Type keyword(s) to search

Say What?: Commercials That Made Us Scratch Our Heads

Lola16
  • Start Topic

9 hours ago, Ashforth said:

How can it be that I just noticed over the last two weeks that Amazon's "arrow" logo is a penis?

I never saw that before, but now it's all I see.  Of course, from the looks of it, Amazon should check out that commercial for peroni's disease to help fix that curve...

• Love 9
13 hours ago, Ashforth said:

How can it be that I just noticed over the last two weeks that Amazon's "arrow" logo is a penis?

You have a dirty mind.  LOL  It's a smile that goes from A to Z.

• Love 7
11 hours ago, Haleth said:

You have a dirty mind.  LOL  It's a smile that goes from A to Z.

Having seen the peen, I can't un-see it! I'm doomed to see the cheerful Amazon schwing as a dick from now on.

image.thumb.png.cbd8cd59180d52cd02c96f3e4714514c.png

Edited by Ashforth
  • Love 12
7 hours ago, xaxat said:

"The Chevy family"?

Kind of awkward timing given that GM (Chevy's parent company) just announced that they are going to have massive layoffs.

"Aunt Betty?  Uncle Joe? Would you stop by my office at the end of your shift?"

• Love 7
On ‎11‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 1:21 PM, OmegaX123 said:

That's Mrs. Butterworth's, not Aunt Jemima. I'm pretty sure Mrs. Butterworth is meant to be white, she just looks darker-skinned because of the syrup/the material the bottle's made of/whatever.

She's not any race - she's just an anthropomorphized syrup bottle.

• Love 9
6 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

Yeah. Saying Butterworth is a black woman just because she's made out of brown syrup has to be one of the more stupid things i've seen.

• Love 2
On 12/3/2018 at 1:44 PM, proserpina65 said:

I mean, you can't tell someone's race by their voice, and advertisements won't necessarily reflect the intention of whoever invented her, but I feel like if Mrs. Butterworth were supposed to be black, they'd make her "sound black" somehow, rather than vaguely English.  

• Love 3
14 hours ago, janie jones said:

I mean, you can't tell someone's race by their voice, and advertisements won't necessarily reflect the intention of whoever invented her, but I feel like if Mrs. Butterworth were supposed to be black, they'd make her "sound black" somehow, rather than vaguely English.

They did early on when the company used a dark brown glass bottle. The voice has changed multiple times since. The "English" voice sounds like a deliberate effort to stop anyone from associating a race with the character.

• Love 3
On ‎12‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 11:23 PM, Jacqs said:

Yeah. Saying Butterworth is a black woman just because she's made out of brown syrup has to be one of the more stupid things i've seen.

I think they confused Mrs. Butterwork with Aunt Jemima.  I think it was just a mistake.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, funky-rat said:

I think they confused Mrs. Butterwork with Aunt Jemima.

In the 1960s Mrs. Butterworth was played by Cliff Arquette (AKA, Charlie Weaver), so she was transsexual.

Edited by Tom Holmberg
  • Love 14

I feel bad about this, but after seeing a Microsoft commercial that has been playing a lot lately, I'm not 100% sure what they are trying to tell me.  It's the one when a kid is rushing to get somewhere on a bike, letting other know that a certain kid is "Going to do it!".   Basically a handicap boy beats a game he's playing.  I think it's due to the controller that he's using giving him the ability to play the game.  Am I right?  It's a very touching commercial, I'm just confused about the whole point.

• Love 2
32 minutes ago, BigBingerBro said:

I think it's due to the controller that he's using giving him the ability to play the game.  Am I right? 

I don't think they are concerned with the controller, I think the point is that anyone can be a winner using their computer (so buy more Microsoft products).

Edited by Tom Holmberg
  • Love 2
On 11/15/2018 at 4:31 PM, peacheslatour said:

They're supposed to be "edgy".

BREAKING NEWS!!!!!!!!!!!

Toyota has a sale on cars!!!!!!!!

and Jan coppock is still an annoying "go to" girl

and when it comes to edgy,,,wish toyota would just get to the edge and If iwas right behind them.

On 12/2/2018 at 6:29 PM, Ashforth said:

Having seen the peen, I can't un-see it! I'm doomed to see the cheerful Amazon schwing as a dick from now on.

image.thumb.png.cbd8cd59180d52cd02c96f3e4714514c.png

but then it looks neutered

• Love 5
On 12/8/2018 at 12:40 AM, friendperidot said:

Then they're right up there with Macy's! And their "ONE DAY SALE! all the freaking time.

IKR

It's not a One Day Sale if it's going on practically every day.

• Love 4
On 11/10/2018 at 8:55 PM, Ubiquitous said:
  • Why is the guy ordering Dominos Pizza for supper in the middle of the afternoon and interrupting his family's lives?

Good question. I have to side-eye the mom teaching the class who rushes out saying, "You're never going to use this anyway." Okay, but don't look funny if they don't pay attention to you next class because they feel they're "never going to use it."

Also, is the App saying "Dom" or "Dong"? I can't tell.

• Love 5

Wasn't paying much attention to the tv a few minutes ago, but the ad was for Grubhub, a service, I think nationwide, that you select whatever you want from the menus of the restaurants they have and they deliver for a fee. I don't mind the idea, in fact, not having a car and no way to get to most places besides a couple of fast food places, I've thought about trying them, just haven't yet. I do get pizza and Chinese Delivery on occasion. However, I looked at the screen in time to hear the tag end of the ad and see the closed captioning  - which said something about all the major toys at Target. I laughed because I thought it was an interesting juxtaposition. 

As to the young people on the Shriner's ads, I think some of them have grown up since the ads were made. But what bugs me is the sped up speech. They sound like the Munchkins in the Wizard of Oz! And I do love what Shriner's does. They helped one of my nieces when she was young, paid for her surgery, the flight for my Mom and my niece and put my Mother in their housing for the couple of days my niece was in their hospital. We could not afford to get my niece that surgery. And even though the Doctor said it was necessary as a preventive, the state Medicare system wouldn't pay for it. My niece was her foster child and granddaughter, she was on one of my Mom's insurance policies, but Mom was retired and on Medicare and my niece was on Medicaid.

• Love 4

I use GrubHub frequently. I've found that at peak times, the minimum purchase required can be higher than at slower times.  Depending on the day & time of day, City BBQ ranges between no minimum and $40.  FORTY DOLLARS is a lot of BBQ for one person. I heated up a frozen pizza instead.  LOL.

• Love 4

my family never lets me forget the time we were at a pizzeria. I intended to ask for double pepperoni on my pizza but i was distracted by the cute waiter and asked for double penetration, instead. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 21
10 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I use GrubHub frequently. I've found that at peak times, the minimum purchase required can be higher than at slower times.  Depending on the day & time of day, City BBQ ranges between no minimum and $40.  FORTY DOLLARS is a lot of BBQ for one person. I heated up a frozen pizza instead.  LOL.

I wish I lived somewhere where I could get GrubHub to deliver something to me besides Chinese or Italian food.  Unfortunately I live in the sticks, and the nearest Moroccan/Middle Eastern/Mediterranean/Turkish/Greek restaurants are too far away for delivery.

• Love 2
10 hours ago, Jacqs said:

my family never lets me forget the time we were at a pizzeria. I intended to ask for double pepperoni on my pizza but i was distracted by the cute waiter and asked for double penetration, instead. 

I'm glad I finished my morning coffee before reading this. Otherwise it would be all over my monitor right now!

• Love 6
10 hours ago, Jacqs said:

This post was so great that I liked then unliked and liked it again just so I could like it twice.

• Love 10
2 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I wish I lived somewhere where I could get GrubHub to deliver something to me besides Chinese or Italian food.  Unfortunately I live in the sticks, and the nearest Moroccan/Middle Eastern/Mediterranean/Turkish/Greek restaurants are too far away for delivery.

Grubhub isn't available at all in my area.  I tried my ZIP code and the next town over and no dice.

• Love 3

Ugh, I had a bunch of head scratchers to contribute but as soon as I log in to post them...

There's a Ford ad I heard on the radio and I assume there's a TV version too, but there's a line where the announcer says that every "Bolt, stitch, and line of code is tested and retested". What the hell is he talking about?

On ‎12‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 9:00 PM, InDueTime said:

Good question. I have to side-eye the mom teaching the class who rushes out saying, "You're never going to use this anyway." Okay, but don't look funny if they don't pay attention to you next class because they feel they're "never going to use it."

Also, is the App saying "Dom" or "Dong"? I can't tell.

The chorus says "Dong", like some sort of dinnertime doomsday clock.

On ‎12‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 1:56 AM, Jacqs said:

"Made with love!"

• Love 2
34 minutes ago, Ubiquitous said:

There's a Ford ad I heard on the radio and I assume there's a TV version too, but there's a line where the announcer says that every "Bolt, stitch, and line of code is tested and retested". What the hell is he talking about?

Presumably they're referring to the various computer systems built into cars these days.

• Love 4
16 hours ago, Ubiquitous said:

I don't think there's THAT much software! 😀

Shortly after I bought my car (in 2014), the check engine light came on.  When my husband brought it in to the dealership, they told him they needed to download an update.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

Presumably they're referring to the various computer systems built into cars these days.

I don't think there's THAT much software! 

You would be wrong...there's more software in a typical new car than in a space shuttle or jumbo jet. 100 million lines of code in a typical car, projected to grow to 300 million very shortly.

So Ford's not wrong touting this, but maybe they should focus on why people don't see cars as "high tech". 

• Love 6

This is a British version of an ad I saw on TV but it’s the same mother and child.

This is going to sound really odd, but there is something off about this baby.  It’s like...a baby pretending to be a baby, and not quite pulling it off.  It’s weird.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, mojoween said:

This is a British version of an ad I saw on TV but it’s the same mother and child.

This is going to sound really odd, but there is something off about this baby.  It’s like...a baby pretending to be a baby, and not quite pulling it off.  It’s weird.

I presume the child actor in the commercial is older than a baby.

To begin with, it's a stupid product. Sure, make my t-shirts take up twice the space. But the grammar errors! "Wardrobe" doesn't have an 's' on it unless you're talking about furniture, which they aren't. And most of the 'dialog' sounds just slightly off, like something that came from Google translate.

• Love 4