Type keyword(s) to search

Say What?: Commercials That Made Us Scratch Our Heads

Lola16
  • Start Topic

1 hour ago, Brattinella said:

I've never had chicken and waffles, but I'd be willing to give it a go! :)

Chicken & Waffles are amazing when done right.  Although the modern version of chicken & waffles started in Harlem, Roscoe’s House of Chicken and Waffles in L.A. made them famous. I've been to Chicago's House of Chicken and Waffles a number of times.  Everyone I've taken there, despite their original doubts, liked it.  KFC is offering C & W through the end of the year. 

Let's talk about the ads for BDO, Ask Marcum, etc.  Who's the audience for these? Really, do people who have the sort of money the people in the ads have, use TV ads to find advisors?  As for regular people, like us, what use would they be and would they even be interested in us?

Edited by Tom Holmberg
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, Brattinella said:

I've never had chicken and waffles, but I'd be willing to give it a go! :)

I make it a couple times a year. Crisp fried chicken, buttery Belgian waffles all with real maple syrup. It's heavenly. I often serve it with a  strawberry and pineapple lemon curd.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Tom Holmberg said:

Chicken & Waffles are amazing when done right.  Although the modern version of chicken & waffles started in Harlem, Roscoe’s House of Chicken and Waffles in L.A. made them famous. I've been to Chicago's House of Chicken and Waffles a number of times.  Everyone I've taken there, despite their original doubts, liked it. 

Yep, I always take doubters to Roscoe's, and then they're sold.  (I don't think I want to try chicken & waffles potato chips, though.)

That KFC commercial, with the colonel dancing with the bottle of syrup, overall amuses me, but I wish they'd used more moves from the actual Dirty Dancing dance rather than mostly generic stuff and then the lift. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

I make it a couple times a year. Crisp fried chicken, buttery Belgian waffles all with real maple syrup. It's heavenly. I often serve it with a  strawberry and pineapple lemon curd.

Oh dear, you just sent me over the edge with lemon curd!

• Love 1
12 minutes ago, Brattinella said:

Shiveringly good!

It's super easy. Just make some lemon curd (or cheat like I do with Jello cooked lemon pie filling) once it cools gently stir in some fresh strawberries, cut into small cubes or sliced and add some drained, crushed pineapple. Voila. It's very refreshing with the heavy fried chicken and waffles.

• Love 2

Wouldn't this constitute a life threatening emergency on the space station? Packing material floating around and getting in your eyes, ears, mouth, the life support system?

My problem with the KFC chicken and waffles ad isn't the product (chicken and waffles are really good). It's the combination of iconography of a barely post civil war image of a white Southern "colonel" (born 1890) with a barely post war image of a black Aunt Jemima (created 1889).

• Love 3
On ‎11‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 2:09 PM, peacheslatour said:

Nope, nope, nope.  All those things sound great separately, but chicken does not go with waffles for me.  Ever.

I am, however, mildly amused by that commercial.

• Love 4

All those winter-themed Christmas commercials in the middle of our summer scorchers baffle me. Santa in shorts, eating prawns is good but the shops have fake snow and frost, and Santa in his winter suit.

• Love 1

I so believe we're on our way to hell in a hand basket, and I do recall somewhere in some thread, either here or on TWOP, suggesting getting a bus. But tonight, was watching DWTS, and I won't talk about the correlation of that and us going to hell sooner rather than later, not here, but saw an ad for I guess the new season of The Bachelor. Holy F**K! I don't watch that mess, as I've stated elsewhere, the thought of that show makes my nose close up and my fingers close it off, but now there's a VIRGIN? Right after that ad ran about the lady with Ancestry who is from the toe of the very sexy boot of Italy, just proved my point.

I don't watch much network tv anymore and those ads are a big part of why. I get endless Nugenix with the big hunk, by the way, the codes are "bat, very, and hammer." And all of the Medicare supplemental plans and funeral expenses insurance and CD1 Weight Gainer - and to the lady who "gained 53 pounds" and is "super pumped" with the flatest affect ever, you really should have stopped at about 35 or 40 pounds, that 13-18 pounds is going to be hell to take off! 

And I've now seen several repeats of the Christmas present with the Peloton or however it's spelled. They sure are pushing the Bohemian Rhapsody movie, aren't they? And those ads are all over network and the cheap channels, and they'll keep going after Christmas because then it's weight loss season. Almost makes me look forward to tax preparation season.

Or maybe I'm just in a really bad mood.

• Love 6
On ‎11‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 10:55 AM, Cobb Salad said:

I came here to say the same thing and add:  I like waffles and I like chicken.  Together?  No way.  

19 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

Nope, nope, nope.  All those things sound great separately, but chicken does not go with waffles for me.  Ever.

I am, however, mildly amused by that commercial.

There are two kinds of chicken and waffles.  I never heard of the other until I became friends with someone from down south.

Southern style is bone-in fried chicken, served over a Belgian or otherwise sweet waffle, and covered in honey, maple syrup, or otherwise sweet sauce.

PA Dutch style is boneless skinless chicken, roasted until you can fork shred it.  It's served over a savory (not sweet) waffle, and topped with chicken gravy, and often served with mashed potatoes as a side. 

I'm all for trying new things, but I severely dislike mixing savory and sweet, so I take a hard pass on the southern style, and stick with what I know, because it's not sweet at all, and very savory.

• Love 2

That would be Kelly Ripa, whose very existence is a crime against humanity.

I heard her say Kelly, but I didn't bother to look at the tv. I agree with your assessment. I didn't mind her back in her soap opera days, because I didn't watch her show. I still don't watch her show, but she annoys the crap out of me now.

• Love 4

More evidence we're going to hell in a hand basket, a Heineken ad at 4 PM! With Dean Martin singing, "You're Nobody Til Somebody Loves You," no less. I'm pretty sure it's Dean Martin, I think (without looking it up) it's one of the songs he's famous for along with "Everybody Loves Somebody, Sometime." Ok, I looked up, it's a Dean Martin song. There's another ad with a song I'm not familiar with, thought it was Perry Como, but someone on one of these threads corrected me and said it was Dean Martin, I paid attention and they were right.

• Love 2

The Farmers ad where the guy gets the chain caught on his trailer hitch and knocks into a bunch of other cars says “yep, we covered it.”

Well yes.  I would certainly hope so because that is the very definition of an at fault accident.  However, what I want to know and you leave unanswered, is how much did that guys rates go up when you paid out the claims?

• Love 8
On 11/18/2018 at 8:21 AM, kariyaki said:

It's a "thing" in the south, especially lately. There are even chips.

Not all soul food is Southern. Wikipedia says historians "place the origin later, after the post-Civil War migration of Southern African-Americans to the North during the Reconstruction Era."

My grandmother is 95 and a fantastic Southern cook, and she'd never heard of it.

• Love 1
On 11/20/2018 at 10:41 AM, funky-rat said:

I severely dislike mixing savory and sweet, so I take a hard pass on the southern style,

This is where I'm located too. If what I love about fried chicken is its crunchy saltiness, why would I want to negate that with gooey sweetness? The idea is just painful to me.

• Love 2

The KFC waffle is too sweet.  I can’t tell if it already had syrup in it or not but it was the crustally kind of sugary sweet, where it didn’t have that waffley yummy flavor.  It’s a small waffle and I could only eat half.

In the Amazon ad where all the boxes are singing I can’t figure out why the one who is shushed at the end is in the little kids room.  That’s kind of mean, for the kid to have to look at that box and wonder about it for a month.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 1

So what was the imagry/metaphorical meaning Kohls was going for in the commercial with a housewife in the old west throwing gifts at people while being chased by what appear to be bandits before making a getaway on a running train by jumping into a boxcar full of Kols Bucks ™ and an accomplace cheering her on?

• Love 1
On 11/18/2018 at 8:53 PM, xaxat said:

My problem with the KFC chicken and waffles ad isn't the product (chicken and waffles are really good). It's the combination of iconography of a barely post civil war image of a white Southern "colonel" (born 1890) with a barely post war image of a black Aunt Jemima (created 1889).

That's Mrs. Butterworth's, not Aunt Jemima. I'm pretty sure Mrs. Butterworth is meant to be white, she just looks darker-skinned because of the syrup/the material the bottle's made of/whatever.

• Love 7
9 hours ago, OmegaX123 said:

That's Mrs. Butterworth's, not Aunt Jemima. I'm pretty sure Mrs. Butterworth is meant to be white, she just looks darker-skinned because of the syrup/the material the bottle's made of/whatever.

I remember Mrs. Butterworth's being black in the old TV commercials.

9 hours ago, chessiegal said:

I was FF through commercials today and saw an ad for a product that was a cardboard box labeled "Man Crate" that I gather is a subscription service that sends things a man would like. Really?

Don’t know if it’s a subscription or not but I got one for Mr. Duke for Xmas last year and he really liked it.

2 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Hah! The answer is CLEAR, y'know.

Have they changed the bottle? It used to be dark brown, with just enough transparency to see how much syrup was left. I think the color of the bottle was only intended to hide any crystallization of the syrup.

21 hours ago, chessiegal said:

I was FF through commercials today and saw an ad for a product that was a cardboard box labeled "Man Crate" that I gather is a subscription service that sends things a man would like. Really?

Why is that any worse than any of the hundreds of other subscription delivery services?

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, Brattinella said:

It is hair, straight and long.  Tied loosely in a bun or a snood.

That's what I thought. We really should get some. I love Mrs. Butterwoth's. Goes great with chicken and waffles.

*runs away*

Edited by peacheslatour
  • Love 14
1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

That's what I thought. We really should get some. I love Mrs. Butterwoth's. Goes great with chicken and waffles.

*runs away*

You'll have The Time of Your Life! *lift*

• Love 13
On 11/28/2018 at 1:06 PM, Silver Raven said:

Why is that any worse than any of the hundreds of other subscription delivery services?

Because "man crate" is too close to "man cave", which is a concept that needs to DIAF.

• Love 11