Type keyword(s) to search

Say What?: Commercials That Made Us Scratch Our Heads

Lola16
  • Start Topic

3 hours ago, LoneHaranguer said:

I recall a Big Bang Theory episode where a character who had been drinking mentions stopping at Del Taco afterward, and I see the local Taco Bells are open an ample time after the bars close. So, snacks for drunks?

Our Taco Bell is open 24 hours, so it is THE spot to go for midnight munchies.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Not when there's a Waffe House around! For an alleged breakfast joint, they make a pretty fine cheeseburger.

You bet your ass if there was a Waffle House here I would be there, with bells on!

• Love 2

That asthma medication has a new commercial that continues the "Three Little Pigs" analogy at the grandson's birthday party. Gramps is wearing wolf ears and the grandson is wearing pig ears and the cake is shaped like a house inhabited by pigs and grandpa can't help blow out the candles and ugh, the symbolism is so forced and nonsensical!

On ‎1‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 10:22 PM, Brattinella said:

You bet your ass if there was a Waffle House here I would be there, with bells on!

Our goto place for late night chow was Village Inn. Around here, Waffle House seems to be staffed by former circus employee's, although I have to admit the new one near my house is pretty nice.

• Love 3
19 hours ago, Ubiquitous said:

That asthma medication has a new commercial that continues the "Three Little Pigs" analogy at the grandson's birthday party. Gramps is wearing wolf ears and the grandson is wearing pig ears and the cake is shaped like a house inhabited by pigs and grandpa can't help blow out the candles and ugh, the symbolism is so forced and nonsensical!

And while Gramps is droning on and on about his COPD, the candles are melting all over the cake.

• Love 3

As someone who hated Shirley Temple in both her tap dancing Girly Girl and her Better Dead Than Red Republican Party politician roles, i was unsettled by those who took glee at her COPD.

I've been seeing a Peloton ad that makes a big deal about there not being any incentives, and ends up asking how far you'd go. The obvious answer after that setup is  "not far", so it seems like they're talking viewers out of buying their product. Am I missing something?

• Love 1

There's a new (maybe new to me) Lysol commercial (it could be for a different cleaning product) that I think i finally get.  Two wedges of apple are placed in front of people and some cleaning solutions are squirted on the apples.  One turns brown and gross and the other doesn't.  I guess what they are trying to say is that there are additives in the cleaners that are bad?  I mean we're not supposed to eat cleaners, so really what difference does it make how they affect food....   Maybe I'm not getting it.   I'm either tuned out mentally to process what they are saying or the volume is too low.  Anyone else seen this that can explain?

• Love 1
15 hours ago, BigBingerBro said:

I mean we're not supposed to eat cleaners, so really what difference does it make how they affect food.... 

I haven't seen the ad, but if you're trying to clean up a food spill, wouldn't you want the one that attacks food rather than does nothing?

• Love 4

The ad is implying that the other cleaners leave residue behind. So that if you clean off the countertop, then put food on it, you’ll get cleaning agent residue on your food.

• Love 5
On ‎1‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 11:49 PM, Jacqs said:

Why do so many people like to make jokes about baby diapers and their wearers now needing adult diapers? There should be no shame in a medical episode.

Exactly, they'll be there too someday and find there should be no shame in it.

• Love 4

There's a commercial running on my local oldies channel for some kind of diet aid that makes you sleepy. Or something. Anyway, two women are texting about its wonders. One is white and the other is Filipino or something so they don't appear to be related. The white woman is perhaps 55 and the Filipino(?) girl is maybe 25, so they don't appear to be friends from the same social circle. And the white woman is texting from a part of the world where it's day while the Filipino girl is replying from someplace there it's night, so they don't even seem to be coworkers. So I realize that this sounds completely insane, but the thing that is driving me nuts about this commercial is trying to figure out, how in the hell do these people know each other? (It could be that the answer lies in the audio, but I hit the mute button as soon as commercials come on. So I might never know.) 

• Love 1

There was a lot of garbage during the Super Bowl last night, but the one that flabbergasts me the most is the beer one with Zoe Kravitz.  

Why is she whispering?    Why is she saying weird things about beer?  Why is she in a field?

• Love 3
1 hour ago, mojoween said:

There was a lot of garbage during the Super Bowl last night, but the one that flabbergasts me the most is the beer one with Zoe Kravitz.  

Why is she whispering?    Why is she saying weird things about beer?  Why is she in a field?

She's trying to max out the ad's bingo square coverage: https://www.mcsweeneys.net/articles/super-bowl-commercial-bingo

"Beer! Beer! Beer!", "So hot right now celeb in place of actual content", "WTF did I just watch?"

• Love 2

Re the Super Bowl ads:

Is stacking different flavors of Pringles like a sandwich actually a thing or is Kellogg's trying to make it a thing?

I laughed out loud at the Stella Artois commercial.

Dietz Nuts? No. Just no. Trying too hard.

Game of Thrones, I am disappoint. You'd think they would've gone with Guinness at least.

The NFL 100th anniversary ad was nicely choreographed. Probably took hundreds of takes though.

ASMR beer commercial. Okay. Alcohol and ASMR seems counterintuitive to me.

RoboChild was kind of creepy. Taxes are unpleasant enough.

Uh, Bubly, Key and Peele already did that bit.

• Love 1

Kelloggs has been trying to make Pringles stacking a thing for years. I don't know why it's even still around - sure, when you're 12, the shape is kind of cool, but then you actually taste the things and outgrow them pretty quick.

Edited by Jamoche
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, xaxat said:

That Bud Light/Game of Thrones mashup was weird. I don't see how either brand gained from associating with the other.

It made me even more ravenous for the season to start.  Beer is foul, but the tie-in was brilliant.

• Love 3
On 2/4/2019 at 12:25 PM, xaxat said:

That Bud Light/Game of Thrones mashup was weird. I don't see how either brand gained from associating with the other.

In all my years of living on this planet I have NEVER heard of anyone not drinking a beer because they thought it had corn syrup in it!  Is this really an issue with beer drinkers? 

Having said that I don't really care for the commercial except for the one part where one of the "knights" *shrug* gets stuck by lighting and you can see his skeleton thru his armor.  *giggle, giggle*

• Love 4
6 minutes ago, Dirtybubble said:

In all my years of living on this planet I have NEVER heard of anyone not drinking a beer because they thought it had corn syrup in it!  Is this really an issue with beer drinkers? 

Anheuser Busch, maker of Bud, is trying to make it a thing. They are trying to get more casual beer drinkers ( who aren't brand committed) by using the apprehension people have about corn syrup. It's actually sparked a spat between Big Beer and Big Corn.

What Anheuser Busch doesn't tell you is that they use it in other beers they make.

• Love 5
On 2/4/2019 at 3:05 PM, Browncoat said:

I don't even watch Game of Thrones (or drink beer), but I loved that ad.

I did too, but they should have fixed the king's scene. He shouldn't be gesturing that way with his beer while he's saying he's got his lucky loincloth. That should have come a moment later, when he mentions the product.

• Love 1
17 hours ago, Dirtybubble said:

It must be a Keto thing, jumping on the low carb bandwagon.  It is a funny commercial though.  I liked it better than the GoT crossover.  (RIP Oberyn Martell)

• Love 1

Can someone explain to me what "fossil fuel free deposits" are?  The phrase pops up during the commercial for a new bank card where we see a young woman jogging, buy a cup of coffee, get cash then buy flowers.

58 minutes ago, elle said:

Can someone explain to me what "fossil fuel free deposits" are?  The phrase pops up during the commercial for a new bank card where we see a young woman jogging, buy a cup of coffee, get cash then buy flowers.

Are you sure it isn't "hassle free deposits"?

• Love 1
35 minutes ago, janie jones said:

Are you sure it isn't "hassle free deposits"?

Could be. The pop up comes about the time it shows one can check both your spending and your "footprint".  I wish I could remember the name of the card to be able to check ispot.

On ‎2‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 9:54 AM, mojoween said:

There was a lot of garbage during the Super Bowl last night, but the one that flabbergasts me the most is the beer one with Zoe Kravitz.  Why is she whispering?    Why is she saying weird things about beer?  Why is she in a field?

Rush Limbaugh claimed someone was taking advantage of a psychological study that showed that people pay more attention to whispering than speaking loudly, among other things in that ad.

On ‎2‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 2:22 PM, xaxat said:

Anheuser Busch, maker of Bud, is trying to make it a thing. They are trying to get more casual beer drinkers ( who aren't brand committed) by using the apprehension people have about corn syrup. It's actually sparked a spat between Big Beer and Big Corn.

Busch is trying to get hipster millennial to buy their beer because it's not made with HFCS and is made with solar power (or was it wind power?).

I keep forgetting to mention this ad that occasionally goes into rotation here that I suspect is a generic one with space for the local person to put his name which features two cartoon birds harassing a woman with cataracts about her not-so-vibrant flower garden. Geez, she's got CATARACTS!

• Love 1

I don't get The General insurance commercials with Shaquille O'Neal. When did he become their spokesman? Does he own part of the company? I'm not mocking him for doing the commercials,  but I thought The General was some third-rate car insurance company of last resort. On the other hand, he does seem to have fun with them. 

1 hour ago, SmithW6079 said:

I don't get The General insurance commercials with Shaquille O'Neal. When did he become their spokesman? Does he own part of the company? I'm not mocking him for doing the commercials,  but I thought The General was some third-rate car insurance company of last resort. On the other hand, he does seem to have fun with them. 

I'm sure they are writing him a big check, and he does seem to have fun with them, so why not?  I doubt he is a customer, but not all (if any) celebrity spokespersons are users of the product/service they are pitching.

Edited by Moose135
On 2/9/2019 at 5:35 PM, Ubiquitous said:

Rush Limbaugh claimed someone was taking advantage of a psychological study that showed that people pay more attention to whispering than speaking loudly, among other things in that ad.

haven't seen that ad, but I was reminded, "if you want to capture someone's attention, whisper." A blast from the past, the 70s or 80s, perfume, I think, but I can't remember who the ad was for or who did it, a woman, maybe famous at the time, I just don't remember. But, I whisper this to my dogs frequently and it does get their attention if they're not being too rowdy.

• Love 2
16 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

Wait, what?  Carvana ad: "You can pick up your new car at one of our car vending machines."

Yes!  They just built one in Indianapolis.  I've driven past it many times.

2 hours ago, Tom Holmberg said:

Do you have to shake the garage real hard to make the car drop down?

I would hope that Carvana teaches its employees the right way to put a car into the garage so that it won't get stuck when you try to get it out.

• LOL 2
  • Love 4

OMG!  What's wrong with people now days?  Okay.  So, Volkswagon promotes parents lying to their kid's school principal REPEATEDLY so their kids can go on road trip to theme park!  

It starts out, "Poor Uncle Edward.  He's died 6 times this year."  Then, the kids leave school and get into their car for a great adventure.  Can't they have an adventure without lying to school officials and curtailing their studies?  It just sets a poor example, imo.  I guess that's no big deal anymore.  I just wasn't amused by it. Only offended. 

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/I1q9/volkswagen-atlas-hooky-t1

• Love 7
1 hour ago, LoneHaranguer said:

I would hope that Carvana teaches its employees the right way to put a car into the garage so that it won't get stuck when you try to get it out.

I hate those Carvana commercials.  No, buying a car SHOULD NOT take place entirely online.  It's not like buying a dvd at Amazon.

• Love 7