Type keyword(s) to search

Say What?: Commercials That Made Us Scratch Our Heads

Lola16
  • Start Topic

13 hours ago, Jamoche said:

To begin with, it's a stupid product. Sure, make my t-shirts take up twice the space. But the grammar errors! "Wardrobe" doesn't have an 's' on it unless you're talking about furniture, which they aren't. And most of the 'dialog' sounds just slightly off, like something that came from Google translate.

Wow, that totally sounds like it went through the google translator.  Who says wardrobe instead of closet?  It reminds me of a Japanese cartoon made into English.  The more I listen to it, the funnier it gets.

"Clothes are a mess again even though you organize them hard!"

"Easy Tray organizes your clothes not to be messy"

• Love 4

'Best of Geico'- I think this is a faux/parody 80's ad based on the 'Best of the 60's' (etc.) music compilation ads. I'm so old that it took me a while to figure out that this was supposed to be hilarious, because the décor, clothing and hair look pretty familiar! In fact my initial thought was 'Huh, I used to have a sweater/jeans combo just like that lady is wearing...wait, are those high waist acid wash jeans with a bulky fair isle sweater tucked in? And those shiny bright brown boots....' Of course, in real life, there are no doubt millennials/teens who are frantically trying to find out where they can buy these clothes.

What really clued me in was all the brass trim everywhere in the room, although I guess even that's coming back in style again.

• Love 9
6 hours ago, cynicat said:

Who says wardrobe instead of closet? 

If it's standalone furniture, it's a wardrobe - probably more common in areas older than built-in closets, though. But I'm pretty sure they're using it in the sense of "collection of clothes" and Google translate steered them wrong.

• Love 4
On 12/24/2018 at 1:36 PM, Jamoche said:

But the grammar errors! "Wardrobe" doesn't have an 's' on it unless you're talking about furniture, which they aren't.

They are, though.  "Clothes are messy while you take them out from your wardrobe."  And later they say "wardrobes, drawers..."  The weird thing is that they don't just say "shelf," since that's neither a closet nor a wardrobe in the ad.

I'm an ESOL teacher, and that whole thing sounds exactly like something one of my students would write.

Edited by janie jones
  • Love 4

To begin with, it's a stupid product. Sure, make my t-shirts take up twice the space. But the grammar errors! "Wardrobe" doesn't have an 's' on it unless you're talking about furniture, which they aren't. And most of the 'dialog' sounds just slightly off, like something that came from Google translate.

What the hell did I just watch? It's like the robot child from "Small Wonder" now has a family of robots all programed by Sheldon Cooper!

• Love 3
8 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

I just saw the Pimple Popper MD commercial. I have no words for how disgusting this thing is except to ask what the hell is wrong with this country, where something like this passes as "entertainment"?

Considering it's on TLC, it doesn't surprise me. Nothing is too disgusting for that network.

• Love 5
21 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

I just saw the Pimple Popper MD commercial. I have no words for how disgusting this thing is except to ask what the hell is wrong with this country, where something like this passes as "entertainment"?

I flove this show!

26 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

I don't much care for the title, and I haven't seen commercials for it so I don't know how I feel about the promotion of it (since it's TLC, rather than Discovery Health, the answer would probably be negative), but the few times I've seen the show I've found it interesting, like I do most medical shows.  I've learned about skin conditions I didn't even know existed and seen some cool treatments. 

On ‎12‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 7:40 PM, peacheslatour said:

Has anybody seen the ad for Thryv? I guess it's small business software. Their mascot could be the brother of the over active bladder that's always dragging some poor lady off to the loo.

I thought it looked like a cross between that bladder and the Cologuard box.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 2
8 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

I'm curious about the Roomba commercial with the cat sitting on it when it's moving. Did they actually get a cat to do that or is it CGI?

There are tons of videos on You Tube of cats riding around on Roombas. Apparently it's a thing.

• Love 9
32 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

I'm curious about the Roomba commercial with the cat sitting on it when it's moving. Did they actually get a cat to do that or is it CGI?

TinyKittens in Canada had a popular viral video of a kitten they rescued named Cassidy who has two legs riding a Roomba. This one used to have the song Low Rider playing it but YouTube and Facebook removed the video when it included it. YT waited quite awhile before they took it down though. Shelly who started TK kept him since they have formed such a strong bond especially when he needed therapy, care and etc. to live then thrive.

• Love 6
12 hours ago, Brattinella said:

Okay, WTF is wrong with Warner Music that they have to block that OLD song?  It was released in 1975!!

They don't wanna pay royalties to the band/songwriter? The video folks didn't get proper licensing & pay the royalties? Could be several reasons, actually.

• Love 2
On 12/29/2018 at 9:32 AM, mojoween said:

In the Progressive ad where the agents are all protecting stuff in the neighborhood one says that the fire pit was last used at oh-six-hundred.

Who uses a fire pit at six o’clock in the morning?

Serial killer?

• Love 6
On ‎12‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 10:32 AM, mojoween said:

In the Progressive ad where the agents are all protecting stuff in the neighborhood one says that the fire pit was last used at oh-six-hundred.

Who uses a fire pit at six o’clock in the morning?

An ad writer who has no idea what 0 six hundred means.

• Love 15
On 12/16/2018 at 10:23 AM, Ubiquitous said:

There's a Ford ad I heard on the radio and I assume there's a TV version too, but there's a line where the announcer says that every "Bolt, stitch, and line of code is tested and retested". What the hell is he talking about?

A little inside information about this, because I was involved with the J.D. Power survey for new Fords.

The SYNC (MyFordTouch) touchscreen is a real pain to use.   This actually caused Ford products to fall in the reliability standings, even though it had nothing to do with reliability.  The notes we saw on a regular basis were:

"You have to scroll through three menus to change the warm air from defrost to floor!  Why can't we just have a knob like the good old days?"  And that counted as a defect.

So they are speaking directly to those people.  

On 12/25/2018 at 11:16 AM, sempervivum said:

'Best of Geico'- I think this is a faux/parody 80's ad based on the 'Best of the 60's' (etc.) music compilation ads. I'm so old that it took me a while to figure out that this was supposed to be hilarious, because the décor, clothing and hair look pretty familiar! In fact my initial thought was 'Huh, I used to have a sweater/jeans combo just like that lady is wearing...wait, are those high waist acid wash jeans with a bulky fair isle sweater tucked in? And those shiny bright brown boots....' Of course, in real life, there are no doubt millennials/teens who are frantically trying to find out where they can buy these clothes.

And, a little inside information about this, because I was involved in the surveys about Geico.  Older folks don't trust Geico because they are viewed as a Johnny Come Lately.  So that commercial is actually brilliant-- showing the "best of" to demonstrate that the company has been around a while.

Edited by TheLastKidPicked
  • Love 4
16 minutes ago, TheLastKidPicked said:

Older folks don't trust Geico because they are viewed as a Johnny Come Lately. 

I'm an older person and I know they've been around a long time. I even insured my car with them until I had a mid-life crisis and bought a Porsche. Geico would not insure the car.

• Love 3

I'm an older person and I know they've been around a long time. I even insured my car with them until I had a mid-life crisis and bought a Porsche. Geico would not insure the car.

You should be in the "Best of Geico/ Best of the 60's music compilation" ads.  With your taste in fast cars your song would be:

The Little Old Lady From Pasadena

Go Granny Go Granny Go Granny Go!

• Love 5

I'm curious about the Cover Girl make-up ad for the foundation that doesn't rub off. How do you get it off? Can you get it off with soap and water or some kind of solvent/make-up remover?

I haven't seen that commercial, but that's a good question.  This summer, I was maid of honor in a wedding, and since the bride, bridesmaid, and I all do not wear make-up (the two of them do occasionally, but I hadn't at all in nearly 25 years), the bride hired a make-up artist to paint our faces in a low-key style befitting three people who rarely/never wear make-up.  As the make-up artist finished with me, I had the sudden thought, "Wait - how do I get this shit off when I get home tonight?  Do I have to do something special or can I wash my face normally?"  In the absence of any specialty products, she suggested using baby oil, and then immediately washing normally.

I think that may have been mostly about the eye make-up though (I have largely repressed the whole ridiculous wedding exercise from my brain); I would hope even the most hardy foundation could be washed off without industrial-strength cleaners.

• Love 1
15 minutes ago, TheLastKidPicked said:

You should be in the "Best of Geico/ Best of the 60's music compilation" ads.  With your taste in fast cars your song would be:

The Little Old Lady From Pasadena

Go Granny Go Granny Go Granny Go!

I had my mid-life crisis at 35. I was in a DINK situation. I figured I might as well get the car I wanted. It was a chore to find someone to insure it at a reasonable cost. A friend told me about a Nationwide agent who might help. We had 2 other cars plus a home, and by bundling all of them, the insurance wasn't astronomical.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, chessiegal said:

Geico only half-insured my car when I was in college. It was the first time I'd bought my own insurance so I didn't read the fine print closely enough, and I'd never heard of liability-only insurance.

Turns out that's the only kind they offer for cars over 10 years old, which I discovered when my '77 Grand Prix was in what would've been a minor low-speed fender-bender if I'd hit something whose fender wasn't even with my grill. In 1987. SMH.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, chessiegal said:

I'm curious about the Cover Girl make-up ad for the foundation that doesn't rub off. How do you get it off? Can you get it off with soap and water or some kind of solvent/make-up remover?

I would imagine makeup remover, soap and water*, or a makeup remover cloth would get it off. There's a lot of foundation/makeup that's non-rub off.  I have some, along with makeup setter, that's how I get it off. 

• Love 2

This talk of makeup reminds me of that TV movie with a young Lindsey Haun and whoever was in charge of these things had put WAY too much makeup on her. She was about 9 and it looked ridiculous!

I want to show proper respect to the makers of those yellow sunglasses.  They must have millions of those things in some warehouse!  Yet, since the dawn of infomercials, they've stayed au courant in whatever it is their glasses claim they can do.  Hats off!

• Love 1
On ‎12‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 4:36 PM, Jamoche said:

Holy crap! Yu were not exaggerating about this commercial!

On ‎12‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 1:16 PM, sempervivum said:

What really clued me in was all the brass trim everywhere in the room, although I guess even that's coming back in style again.

Wait, there isn't a "Best of Geico"?

Progressive Flo's sister Janice is (by design) really annoying. But I can't help but think that her Instagram must be really popular if she can afford that big ass house.

• Love 9

I've only seen the full length version once but he's a security guard. After patrolling all night with his little dog he's stopping for lunch/dinner in the morning in the part of the commercial that always plays. It's not very clear without the setup, though.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Haleth said:

Why would a security guard bring his little Scottie (?) to work?  It would make more sense with a German shepherd, but I guess the dog food is only for little dogs?

That is a West Highland White terrier. I think he just brings it for company. I've worked in highrise buildings. The security guys were not there to battle evildoers, they're supposed to just call the cops.

• Love 5