contestants wait for sex until CH writes them an "invitation" to a suite and presents them with a key.  Her choices caused problems for her and the competitors, I think, but she was really going after a guy she wanted (later, two of them) and it's kind of refreshing (even though I still don't like her, lol).

But what I wanted to compliment was the red dress and that her "cleavage" looked good imo and refreshingly, she hasn't had a boob job. Kudos for that, and I hope she doesn't get one for ATFR (like I think Nikki did). Such a bad idea. And I think it's part of what people who -do- like her respond to -- she doesn't seem phony. I appreciate that in a b-ette, esp. after Andi and Emily.

• Love 14
(edited)

Exactly.  THAT is her Jam.  She dates Hockey players, for craps sake!  Loud, testosterone-fueled and full of righteous indignation at any guy bold enough to do his woman before him.  That is Shawn, and that is the kind of man she wants. She's made that crystal clear.   

Whoa!  Hockey is a sport, not a personality disorder.   I know some decent, sensitive  guys who played hockey,  I am married to one of them, gave birth to another. 

Maybe I'm just not getting what you are saying.

Edited by backformore
  • Love 8

I know some decent, sensitive  guys who played hockey,  I am married to one of them, gave birth to another. 

Maybe I'm just not getting what you are saying.

Really? Me too. My ex was a pro hockey player and my son played at the highest levels up through Division I college hockey. :)

And yes, you're absolutely right. Hockey players are well known for being the least arrogant and most down-to-earth thoughtful professional athletes around. Of course there are a few idiots but the generalized name calling and insults are offensive. Mind you, I'm finding many of the comments about Kaitlyn and Shawn and even Nick are getting pretty offensive. Good snark has an element of humour to it but there's very little humour on the forum these days.

• Love 10

Mind you, I'm finding many of the comments about Kaitlyn and Shawn and even Nick are getting pretty offensive. Good snark has an element of humour to it but there's very little humour on the forum these days.

Not only on the forum- everywhere on social media.  I can't imagine why anyone would want to be the Bachelor/ette- people are just vicious. I think that there's a lot of room for snark and ironically watching the show (which does have a pretty ridiculous premise), but there's no need to actually be cruel.  And I think that a lot of people forget that we only see the storyline that fits the narrative that the producers want to put together after the whole thing is filmed.  I don't like Shawn as he's presented on the show now, but I really doubt if he's that big of a jealous/insecure/immature little boy in real life.  They've probably got piles of footage of him being a perfectly decent person, and of him and Kaitlyn having real interactions, but that's not what they wanted to show.   They've probably also got tired/grumpy/drunk/idiot footage of Ben H. and Jared, but since they're labelled 'good guys', we didn't see it. 

• Love 8

If Kaitlyn hadn't latched on to a 'The One' from the start, I wonder if Show would've indulged in the typical array of international destinations and actual hometown visits--it's felt more like, why spend the money jetting around the globe wooing the men if there's only one of blatant interest. idk

Andi had decided on Josh right away, and they still hit multiple European countries and ended the season somewhere tropical.

This season, I think the show (a) resented having to pick Kaitlyn and (b) didn't think the whirlwind jet-setting fairy-tale romance thing would look right with the tatted-up, foul-mouthed party-girl Bachelorette. Hitting one European country would satisfy the world-travel quota.

• Love 10

For the first time, I was bored.

Really bored. 

There was drama but no suspense.  It was obvious to me that Ben would not be chosen, no matter how much Kaitlyn was saying that he would make a good husband.  

And the "hometown" dates were also boring.  Hometown dates are interesting because you learn more about the people, where they grew up, the kinds of homes they grew up in (urban/rural, tacky/no so much, etc).  You see what kind of food they choose to make for you, how they sit around a table, if they offer you wine or beer or juice. It gives them flavor, romance.  A chance to see if you could really fit into the lifestyle of the family of your chosen 1 (or 2 or 3).

These dates had all the romance of meeting in an anonymous off-season hotel for a conference. 

• Love 8
(edited)
I think she has a very cute (though very thin) figure and it's great how comfortable she is with her body. I have no doubt she would have been comfortable to take off her clothes too and run around the golf course with Shawn. Maybe they are both exhibitionists, but there -is- something appealing (as well as unappealing) about her freedom with her body and her sexuality. I like that she's "upset the apple cart" of TB, including the archaic idea that contestants wait for sex until CH writes them an "invitation" to a suite and presents them with a key.  Her choices caused problems for her and the competitors, I think, but she was really going after a guy she wanted (later, two of them) and it's kind of refreshing (even though I still don't like her, lol).

It's easy to be comfortable with your body when you're a size 0.  I've given up hoping for a plus size Bachelorette or even a plus size contestant on the show.  Maybe somebody that is a size 6....

But what I wanted to compliment was the red dress and that her "cleavage" looked good imo and refreshingly, she hasn't had a boob job. Kudos for that, and I hope she doesn't get one for ATFR (like I think Nikki did). Such a bad idea. And I think it's part of what people who -do- like her respond to -- she doesn't seem phony. I appreciate that in a b-ette, esp. after Andi and Emily.

If I had Katlyn's figure I would strip down naked as well...

That red dress was amazing!  She looked good without looking cheap and sleazy.  A lot of dress that have that extremely low cut can come across as stripper-ish with large melons pressed inside but because Katlyn seems to have a bit smaller chest the dress looked very sexy and "oh la-la".

And the "hometown" dates were also boring.  Hometown dates are interesting because you learn more about the people, where they grew up, the kinds of homes they grew up in (urban/rural, tacky/no so much, etc).  You see what kind of food they choose to make for you, how they sit around a table, if they offer you wine or beer or juice. It gives them flavor, romance.  A chance to see if you could really fit into the lifestyle of the family of your chosen 1 (or 2 or 3).

I agree, this season's hometowns just seemed to informal.  Both families seemed terribly uncomfortable, especially Nick's family.  I guess because they went thru it before, IDK, they just had this look on their face like oh God here we F'in go again =(

Edited by Dirtybubble
  • Love 4

I'd like to see more of one of Nick's brothers...the blonde fashionable one.  What's his story?  Might be the most telegenic of the family.

And the "hometown" dates were also boring.

For me, this is just one more CHEAP aspect of this season's shows.  Kaitlyn and the guys got very little in the way of perks (travel, great meals and accommodations, fabulous outfits for Kaitlyn).   This season was sponsored by Goodwill.

• Love 5

They probably could have just had Kaitlyn meet the families in the parking lot of Costco, then they could all have gone in for a hot dog.  About as intimate and informative as what they showed us. 

And we know Kaitlyn likes Costco.  

• Love 8

I thought the red/orange dress was ugly. She looks like a street waif who has been dressed up as a prostitute. The prison tats certainly don't help with that. She's always hunched and scurrying around with bad posture. I know I'm being mean and petty but I can't help it. I stare at her scraggly hair and extensions and just want to chop it off. I'm sorry for being offensive. I'll show myself out.

• Love 6

Do they still have the tobacco fields near Bradley? And don't forget the airplane museum lol I am sad that we didn't get a CT hometown date. I thought it would be fun to try to figure out where they were and see places I know. Oh well. Utah looked...nice?

I've hated Kaitlyn's "sense of humor" ever since the sumo date when she seemed to only find humor in embarrassing the guys. Ugh. I can't wait for this season to end. Bring on Paradise!

The best part of this episode was the Paradise commercial with Clare and Dr. Raccoon. I hope Dr. R is going to make an appearance this season.

Yes, both the museum and the tobacco fields are there.

But as was said above, we now know nothing about either guy. No background, no schools, no teachers, no friends.

The show is a disaster.

YES you mentioned the 19th century castle! That's how old my house is--meh.

YES you mentioned Ben's leaving in a minivan vs a limo. How awkward was his crawling into it--nobody is graceful climbing into a minivan.

Nice recap!

• Love 2

Whoa! Hockey is a sport, not a personality disorder.  

Dear God. I can't tell you how hard you made me laugh.

It's easy to be comfortable with your body when you're a size 0.  I've given up hoping for a plus size Bachelorette or even a plus size contestant on the show.  Maybe somebody that is a size 6....

I could have sworn I once saw a larger (as in "a size other than thin") contestant on The Bachelor. I could've sworn she had blonde hair. 

• Love 2

Andi had decided on Josh right away, and they still hit multiple European countries and ended the season somewhere tropical.

This season, I think the show (a) resented having to pick Kaitlyn and (b) didn't think the whirlwind jet-setting fairy-tale romance thing would look right with the tatted-up, foul-mouthed party-girl Bachelorette. Hitting one European country would satisfy the world-travel quota.

I think those birds on the back of her arms are ridiculous.  But I'd hardly call her "tatted-up".  

As far as foul-mouthed, I think if they could get past the hideous duck-billed appearance of her mouth, they don't care what comes out of it.

I think it's very likely that they had at least one European stop scheduled (where they would go from F5 to F4), then back home for real Hometown Dates at F4, and off to someplace tropical for Fantasy Suites at F3, staying on for the FRC at F2.

However, it seems fairly obvious that something happened after the got to Ireland that compelled TPTB to get things from F5 to F2 without letting any of these guys near an airport or any location where they might bolt and try to claim sanctuary in order to escape.

Also, while my seething dislike of Andi is well-known, and while I'm convinced that Josh was cast specifically to ensure that the season would end with an engagement (coming off of that awful Juan Pablo refusing to say "love"), I don't think Andi unreasonably led any of the other guys on the way Kaitlyn apparently has.  The only time she really did that was with Nick in the FS, and we only know about that because he cried about it on ATFR.  Even then the show basically stood behind her (still needing to sell that "the journey" really does work), although they definitely didn't promote her they way they might otherwise have.

• Love 3

Also, while my seething dislike of Andi is well-known, and while I'm convinced that Josh was cast specifically to ensure that the season would end with an engagement (coming off of that awful Juan Pablo refusing to say "love"), I don't think Andi unreasonably led any of the other guys on the way Kaitlyn apparently has.  The only time she really did that was with Nick in the FS, and we only know about that because he cried about it on ATFR.  Even then the show basically stood behind her (still needing to sell that "the journey" really does work), although they definitely didn't promote her they way they might otherwise have.

I didn't blame Nick for his reaction, especially after how Andi had acted (with, imo, much less provocation) with JP. I thought she led him on because of the way he asked (begged) her not to have sex with him if she wasn't serious about an ongoing relationship. And even his little sister pleaded with her "Please don't hurt my brother" and Andi indicated to her they were going to be one big happy family.

We know it was Josh for her from the beginning, so I'll always think of her as a heartless shrew for the way she treated Nick and I don't think he did anything wrong to ask her in ATFR when she was icy-cold to him, why she slept with him if she already knew it was Josh. If a woman had done that, lots of people would applaud her, imo. But Nick just got criticized for "crying about it".

Not to rehash, though. It would have been nice if he found love with Kaitlyn, but I hope he doesn't because he seems much too good for her imo. I think he'll find someone else, probably one of the many nice b-ette rejects from a TB season. That actually seems to work out better than the shows.

• Love 11

Ben could have cared less about Kaitlyn. She was gushing about how she knew so much about him or something along those lines and then he told her he'd just had a birthday and she didn't even know how old he is. Yep you know SO much about Ben.

I interpreted this differently. I think the point that he/the show was making was that he had "lied" (not a big deal, in my opinion) about his age when he initially told her he was 26, whenever that conversation happened. She thought the birthday meant that he had just turned 27, but what he meant was that he had actually been 25 at the beginning of the show and had turned 26 during taping.

I wonder about Shawn's mom.  She "couldn't make it", and his sisters "raised him".   It was also very strange that he was saying if his sisters didn't approve, he was not going to propose. 

Saying he might not propose seemed like producer-driven misdirection to me, trying to distract viewers from the whole "she said I was The One in San Antonio" thing. So much of this season has felt like the producers were throwing everything they could think of at a wall, hoping something would stick to make it seem like Kaitlyn hadn't made her mind up ages ago.

Nick's family hadn't even spoken to him since NY? Not even a phone call or text message?

I really dislike Nick, but I don't think we can blame him for that. Isn't it standard procedure to make contestants surrender their phones during taping?

And we know Kaitlyn likes Costco.  

Hey, who doesn't like Costco?

• Love 2

It would have been nice if he found love with Kaitlyn, but I hope he doesn't because he seems much too good for her imo. I think he'll find someone else, probably one of the many nice b-ette rejects from a TB season. That actually seems to work out better than the shows.

Or, he could do it the normal way and not meet his future wife on a reality show if he is that concerned with getting hurt (again).  Personally I think he is a huge fame whore (and hoping to be The Bachelor) so it is really hard to feel sorry for him.  Of course maybe he will "win" this time, although be careful what you wish for. 

• Love 7

I thought the red/orange dress was ugly. She looks like a street waif who has been dressed up as a prostitute. The prison tats certainly don't help with that. She's always hunched and scurrying around with bad posture. I know I'm being mean and petty but I can't help it. I stare at her scraggly hair and extensions and just want to chop it off. I'm sorry for being offensive. I'll show myself out.

And Kaitlyn's blinding, over-bleached 1" long teeth.  She thrives on showcasing those teeth every chance she gets.  I wonder if she is afflicted with being a bleachorexic...one who never thinks their teeth are white enough, so they overdo it.  Over time these people eventually wear the enamel off their teeth.  Yes, this is a petty post.  LOL

• Love 1
Personally I think he is a huge fame whore (and hoping to be The Bachelor) so it is really hard to feel sorry for him.

That's been my take since I first saw his "surprise appearance" this season.  I began to second-guess myself after reading so many "nice" things about Nick...what a "nice" guy he is and how he deserves happiness.  Thank you, thank you, Palomar, for bringing me to my senses.  

For those who don't like her "duck-billed" mouth...watch closely and often.  That top lip changes often.

• Love 3
(edited)

Personally, I wish ABC and the producers behind this show would wipe the slate clean, pick a bachelor we've not seen previously and get the train back on the track because if they keep recycling people, I'm out. I always watch this stupid show for the comedy value but there was none this time and it was basically unwatchable.

Perhaps if we are lucky they will cast the sheep.

Sorry i messed up the quoting.

Edited by call me ishmael
  • Love 1

YES you mentioned the 19th century castle! That's how old my house is--meh.

The 19th-century castle -- was an eye-roller that was for me, too. In other words, for Ireland that's modern construction. It looked like a fake modern version of a castle, too (built during Victorian times when that was in vogue.) It was about as real a castle as the Excalibur Hotel in Las Vegas.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

after reading so many "nice" things about Nick...what a "nice" guy he is and how he deserves happiness.

But all those things come from people that don't actually know him in real life.  For every positive attribute, they "see", there's a negative that people like me "see".   People can certainly be edited to tell specific stories, but truly nice people don't get crappy edits.  These people do some acting, but only Kaitlyn is getting paid.  

Go with your gut. 

• Love 2

But all those things come from people that don't actually know him in real life.  For every positive attribute, they "see", there's a negative that people like me "see".   People can certainly be edited to tell specific stories, but truly nice people don't get crappy edits.  These people do some acting, but only Kaitlyn is getting paid.  

Go with your gut. 

But, taking him at this season only and not taking anything away for showing up after a couple of weeks (from what CH said, I'm pretty sure that was producer-driven because they freaked out over Kaitlyn and Shawn), what has Nick said or done that's been so bad?

Not being argumentative, I just honestly don't know. He's seemed perfectly fine to me, but people seem to hate him (not only here, but even Yahoo comments, etc). Have I missed things? (Not unlikely, since I find this season impossible to sit through as it is actually being shown in real time).

• Love 4
(edited)

But all those things come from people that don't actually know him in real life.  For every positive attribute, they "see", there's a negative that people like me "see".   People can certainly be edited to tell specific stories, but truly nice people don't get crappy edits.  These people do some acting, but only Kaitlyn is getting paid.  

Disclaimer: I don't mean to sound like I'm defending Nick or anyone else. 

Regarding reality TV, although I haven't seen every episode of UnREAL, I've read articles where they claim that what happens on the show does not reflect The Bachelor franchise. That said, it opened my eyes. I now have two trains of thought when I watch the show. On one hand I want to believe that I'm seeing a legitimate representation of a person. On the other, I tend to think that it is actually very easy to misrepresent someone via editing and manipulative production practices.

Edited by C76
  • Love 1

Truly nice people can get crappy edit, all they need to do is snip clips together and show the viewers something out of contexts. They can also edit words into a conversation that took place at a completely different time

• Love 4

On TB, I'm always very skeptical when they cut TH with voice overs back and forth. I can't remember which former participant criticized that as very deceptive, but its the easiest way to piece together things out of context and seems very dishonest. If you're showing a TH, I think we can watch and listen patiently as we see them say 3 or 4 consecutive sentences. Inserting their words and voice over some random picture really raises my suspicions. And this show does it routinely.

I really don't think it was like this in the beginning, but maybe I should watch the old one (and yes, I actually have the dvd of Aaron Burges--his name I think?--although I missed the actual season. It might be interesting, even though its so abridged, to see how different this show was "then" and "now".  I have a feeling the answer will be "very").

• Love 1
(edited)

If I had only seen Nick this season, I would agree that he seems like a nice guy. But he was edited as the guy "not there to make friends" in Andi's season. And the way he didn't get along with most of the guys and sulked on the group dates, he just seemed insufferable. So when the guys this season automatically didn't like him, I was on their side, too. But then it reached the point where he was being a good sport on the group dates and half the guys seemed to like him just fine. He seemed to be accepting of the guys who didn't like him, so when they went off on a "that guy with his wrong reasons rant" and he just sat back and said things like "I'm sorry you feel that way; I really like Kaitlyn," he did come across as a nice guy in a difficult situation. And the other guys came off ridiculously petty. Although I spent most of this season disliking Nick because I couldn't stand him last season, this episode it's finally reached the breaking point where I think he's a better choice than Shawn. And I've already voted Team Shawn in the poll.

Edited by JenE4
  • Love 4

I thought the other guys came off ridiculously petty last season too. They got mad at him for things like comforting Andi after the Eric confrontation or talking about his feelings for her too much, which somehow meant that he had some ulterior motive (uhh...?). Funnily enough the guys accusing him of ulterior motives went on to be on BIP or The Bachelor, so yeah. And every time he was confronted by them he just stayed calm and rational and perfectly nice. Even when Cody got upset about some sarcastic comment he made, he just apologized for hurting his feelings and they just would NOT let it go! It's like they were desperately trying to pick a fight with Nick and he had no interest in humouring them. I kind of loved him for that.

Yeah, he has a habit of talking too much and not knowing when to shut up, so I can see why he'd rub some people the wrong way, but I don't think that makes him a bad guy or justifies treating him like dirt. His greatest offense during the season seemed to be acting sulky on the mime date, which I probably would have too, since it would be my worst nightmare. Josh practically threw a fit about the lie detector date and no one called him a bad sport. It's not like the lead even plans the dates so his reaction was OTT. The "sex reveal" at ATFR was the last nail in Nick's coffin, but I honestly don't think it was preplanned or some calculated revenge move. The guy was shaking for heaven's sake, he was that emotional. I'm sure we've all said some stupid stuff while emotional, just not on live TV. He's been nothing but gracious towards everyone involved since, which I think says a lot about his character.

And I think it says a lot about Shawn's character that he thinks he can form an opinion of someone without even trying to get to know them, then destroy their character for 20 minutes without letting them get a word in and then think he's "won". 'Delusional' comes to mind.

• Love 9

And Kaitlyn's blinding, over-bleached 1" long teeth.  She thrives on showcasing those teeth every chance she gets.  I wonder if she is afflicted with being a bleachorexic...one who never thinks their teeth are white enough, so they overdo it.  Over time these people eventually wear the enamel off their teeth.  Yes, this is a petty post.  LOL

I think the teeth post is fine as she chose to make them look that way.  Kind of like Emily--those were something else!

I admittedly am bothered by all of the duck lips posts that have been on these threads, however because I find them mean spirited and I just feel that she can't really change her lips (and shouldn't try to...they are the lips she was given).