Type keyword(s) to search

Say What?: Commercials That Made Us Scratch Our Heads

Lola16
  • Start Topic

10 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

No, buying a car SHOULD NOT take place entirely online.  It's not like buying a dvd at Amazon.

I agree, I can do preliminary research, but I want to see, to test, to touch, to sit in the seats, I'm short, 4'11", I can't drive just any car, they don't fit. I moved 3 years ago this summer, my nephew moved me. I haven't seen any of my 5 winter coats since I moved. I got by with a couple of cheap hoodies I bought at Walmart until this year. I'm in OK, so it's not like we freeze for 4 months, we just think we are if the temp drops below 40. We have a couple of super horrible cold days a year, can use a coat for a few months, but it's not like when I lived in more northern places. But I decided to get a new coat this year. Since I no longer have a car, it's hard to get out and shop. I tried to shop on line, I've bought 2 coats, one was totally worthless, just fake ones, I donated it. The next one is kind of cute, but it's too light, it'll be fine in the fall and spring, but it is not suitable for really cold. I got tired of this nonsense, I get my prescriptions once a month at a pharmacy/grocery store next to a Burlington, I did buy a coat there, but it's entirely too big, I'll be giving it a friend, there wasn't much selection in late January. But in August? I'll be heading to Burlington and I'm buying a winter coat, heavy enough and with pockets for putting my gloves, my hands, my hands in gloves...

There are just things you need to try in person. And it's getting harder and harder to shop in person, all the stores are closing, the malls are losing stores, the malls are closing. For some things, shopping on line is perfectly fine, but for others, I want to see, to touch, to try on.

• Love 8

Their business model covers a good deal of that. You either get it at a vending machine or they deliver it to you. You then have 7 days to test drive, send it to a mechanic for inspection, etc. The part they're trying to eliminate is the "being at the dealer and talking to humans and haggling", not the in-person evaluation of the vehicle.

• Love 3
12 hours ago, friendperidot said:

I agree, I can do preliminary research, but I want to see, to test, to touch, to sit in the seats, I'm short, 4'11", I can't drive just any car, they don't fit.

I'm tall, so I have a similar problem, but even if you know exactly which model and option package you need, it's a used car, so each Is an individual. There's an ad (not sure for which company) where a wife takes over a car search from her husband and quickly announces success, at $2K below market price. My immediate reaction is "so what's wrong with it?".

• Love 1
On ‎02‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 11:36 PM, theatremouse said:

Their business model covers a good deal of that. You either get it at a vending machine or they deliver it to you. You then have 7 days to test drive, send it to a mechanic for inspection, etc. The part they're trying to eliminate is the "being at the dealer and talking to humans and haggling", not the in-person evaluation of the vehicle.

It still doesn't work for me.  The whole "return it if you don't like it" thing is more of a hassle than dealing with the car dealer.  Car buying is not like buying other items.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 1
On ‎02‎/‎09‎/‎2019 at 1:51 AM, janie jones said:

Are you sure it isn't "hassle free deposits"?

Nope, it's for a bank card from Aspiration, and it specifically says "fossil fuel free deposits".  Apparently the bank only invests in funds which are fossil fuel free or something.

24 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

It still doesn't work for me.  The whole "return it if you don't like it" thing is more of a hassle than dealing with the car dealer.  Car buying is not like buying other items.

How different is it from going to the dealer, test driving a car and then ordering or tracking down a car with all the specs you want?

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, cynicat said:

How different is it from going to the dealer, test driving a car and then ordering or tracking down a car with all the specs you want?

I've never ordered a car in my life.  I've always found the car with the specs I wanted on the lot.  I do the research online and go to the dealers who have what I want.

The idea of returning a car after going through the loan process seems like an extreme pain in the ass to me.  I wonder how that might affect someone's credit score.  Does it count as a loan which is paid off?  And then another loan right after it for the car you actually keep?  Just a whole lot of unnecessary hassle, imo.

• Love 5
7 minutes ago, cynicat said:

Carvana is selling used cars, so even if you track down one with everything you want on it, it is going to be different from others of the same make/model/options.  For that reason alone, I wouldn't buy one without test driving the specific car I'm going to buy.  I would rather do that before, rather than after, buying it.

• Love 3
10 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

The idea of returning a car after going through the loan process seems like an extreme pain in the ass to me.  I wonder how that might affect someone's credit score.  Does it count as a loan which is paid off?  And then another loan right after it for the car you actually keep?  Just a whole lot of unnecessary hassle, imo.

If you buy a different car from them instead, would it be a new loan, or just change what's being used as collateral for the existing loan, avoiding the hassle? That would be an incentive to stay with them.

1 minute ago, LoneHaranguer said:

If you buy a different car from them instead, would it be a new loan, or just change what's being used as collateral for the existing loan, avoiding the hassle? That would be an incentive to stay with them.

I suppose it would.  But what if you didn't buy a different car?

It's all academic for me, since I would never buy a car that way.

1 hour ago, proserpina65 said:

Nope, it's for a bank card from Aspiration, and it specifically says "fossil fuel free deposits".  Apparently the bank only invests in funds which are fossil fuel free or something.

Is this one of those places that accepts cars and lawn mowers as payment? 

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
On 2/14/2019 at 9:46 AM, proserpina65 said:

Thank you!  I could not remember the name of the bank card, that is how much it made an impression on me.  Thanks too for clearing up to what that phrase was referring.

My late, great cat developed an allergy to her food; it was suggested she eat some Royal Canin. She hated it. We eventually got her settled on Science Diet Venison & Green Pea. Poor Scooter had to eat that the rest of her life. 

Now Stella's decided to be picky about her food and has stopped relishing anything I buy her. She eats it because she's hungry.  I still won't try RC food for her.  (Bosco will eat anything.)

• Love 1

I happen to know what bokeh is, but is it a well enough known word to make it the focus of an ad?

On 2/10/2019 at 9:40 AM, SmithW6079 said:

but I thought The General was some third-rate car insurance company of last resort.

They pretty much admitted that in their older ads.

Edited by xaxat
  • Love 1
4 minutes ago, xaxat said:

I happen to know what bokeh is, but is it a well enough known word to make it the focus of an ad?

Re. the bolded:  Pun intended?  🙂

I had to look it up, and was amused to find this article complaining about the ad turning using a noun as a verb (and which links to an earlier article complaining about the pronunciation).

• Love 1
On 2/17/2019 at 6:26 AM, smittykins said:

I think this has been mentioned before, but the Royal Canin breed-specific dog foods—what are you supposed to do if you have a mutt?

"A lab and a golden retriever are very different."  No, they are not.  Really dumb advertising.

16 hours ago, xaxat said:

Wouldn't it make more sense for a mom to be upset that her child was not blurred out of someone's FB photo?  I wouldn't want people posting pics of my kids.  More dumb advertising.

• Love 6
7 minutes ago, Jamoche said:

There's a Pizza Hut ad that starts out with a perfect parody of the "Oh. My. God. Becky." opening to Baby Got Back - but is the target audience for a pizza ad even aware of that video? The song, sure, but when's the last time you saw any videos? I couldn't even find a non-fuzzy version on Youtube.

I don't know, maybe the target audience is 40-somethings with teenagers to feed. Except the commercial is millenials at a party. So yeah, I find the commercial perplexing as well.

• Love 3
26 minutes ago, Jamoche said:

There's a Pizza Hut ad that starts out with a perfect parody of the "Oh. My. God. Becky." opening to Baby Got Back - but is the target audience for a pizza ad even aware of that video? The song, sure, but when's the last time you saw any videos? I couldn't even find a non-fuzzy version on Youtube.

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/Iy1Y/pizza-hut-ultimate-cheesy-crust-pizza-look-at-that-crust-song-by-sir-mix-a-lot

Yeah. I was wondering why Pizza Hut would want to associate their pizza with big butts.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, xaxat said:

Yeah. I was wondering why Pizza Hut would want to associate their pizza with big butts.

Eat so much you get a big butt :p? I dunno. But yeah, I found that song choice odd, too.

(Also, the idea that there will be people seeing that commercial who aren't familiar with that song makes me feel old.) 

• Love 3
25 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

Also, the idea that there will be people seeing that commercial who aren't familiar with that song makes me feel old.

I wonder if the actresses in the commercial had to have it explained to them. They were SO not alive yet when that song came out.

• Love 3
On ‎2‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 12:06 PM, proserpina65 said:

I hate those Carvana commercials.  No, buying a car SHOULD NOT take place entirely online.  It's not like buying a dvd at Amazon.

I would agree, except that both of my sons bought cars online.   

16 hours ago, Haleth said:

"A lab and a golden retriever are very different."  No, they are not.  Really dumb advertising.

Right.  give a golden retriever a short haircut, and it looks just like a lab.  

• Love 1

Maybe it's my complete lack of knowledge about brands of cars.   But I don't get the Buick commercials. 

"here's your Buick."   "No, THAT'S my Buick!" 

"That's your car? I thought you had a Buick"   "This IS my Buick"

OK - so I guess people have an idea of what a Buick looks like, and they're fooled?  but why?  they show two perfectly acceptable looking cars, and then they have this inane conversation about which one looks like a Buick - but surprise!  they're BOTH Buicks!  Yeah, they all look like regular cars to me.  

• Love 4

The new Dawn commercial where it talks about being able to clean all the dishes left with you after you host a potluck at your house.

I have lived across the country and have been to too many potlucks to count.  Never I have seen anyone leave a dish for the host to clean.  You always make sure you claim your dish.

• Love 11
5 hours ago, elle said:

I have lived across the country and have been to too many potlucks to count.  Never I have seen anyone leave a dish for the host to clean.  You always make sure you claim your dish.

I thought the same thing when I saw that commercial.  Maybe it's a regional thing?  As a host, you always make sure the guests leave with their dishes.   Thinking back now, many of the potlucks I have been to were held at places without kitchens, so maybe that's it.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, elle said:

The new Dawn commercial where it talks about being able to clean all the dishes left with you after you host a potluck at your house.

Exactly!  I wouldn't think of leaving dirty dishes for the hosts to clean.  The lady in the commercial needs to find better friends.

• Love 3
8 hours ago, tinkerbell said:

Maybe it's my complete lack of knowledge about brands of cars.   But I don't get the Buick commercials. 

"here's your Buick."   "No, THAT'S my Buick!" 

"That's your car? I thought you had a Buick"   "This IS my Buick"

OK - so I guess people have an idea of what a Buick looks like, and they're fooled?  but why?  they show two perfectly acceptable looking cars, and then they have this inane conversation about which one looks like a Buick - but surprise!  they're BOTH Buicks!  Yeah, they all look like regular cars to me.  

Because Buicks had a rep of being stodgy "old people" cars. They're so hip now. They look like regular cars! It's not grandpa's old stodgy stuffy car! 

At least that's the best I can do. 

• Love 5

Buick has a reputation for making sedans, not SUVs/crossovers, which have become increasingly popular (and profitable for the companies). So the ad attempts to challenge expectations by having the first person look at a Buick sedan only to be corrected that "my Buick" is the SUV.

• Love 2
23 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Coffee Mate NON DAIRY "creamer" is churned three times? If there are no dairy products in it what are they churning?

Yeah, I don't know either, but I HATE the voice-over woman's reading of those lines 'It's richarrrr' and 'It's triple tchurnnnned' -some vocal fry thing that makes me grit my teeth! (I guess this may belong in 'commercials that enrage' thread)

• Love 2

I know advertisers assume that the collective memory of their audience is about two years, but I really don't understand KFC using the movie RoboCop as a reference.

Standards have changed, but back when it was released, it was one of the most violent movies ever. It also seems like a fairly obscure reference where most people who have seen it remember the blood and the scene where that guy melts.

It was also really good movie.

• Love 1
On ‎2‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 12:33 AM, tinkerbell said:

OK - so I guess people have an idea of what a Buick looks like, and they're fooled?  but why?

My father whenever he was annoyed by a driver of a big ugly car called it a "big Buick" no matter what make it was.  So people do have a certain idea of what a Buick is.

On 2/23/2019 at 11:33 AM, peacheslatour said:

Coffee Mate NON DAIRY "creamer" is churned three times? If there are no dairy products in it what are they churning?

Powdered creamer is the devils work. Nasty shit that needs to be in the trash. 

Edited by QuinnInND
  • Love 8
14 hours ago, xaxat said:

I know advertisers assume that the collective memory of their audience is about two years, but I really don't understand KFC using the movie RoboCop as a reference.

There was another RoboCop movie in 2014, but I think this is more that the 80s are now hitting the nostalgia zone.

There's a commercial for walk-in bathtubs that I'm wondering what the message is.   Some guy in a robe (not Pat Boone) is trying to get into his traditional tub but can't.  His wife, who's in the bathroom with him watching this, turns her back and calls about a walk-in tub.   This young call center hottie magically pops in and the two guys eye each other up (behind the oblivious wife's back).   The hottie snaps up a new tub like he's in I Dream of Jeanie and the two guys exchange more looks, which culminates in the older guy stripping off his robe and tossing it to the hottie.   Call center hottie shoots him a look like "yeah, I'd hit that" (I guess he''s into DILFs) and the guy climbs into the tub where he writhes around in the water like he's Meg Ryan in When Harry Met Sally....all while call center hottie is watching him.   The guy asks his wife "are you seeing this?"  Spoiler alert: she isn't, and she probably doesn't see the inevitable next seen where call center hottie shows the guy there's room for two in the tub--if you sit just right.      

• LOL 4
  • Love 1