Type keyword(s) to search

Say What?: Commercials That Made Us Scratch Our Heads

Lola16
  • Start Topic

Oh thank you peacheslatour and mmecorday! I think it's a sweet commercial and I got chewed out on one of the boards for saying that I thought he brought his dog for company. I was told that security guards were paid to provide security. But many of those guys are retired and old, they aren't going to be able to do much more than call the cops. I know, I'm old and I really can't do all the things I used to do. Of course, my dogs are a lab and pit bull, but I'd rather have a little guy. 

• Love 5

I saw a promo for the DIY Network show Texas Flip and Move. It's home renovation show where they apparently relocate a house, renovate it, and sell it at a higher price.

So shouldn't the title be Texas Move and Flip?

In addition, I'm not sure if it is DIY, but some network is having a sweepstakes with a $2.3 million dollar home as the prize. That's a great prize, but how many people can afford to pay the taxes on their win to actually keep the home?

Edited by xaxat
  • Love 3

The houses get moved three times at least. Once from the locations they are purchased from to where they'll be renovated, from where they're renovated to the auction site and then again when the purchasers move them to whatever location they've chosen. I've always thought the word Move could go in the middle or at the end. 

• Love 1
On 1/1/2019 at 2:21 PM, xaxat said:

Progressive Flo's sister Janice is (by design) really annoying. But I can't help but think that her Instagram must be really popular if she can afford that big ass house.

I have a crazy love for Flo and the incredulous look on her face when she walks into Janice's mini-mansion is priceless.

Edited by Ashforth
  • Love 4
9 hours ago, xaxat said:

In addition, I'm not sure if it is DIY, but some network is having a sweepstakes with a $2.3 million dollar home as the prize. That's a great prize, but how many people can afford to pay the taxes on their win to actually keep the home?

That's the HGTV Dream Home - the total package including furnishings, vehicle, and something like $500,000 in cash makes the total. The cash makes it somewhat more probable to pay the taxes on the winning. But if you read the fine print if you enter to win it, they say you can take an all cash prize of lesser value, so you can use the cash to pay whatever taxes you owe.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, chessiegal said:

That's the HGTV Dream Home - the total package including furnishings, vehicle, and something like $500,000 in cash makes the total. The cash makes it somewhat more probable to pay the taxes on the winning. But if you read the fine print if you enter to win it, they say you can take an all cash prize of lesser value, so you can use the cash to pay whatever taxes you owe.

Lottery winnings are not taxed in Canada.

On ‎1‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 10:30 PM, xaxat said:

Not to mention property taxes, utilities, maintenance, furnishings, etc, etc.

Edited by Brookside
  • Love 1
On ‎12‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 4:39 AM, cynicat said:

Wow, that totally sounds like it went through the google translator.  Who says wardrobe instead of closet?  It reminds me of a Japanese cartoon made into English.  The more I listen to it, the funnier it gets.

"Clothes are a mess again even though you organize them hard!"

"Easy Tray organizes your clothes not to be messy"

It's hilariously nonsensical in places!  The company is Korean, so the copy is definitely a translation, though frankly it seems too good to be Google translate.

What I don't get is how the voiceover artist could follow the script without suggesting that it could do with some tweaking.  Or maybe she thought it was as funny as I do and intentionally left it mad! 

1 minute ago, stillhere1900 said:

There is also cash to cover those  expenses

Yes, sorry.  I went back to check, and I'd misread it as $50,000, which would be woefully inadequate.  $500,000 makes a lot more sense.  Thanks!

• Love 2
On ‎1‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 1:30 AM, xaxat said:

On 1/6/2019 at 1:30 AM, xaxat said:

Since you'll own the home, you can get a reverse mortgage to cover any expenses, including whatever initial taxes the cash doesn't cover and annual property taxes and upkeep.

• Love 1
On 1/4/2019 at 2:31 AM, CoderLady said:

I've only seen the full length version once but he's a security guard. After patrolling all night with his little dog he's stopping for lunch/dinner in the morning in the part of the commercial that always plays. It's not very clear without the setup, though.

Ah, the context helps explain it. In the ad they always play it just looks like an airline pilot (I think he's dressed like a pilot instead of a security guard) with his dog in a high rise conference room for some reason. But if there's a longer version with more context then that would explain it.

• Love 2
15 hours ago, Brookside said:

What I don't get is how the voiceover artist could follow the script without suggesting that it could do with some tweaking.

Well, I found the video on a reddit post from a voice actor who had tried fixing an audiobook he was working on and had been told not to change a single thing, even the commas that put pauses in unexpected places. So that's entirely possible!

On 12/14/2018 at 12:56 AM, Jacqs said:

my family never lets me forget the time we were at a pizzeria. I intended to ask for double pepperoni on my pizza but i was distracted by the cute waiter and asked for double penetration, instead. 

OMG.  That's horrible.  I don't know what emoji to put.  LOL or Smack to the face.

• Love 3
On ‎12‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 10:32 AM, mojoween said:

In the Progressive ad where the agents are all protecting stuff in the neighborhood one says that the fire pit was last used at oh-six-hundred.

Who uses a fire pit at six o’clock in the morning?

My neighbors, who invited loud friends over the prior night, and never went to bed.  :/

On ‎12‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 4:39 PM, Jamoche said:

Geico only half-insured my car when I was in college. It was the first time I'd bought my own insurance so I didn't read the fine print closely enough, and I'd never heard of liability-only insurance.

Turns out that's the only kind they offer for cars over 10 years old, which I discovered when my '77 Grand Prix was in what would've been a minor low-speed fender-bender if I'd hit something whose fender wasn't even with my grill. In 1987. SMH.

That sucks.  We had full coverage on our 20 year old beater car because the difference to drop full to liability was so small that we just left it, and figured if something happened, at least we'd get a little money toward another car.

On ‎1‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 3:31 AM, CoderLady said:

I've only seen the full length version once but he's a security guard. After patrolling all night with his little dog he's stopping for lunch/dinner in the morning in the part of the commercial that always plays. It's not very clear without the setup, though.

Kind-of like the Alexa commercials where celebrities are pretending to be her.  Apparently she lost her voice.  That commercial aired on the Super Bowl - something I don't watch.  Most people were kind enough to clue me in.  One wasn't so kind, but poo on them.

• Love 2

There are a couple of companies that are advertising erectile dysfunction meds by mail. While you need to consult a physician to get a prescription, it's apparently by text?

How does that work? I thought in order to get a prescription you actually had to have a doctor physically examine you. Height, weight, blood pressure etc. Cause I suspect there's more than a bit of lying when guys are trying to get those blue pills over the internet.

• Love 3
12 minutes ago, xaxat said:

There are a couple of companies that are advertising erectile dysfunction meds by mail. While you need to consult a physician to get a prescription, it's apparently by text?

How does that work? I thought in order to get a prescription you actually had to have a doctor physically examine you. Height, weight, blood pressure etc. Cause I suspect there's more than a bit of lying when guys are trying to get those blue pills over the internet.

Not sure how it works, but they may get permission to view your medical records.  I have a relative that gets his prescriptions through Canada, and that's how they do it.

• Love 2

I've been wondering this for a long time:  where are the regions where fungal infections are common?  I might be going there all the time and not realize it.

On the other hand, I'm willing to believe that this is a euphemism for something else, but I'm too old to figure it out.

• Love 10
25 minutes ago, meep.meep said:

I've been wondering this for a long time:  where are the regions where fungal infections are common?  I might be going there all the time and not realize it.

On the other hand, I'm willing to believe that this is a euphemism for something else, but I'm too old to figure it out.

Jungles, maybe? Third world countries? I don't know.

p.s. meep.meep, is that your tuxie?

Edited by peacheslatour
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, meep.meep said:

I would imagine anywhere that's humid, that's what most fungi prefer.

• Love 3

Are they talking regions of the world, or regions of the body?

• Love 4

California has a disease called Valley Fever, which is a bronchial infection caused by inhaling fungal spores.  I had it when I was a teenager.  It was horrible.

• Love 2

Hidden Valley Ranch - someone scraping it off someone else's clothes to eat it.

I made the mistake of going to their web site to check that I hadn't dreamt it, and learnt that you can buy merchandise advertising the product.  Who would spend money on that?

• Love 1
19 hours ago, Brookside said:

Hidden Valley Ranch - someone scraping it off someone else's clothes to eat it.

I made the mistake of going to their web site to check that I hadn't dreamt it, and learnt that you can buy merchandise advertising the product.  Who would spend money on that?

I've noticed they're rebranding as "HVR"

That is so hip.

• Love 5

Problem with watching the cheap antenna channels, Escape, H&I, Antenna and some of the less popular cable channels, Discovery Science, Travel, etc., is having to watch a lot of disgusting commercials, roach killer with lots of shots of live roaches, pimple popping - and that doesn't include the show with the name, dead skin scrapping. I mean really! 

And today I realized my favorite thing for laughing at Dr. Ho's back belt, is a misunderstood comment. I thought near the end of the ad, the announcer was saying, "get your Ho belt..." but he's really saying, "get your own belt..." I like my misunderstood comment better. Darn, there is no amusement in the cheap channel commercials. 

But, I don't get nearly as many Chevy commercials, or Ford Truck ads.

• Love 4

If you're not looking at the TV, it sounds like people are talking about how wonderful sheets are. So smooth, so soft, you'll never want to use anything else on your bed. Er, yeah?

If you do look up, then you find out they're Sheex.

• Love 2
On ‎1‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 3:29 PM, AuntiePam said:

I noticed they've been playing old Geico ads recently. I'm still tired of the caveman ones!

On ‎1‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 3:31 AM, CoderLady said:

I don't think I ever misunderstood that ad, but I was wondered why they allow him to bring his dog to work with him.

Here's a new head-scratcher: Why is that man using an online resume service to hire someone as an inspector for his football bobblehead assembly line? I am perplexed that he needs someone with a college degree to watch them go by on that conveyer belt and be dumped on the ground.

10 hours ago, Jamoche said:

If you're not looking at the TV, it sounds like people are talking about how wonderful sheets are. So smooth, so soft, you'll never want to use anything else on your bed. Er, yeah?

If you do look up, then you find out they're Sheex.

I did look them up. , the images, actually.  Those sheets wouldn't work for me.  They look slinky, silky and slimy to my eye.  I can't stand nylon or satin sheets or even a slinky nightie in bed. Plain, heavy percale and a huge, rug-like blanket is all I need or want.

• Love 5

An ad for Hyundai says you can tackle that pile of laundry, or you can do this, this meaning rock climbing.  The disclaimer at the bottom of the image of the lady rock climbing says “do not attempt.”

Well, if I can’t do it, then I guess I don’t need a fucking Hyundai now do I?

Also if there is a pile of laundry waiting to be done at home, I won’t enjoy myself anyways, because I’m just twitchy like that.

• Love 13
On 1/10/2019 at 10:45 AM, meep.meep said:

I don't know how the conversation with one's doctor would go, but I imagine there's a list/map of regions that have been deemed hot zones for these "certain fungal infections."  Whenever I donate blood, as a followup to the question about what countries I've visited, I've got to tell them the cities I've traveled to so they can verify they aren't in the danger zone.  (I can't remember if it's for dengue or malaria or what.)

Edited by janie jones
  • Love 3

Hoping the collective wisdom here can settle a debate for me and my daughter regarding the Geico Camel commercial.  I say that they are airing all the old commercials as they originally aired.  She is convinced that the camel one was redone because the "CGI is better" for the camel talking.  Any thoughts?  There's 5 cents riding on this.

7 hours ago, elle said:

Hoping the collective wisdom here can settle a debate for me and my daughter regarding the Geico Camel commercial.  I say that they are airing all the old commercials as they originally aired.  She is convinced that the camel one was redone because the "CGI is better" for the camel talking.  Any thoughts?  There's 5 cents riding on this.

I cannot say either way, but they had versions of different lengths.

10 hours ago, elle said:

I think it's the same commercial.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, QuinnInND said:

I think it's the same commercial. And one of my favorites. Along with Bob "WeHadABabyItsABoy". 

Sad but true, I remember when people did that!

This is me being OCD, but in the newest fake focus group Chevy ads in which successive car covers with the competition's names on them are pulled back, where do the car covers go? I don't see them laying on the ground in front of the trucks...

• Love 4
20 minutes ago, Tom Holmberg said:

The Original commercial

Snerk!  Well, yes, the CGI *is* better now.  

Thank you all for your responses!  It is nice to have confirmation that my memory isn't completely gone.