Type keyword(s) to search

Say What?: Commercials That Made Us Scratch Our Heads

Lola16
  • Start Topic

36 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

Me too. I'd love to have one of those walk-in tubs. I have room for one. I wonder how many gazillion dollars they cost?

They are really expensive.  I remember one advertising a rebate of several thousand dollars, so you know the cost is $$$$$.

That being said, I'd love to have one.  I have terrible arthritis in my left leg and ankle.

• Love 3
On 2/19/2019 at 3:51 PM, Bastet said:

Re. the bolded:  Pun intended?  🙂

I had to look it up, and was amused to find this article complaining about the ad turning using a noun as a verb (and which links to an earlier article complaining about the pronunciation).

Heh. I thought it stood for Blurred Out Kid Everyone Hates. 

• LOL 5
7 hours ago, Maverick said:

There's a commercial for walk-in bathtubs that I'm wondering what the message is.   Some guy in a robe (not Pat Boone) is trying to get into his traditional tub but can't.  His wife, who's in the bathroom with him watching this, turns her back and calls about a walk-in tub.   This young call center hottie magically pops in and the two guys eye each other up (behind the oblivious wife's back).   The hottie snaps up a new tub like he's in I Dream of Jeanie and the two guys exchange more looks, which culminates in the older guy stripping off his robe and tossing it to the hottie.   Call center hottie shoots him a look like "yeah, I'd hit that" (I guess he''s into DILFs) and the guy climbs into the tub where he writhes around in the water like he's Meg Ryan in When Harry Met Sally....all while call center hottie is watching him.   The guy asks his wife "are you seeing this?"  Spoiler alert: she isn't, and she probably doesn't see the inevitable next seen where call center hottie shows the guy there's room for two in the tub--if you sit just right.      

This is cracking me up. What the hell :D? 

• Love 1
7 hours ago, Maverick said:

There's a commercial for walk-in bathtubs that I'm wondering what the message is.   Some guy in a robe (not Pat Boone) is trying to get into his traditional tub but can't.  His wife, who's in the bathroom with him watching this, turns her back and calls about a walk-in tub.   This young call center hottie magically pops in and the two guys eye each other up (behind the oblivious wife's back).   The hottie snaps up a new tub like he's in I Dream of Jeanie and the two guys exchange more looks, which culminates in the older guy stripping off his robe and tossing it to the hottie.   Call center hottie shoots him a look like "yeah, I'd hit that" (I guess he''s into DILFs) and the guy climbs into the tub where he writhes around in the water like he's Meg Ryan in When Harry Met Sally....all while call center hottie is watching him.   The guy asks his wife "are you seeing this?"  Spoiler alert: she isn't, and she probably doesn't see the inevitable next seen where call center hottie shows the guy there's room for two in the tub--if you sit just right.      

Good one. Took me awhile to figure out you made this up.

• LOL 1
20 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

Good one. Took me awhile to figure out you made this up.

It's actually a pretty accurate synopsis of the ad until after the guy removes his towel in front of a complete stranger; he doesn't toss it to him, and the rest is definitely not what's being broadcast.

It's his robe he takes off not a towel.  And he actually does toss it to the guy (who hangs it up for him).  The whole description is accurate save for the call center guy getting in the tub, which was just an extrapolation anyway. 

• LOL 2
10 hours ago, Maverick said:

It's his robe he takes off not a towel.  And he actually does toss it to the guy (who hangs it up for him). 

I should have remembered it was a robe, but what I've been seeing is a shorter version, missing bits like the guy hanging up the robe and the "are you seeing this?".

• Love 1
11 hours ago, Maverick said:

It's his robe he takes off not a towel.  And he actually does toss it to the guy (who hangs it up for him).  The whole description is accurate save for the call center guy getting in the tub, which was just an extrapolation anyway. 

This is not what I was expecting.  I see no sexual attraction between the two men.

• Love 1

The first time I saw that ad, I thought about him not bathing/showering until the new tub was installed - and then they went & installed it with a finger-snap! If only contractors were THAT prompt.  How do you avoid feeling like a dork, sitting there, nekkid, while the damn thing either fills or empties?  It can't fill any faster than your water pressure allows, can it?

• Love 2
41 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

How do you avoid feeling like a dork, sitting there, nekkid, while the damn thing either fills or empties? 

The ad with Eric Roberts says their tubs drain extra fast.  Another ad for these things says something about a heated seat that keeps your butt warm while the tub is filling. 

• Love 1
17 minutes ago, Jacqs said:

As someone noted on The Straight Dope, "did they cut out the part where Frankenstein's Monster shows up?" (FM kills a little girl via a pond/lake).

Remember when PIFs/PSAs were shown in prime time and were part of the culture?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=5YSKmMkQ7d0

Well, that got dark pretty fast. 

I mainly remember PSAs being shown later in the evenings when I was a kid, but I have seen some in the afternoon. They get even creepier when you see them late at night, though-something about being up late by yourself and hearing the ominous music and whatnot. 

51 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

Well, that got dark pretty fast. 

I mainly remember PSAs being shown later in the evenings when I was a kid, but I have seen some in the afternoon. They get even creepier when you see them late at night, though-something about being up late by yourself and hearing the ominous music and whatnot. 

With Children and Ponds, aside from resenting having my heart strings pulled so blatantly by the young child with flowing blonde hair, the bit where they switch her out for a very unconvincing dummy ruins the impact. Children and Ponds was meant to elicit fear not laughter.

• Love 1
On ‎2‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 11:09 PM, elle said:

The new Dawn commercial where it talks about being able to clean all the dishes left with you after you host a potluck at your house.

I have lived across the country and have been to too many potlucks to count.  Never I have seen anyone leave a dish for the host to clean.  You always make sure you claim your dish.

If you don't remember to take your dish home, it's mine.

• LOL 1
  • Love 6

At our animal hospital's Xmas party, we're always invited to Dr. E's house. The practice provides the meat and everybody brings the rest. Dr. E. *makes* you leave your dishes there and she washes 'em & brings them back to work, leaving a nice clean pile of bowls, plates, casseroles, etc. on table in the break room. We consider it part of our Xmas bonus.  hahaha.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

At our animal hospital's Xmas party, we're always invited to Dr. E's house. The practice provides the meat and everybody brings the rest. Dr. E. *makes* you leave your dishes there and she washes 'em & brings them back to work, leaving a nice clean pile of bowls, plates, casseroles, etc. on table in the break room. We consider it part of our Xmas bonus.  hahaha.

There's something mildly disturbing about the thought of the animal hospital providing the meat . . . .

• LOL 9
(edited)
19 hours ago, Brookside said:

There's something mildly disturbing about the thought of the animal hospital providing the meat . . . .

BHWHAHAHAHAHAHA!

These posts are better than the actual commercials.

Edited by TheLastKidPicked
  • Love 2
52 minutes ago, mmecorday said:

Maybe it's the kinds of channels I watch, but it seems like every other commercial is for a diabetes drug.

Same here. Oh, and reverse mortgages, pharmaceuticals, ambulance chasing lawyers, elder care and Medicare. God, it's depressing. 

Just now, peacheslatour said:

Same here. Oh, and reverse mortgages, pharmaceuticals, ambulance chasing lawyers, elder care and Medicare. God, it's depressing. 

Oops forgot life insurance.

• Love 4

Am I supposed to know who is wandering around gifting cupcakes to random people on the streets, using Mastercard?  Apparently I can see her backstage, but since I don't know who she is, I guess I don't care.

She's cute, whoever she is.

I'm still scratching my head over the commercial for one of those Credit Score websites (not sure which one) but it talks about this young lady, possibly an older-end millennial or possibly a gen-xer who due to her great credit rating is able to take a trip to Thailand where she happens to meet a 75 year old retired Thai fisherman and they wind up singing a karaoke duet to "These Dreams" by Heart in a Thai bar.   OK - did these two fall in love or is this supposed to be one of those awesome random moments that happened?  I'm not getting it.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Red Bridey said:

Am I supposed to know who is wandering around gifting cupcakes to random people on the streets, using Mastercard?  Apparently I can see her backstage, but since I don't know who she is, I guess I don't care.

That's Camila Cabello, the song in the ad, "Havana", is one of her hits.

Recently, my 20 yr old great nephew was ticked because I don't remember the ad for some gym. I told him the channels I watch are the old people channels, we get life insurance, reverse mortgages, nugenix, cb1 weight gainer (why? we're old, we want to lose weight, not gain it), the stuff with Rodney and Holly Robinson Peete, stuff for back and feet problems and of course exercise equipment for the home, not gyms.

• Love 6
6 hours ago, friendperidot said:

Recently, my 20 yr old great nephew was ticked because I don't remember the ad for some gym. I told him the channels I watch are the old people channels, we get life insurance, reverse mortgages, nugenix, cb1 weight gainer (why? we're old, we want to lose weight, not gain it), the stuff with Rodney and Holly Robinson Peete, stuff for back and feet problems and of course exercise equipment for the home, not gyms.

And that nasty ad for Ridex septic tank cleaner, where the obnoxious kid shames an overweight middle-aged guy about his bowel movements in front of a group of strangers.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Brookside said:

And that nasty ad for Ridex septic tank cleaner, where the obnoxious kid shames an overweight middle-aged guy about his bowel movements in front of a group of strangers.

I haven’t seen that one, just the ruined princess birthday party.

• Love 2
(edited)
23 hours ago, Red Bridey said:

Seeing that ad was one of those times that I realized I am turning into my parents. My first reaction was, "I don't know who she is, but she seems like a very nice young woman."

Edited by xaxat
  • LOL 8
  • Love 4

I can't locate the clip for this commercial, but, I think it's for Chewy dog food. (Please chime in if it's another brand.)  The rep is on the phone talking to the dog owner who's at home and explaining how wonderful their dog food is and they'll ship the food right to his house.  The dog owner is worried about the food he already has at hone for his dog, but ,the Chewy rep tells him to just donate that food to a local animal shelter.  lol  It's like, it's not good food, but, the poor dogs at the shelter can eat it.  They'll eat anything......lol.  I know they meant well, but, still it comes off as a little insensitive to the poor dogs who don't have a good owner to get them Chewy dog food. 

• Love 4
20 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I can't locate the clip for this commercial, but, I think it's for Chewy dog food. (Please chime in if it's another brand.)  The rep is on the phone talking to the dog owner who's at home and explaining how wonderful their dog food is and they'll ship the food right to his house.  The dog owner is worried about the food he already has at hone for his dog, but ,the Chewy rep tells him to just donate that food to a local animal shelter.  lol  It's like, it's not good food, but, the poor dogs at the shelter can eat it.  They'll eat anything......lol.  I know they meant well, but, still it comes off as a little insensitive to the poor dogs who don't have a good owner to get them Chewy dog food. 

Chewy is not a brand of dog food, it's a company that ships pet food. They are wonderful. My cat is on a prescription food for weight loss. I get her food shipped for free for cheaper than I can get from the vet. And Vets often tell you to donate food your pet can't eat anymore. Nothing wrong with that.

• Love 9

Chewy.com always tells customers to donate something the pet didn't like to an animal shelter rather than returning it (while still giving a refund/exchange).  They have a wonderful reputation for customer service, and I was nervous how things would change after being bought by Petco, but so far so good from what I hear (I don't order from them other than the occasional item, but I know people who routinely get their pet food delivered from them). 

The commercial I saw that included a scene like that was this one, a guy with a cat who's a picky eater:

• Love 5
24 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

Chewy is not a brand of dog food, it's a company that ships pet food. They are wonderful. My cat is on a prescription food for weight loss. I get her food shipped for free for cheaper than I can get from the vet. And Vets often tell you to donate food your pet can't eat anymore. Nothing wrong with that.

I had this happen to a friend. She ordered food for her cat and her cat died shortly after she received it. She had ordered a case and she wondered if she could return it and they said just donate it to the animal shelter. They not only refunded her money, they sent her a beautiful bouquet of flowers expressing their sympathy and sorrow at her loss.

• Love 22
1 hour ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I've used Chewy as well and they are most excellent. Sent me an email that something in my delivery wasn't available and I could choose something else and if it didn't make free shipping, they'd waive the shipping. It turns out I went a little crazy but I have only had good experiences with their customer service. I love them.

What I don't like about a Chewy ad is the lady calling saying she has a puppy and needs food. And then she says that the puppy thinks the house is a bathroom. And I'm like, lady. You adopted a puppy. They pee and poop in the house. They chew things. What the heck did she expect. Also, dogs don't know how to use bathrooms or toilets either, so are you sure you know what you're doing?

• Love 7
24 minutes ago, frenchtoast said:

Also, dogs don't know how to use bathrooms or toilets either, so are you sure you know what you're doing?

I'm pretty sure my dogs think the bathroom is live theatre, because if I'm in there, they have front row seats to watch whatever I happen to be doing. lol 

You all are making me want to go work for Chewy.com. It sounds like a good company that cares about animals. 

• LOL 5
  • Love 10
16 minutes ago, Mabinogia said:

I'm pretty sure my dogs think the bathroom is live theatre, because if I'm in there, they have front row seats to watch whatever I happen to be doing. lol 

My cats are the same way. Something about bathrooms that fascinates pets, apparently :D. 

• Love 8
14 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

My cats are the same way. Something about bathrooms that fascinates pets, apparently :D. 

I think it's the captive audience thing. My elderly cat used to love to jump on my lap while I was, er, seated.

• LOL 7
  • Love 3
10 minutes ago, Ashforth said:

I think it's the captive audience thing. My elderly cat used to love to jump on my lap while I was, er, seated.

With the dogs, I always kind of assumed it was payback for us watching them poop in the yard. lol I can just see the thought bubble over Sadie's head, "Yeah, not as easy when you have an audience, is it?" 

• LOL 11
  • Love 3
12 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

They are there to make sure that when the swirly part happens, we don't go down with it. The pets, even the cats, are there to protect us from inadvertent contact with water.

My cat jumps up on the seat and watches the water go round and round with his head rotating along with it. When the water pops back up he jumps back like he's amazed. Every time. He's 13 years old.

• LOL 17
  • Love 7